Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I wonder how much it dings your score. I could see some people just disappearing. Harder to repo a phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

smackfu posted:

What does the TV looking button (next to Menu) on the Apple TV remote do?

Oh, it's Home. Intuitive.

It would have been really cool if the Apple TV charged the remote via inductive charging. Maybe next time.

Next time might be three years from now.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

LionArcher posted:

So just to double check, the new phones will fit the same cases right? They didn't change the sizes at all in terms of thickness. Also, I'm currently on a t mobile nerd plan with a iPhone 5s. I bought it outright, and it's unlocked. Am I right in noting that I can keep my nerd plan and just get a new phone for basically 40 bucks a month with the new apple plan? If so that's a super sick deal.

If I recall correctly, the new ones are slightly thicker due to 3D touch. So some cases depending on how tight they are may not fit

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Is the iOS 9 GM out yet?

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

OldSenileGuy posted:

Is the iOS 9 GM out yet?

On the developer site, along with iOS 9.1 beta.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

LionArcher posted:

I'm currently on a t mobile nerd plan with a iPhone 5s. I bought it outright, and it's unlocked. Am I right in noting that I can keep my nerd plan and just get a new phone for basically 40 bucks a month with the new apple plan? If so that's a super sick deal.

Yep, the apple cases at least are for both the 6 and 6s.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

LionArcher posted:

I'm currently on a t mobile nerd plan with a iPhone 5s. I bought it outright, and it's unlocked. Am I right in noting that I can keep my nerd plan and just get a new phone for basically 40 bucks a month with the new apple plan? If so that's a super sick deal.

I think it requires being a plan with a carrier though...

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

I think it requires being a plan with a carrier though...

I mean I am on a plan. It's just a prepaid plan. I don't know if that counts...

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I'm digging the iPhone upgrade plan. My wife has a 6+ 64GB on AT&T Next 12 which is 12 payments to upgrade, 20 payments to pay off. It's about 42.50 a month. She can move to the Apple version of a phone lease (as that's really what it is, a lease), pay 40.75/mo and get AppleCare+ included in that price and still upgrade after 12 months. Works for me.

I'm Buy your own device through work, so I have to pay the 2 year contract price on my hardware. The subsidy is worth 450 dollars, but I can only upgrade every 2 years. A 6S+ 64GB will cost me 477 out of pocket after taxes and fees. If I can lease the phone for 40.75 a month including AppleCare+, and upgrade after a year I'm totally down with that.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

"You’re even free to choose the carrier and rate plan that work for you."

typo, first one i've seen on apple.com

RUSHED

To someone that asked what happens if you decide you don't want a new phone after a year, this plan requires a 2-year agreement.

And it starts at just over $32 a month. So it's really a deal that starts at a minimum of $777.84 for 2 years, plus tax.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Sep 9, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

cheese eats mouse posted:

I wonder how much it dings your score. I could see some people just disappearing. Harder to repo a phone.
Getting sent to collections is never good for your credit. Ignoring that, the phone is almost certainly going to get blacklisted from every carrier if you stop paying so now you not only have bad credit, but a useless phone.

MrDoDo
Jun 27, 2004

You better remember quick before we haul your sweet ass down to the precinct.
Does anyone know what will happen to carrier discounts with this new upgrade program? Currently I get $25 off my line on ATT because I am on Next. If I switch from Next to this new program its unclear to me if the discount is specifically tied to Next or it just bring your own device. The new upgrade program is much more appealing with an unlocked phone for traveling.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Michael Scott posted:

"You’re even free to choose the carrier and rate plan that work for you."

typo, first one i've seen on apple.com

RUSHED

What's the typo, I can't find it.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

MrDoDo posted:

Does anyone know what will happen to carrier discounts with this new upgrade program? Currently I get $25 off my line on ATT because I am on Next. If I switch from Next to this new program its unclear to me if the discount is specifically tied to Next or it just bring your own device. The new upgrade program is much more appealing with an unlocked phone for traveling.

That $25 discount would still be there, that's basically a "THANKS FOR NOT BUYING A SUBSIDIZED PHONE" discount.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Mattavist posted:

What's the typo, I can't find it.

That works * for you

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Michael Scott posted:

And it starts at just over $32 a month. So it's really a deal that starts at a minimum of $777.84 for 2 years, plus tax.

Buying the phone outright would cost $549 plus $99 for Apple Care Plus so $129.84 in interest. I'm feeling stupid, what would be the effective APR on that?

edit: It's over 18% APR. Jeez, just put it on a credit card. For reference the carriers are financing at 0%.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Sep 9, 2015

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

MrDoDo posted:

It shouldn't change. You're getting $25 off right now because you're not getting the 2 year contract subsidy and have a 10/15+ GB data plan. How you get your phone (full price purchase, AT&T Next financing, BYOD) doesn't matter. You're not taking AT&T's subsidy so you pay the lower device access charge.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

MrDoDo posted:

The $25 off is not tied to the phone installment, it's tied to being non contract. So you'll retain it since it isn't a subsidized phone from ATT.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

aBagorn posted:

That works * for you

No, work is correct. The carrier and rate plan work for you.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Three Olives posted:

Buying the phone outright would cost $549 plus $99 for Apple Care Plus so $129.84 in interest. I'm feeling stupid, what would be the effective APR on that?

The iPhone 6S should cost 649.99 when it's released. The regular 6 is now priced at 549 as it's now last generation.

MrDoDo
Jun 27, 2004

skipdogg posted:

It shouldn't change. You're getting $25 off right now because you're not getting the 2 year contract subsidy and have a 10/15+ GB data plan. How you get your phone (full price purchase, AT&T Next financing, BYOD) doesn't matter. You're not taking AT&T's subsidy so you pay the lower device access charge.

Great, thanks. Well I see no reason to change off of Next to this new plan then. Having the packaged Applecare plus an unlocked phone seems like a win to me.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

skipdogg posted:

The iPhone 6S should cost 649.99 when it's released. The regular 6 is now priced at 549 as it's now last generation.

Oops, missed that. It's still a worse deal than doing carrier financing although more convenient. You can always pay off the carrier financing whenever you want, pay it off with a credit card after one year, unlock and sell, pay off credit card. Or just trade it in through the carrier.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Mattavist posted:

No, work is correct. The carrier and rate plan work for you.

It sound super incorrect. Can we get a confirmation on this?

Choose a carrier and rate plan that work for you? Choose a carrier and rate plan that works for you?

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Michael Scott posted:

Choose a carrier and rate plan that work for you? Choose a carrier and rate plan that works for you?

After looking at it again, it's "the carrier and rate plan" that make it correct with work rather than works. You have to take both which makes it a plural direct object (you (understood) being the subject and you being the indirect object).

Though I could be talking out of my rear end.

Grammar talk.

MrDoDo
Jun 27, 2004

Three Olives posted:

Oops, missed that. It's still a worse deal than doing carrier financing although more convenient. You can always pay off the carrier financing whenever you want, pay it off with a credit card after one year, unlock and sell, pay off credit card. Or just trade it in through the carrier.

I don't see any reason why you can't do that on this new upgrade plan. If you ad in the cost of the Applecare it seems to work out to roughly the same as the carrier financing. You actually save a bit if you upgrade every year.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Michael Scott posted:

Carrier + Rate Plan are tied together, you can only choose one, you can't choose a rate plan and carrier independently, it's singular combination thus, work, right?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Not too interested in Apple TV, I will wait for it. Probably because I have 3 ATV's already and I am in no rush to upgrade. The phone looks neat and LOL@16GB with 4K video on board. That will give you a solid ~10 minutes of video assuming your phone is nearly empty of stuff. I am no the "tick" cycle and not the "tock" (S) cycle so I will need to wait until April if I want to jump for the new phone. iCloud storage looks more appealing at that price and I might consider that in the future. The real winner looks like an iPad Mini 4. I am still lugging around an iPad 2 which is battle worn and slow. It works for Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu+ and basic browsing. What I need is a more powerful processing tablet for my quadcopter. My wife has a Mini which I actually appreciate the smaller size more than my iPad 2. Or maybe I will just get a refurb'd iPad Air 2. I am not averse to getting a refurb. I got my 5K iMac from the refurb store and it has worked perfectly and I saw no indication at all of being "used".

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
So it looks like AT&T Next 12 for the iPhone I want is $37.50/mo. Or I can do the lease program from apple (which comes with Applecare+) for only $36.58/mo?

Either way I turn the phone in after 12 months and get a new phone?

What am I missing here?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Did Apple mention Hermes pricing in the keynote? It's on their website, the Hermes Apple watches start at $1100 and are stainless steel so it's not actually a completely ridiculous price for a well respected ultra-luxury brand. I'm guessing these will actually sell pretty well.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Three Olives posted:

Carrier + Rate Plan are tied together, you can only choose one, you can't choose a rate plan and carrier independently, it's singular combination thus, work, right?

Only if there were extra words like "choose the carrier and rate plan combination that works for you". Otherwise it's referring to two things the verb is plural as well.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

lol @ apple TV app size limit

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ZeeBoi posted:

lol @ apple TV app size limit

lol @ the big exclusive game being Rusty's Real Deal Baseball

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Did we find out if they upgraded the RAM or not?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

LOL. Nailed it perfectly three years ahead of time.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Wulfolme posted:

Did we find out if they upgraded the RAM or not?

Nope, and we probably won't know until the devices are in reviewer's hands. Since they didn't announce that the multitasking features the iPad is getting with iOS 9 were coming to the phones I doubt that they upgraded it.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Three Olives posted:

Did Apple mention Hermes pricing in the keynote? It's on their website, the Hermes Apple watches start at $1100 and are stainless steel so it's not actually a completely ridiculous price for a well respected ultra-luxury brand. I'm guessing these will actually sell pretty well.

It's ridiculously overpriced for a tiny piece of leather and some stupid case/dust cover that will sit in a drawer. It makes their hand bags and harder to craft goods look like a steal.

People with more money than sense will still buy it

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010
Did they talk about the battery life of the new phones at all ? if they didn't it makes it sound like no improvement is the best to hope for

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
They raised the price of the iPhone in Europe. 849€ for the 64GB 6s. Jesus loving Christ.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Because a capacitive stylus on a 3.5" phone is the same pressure sensitive one on a laptop sized tablet.

• Locked thread