Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Today I tried healing a dire avenger that was bleeding out. I had the bug where it was near loving impossible to target friendlies with the healing beam. And right when I gave up and was going to get him up the old fashioned way, he bled out.

This game is releasing next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

I didn't like melee at first too, but I sort of learned to like it a bit. Most people tend to just spam quick attack at you till you fall down, which seems to be the go-to strategy for 90% of players. The proper response is to d-bash them (called parrying blow in controls, I suggest to set a key for this) and that would leave a big enough opening for a power attack.

The problem with d-bash though is that it's slow, takes a long time to perform, and traps you in its animation while not moving you far at all. While quick attacks has you warping every second.

Melee still has some issues with latency and balence. I believe I can get sorted out in Time though.

I've started really playing striking scorpion and one-shotting out of stealth is silly and fun.

Ass_Burgerer fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Sep 17, 2016

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Yesterday I was able to interupt the cap on a point as striking scorpion with a dozen or more space marines running around it while staying completely invisible (except for that little egg tool thing your character throws in). I died, but they were seconds away from capping it.

Striking scorpions really are the best troll class in the game right now and I don't see this lasting long.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

I'm pretty sure they said that they'll keep the early access $40 deal for a whole month after launch.

As far as game surviving at that price; this game has a very unique and deep melee combat system (and I like it). Also it's 40k space marines and whatnot. The future doesn't look so bad.

Ass_Burgerer fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Sep 22, 2016

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Rumor on the official forums are saying there's a character wipe happening right now and that it's going to be the final wipe! ie; the game's pretty much released now :toot:

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Stanley Pain posted:

Please teach me because it's not intuitive as gently caress.

It's a big rock paper scissors game.

• Quick attack > Power attack
    It's quick. Moves you fast if you spam.
  • Power attack > parrying blow
    half as slow as quick attack, but +20%ish damage.
  • Parrying blow > Quick attack
    No (or very little) damage, but STUNS target. Traps you in animation. Moves you an inch when finally done.

There are other rules, like when you both do the same attack on each other your weapons will clang, which reduces durability on your weapons or whatever. You don't really need to know any of that though. All you need to know is that it's better to clang with big, heavy weapons.

Tips:
Right now there's a bug with some space marine classes that lets them dodge out of stuns, which means they can just spam the everliving gently caress out of quick attacks and nope behind you if you manage to stun them. If you're space marine or any class that can roll out of stuns, spam quick attack and roll when you get stunned for easy wins.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

I'll be making an appearance at the elder guild soon as Alb.

Striking scorpion is a cool class to play. Really cheap and easy to hear out too since they only have the pistol and weapon, they have a lot of room for extra stuff. Got +dmg chainblade and I'm doing 599 base damage power swings out of stealth in the butt. Nothing like sneaking up on a tactical and just watching them literally ragdoll-melt from one swing.

Ass_Burgerer fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 24, 2016

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

A few gripes about melee:

1) quick attack op. You can swing swing swing all over the place and the only thing that can stop it is Perry blow which is incredibly slow, technically moves you I guess, and traps you in its animation (you're dead if you miss this). Its lunge range needs to be reduced by like 30% or so.

2) Perry blow UP. See reasons above. It needs to lunge you further forward, by like a lot.

3) Rolling out of stuns. This has got to be a bug because it's just absolute bullshit. Even more bullshit is that it only seems to work for some factions or classes. It's a loving get out of jail free card and pared with jump assaults makes me want to murder.

Also, executions are kinda lovely since they trap you in place and there's no way out of the animation. It really should be like reviving someone where you have to hold it. Also also, they should increase the range for initiating executions since it's kind of impossible to click on them if they're on stairs or something.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

No. But the cheapest loot crates first.

The way it works is the loot crates all have their own special pool of items it picks from. It won't ever give you the same item twice and eventually it will say that you already own all the items of a certain loot box. There is also some overlap between the loot box pools, which means you REALLY want to start with the cheapest first. Also, don't delete any items.

I was able to complete the 1k and 5k boxes for eldar. There's about 20ish things to get in the 1k boxes and one of them is a green reaper launcher. So if you plan on playing dark reaper you can save your point by not buying a reaper launcher so soon.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Honestly, I don't even like the smart pistols. It's weird and I can aim just fine without it tyvm. Also the do less damage? Can you imagine some people poo poo their pants over these?

Then again I play as elder and those pistols are very much not accurate.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

I've also seen a rendered jetbike that they've made, so it looks like bikes/jetbikes are on the list of things to add.

If they add shining spears I would literally do nothing else ever.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

So... how do I even create a war party? I can create one but I can't seem to invite anyone? What the hell? This is the first time I'm trying to do something not solo.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

I just discovered that you can exit whatever side of the vehicle you're in by holding a direction key when you exit.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Orv posted:

Front/Back?

That's not right. You do ~2.5x damage to the back with power attacks from any weapon, and the damage is the same for quick attacks regardless of direction. I don't know what the numbers mean.

Also, the rokkit launcha does do significant damage to vehicles in pretty sure.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

BurtLington posted:

Any questions you guys want me to ask?

1) Bikes and jetbikes. How and when? Will there be shining spears?

2) What's the plan with the whole fire dragons issue?

3) Any plans for symetrical game modes instead of attacker/defender? This has probably already been asked before.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

How do you know it's tabaco? Maybe it's just a rolled up piece of paper or muddy leaves or something.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

There isn't a loving way to invite people into your warparty. Not even from the guild screen. Seriously what the gently caress is the point of a guild if I can't do anything with the members other than kick them?? Good god how do they gently caress this up? :psyduck:

There is definitely something I'm missing since people are definitely making warparties and queueing up. What is it? How do I invite people?

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

If any of you noobs are wondering what barrel attachments to put on your gun, it's HEAVY BARREL or nothing at all.

I've done a bunch of testing and found that compensators and mussel brakes are strait 100% downgrades. They give you the microscopic benefit of less recoil shake (horizontal or vertical) at the cost of +20% faster cof bloom. I wouldn't even equip it for free.

Heavy barrels increase accuracy at the cost of more kick, but that extra kick can be compensated with player skill. And sometimes you won't even notice the extra kick depending on what weapon we're talking about.

And, of course, you'll be getting the worthless attachments before getting the good attachments in their loot boxes.

Ass_Burgerer fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 2, 2016

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Glenn Quebec posted:

I just want to put out there the essential step of trying to unlock a melt a gun. I would argue that it is worth dropping 16k requisition into getting one.

Playing as a fire Dragon with a wave serpent and 2 melta bombs is a very easy way to completely hamstring any attack and the game just dumps points on you for it. Meltas, melta bombs, and the attackers' reliance on transports for spawns needs some rework/rethinking.

Nalin posted:

It seems that all the Eldar can roll out of stun, which is a major pain in the rear end while in a melee.

I totally understand your frustration here, and as an eldar player I think I can tell you what I'm seeing.

We can't roll out of stuns. If I managed to get stunned, I'm there for the full duration. But there were a couple of instances where I clanged my quick aattack on a d-bashing ork and still had time to jump away and dodge the bash. Talk about stupid mechanics.

The melee system needs some changes. Spamming quick attack combined with fast weapons seems like the go-to strat for assaults and shielders with them lunging all over the place and all we have to defend that is a d-bash that locks us in place for an eternity and can be so easily dodged, and if it even manages to hit they are stunned for only a second and continue as usual. Am I meant to just bash them till help comes or something?

Quick attack needs a nerf on its lunge distance, especially on fast weapons, and d-bash needs to lunge much further, along with maybe instantly activating its stun animation if hit with a quick attack. And NO ONE should ever be able to just jump out of a stun or dodge it after clanging on one.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

You can only invite your steam friends to a warparty.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

I think the biggest issues with the plasma cannon (other than the bullshit that is aoe 1shot kills) is that its charge can be held and released exactly when you want it. You can just charge it up and walk around like mcree with his high-noon, ready to gently caress someone's day over and over again. It's high noon all the God damned time.

IMO, it should behave like the reaper launcher's starshot (the one where it shoots one big missile only after completing a charge). And no more 1shots good lord.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Playing as a swooping hawk and I'm seeing my guy warp around on my screen making movment difficult while looking janky as hell.

Just got stricking scorpion veteran class and equipped the burning rune - the one that makes the symbol on the hemet glow orange. The symbol doesn't go invisible....

Animations in general have a tendency of taking time to "stop" which is very frustrating. Such as when jumping out a window, you will stop and stand, then fall. Same with a lot of other animations and executions. Janky. Ugly.

Map balence is a mess.

Vehicle balence is an even bigger mess.

Plasma cannons.

I think I'll be putting this into the video game time capsule for like 6 months.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

I'm also somewhat surprised I have so much time in this game. It has such a large list of issues and horrid imbalance. But I really like the melee system and the asymetrical factions. If they can just fix the bugs and balance things out, this game would really rock socks.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

When I first started using hunters Mark (swooping hawk's battle rifle) I really hated it. But after going back to it I really love it. It has a high min damage and it headshots heavies dead from forever away. It still does crazy damage if you land your shots right.

They really need to give it its own firing sound though. It's a semi auto only weapon and still has the autofire sounds and it sounds awful. If I hold the trigger after firing one shot I still hear it firing shots. Top jank.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Lassitude posted:

Lascannons are fortunately not as bullshit easymode sniper time as they were in Space Marine.

I was being a swooping hawk yesterday and noticed The lascannon laser pointer homing in on me. So of course I close the distance and fly in at mach 12 and then just kind of play with him while he literally couldn't do anything.

This should be how it works for plasma cannons too.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

A "good game" :thumbsup:

AAaaand really late edit:

Just plasma cannon things.

Ass_Burgerer fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Oct 24, 2016

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

You're going to want to open loot boxes in order, as in 1k ones till you get everything, then the 5k ones, etc. This ensures you don't get 1k loot from a 5k box, for instance.

I think you start getting tempest launchers from the 5k or 12k boxes. The master crafted tempest launcher is actually worth considering. Normal tempest launcher can do 4 salvos and has to wait out a maxed heat cycle, the MC one builds up heat slightly less, which means you get the 4 salvos but can start shooting again sooner rather than completely cool down first.

T2 armor and burning rune are usually reserved for veteran classes (exalted for eldar). They're nice but super expensive. As for mods, for ANY gun; you want the heavy barrel or nothing at all. Textured grip is good for most weapons. As expected, the only mods worth getting are only found in the 30k chests. Go figure. And heavy weapons don't have mods yet in game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Look, the game's lead developer got shafted for overpromissing crazy stuff a long time ago, they replaced him, and totally changed the direction the game was going (no longer going to be mmo, etc.). And they offered refunds to those that bought into the game before this change of direction.

Yet still there's tons of people coming over expecting a 40k wow. Granted, it doesn't help that the steam store page still tags this game as an mmo.

The game is incredibly buggy. The controls are frustrating, and balance has a long way to go still, and 60% of the playerbase mains space marines. It's a 3rd person shooter with an interesting melee system, truly asymetricaly balanced factions, and it's 40k. I like the game, but can't really recommend it till they fix all their poo poo. The 2 biggest positives of this game is the melee idea and the asymmetrical factions.

If you don't own the game yet, just wait, unless you really want to play a 40k shooter with space magic and loving space marines. Since its 40k, you can be sure it will never die for several years.

• Locked thread