Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Someone picked up Elf and the Hunter's Item Atelier

hang in there, tiny messenger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Sharkopath posted:

Its based way more on the classic tabletop rpgs with structured magic, and very specifically if I had to hazard a guess I'd say the author played some dnd in their time or at least is familiar with the ruleset for it. The entire idea of wizards being head and shoulders above other classes that cant use magic and able to do their job for them, jokes about interminable periods of magical buffing, different levels of wizard being able to fire more missiles just to name a few things.

So instead of being a game world based on a mechanical video game with stat screens and numbers its more naturalistic as a fantasy setting but in a world where magic runs on hard mechanical structures.

It's not a manga, but the LN "Magic User: Reborn in Another World as a Max Level Wizard" runs with that concept by having a guy isekaied into another world as his old D&D character. Which makes him the only guy playing with wizard rules when every other magic user is running off a JRPG system instead. It makes him pretty drat OP, since he's the only person around who can call down meteors, stop time, or summon monsters.

He does come with D&D weaknesses though: he has to roll for every spell he casts to see if it goes off (not an actual D&D rule, but eh), he rolls for damage on his attack spells, he's got spell slots, and of course all of his spells have a casting period that he can't shorten.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Nemo2342 posted:

It's not a manga, but the LN "Magic User: Reborn in Another World as a Max Level Wizard" runs with that concept by having a guy isekaied into another world as his old D&D character. Which makes him the only guy playing with wizard rules when every other magic user is running off a JRPG system instead. It makes him pretty drat OP, since he's the only person around who can call down meteors, stop time, or summon monsters.

He does come with D&D weaknesses though: he has to roll for every spell he casts to see if it goes off (not an actual D&D rule, but eh), he rolls for damage on his attack spells, he's got spell slots, and of course all of his spells have a casting period that he can't shorten.

He went Wild Magic?

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Artificer posted:

He went Wild Magic?

Sadly not. He just has to roll a d100 and on a 1 his spell doesn't go off; he doesn't get to roll again to have weird stuff happen afterwards.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
hey, a new Minotaur's Sweetheart.

Now that we're clear of the incredibly dark poo poo(for now), time for some more shenanigans.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

hey, a new Minotaur's Sweetheart.

Now that we're clear of the incredibly dark poo poo(for now), time for some more shenanigans.

"I literally only know like 50 words, things are hard to describe for me :eng99:"

Glad we got past the completely unnecessary werewolf murder arc. Feels like this series is winding down after that though.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
In the new chapter of Flying Witch: suddenly, plot.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Secure, Cuddle, Protect.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

I'm not sure I like the addition of plot and implicit escalation.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Eh, I'm sure it'll be fine and chill, just like everything else has been. It also feels like whatever is going to happen isn't coming soon.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

new Elf and the Hunter's Item Alelier

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Brought To You By posted:

Series I'd been keeping up with for the past couple months has seen a spike in updates this week.

Primal Gods in Ancient Lands is the story of Miyo who lives in pre-8th century Japan when the Ookami are still entities of power and influence. Recently Orphaned and chosen by her village to be a sacrifice to their regions patron diety she has a chance encounter with a wandering monk and his two disciples which leads her to have a change of fate. It's partially because I have a hard on for the parts of japanese mythology that relate to regional gods and such but this series is on it's own a very good read. The artist is also very good, nothing less than what I'd expect for someone published in Harta magazine. Very good scenery and paneling and he knows how to sell you on the imposing nature of a Kami.

Yo this was/is legit, it has some GREAT 4th wall breaking for an ancient, ancient history fantasy manga and the entire concept is rad. Also the third volume just came out last week so I expect it may get some updates soon.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Those last two chapters of Frieren were absolutely amazing.
It should be a bit expected, but the execution is amazing and so is the way it goes against the current trends.

Best currently running manga? Probably.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
"the demons are actually demons!" ain't exactly revelatory, and I'm not yet prepared to give the author the benefit of the doubt of pulling this off successfully

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Demons in manga tend to just be magic people with horns.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
These are that too but just an entire race of mechanically logical serial killers

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Bard Leon continues his quest to eat the best food around. This chapter we meet the incarnation of this guy

And we also gain a new party member who has stupidly high STR but not much WIS or cares.

Jerkface posted:

Yo this was/is legit, it has some GREAT 4th wall breaking for an ancient, ancient history fantasy manga and the entire concept is rad. Also the third volume just came out last week so I expect it may get some updates soon.

TL has the status of Tougi Oni as "Waiting for me to get off my rear end" so fingers crossed it's not too long.

Captain Invictus posted:

These are that too but just an entire race of mechanically logical serial killers
I made the observation in the manga thread but it's very likely they are actual shapeshifters that just have human forms for their deceit. Someone else mentioned the creature from 'The Thing' but I've been keeping the roaches from 'Mimic' in my mind.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I appreciate that it goes into how they think and how they aren't just humans that look different.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

The new Mizukami Satoshi series Solte the Adventurer got a new chapter. It's a fantasy world magical girl story with just two chapters. But he's set up some familiar elements to his writing like a companion character whose more in the know than the MC. And we're gearing up for adventure into the demon realm.

This is really good! I like the main party character concepts and the world itself is really interesting with the blighted magic pollution from an epic mage war in ages past. The encounter in the first chapter with the weird... everything really helped spark my interest in the series!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

I made the observation in the manga thread but it's very likely they are actual shapeshifters that just have human forms for their deceit. Someone else mentioned the creature from 'The Thing' but I've been keeping the roaches from 'Mimic' in my mind.
if they're shapeshifters then I think the parasites from Parasyte would be more apt.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

TL has the status of Tougi Oni as "Waiting for me to get off my rear end" so fingers crossed it's not too long.
Ok we're doing this now I guess. :woop: New chapter
Miyo cannot stop herself from tripping through time and space.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Ok we're doing this now I guess. :woop: New chapter
Miyo cannot stop herself from tripping through time and space.

Hell yea, I love how weird this poo poo is.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
This weekend has been a steady stream of series I follow getting translations. :fwoot: On top of what looks like a daily dose of Touge Oni Be Mine, Hero and archdemon received it's last two chapters finishing off where the official english volumes never went. I've lost most of the context for events but drat if it wasn't gorgeous and worth a re-read.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Finally, after 10,000 years I'm free.

That's a pretty good ending. I'm going to assume head maid is taking care of female magician. :unsmith:

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

new Elf and the Huner's Item Atelier
The group travels deep into a dungeon

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's really strange how a dungeon 3km below ground has the same stuff as any normal basement.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

new Elf and Hunter Item Atelier

:smugelf:

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

The Dragon, the Hero, and the Courier is still chugging along nicely.

https://mangadex.org/chapter/1011299/1

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

new Elf and Hunter's Item Atelier

I hate phantom dungeon man.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Been a while but new chapter of Is it odd that I became an adventurer even if I graduated from the witchcraft institute Don't say that 10 times fast and I'm reminded that I used to think this story was going the harem route until the tomboy childhood friend showed up. Glad everyone else agrees.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
At times “Is it odd?” is good and funny, but why do 50% of fantasy manga have to do the dumb orc rapist plot. It’s so terrible every time. If you’re writing a lighthearted story, maybe don’t put rape in it! This isn’t loving rocket science!

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Weeb pog face

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

An interesting new series, Skull Dragon's Drecious Daughter

A 5 year old girl named Eve is chucked into the forest where you chuck things and stumbled upon an old dragon who on a whim takes her in. Several years later the dragon reaches the end of his lifespan. Whats a girl to do? Spend the next 6 months bringing his soul back from the afterlife thanks to an arcane tome you found. Now the two are off on an adventure to get Eve adjusted to living in human society and getting her overflowing magic in check.

Huzzah! fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Dec 6, 2020

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
I've been really enjoying Adventurers Who Don't Believe in Humanity Will Save the World.

Basic premise is a group of 4 adventurers who, due to experiencing various betrayals, no longer trust other people, decided to form a party together. It has a pretty interesting dynamic, where the party is having to learn to trust and work together, despite the previous trauma.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Let see, one false rape accusation, one golddigger, the best "waifu" is the one that's totally unused to human society and the other one is a low effort rip off of the otome game villainess thing. That's some nice female characters there I guess

Xun fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Dec 27, 2020

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Picked up this one recently. Toujuushi Bestialious is set during the Roman conquest of Europe, specifically Brittania in a world where mythical creatures and demi-humans once thrived before being purged from the history books. The story follows a handful of different characters both human and monster all bound by their familial relationships which fly in the face of Roman logic and creed.

Expect a lot of gladiatorial fights and very good art.

There's also a series called Magus of the Library which is published by Kodasha and tells the story of a young half-elf boy whose desire is to become a librarian. This is a really good story if you enjoy worldbuilding since the general idea is to explore the different cultures and races that exist in this world as well as the efforts of the Central Library to preserve the collective histories and texts of the world. There are 3 volumes out currently with the 4th being released in english today.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I think May I Please Ask You Just One Last Thing? was brought up here? Anyways, new update, though the Prince is still as annoying as ever.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
It finally happened, I've read the manga equivalent to Evangelion's final episode and it was that minotaur romance series that went left field when it introduced the big bad wolf and ran all the way home with this latest chapter.

:bravo:Congratulations:bravo:
The douchey prince that made incredibly inappropriate statements towards the best swordswoman and tried to kill the Minotaur in mortal kombat was just rusing everyone and all the nobility are actually monster using magic to hide their identities and control humanity from the shadows. Surprise!! this was all a test, we just wanted to make sure you could beat down this random demigod so you could become king :wtc:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah sure why not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

It finally happened, I've read the manga equivalent to Evangelion's final episode and it was that minotaur romance series that went left field when it introduced the big bad wolf and ran all the way home with this latest chapter.

:bravo:Congratulations:bravo:
The douchey prince that made incredibly inappropriate statements towards the best swordswoman and tried to kill the Minotaur in mortal kombat was just rusing everyone and all the nobility are actually monster using magic to hide their identities and control humanity from the shadows. Surprise!! this was all a test, we just wanted to make sure you could beat down this random demigod so you could become king :wtc:

You forgot that these same monster nobles ALSO planted the book in the forest that started this whole mess which is some pretty good :psyduck: