Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
holy poo poo, Laius

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Laius, you really need a real sword and not an arthropod monster.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Goddamn, what a badass and desperate way to fight a dragon. Best manga.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Anyone who's ever played D&D is having extremely grim visions of rolling and failing lots of d20 ability checks except for that SINGLE ONE that the fighter rolled.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
That was unexpectedly intense.

Dungeon Meshi tends toward seven chapters per volume, so I wanna say things'll probably end with chapter 28 (or maybe even the next chapter if they decided to go all-out and make it a big one), but that one side bit about the state of the world above makes me wonder if they're not gonna push a little farther. Not that they'd need to, but then why the brief primer?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
They still haven't explained what is up with the dark elf dude who made the dungeon. I don't really expect them to resolve that situation, but I would at least like to know more about it.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think some adventures with Farlyn in the party would be fun as well

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I think so too, but I'd rather predict "This is gonna end soon" and be pleasantly surprised than say it's gonna keep going, only it just ends.

Regardless, this is a clear and present climax to the story's (initial) arc, and I'd presume the other stuff to be little more than (fun and flavorful) set dressing if not for the entire chapter devoted to discussing them.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I hate when people upload chapters out of order, someone put up a new VRMMO chapter on kissmanga but it skips ahead 3 chapters and I didn't notice until I was done :negative:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
kissmanga is apparently just out of date because 12 and 13 are out
e: looks like batoto has the same problem, all the chapters are on mangago if you feel like braving the BL to find them

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

DrSunshine posted:

Anyone who's ever played D&D is having extremely grim visions of rolling and failing lots of d20 ability checks except for that SINGLE ONE that the fighter rolled.

im not, because i play the good version of that game where martial characters are consistently good instead of at the mercy of skill checks

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Good for you!

Incidentally, are there any other manga out there that are as clearly D&D-based as Dungeon Meshi. I heard that "Record of the Lodoss War" was basically a retelling of someone's D&D campaign, should I check that out if I liked Dungeon Meshi?

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Dungeon Meshi is more based on Dungeon Master and Wizardry than it is directly based on D&D tbh

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

DrSunshine posted:

Good for you!

Incidentally, are there any other manga out there that are as clearly D&D-based as Dungeon Meshi. I heard that "Record of the Lodoss War" was basically a retelling of someone's D&D campaign, should I check that out if I liked Dungeon Meshi?

I liked Lodoss, but it's not quite like Dungeon Meshi. It's straight fantasy, for one, and it tends to be quite epic and melodramatic in tone.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Mikl posted:

I liked Lodoss, but it's not quite like Dungeon Meshi. It's straight fantasy, for one, and it tends to be quite epic and melodramatic in tone.

This is true, it's also a bit more overtly D&D-esque. You pinpoint the exact moment the group changed editions.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Superstring posted:

This is true, it's also a bit more overtly D&D-esque. You pinpoint the exact moment the group changed editions.

Which is fitting since the original idea sprang from a series of D&D session transcripts (replays).

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

DrSunshine posted:

Lodoss manga is ok but you should watch the OVAs, they are classic. Avoid the tv version.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jun 16, 2016

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Also, another classic: Slayers is v.good.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh no, with the latest VRMMO chapter, I've yet again been hoodwinked into reading a harem series!!!

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Haven't gotten that far but sounds unsurprising, life has been too easy for this protagonist

Something about LN writing in general (their attitude and manner of speaking) is sort of obnoxious. It must be a Japanese thing.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jun 21, 2016

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

Good for you!

Red Dragon :troll:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Jackard posted:

Haven't gotten that far but sounds unsurprising, life has been too easy for this protagonist

Something about LN writing in general (their attitude and manner of speaking) is sort of obnoxious. It must be a Japanese thing.

Well, I mean, they're mostly written by nerds as a nerd power fantasy, so yeah. Did you ever read (or read about) Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality? It's basically the same kind of smug fanfiction as most LNs.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Jackard posted:

Yeah I'm sure it's a Japanese thing

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

Well, I mean, they're mostly written by nerds as a nerd power fantasy, so yeah. Did you ever read (or read about) Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality? It's basically the same kind of smug fanfiction as most LNs.
I've heard of it.. maybe it is the smug but stuff based on LNs feels different from original comics

Jackard fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jun 21, 2016

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
It's not a LN, technically.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Jackard posted:

Is VRMMO based on an LN? That's a shame. It's actually been surprisingly well-written for a series that is basically about leveling up in an MMO.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Goodnight, Demon Castle

It's about an adorable princess who was abducted by some demon king and she can't get a good night's rest in her cell! Being apparently extremely handy with handycrafts, she sneaks around gathering things like materials for a pillow and cloth for a nice bed sheet so she can sleep peacefully!

The Skeep
Sep 15, 2007

That Chicken sure loves to drum...sticks
There's a surprising amount of variety for such a niche genre like this, my all-time favorite LN had got to be A Connecticut yankee in king Arthur's Court, though.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

The Skeep posted:

There's a surprising amount of variety for such a niche genre like this, my all-time favorite LN had got to be A Connecticut yankee in king Arthur's Court, though.

Well... gently caress. That description is actually 100% accurate. Mark Twain was really ahead of his time.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
It even sounds like a generic LN title.

gently caress, this sounds like where A Kid in King Aurther's Court originated from

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

It is.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom

DrSunshine posted:

Goodnight, Demon Castle

It's about an adorable princess who was abducted by some demon king and she can't get a good night's rest in her cell! Being apparently extremely handy with handycrafts, she sneaks around gathering things like materials for a pillow and cloth for a nice bed sheet so she can sleep peacefully!

Oh god
"Ghost sheet, nooooooooo!"

I'm dying

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Serious Frolicking posted:

It is incredibly similar to Only Sense Online, but with all of the gender-swap weirdness removed.
Finally got around to reading this and I like it better than Toaru Ossan no VRMMO Katsudouki despite there not being many chapters.

They use similar tricks, but here the main character still relies on others and doesn't coast through the setting effortlessly

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
oso holds up way better, yeah.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Also I used that same explosive gemstones trick as a cleric in D&D 3.5 - a bag full of moonstones with sonic glyph of warding.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Dungeon-Meshi/Ch-026--Red-Dragon-IV?id=300783

i love so much that they didn't skip past the aftermath. nope, gotta show the butchering and corpse retrieval in detail.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

That flashback. :unsmith:

Farlyn's corpse. :smith:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Bad Seafood posted:

That flashback. :unsmith:

Farlyn's corpse. :smith:

yeah :smith:

I keep thinking back to the chapter where they explained how much of you needed to be left for a proper resurrection...

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

The answer is they'll have to go deeper to defeat the mad wizard and recover the ultimate resurrection spell or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Everything Burrito posted:

yeah :smith:

I keep thinking back to the chapter where they explained how much of you needed to be left for a proper resurrection...

which chapter was that?