Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Davincie posted:

its a shame the translation is so bad though

It's a miracle it's even comprehensible, considering the "afterwords", the :airquote:translator:airquote: is not a native english speaker and thankfully has some people read over it afterwards and put in basic grammar.

edit: by some people, i mean randos from the bato.to coment section

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 16:23 on May 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I mean, like 10 chapters in, it was pretty clear that the whole greater goal of "Find Farlyn" was a pipe dream and the team was delusional / in denial about her death, and i honestly never expected them to find any remains of her at all. Most creatures don't take roughly 2 weeks to digest something a 10th of their size, and definitely no creatures as active and huge as a dragon.

I acutally figured they wouldn't even find the dragon, and that it was the perpetual "carrot on a stick" goal to make a frame work for the story.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It started a little slow, but that was a drat good chapter.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

AgentHaiTo posted:

That was a great chapter. Poor Marcille, she's just given up and accepts Laius's eat everything attitude.

Acceptance

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Apr 30, 2023

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
There's a lot of morally questionable people in DUngeon Meshi though

Remember when Laius was pushing really hard for his right to eat sentient humanoid creatures and then just settled for tricking his party into eating their eggs instead

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Hell, even Chilchak said "The ones helping you out free of charge? These are the really suspicious ones you need to watch out for."

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah that other "party" whose plan it was to get Kabru's and Laius' party to kill each other and then mop up any remaining survivors, to make some quick cash at the low cost of some fatal trauma for some people

Not that i didn't think the response was harsh, but man, when death isn't even a real issue you can threaten someone with, these jokers would've been back to their extremely hosed up racket within days.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Finally, the two harem protagonists meet up! Can't wait to see them clash.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The series has some very bad jokes, but it also has some very good jokes, like fart trumpets or this:

(I can confirm that this game is, in fact, evil and will take your soul)

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

masked dude, no. don't air the dirty laundry in front of the professional poo poo-stirrer.

Lol if you think Sureau would have another man in his party

Also good call on not letting catgirl get anywhere near the kitchen. These hairs get everywhere.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Bad Seafood posted:

I'm enjoying these developments but I hope the author doesn't completely sideline the food aspect in favor of this darker turn.

All this means is that we're gonna find out what sautéed human* tastes like

* or dwarf or gnome or halfling or elf or goblin or oni or

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah keep in mind that it's entirely possible to permanently die in the dungeon. You need A. enough of the body left to resurrect someone, if they're eaten (esp. by multiple monsters) then revival chances are slim, and B. you need to somehow haul all these corpses away from a raging Farlyn monster and to someone who can revive them.

She has a lot of Harpies with them, flying monsters who can easily and quickly carry body parts far apart and hide/dispose of them, just sayin

(not that anyone of the three parties will die for good in this fight since it's a story, but it's very easily possible)

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Oh..... Uh, hey, remember this earlier on?

(spoilered for :nws:)

Suddenly it makes sense

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Apr 30, 2023

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
At first i thought Senshi's copies are the ones with wildly off-model proportions. But it probably goes something like this:

Giant stubbleface stereotypical McWarrior Laius, haughty sharp-faced fancy hair stereotypical elf Marcille and granite-nosed serious-eye stereotypical dwarf Senshi must all be Chilchak's versions. He pictures others mostly with a visual shorthand for their role or race. This one is really a guess, could have also been Senshi, but here's why i don't think so.
Senshi, as we know from the Dryad chapter, views the rest of the group as children. So, tiny puffy-cheeks Chilchak with the toy lock picks, droopy Laius and "Black Magic is so rad!" Marcille are probably all his creations.
We already know two of Laius' creations by the lack of, or just flat-out wrong details on them. Funnily enough, his attention to detail in one specific case - Marcille's spell book - makes her clone to be probably the hardest one to figure out. It could be open-hair Marcille, since this way she looks a little more like Farlyn. Although for some reason my gut tells me that's actually the real one, since letting her hair down for the cold seems like something she'd do.
Marcille, then, would be the one who has no sense for cooking or the tools used therein, so she's the only one to get the utensils wrong. Still. Also obviously the one who sees Laius as an indiscriminate feed machine.

So we got three fakes left - Laius' impression of Marcille, Chilchak's impression of generic dwarf Senshi and Marcille's impression of Chilchak.

Not sure about the differences for that last one. There might be a certain difference in height? But it could also be artistic license in panel arrangement.
edit: One of them has bigger, rounder eyes than the other. Probably the fake one. Though it's kind of a stretch.

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Nov 14, 2017

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

New Dungeon Meshi

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Apr 30, 2023

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mighty Dicktron posted:

From chapter 17.

So... what was this picture? Link is dead.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Best background faces.

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Apr 30, 2023

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I love the elf who was like "lol how are you an adult now when you were a kid just 15 years ago"

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

ZiegeDame posted:

d) proving that not all elves are women
eeeeh

I think the jury's still out on that one, not entirely convinced yet that that IS a guy

I still remember the female dryads

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Apr 30, 2023

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
While checking mangadex for the above picture, i saw that there's a second chapter for Isekai Transporter out. I expected the first chapter to be a one-shot, honestly. The second chapter is laying out the harsh truths in selecting candidates to send to other worlds:

(read this way ---->)

Looking at the majority of isekai stories out there, i have a feeling that many isekai transporters are very bad at their job in this regard.

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Apr 30, 2023

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I remember reading a book about a dentist being abducted by aliens or something and then travelling space and trying to carve out a living space gor himself in the aline commonwealth by cleaning the teeth of various different alien species, and was very surprised it was written by piers anthony, cause iirc it was a decent book

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Without isekai stories, we wouldn't have our Isekai Transporter

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Apr 30, 2023

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Even the transporter world is a video game, tho

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 30, 2023

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i'd say it is equivalent to the wn where an adventurer retires and then it is about the completely sincere and humorless process by which he buys a house and furniture.

excuse me, it's called "It's my life" and it owns

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Lol at calling this "poorly drawn" instead of "poorly designed" though, that's either idiotic or massively disingenious

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Well it is poorly drawn. Every time it's shown it full it looks teensy instead of monumental. The thick, dense line-work without proper variation or contrast is painful to look at. Combined with the complete lack of shading, there's no sense of depth or distance.

Don't even act like you specified the cathedral in particular when you took your solipsistic snipe. You labeled the entire thing as "poorly drawn" which is - well, i'm leaning heavily into the disingenious side now

I don't particularly enjoy the art style as a whole and only got through a couple chapters before losing interest, but come the gently caress on

edit: i enjoyed the post about the cathedral though since it's always fun to see someone apply their in-depth knowledge to fiction, like that time we had a train engineer effortpost on the Kabaneri anime, more of that and less cheap snipes please

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Sep 13, 2018

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Dude, are you serious

Did you really not understand that i referenced that word as shorthand to refer to your post above, not the word itself. The tpoc never left the art, why would you even

I mean, you have to be willfully obtuse here, no one can be that dumb, but i'm really not sure what the point is you're trying to make by going on a huge meaningless tangent no one asked for.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It's mildly amusing, mostly inoffensive aside from the standard "dark elf with sad past" love interest wish fulfillment character, and never goes anywhere. The MC is so far above everything and anyone that he's completely led by his whims in everyday life. Some day he wants to build a house, so he invents decent architecture. Keeping up with his dragon pals is a pain so he uses his infinity+1 magic levels to invent laptops to keep in touch without having to meet up in person, and so on.
Luckily he's not a creep, so it's really benign stuff he gets up to. Never really any serious conflict either.

Fluff, as the one above said. Translation isn't great, but at lest you probably won't badly regret checking it out.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Whenever you read a chapter, you should put on the metal or rock song/album it's named after in the background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I think fanfiction generally means "fiction of other people's fiction", not dramatization of real life stuff