Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Shorter series are good.

Not everything needs thirty volumes to shine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I've started reading Dungeon Meshi and it's good.

A lot of people have already commented on its creative take on dungeon ecosystems and cooking, but I think the cast also has some great chemistry. They're always getting on each other's cases but you can tell they still care about one another as friends and fellow adventurers.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

That was a good chapter.

Nice to have the roles reversed for once with Senshi in error while Marsilla was correct.

I also like how the group's making tangible progress through the dungeon. With this sort of setup it'd be easy to always just have them be "Somewhere" nebulously indeterminate, but instead we actually have some sense of how far they've gone and how far they've yet to go.

EDIT: If this cut-away from chapter two is to be trusted, we're about halfway through the story.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Oct 6, 2015

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Mimics being weird hermit crabs felt a little mundane after all the effort the author went through to explain living armor, but it's still a pretty interesting take on the monster.

RIP Doodle Laius.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Worse, he apparently seems to have some form of memory of his life before that point.

It's a surprisingly dark joke.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Laius going down a dark path.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Yeah, I'm not sure I could stomach a parasite.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I wouldn't be surprised to learn they're employing the sentience distinction here where plants and animals aren't on the same spiritual level as humans, dwarfs, elves, etc.

Those fish dudes though...

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

Perfect. :allears:

Incidentally, has anyone thought of starting a D&D game based on this setting? I'm totally in love with the dungeon in this, and think it'd be a really fun adventure. There'd have to be special rules to account for edible monsters, though.
We talked about it briefly in the chat thread but stalled out on the logistics.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Just so we're clear, in case the source has somehow gone unnoticed, Huzzah! was the one who made it, not I.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

Dungeon Meshi - I remember well-planned encounters that end up a lot like this.
You haven't played D&D until you've had to fix a plan gone disastrously awry.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

I'm still waiting on someone to write up an adventure module for this so I can do it with my D&D group!
Just run a campaign where you enforce realism (PCs need to eat and sleep; objects have weight, PCs have a carrying capacity based off their strength), and use Medicine and Survival checks for identifying ingredients and cooking, respectively. Even if your PCs have enough cash to buy rations in town, X days on the road will leave their provisions short, and they'll start hunting things to eat.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

That was unexpectedly intense.

Dungeon Meshi tends toward seven chapters per volume, so I wanna say things'll probably end with chapter 28 (or maybe even the next chapter if they decided to go all-out and make it a big one), but that one side bit about the state of the world above makes me wonder if they're not gonna push a little farther. Not that they'd need to, but then why the brief primer?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I think so too, but I'd rather predict "This is gonna end soon" and be pleasantly surprised than say it's gonna keep going, only it just ends.

Regardless, this is a clear and present climax to the story's (initial) arc, and I'd presume the other stuff to be little more than (fun and flavorful) set dressing if not for the entire chapter devoted to discussing them.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

It is.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

That flashback. :unsmith:

Farlyn's corpse. :smith:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

The answer is they'll have to go deeper to defeat the mad wizard and recover the ultimate resurrection spell or something.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

It was speculated this was around where the series would end, but enough rubs have been introduced between that guestimate and now that I think it's fair to say it's more like we're halfway.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Yeah, even before anybody point that out, I had a feeling there'd be unintented consequences.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

The first volume comes out in America in May under the title Delicious in Dungeon because Yen Press is lazy.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Delicious Dungeon
Dungeon Food
Dungeon Dining
Dungeons & Dining
Dungeons & Delicacies
Beat Bobby Flay

Could've used any of these titles, Yen. Literally any of them.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Clarste posted:

Wouldn't they run into annoying legal issues with Dungeons & Dining?
Possibly, in which case they could've just used one of the other ones.

There had to be something they could've come up with beyond a blunt-force direct translation of the title.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Except the Japanese word Meshi means "Food" or "Cooked (Rice)," so Dungeon Food (the second title on that list) is literally what she named it.

Which is a fine name, and what it's going by in Italy.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If Dungeon Meshi were a traditional five-act play, I'd say we were starting the 4th act now.

Feel free to laugh at this post in two years or whenever it turns out I'm wrong again, just like the last time.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I'm enjoying these developments but I hope the author doesn't completely sideline the food aspect in favor of this darker turn.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Brought To You By posted:

Guess you'll have to wait for the next Daydream Hour when Kui draws all the characters in Swimsuits and you can count the cats bikini tops.
She'll wear a competition swimsuit just to confound the issue.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

As with all writing tricks, the question is: what is the author trying to say. C.S. Lewis was trying to create philosophical, theological, and thematic parallels between our world and his - having heroes both of the world, and outside it. Mark Twain was trying to take the piss out of the a certain chivalric romanticism he saw ingrained in southern United States culture, and largely responsible for the cultural attitudes that lead to such things as the preservation of slavery and the break from the Union.

I haven't read too many isekai stories so I won't pretend to be an expert, but among the ones I've tried, I've mostly gotten the impression the author is either seeking escapism free from modern sensibilities and social structures ("Check out my harem"), or wants their protagonist to be the smartest man in the room by virtue of common knowledge we tend to take for granted ("Check this out, it's called shampoo"), the hardest parts - invention, experimentation, actual work - having already been completed by his time. He gets to promote something he had no hand in making, and his monopoly on information means he gets to tout it as though he invented it, and thus receives excess benefit relative to his actual investment.

Also, as Mors pointed out, a lot of authors tend to underestimate just how certain concepts are. Did you know the Japanese had simple, clockwork automations as early as the 17th century?

Someone from the real world getting sucked into a fantastical one can still work, but the trend has been towards escapist wish-fulfillment - and not a very interesting wish, at that.. As a rule, I'd wager fantasy stories that don't bother throwing in someone from our world are stronger as a result of not trying to play to the audience surrogate.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jul 11, 2018

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

tonberrytoby posted:

Most low brow stories are strongly based on wish fulfillment, isekai or not.
Correct, and lest I be misunderstood, escapism isn't inherently bad - nor, necessarily, is wish-fulfillment. My post was mainly to thread the needle between two preceding comments regarding the genre: I don't think it's a fundamentally flawed device, but I'm also not surprised it's been pushed in the direction it has (and it is certainly not alone).

tonberrytoby posted:

I would also say, that having a protagonist from our world is not really worse then having a random medieval pig farmer who inexplicably follows all of the writers ingrained moral views.
Yes, those stories that need no audience surrogate are better, but that is rare even at the top level of quality.
A fair assessment. I suppose I've been soured specifically on the constant need for people from our world to wink and nod at things the audience understands. A mouthpiece merchant born and raised, at least, isn't going to constantly be making instantly dated references to contemporary real-world pop culture.

I should also clarify I'm not condemning audience surrogates as a role - one that is often necessary, especially in fantasy, to ground the audience - but "Playing" to that surrogate, and by extension the audience, often results in eye-rolling moments. Of course the boy who blew off school and every responsibility to play fantasy RPGs wakes up in a fantasy RPG world where his singular devotion to that thing lets him coast through any other form of self-improvement or reflection.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 11, 2018

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I like dragons.

I like stories about a motley crew all gathered together on a single large vessel.

I like Drifting Dragons.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

We really need a Dungeon Meshi thread.

It's unfair anyone who wants to talk about it has to sift through the rest of this thread to do so.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Sure, why not.

Give me an hour or so, unless someone wants to cut me off at the pass. Need to take care of some stuff.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

It is done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

You're welcome.