Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Serious Frolicking posted:

Hey, at least someone is actually translating it now. For like a year we only had the first chapter.

Seriously, having 6 chapters is super exciting compared to this.

I read a lot of cooking manga and I love how Dungeon Meshi models that style perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Paracelsus posted:

There's always room for Gelatinous Cube.

new thread title

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

so cute :3:

There isn't a character I dislike in this manga but Chilchack is becoming my favorite. He's so grumpy :3:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
If it's the one I just got to I sat here and laughed at it for like 5 solid minutes.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't remember seeing it stated but they looked a lot like hermit crabs so that would make sense. I bet they move into bigger chests as they grow :3:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Laius checking out the orc ladies :ughh:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I love how Laius is a gigantic goof and also pretty competent at the dungeon adventure thing. It's nice when he also has a chance to look cool and badass to contrast with the dorkiness.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Laius...what are you doing :ohdear:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Toaru Ossan no VRMMO Katsudouki
Typical company employee Tanaka Daichi (38 years old, single) loves games and plays a new type of VRMMO called "One More Free Life Online" under the username "Earth". Inside this free world he chose several skills that are generally regarded as useless. Be it wasting time crafting potions, cooking up pointlessly tasty food, or hunting monsters with some absurd weapon he crafted, he simply enjoys playing the game.

I was curious if this was going to be cute or just really dull, turns out it's a cute one :3:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
The way his skill progress is shown is pretty neat as well. Early on he's with a party and they have trouble with a particular enemy, then later he's soloing the same kind of monster easily.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's probably about time he had some sort of significant negative reaction to shoving whatever crosses his path down his gullet.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Laius sneakily eating it in the background of the panels while Senshi was cooking was a nice subtle detail. You can tell he's up to something but his back is turned so it isn't entirely clear until he admits it later.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I really love the little details in Dungeon Meshi's art, like the water pouring out of Marcille's hood as she's standing up on the surface.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
The Dungeon Meshi crew are not very good at dragon fighting are they

e: oh yeah, I didn't see it mentioned but I was reading Konjiki no Word Master - Yuusha Yonin ni Makikomareta Unique Cheat up until this latest chapter but I'm done. It wasn't really my thing to start with and I mostly kept reading it because I'd followed it and couldn't be assed to delete it off my list, but it might be something one of y'all would like more than I did.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 13, 2016

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
holy poo poo, Laius

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think some adventures with Farlyn in the party would be fun as well

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
kissmanga is apparently just out of date because 12 and 13 are out
e: looks like batoto has the same problem, all the chapters are on mangago if you feel like braving the BL to find them

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Bad Seafood posted:

That flashback. :unsmith:

Farlyn's corpse. :smith:

yeah :smith:

I keep thinking back to the chapter where they explained how much of you needed to be left for a proper resurrection...

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Chapter 22, here's the page though

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
There have been enough unexpected things crop up along the way that there might be more to it, having to go deeper to get some stronger magic to resurrect Farlyn and finding out what's going on with the dungeon at the same time would keep the story going pretty well.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I quit trying to decipher the awful translation and dropped that one but it had gotten less interesting at the point with the fairy queen or whoever hanging around him all the time.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
The only significant isekai thing it uses is the MC reincarnating with memories of his past life which is not subtly indicated to be modern Japan. And that is relevant to his character since his regrets are part of what drives him to live a better life and not make the same mistakes he did before. His main "cheat" I suppose would be having an adult's awareness as a child so he was able to understand things and get more out of what he was being taught.

I think you could probably argue that it really is just a normal rear end fantasy story that uses reincarnation as a conceit since it doesn't also have all the video game trappings that most of them use.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
one thing I like a lot about it is the MC is very present in the fantasy world -- he was (re)born there and grew up, and considers it his home and the undead guys his family vs having the conflict of having a strong connection to the previous life/world. It's something that informs his choices and how he thinks about stuff but there's a definite sense of distance that imo is pretty unique compared to others I've read

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, definitely.

Overall it's one I look forward to each update and also think it is petty and highly dismissive to have spent all that time critiquing some minor background art that probably wouldn't even register if you were engaged with the story and I hope that nonsense didn't put anyone off from reading it who might have been interested.

I was tempted after I read the first few chapters and had to start waiting on updates to hop over to the novels since you can buy 5 of them in English right now but I enjoy reading it in manga form too much to switch over.