Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Artificer posted:

Oh. Does it do anything special?
The mc finds himself a damsel from word go, but because she is powerless and thus treated as less than nothing by the benders magic users, the mc uses the console to craft a bunch of magic items she can wear so now she's super strong and tough, and has been training to use a bow, which is nice over her being helpless at all times like many female sidekicks

It starts to look like a harem at times but he's only ever had eyes for the one girl. The politicking in it is pretty fun too, I like the Powerless King of Gazetta who is just a walking smugface. Also how a huge battle starts up between some factions and the mc just console command spawns a gigantic loving wall in between them when they don't listen to his demand to stop was pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

HenryEx posted:

Even the transporter world is a video game, tho

Hahahaha, wow, that's a loving pull for an eastern manga/manhua, is binding of Isaac even a thing in eastern countries?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Elfface posted:

The immortals produce the best fashion, although I did think instantly think of this
man, I will be forever bummed that my shithead ex-roommate stole my Oglaf book

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I was literally about to post asking if it had been dropped or what, woo!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I just finished chapter 16 of the sword dad isekai manga and I just have to say barring like 3 pages of bad fanservice this is a Good Isekai. I appreciate that sword dad doesn't really use his knowledge of our world for ~cheating~ or whatever. Except to cook curry for fran. Good sword dad.

Also Amanda absolutely rules. She totally embodies the carefree and shenanigans-motivated nature of a max level mmo character. :v:

Edit: yep, now she's just punking uptight newbies for fun. She owns

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Aug 19, 2018

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I feel like it's attempting to set up the "bunch of smug shithead idiots in a fantasy world" thing of Konosuba-ish types but badly.

speaking of, I've read the Konosuba author's new series and it's quite good and chock full of shenanigans. The whole "be evil/mischievous = points to spend on summoning anything you want" combined with the right type of shitheads in a group is great.

Also the monsters they first encounter are really interesting designs, honestly. The whole "dog-creature, but when it attacks it folds its legs up as it leaps at you and its ENTIRE BACK opens up into one massive jaw" is some good cosmic horror type poo poo.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've started reading the manga for the Devil Is A Part-Timer, and just got to the first chapter past where the anime ended (if you've not seen it, it's definitely one of the better comedy anime of the last decade). I definitely noticed the manga significantly toned down the cheesecake, especially with chiho, who no longer has watermelons strapped to her chest. It focuses way more on the shenanigans and does an appreciable job of doing the same scenes the anime did, though the fight scenes were far, far better in the anime(the scene where maou just gets right up in lucifer's face INSTANTLY, and the charge-up punch were both well worth watching the anime for).

I just started the first non-anime-related chapter and it immediately starts off strong:

Not sure how far the manga goes, iirc the light novels go for quite a while? So I'm not sure if they caught up or what.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
27. Though it's been long enough I just read the whole thing, and the translations for the earlier chapters are mostly great.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
So reading a few more chapters past the anime ending of Devil Is A Part-Timer and I can absolutely 100% see why they wrapped up the anime with the fallen angel plotline/piddly side stories, because the introduction of what seems to be a literally heaven-sent toddler who claims to be the child of maou and emi would be stepping into a probably major storyline that they would never have time for without a second season. :v:

she's a cutie though, even if her name is goofy as hell

edit: okay, the more I read, the more I'm sad there was never a second season for the anime. Kinda big spoilers I guess a fragment of the Sefirot incarnated as a toddler and raised by the demon king goes SSJ and tackles Literally Gabriel Yes THAT Gabriel because she doesn't wanna go back home to heaven with him is seriously not where I expected the direction of the series to go even if it had been all about Gods and Demons from the get-go. It handles it in the expectedly goofy way the series has handled everything else so far, with Gabriel being a ripped Sephiroth-looking dude in a "I <3 (something)" t-shirt half-obscured by his angelic robes and wears sandals and talks like a goddamned nonchalant Ned Flanders-type.

Like the whole thing with Lucifer and Olba and all that was a good funny take on the evil church conspirators plotline and all but I feel like they never actually got to the meat of the series. Like this is some serious poo poo going on but it's absolutely hilarious all the same as the anime usually was. A godly toddler pummeling an archangel into the sky and headbutting them, who then retaliates by summoning a sword and being literally all "ta-da!" in context is kinda serious but it's done absolutely ludicrously. I love it.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Aug 29, 2018

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
He makes it pretty clear and outright says it at one point that it was just an excuse to not go back to enta isle.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mors Rattus posted:

I honestly wanted to see more of his plan for world conquest via being a really good McDonald’s employee.
It's funny you said this right then because like a chapter or two later from where I was when you said this, the MgRonald's gets shut down for renovations to turn it into a McCafe and it hasn't reopened up to where the official translations are yet :v:

But yeah I caught up to the current english chapters and I heartily recommend reading the manga for Devil Is A Part-Timer. The storyline it's been on since the end of the anime has been great and introduced a couple great new characters, Sariel(the big bad of the end of the anime) shows up again and has become a total porker goon from eating too much mgronald's because he has a huge crush on the lady who is maou's boss and wants to win her favor with constant business

the summaries for each character and what they've been up to are absolutely ludicrous sounding and I love it. Alas Ramus's especially. Pretty much every chapter Alas Ramus shows up in is guaranteed to be great, too.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Spirit migration was a good fun series and the final form he got before the series got the kibosh was actually rad looking, like some sort of super robot golem

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Now that there's a gyaru isekai type manga, what other cliches can we cram onto that to create the most gimmicky manga ever

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The manga is good, but as with most ln adaptations, is far, far behind the ln.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's also a way to add more characters without adding more characters. :v:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The one with the middle aged dude in a vrmmo(character name is Earth, I forget the actual name of the manga atm) is pretty chill and lacks all the drama and shenanigans most isekai have. A harem attempts to coalesce around him but he's all nah son and escapes to go on adventures with his bird friend

Translations occasionally dip into unreadable though

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The updates became very sporadic so I can see falling off it.

Edit: i recall folks discussing a slime-based isekai at one point, is it "tensei shitara slime datta hen"? The first chapter is intriguing, and I am a sucker for monster folk like the goblins who just showed up in the second chapter given a personality instead of being solid blood-red-eyed screaming ragefaces until they get cut to bits like most fantasy things. The horrible doom dragon being like a bored kid who got grounded in their room for a few centuries is great too

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Sep 8, 2018

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Everything Burrito posted:

I quit trying to decipher the awful translation and dropped that one but it had gotten less interesting at the point with the fairy queen or whoever hanging around him all the time.
You might want to catch up then, that has an interesting resolution.

My favorite parts of it were less the epic battles or whatever and more his grinding and crafting because it somehow made it interesting. The way he'd try and fail to do things and blow himself up repeatedly trying to craft, say, magical grenades or something, was rather endearing.

I do feel like it's going to step out into the real world at some point though with the occasional allusions to the company that runs the vrmmo and their tests with AI.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah he specifically avoids things that will attract attention or only helps npcs on the condition they don't spread the word. But, well, sometimes it's unavoidable (like with the cloud beasts in a recent chapter)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
based on how he's gone through things, it's a game that allows for obscene amounts of customization, like he custom made his knife shoes all on his own through trial and error in the blacksmith, they weren't just "spiky shoes of the whale" or something. So his route in particular just might be him being real good and clever in general, not just him finding the one weird trick. iirc at one point one of the devs monitoring things commented he was an odd one out, so it could just be that he's more creative than other players the manga has shown. Also it has mentioned in passing other high-level players accomplishing things like world firsts before he does, so he's not the only top tier player out there, just one of them that the series focuses on.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Aw, the fairly nonstandard humanoid goblins in the slime manga just turned into kinda goblin-ish humans, bummer

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Aw what a bummer, the translation quality on the slime isekai took a nosedive after volume 2. :(

edit: yes

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Sep 10, 2018

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
ahaha the lizardmen evolved into more dragon-ish lizardmen except for a subsect that happened to involve the cool king's daughter lizardwoman so she could be turned into a waifu for the slime harem I wager fuckin' lol

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
harems almost never actually involve actual romance, just tension. It's mostly a wish fulfillment thing so the protagonist can catch'em all, either men or women. Though they seem just fine with the two oni girls as lap pillows.

Hell, I really like that the slime's human form is explicitly genderless, and the author keeps it gender neutral in regards to the various characters referring to them.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Sep 10, 2018

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
ohhhhh noooooo they've just added a kid in a thong what are you doooooing

edit: OH NO SHE'S LITERALLY A THOUSAND-YEAR-OLD DEMON LORD TURN LEFT SLIME MANGA NOOOOO

Mors Rattus posted:

Isekai harems do the sex more often but that's true, yeah.

I feel like for Slime Guy there's even, like, a lack of interest beyond 'I like hanging out, similar to a salaryman at a hostess bar' since he became a slime. (They? I feel like he still IDs as male, but it grows more tentative with each arc.)

The true waifu is Verdora, though, or whatever the hell the dragon from the first chapter was named.
I might agree with you on Verdora if they showed up more than one panel per 12 chapters after the first one

and yeah he was originally a dude before the stabbin' but definitely feels like he's becoming more distant from his original life as things go on. As for sex drive, well, I don't think slimes have hormones :v:

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Sep 10, 2018

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
An actual clinically diagnosed manic pixie?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
new slime isekai, and it's one of the best chapters so far
https://mangadex.org/chapter/461624

winning hearts and minds through the power of fullmetal alchemist

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
So make one

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Now that's a thread title

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
New Slime Isekai.

Genuinely intrigued by this topic. I know it's been brought up in plenty of other isekais, the concept of summoning otherworlders to use as tools in your fantasy world, but I can't really think of one that dealt with the social ramifications of it nor the cast-offs like these kids.

edit: what's the series with the character building a sandcastle(?) in the lower left corner of the cover there? Has a cute style.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
okay, I've started in on Retired Heroes and this chapter is top tier

https://mangadex.org/chapter/312532/4

the actual reason for the whole chapter is just :discourse:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
that gyaru isekai manga got axed and they let them have one last chapter to send it off, wherein they just spelled out the entire plot it intended to go on and broke the fourth wall a bit, a lot more than most canceled series get. It wasn't a particularly noteworthy series, but there's far more worthy series of being axed than it, oh well.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

RatHat posted:

Why are there so many manga focusing on Gyaru recently anyway?
the same could be said for basically any trend, one series becomes popular with it, a bunch of copycats crop up. I'm not sure what was the gyaru thing that spurred on the various gyaru serieses though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lol dang, speaking of canned(?) "comedy" isekai series, this one goes for it in its final few chapters alright. https://mangadex.org/title/31092/game-no-naka-ni-iru

the author has basically vanished since ending this series according to the translator across all their media accounts, despite really building up and going for all these characters for a while before the series and then it not working out and ending it like that. Could have isolated themselves, cut off all online contact, nobody knows what happened to them.

How many axed series actually go for the end with the rocks fall, everyone dies finale?

Sakurazuka posted:

Galko-chan most likely
yeah that's probably it actually. can't think of anything before that that was gyaru-focused like that.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Nov 20, 2018

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
caught up on Retired Heroes, honestly didn't expect it to get so dark as it did, seemed to be a pretty chill series the first handful of chapters, but pretty quickly ramped up into Serious Time. Not that it's necessarily bad, just not what I was thinking it would be. The party chapter was probably my favorite though. And for a chinese series, it apes a lot of japanese things like that specific rolleyes-tongue-sticking-out face that was some japanese mascot in the 80s(?) and showed up all over to this day as an "golly, did I do that? tee hee" type of face.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I forget where someone described it, but I recall someone mentioning a series about an older guy getting isekai'd and spending his time in the other world just chilling out and camping and stuff instead of being a big drat hero. I saw this one, Ossan in Counterworld which has elements of being chill and an older guy, but also has lots of decidedly unchill things like collateral damage from his heroics, accidental murder thanks to his literally infinite goddess-bestowed power, etc. It's not what I was initially looking for but is an interesting one anyways, not many of the isekais I've seen where the guy is literally given anything he wants and all the conveniences and even a minimap and tutorial buddy AND adorable mascot puppy, and decides to isolate himself from other people because he doesn't want to accidentally hurt anyone with his superhuman strength and utterly lethal magic abilities, there's not many chapters yet but it's a curious one at least, has potential but is a bit aimless so far. Has some brutal violence in it so be warned.

Anyone know of the other series I was thinking of though? I like the relaxed ones like that slime-killer for 300 years isekai too.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Nov 29, 2018

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
this seems cute. It doesn't really feel like a super noteworthy series or anything, but it looks to be a relatively mundane isekai as far as those go(with a smattering of survivor's guilt visions). A woman knight gets transported into the forest near a japanese farmer's place and, exhausted from fleeing enemies, asks to rest in his shed. She eventually discovers she's been reverse isekai'd into our world and hangs out here, learning about things on the farm and being extremely into his cooking(and probably him too)

also lol almost immediately she gets put in a tracksuit

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, I caught up to the current chapter and can see that being an issue(as does saeki, as he still thinks she's probably a crazy chuuni/cosplayer right up until she shoots a fireball out of her hand). It also looks like it'll turn into a harem thing if they add more girls, but the way it goes in the latest chapter is neat, Honomi going into government agent mode and basically saying "yo I believe she's from another world now and all but that also means she's a goddamned walking biohazard and you and I and she and all your plants now have to be quarantined, also she's not a human from this world and there aren't really laws for extraterrestrials so we gotta figure this out" which, well, I didn't expect. Also nice to see an amicable friendship between ex's play out naturally, it's a rarity.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Hahaha, I forget if it was this thread or another that mentioned the ideal sponger life. Sets itself up with a ridiculously bland isekai premise, implied harem first volume cover, regular salaryworker guy gets transported to another world to marry a perfect hottie, and she's a queen so he gets everything he wants, and he's even offered cute maids and concubines, there's gonna be fanservice and panty shots and generic anime romcom tropes galore!

And then it almost IMMEDIATELY switches into relatively mundane politicking and conflicting beliefs due to wildly varying upbringings in different worlds, and no why would I want concubines, I love my wife, and also a very cute romance between the two etc, completely at odds with expectations :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
that Lady Rose Wants to be a Commoner series that was mentioned has some good promise too. I like that it's kinda anti-bakarina in that she's extremely calculating in GETTING her bad end and dodging love flags when she can.

The art is great, her reactions are fantastic, and check out this god drat face, it's like something out of Animaniacs