Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

That dwarf guy in Dungeon Meshi is a sociopath and is going to turn on the party at some point in my opinion (at chapter 6 so far). He has dead, empty eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

AgentHaiTo posted:

I like how Laius' solution to the mermaids was much safer than the other group, who plugged their ears but set themselves up for an ambush. He is such a goof but is really capable, also he may be a cannibal :(

I wish the halfling guy had just explained his reasoning to Laius. I mean, it showed him thinking about how the merpeople are clearly capable of making weapon and have an opposable thumb and stuff, so he had a direct argument to Laius's hosed up "aren't they really just like cattle when you think about it?!" point.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The game in Toaru Ossan no VRMMO no Katsudouki sounds like it's really terribly designed and more or less resembles something like early FF11 (I only played FF11 when it first came out, so maybe they fixed some of this stuff) in many aspects (super unbalanced, seemingly significant death penalties, mobs that chase you endlessly and chain, meaning you're forced to die if you mistakenly aggro something too strong).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Nov 4, 2015

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Davincie posted:

any relation to this?
http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/isekai-izakaya-nobu-r18302
which is a seinen about running an inn, in a fantasy setting, no english translation btw!

That's interesting, apparently for the two workers their izakaya is connected to modern Japan, yet it can be accessed by the people of Generic Fantasy World.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

A jargogle posted:

^ I have enjoyed it so far but they mayyyy need to tread somewhat different ground for their chapter plotlines soon...

Yeah, each chapter just seems to be "A person, who may or may not be skeptical, enters the izakaya. Some common izakaya food is introduced and treated as if it is literally divine."

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Brought To You By posted:

Read about 10 chapters and don't feel like going any further than that. Not even Shield Hero had a protagonist as abrasive as this guyo and he arguably had more reasons to be that way. That guy is pure edge and angst and not even in highschool would that have been interesting enough to carry what's become the glut of "sent to fantasy land" cliche stories. Everyone is more interesting than him, there are at least three more interesting premises that are wasted because Hiiro just wants to be a cardboard cutout.

So yeah it's bad.

"MC that is an abrasive rear end in a top hat for no reason, yet for someone reason girls cling to him" seems to be a new-ish sub-genre. Obviously the "Girls cling to MC" part isn't new, but in the past the MC was at least someone your average socially awkward teen/young adult could relate to, rather than some pointlessly misanthropic rear end in a top hat.

Of course, the really cynical/depressing interpretation of this is that there's a huge number of Japanese manga consumers who actually identify with that type of MC.

Compendium posted:

Japanese people really like food and really love their own food and I can't find that kind of niche (or I'm not looking hard enough) where fictional people really loving love their booze and chow in Western media outside of certain movies or just straight up cooking shows from Youtube and television.

The most similar thing I can think of in American culture is the way people talk about Southern food (in the South, at least). It seems just generally accepted that the food is the Best Thing Ever and people like to talk about how great they think it is. There's also the same "my culture is the best"undercurrent that I sense in Japanese food/cooking manga.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nondevor posted:

I'd be down with a bittersweet ending. Heck, I might even prefer one! But I'd also be fine with Farlyn reviving too. :unsmith:

I...think that would just be a "bitter" ending. A story where people set out to rescue their friend only to find their friend digested and dead is just a sad ending all around with no real up-sides.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Clarste posted:

The page only says that the "chances of a successful resurrection drop drastically". First of all, it's still just a chance and they could always get lucky. Second of all, "successful resurrection" isn't clearly defined. Maybe it's still possible to resurrect these people, but they lose something in the process, like being crippled for example. Farlyn being stuck in a wheelchair is still better than her staying dead.

I would guess it means "isn't resurrected at all" or "is resurrcted without the missing body parts (depending upon whether the missing body parts are necessary for life)", because it sort of stands to reason if someone ended up in a wheelchair or something that you could then just finishing healing them afterwards.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Is now a good time to catch up with Dungeon Meshi? I haven't read it in a while and think I only got to chapter 17 or so.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I just read up to the current chapter, and Kabru is definitely some sort of crazy/sociopath. It's really obvious that his ability to manipulate people is being put on display, and he seems to be capable of killing people with far too little hesitation.

He actually makes a kind of interesting potential antagonist in the sense that he isn't particular powerful in terms of combat (though he's definitely very competent, at least against humanoids). His ability to manipulate people into helping him seems like his biggest strength.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mikl posted:

Yeah but for resurrection you need a corpse, or at least bones. That's why it's proper manners, when you run into a corpse, to put it someplace it'll be found by someone capable of casting the correct spell (or, failing that, carrying it back to the surface). Kabru and his team killed the other party and dumped their bodies into the lake.

Yeah, he basically permakilled them unless they're REALLY lucky and some people randomly happen to search the bottom of that lake for corpses within the day or two it would take for their bodies to get scavenged beyond repair.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

There will be an epilogue where they all die of cancer, revealing that monsters are actually extremely carcinogenic and it just doesn't manifest until many years down the line.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

gmq posted:

Bakarina is so good. It avoids most if not all the isekai bad tropes.

Nah, it follows isekai tropes, but just "reincarnated as villainess in an otome game" isekai tropes, which are different from "guy who is reincarnated as a powerful slave-owner" ones.

I like the "villainess in an otome game" tropes, though, so I've enjoyed a few of the stories with this premise I've read.

yum posted:

Thanks for recommending Bakarina. Didn't expect to enjoy it so much since I normally really dislike isekai. Like what you guys said, most isekais read like excerpts from the author's masturbatory wish fulfillment fantasies, but this one isn't gross, is lighthearted, and I'm enjoying how wholesome it is. Plus the art is nice and the characters are cute

I guess I'll be checking out the other female protagonist isekais now.

It's not a manga, but I'd recommend this if you like the Bakarina one: https://www.novelupdates.com/series/kenkyo-kenjitsu-o-motto-ni-ikite-orimasu/

Nihilarian posted:

As far Isekai goes, the Spider one is practically anti-wish fulfillment. She was reborn in the body of a spider, incapable of communicating with other humans, had to flee from her new mother and siblings in order to avoid being eaten, as well as many other creatures more powerful than her, and is constantly forced to eat foul tasting poisonous creatures in order to survive.

Nah, it still leans into the "constantly becoming more powerful and getting all the OP game skills" trope. It just acts as wish fulfillment from a "playing a game/MMO" perspective rather than a "I want to have a harem of sexy animes" one.

A lot of "becoming super OP" WNs have a beginning where the character is weak/struggles, presumably to "justify" them quickly becoming OP soon after. Kumoko follows this pattern, with her very quickly become extremely strong by that world's standards (which is masked somewhat by her going up against increasingly strong enemies, but there's never really a doubt after the beginning portion that she's going to win relatively easily). A lot of people play up the "she struggled so much!" aspect, but in real world time the "struggling" period consisted of just a few weeks (or months, forget, but no longer than that) before she became obscenely powerful due to having some ridiculously overpowered abilities.

I enjoyed that WN, but more for the setting than the Kumoko parts (which were by far the weakest IMO; I would constantly feel like skipping ahead to the latest stuff that revealed more info about the greater setting, and enjoyed things far more after she left the cave).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jul 16, 2018

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mors Rattus posted:

No, there's a lot where one of them is. I mean specifically all of them are. All of the female rival characters are reincarnated, the female lead is reincarnated. Simultaneously.

I remember there was one where the protagonist was a guy who reincarnated as one of the love interests in an otome game, and the otome protagonist was also reincarnated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Compendium posted:

Reading this, you can tell that the author hasn't played an actual otome game.

I mean, to be fair actual "reborn as villainess in an otome" WNs usually use this sort of pseudo-generic* setting (minus the mecha, though the character in this dumb manga comments on that being unusual), but I have no idea how you'd interpret them as being friendly to any women other than just the protagonist.

* in the sense that it doesn't necessarily reflect actual otome games, but still pops up a lot in these "meta" otome stories

edit: It's sorta like how a zillion isekai are some "spin" on the premise of fighting a demon lord (which is treated like some common plotline), but hardly any isekai stories exist that actually play that premise straight