Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

Moridin920 posted:

Ey here's some actual thoughts though being serious:

We don't have the popularity we used to, obviously. Now we have competition like Reddit and 4chan and such, too.

What are we doing to get new users? Who knows about SA? Like if you're a teenager right now, the only way you really know about it is if someone tells you about it. Then you get to the website, and the 'Forums' button is all the way in the top left, you can also get there through the directory drop down, and there's the popular threads thing, but it really isn't immediately obvious that there are discussion forums and they are the main part of the site.

Basically almost everyone I talk to says they heard about it from a friend, but as our user base and popularity declines we can rely on that word of mouth less and less. I'm pretty sure at this point the bulk of our new users comes from people in MMOs seeing the goon guilds stomp around.

Also, the front page stuff is great (imo) and I loved it a lot when a goon told me about SA, but I was reading the front page for a year before I even realized there were forums. I mean yeah maybe I'm an idiot but I know I'm not the only one whose done that. Maybe we can take some cues from modern webpage design to make the forums more accessible or readily obvious or something.

I think the format is fine. I love that we don't do the stupid upvote or - + poo poo. I think the forums are still (as forums go) one of the best moderated on the internet. There's legit great info in many of the subforums, and good discussion to be had in many others. We've got the product, it's our delivery/marketing that is lacking.

Granted the content has fallen off and that probably makes it a little more difficult (less photoshop phridays means less photos going around on the internet with the SA logo on em) but idk I feel like there's a lot of underutilized talent that could be given some direction with a free plat or avatar contest for the best shop or something like that.

longform snipe

same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape
Still broken for me. Every fourth new page sends me to the App Store and these come up about half the time:

Edit: that gidamb target ad came up after I posted then I got redirected to http://clm.afftrack.com/blank

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Toasticle fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 13, 2015

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape
It's mutating.

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape
Help I don't need handbags OR lighters

Vitamin Boss
Oct 23, 2006
Burn it to the ground

Triticum Guzzler posted:

i would like your web site to continue so i will look at the ads, and hell, maybe even click on them once in a while. good luck.

Same here

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Lowtax posted:

AIN'T NOBODY BUYING NOTHING ON THE FORUMS AND WE'RE PULLING IN 90% LESS OF WHAT WE USED TO SO PLEASE GOD BUY SOMETHING, BUY ANYTHING, BUY EVERYTHING, I NEED ALL THE MONEY

:(

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
No ads is cheaper than ur latest t swift alumn you bought. Just man up and buy it

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

Lowtax posted:

Yes it is!

Please make a patreon man

For the forums, the boys in tcc, the bros in gbs and the 1985 Chicago bears

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

Luvcow posted:

GBS is an embarrassment and drives people away, people I know that used to post here think there is nothing left here worthwhile and a quick glance at the GBS front page easily confirms that for most people (ie threads about hating retarded people, hating fat people, outright racism, rape jokes etc.) GBS is constantly trying to be fyad and they are predictably terrible at it.

Of course there are still hidden gems on the forums but GBS needs a mass cleansing of assholes that I don't think anyone is willing to do because it mind end up permabanning 90% of the people left here.

I think thou protests too much

GBS rules

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
Im going to leave adblock on. lets face it , friends and GBS lurkers have already made u very rich on my behalf.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

That Robot posted:

Please make a patreon man

For the forums, the boys in tcc, the bros in gbs and the 1985 Chicago bears

i'd sign up for that realtalk

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Moridin920 posted:

Ey here's some actual thoughts though being serious:

We don't have the popularity we used to, obviously. Now we have competition like Reddit and 4chan and such, too.

What are we doing to get new users? Who knows about SA? Like if you're a teenager right now, the only way you really know about it is if someone tells you about it. Then you get to the website, and the 'Forums' button is all the way in the top left, you can also get there through the directory drop down, and there's the popular threads thing, but it really isn't immediately obvious that there are discussion forums and they are the main part of the site.

Basically almost everyone I talk to says they heard about it from a friend, but as our user base and popularity declines we can rely on that word of mouth less and less. I'm pretty sure at this point the bulk of our new users comes from people in MMOs seeing the goon guilds stomp around.

Also, the front page stuff is great (imo) and I loved it a lot when a goon told me about SA, but I was reading the front page for a year before I even realized there were forums. I mean yeah maybe I'm an idiot but I know I'm not the only one whose done that. Maybe we can take some cues from modern webpage design to make the forums more accessible or readily obvious or something.

I think the format is fine. I love that we don't do the stupid upvote or - + poo poo. I think the forums are still (as forums go) one of the best moderated on the internet. There's legit great info in many of the subforums, and good discussion to be had in many others. We've got the product, it's our delivery/marketing that is lacking.

Granted the content has fallen off and that probably makes it a little more difficult (less photoshop phridays means less photos going around on the internet with the SA logo on em) but idk I feel like there's a lot of underutilized talent that could be given some direction with a free plat or avatar contest for the best shop or something like that.

longform snipe

There's a front page???!!!!??

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

AbbadonOfHell posted:

We gotta do something that gets attention again, in a good funny slightly assholeish way. How to go about that I'm not sure, possibly manufacture some fake drama and managed to make sure that all the goons are in on it and don't go giving it away. Good luck with that though.

My current best idea is we need to do some type of fairly large scale prank, cause some goofy poo poo on twitter that links back to us or something.

(gently caress it, I'm buying plat finally.) Ummm, no choice for Paypal (I understand though) *sigh*

Lowtax should run for President of the USA.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
Sounds like its goonvasion time

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

That Robot posted:

I think thou protests too much

GBS rules

you are part of the problem then and should be permabanned

K. Farb
Aug 6, 2009

I'd give you a ride, but I got Karl Farbman here.
That's extremely unchill to say.

By the way, what happened to byob? Currently it has less users browsing than the gas chamber.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

K. Farb posted:

That's extremely unchill to say.

By the way, what happened to byob? Currently it has less users browsing than the gas chamber.

the same thing that happened to fyad

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

pog boyfriend posted:

its incredibly telling about the absolutely horrible state of this subforum that a thread about fixing the ads turned into people talking about gbs, trying to flame each other about being gbs posters, and making ironic jokes about being given power

as opposed to every other "lowtax announces a thing" thread

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

whoflungpoop posted:

Hi Lowtax I already have every upgrade on here but for my gbs fantasy football league ill be buying some forum certs as prizes for the 1st and 2nd place and also a custom title for whatever preposterous fuckup comes in last so thats like 40-50bux u can take to the bank (in a few months)

Can u add some vanity options for the plat grenade icons bc i would happily buy a diamond or maybe a poo and i bet more users would rebuy their plat if they too could buy a diamond or maybe a poo

i also am running a gbs related raffle thing to give away forums upgrades bought by a few gbs users and this would be cool

edit: it's actually pretty interesting that there are two separate gbs things going on right now that are directly bringing money to the forums... are any other subforums doing this kind of thing? maybe they should take a lesson from gbs

big black turnout fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Sep 14, 2015

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
i put up some ads, you're welcome

E: GBS and Games are the only reason this site is even afloat lol, but yeah, lets definitely nuke GBS

Tom Brady fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Sep 14, 2015

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

So what percentage of the current income stream is Jon Pop reregs?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

What ever happened to all the J-list ads? Those creepy anime ads were the best.

Al Nipper
May 7, 2008

by XyloJW
Please post this in GBS so people there know, as well!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Luvcow posted:

GBS is an embarrassment and drives people away, people I know that used to post here think there is nothing left here worthwhile and a quick glance at the GBS front page easily confirms that for most people (ie threads about hating retarded people, hating fat people, outright racism, rape jokes etc.) GBS is constantly trying to be fyad and they are predictably terrible at it.

Of course there are still hidden gems on the forums but GBS needs a mass cleansing of assholes that I don't think anyone is willing to do because it mind end up permabanning 90% of the people left here.

Also thank you lowtax and I'm sorry your site has fallen so far :(
I don't understand how it can be both "well, we have reddit to compete with now" and "well, GBS is full of bigots and terrible idiots". how can it be both

small hendren
Jan 27, 2011

anthonypants posted:

I don't understand how it can be both "well, we have reddit to compete with now" and "well, GBS is full of bigots and terrible idiots". how can it be both

You probably don't understand because you're a loving idiot lol.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Lowtax posted:

Sorry it took so long to get this done, but the problem with bad ads (pops, malware, etc) should finally be resolved. We were finally accepted back onto the Google AdSense network, which does a much superior job of automatically filtering out the sketchy ads which automatically destroy your computer machine when loaded. Additionally, our Rubicon representative has been helping set up a dynamic blacklist of badvertisers that should keep them at bay, if any Rubicon ads are served.

So I apologize for it taking so long to resolve, but it was difficult joining a respected ad network because everybody everywhere hates us and we're not popular anymore and the forums were better back in 2002 and I remember the old days back when blah blah blah. Oh, and another benefit of having this new ad network is that we'll hopefully pull in more money, because right now AIN'T NOBODY BUYING NOTHING ON THE FORUMS AND WE'RE PULLING IN 90% LESS OF WHAT WE USED TO SO PLEASE GOD BUY SOMETHING, BUY ANYTHING, BUY EVERYTHING, I NEED ALL THE MONEY

Thank you, and please have a pleasant forum experience.

- Rich "Lowtax" Kyanka
Do not sign your own posts

Thank you for fixing the ads.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

I get this ad about 80% of the time starting last night. It's nice that it's only 2 seconds long but it still autoplays with sound on almost every page I load. Worse, it seems to load twice so if I do manage to hit pause, another one plays anyway.

BrawndoTQ
Oct 18, 2001

Lowtax posted:

PLEASE GOD BUY SOMETHING, BUY ANYTHING, BUY EVERYTHING

how much for the whole forums?

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

i wish loxtax posted more and also wrote more front page articles. hes a funny guy

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

brizna posted:

how much for the whole forums?

$400,000?

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Thanks lowtax. Thanks everybody.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

zen death robot posted:

Does the "adchoices" button give an option to complain about the ad?

Nope. I can opt out of targeted advertising but that's it.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

good ad

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
chagre 4.99 money for the app for ios and android. give half to the people who developed it. (gently caress GBS) get John Dongle, inventor of the stock market, to do an ask tell since we're a forum of 54 year old IT professionals making 100k and interested in finance and new crossfit exercises

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

Luvcow posted:

you are part of the problem then and should be permabanned

thanks for your black-and-white belief system where you are right 100% of the time

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
Bring back LF.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

trying to jack off posted:

i wish loxtax posted more and also wrote more front page articles. hes a funny guy

That would be encouraging, also, for the user base, who sometime feel abandoned.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

anne frank fanfic posted:

chagre 4.99 money for the app for ios and android. give half to the people who developed it. (gently caress GBS) get John Dongle, inventor of the stock market, to do an ask tell since we're a forum of 54 year old IT professionals making 100k and interested in finance and new crossfit exercises

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

thatfatkid posted:

Bring back LF.

even if I was poor and selling my rear end for meth, I'd prefer not to have the Secret Service coming to my home on the reg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

anne frank fanfic posted:

incidentally no-ads is $5 and the android version doesn't display ads