Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Thinking about buying some ads for the GOONPAC thread. That's definitely under the banner of 'nonprofit', correct? And it's definitely okay as long as there's nothing NWS there, correct?

I wouldn't normally ask, but SA's not exactly historically consistent with how they handle politics and partisanship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

hey so that MAKE SOMETHING AWFUL AGAIN banner ad links to a Photoshop thread I think the site would be better off just deleting. It wasn't okay in 2005 either, but holy poo poo? straight up hard -ER n-bomb on page 9. We're better than this.

Agreed. And take down the openly transphobic and trans-shaming Fashion SWAT entries too. It’s a horrendous look for the site, and they’re not hard to find.

quote:

Zack: "Emotionally transgendered" is pretty much the definition I think of when I derisively call someone a human being. You can throw dicks up asses all you want, you can be Carson from Queer Eye in a faded pink Morrissey shirt, but you're just gay. This guy is a loving human being.

Dr. Thorpe: Come on, it might not be his fault. Some people are just born this guy and just have to sail where the wind takes them, even if it's into gothic pagan kitten-fairy pajamaland

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

CaptainSarcastic posted:

There is some truth to this.

I just checked and the Offensive Cereals photoshop thread is easily accessible on the Wayback Machine, for instance.

Rather than deleting content and leaving the door wide-open to "oh yeah, SA used to be horrible and here is proof!" stuff maybe a better approach would be a sort of gas chamber for front page content? Keep the content but put it in a place clearly labeled as being disavowed, regretted, and disowned? Something like that?

It would still represent the site. This isn’t a public library, nor an online textbook about internet bigotry in the 2000s. It’s an entertainment site and a private business.

Ads are being served on these pages right now. Would they be served in said hypothetical gas chamber (also could we drop some of the gas chamber poo poo, seeing as how 1488 incarnate is the president of the United States?) too, thus bringing SA revenue from their inclusion?

And putting them all in a repository with a big fat THIS IS WHERE WE KEEP ALL OF THE OLD OFFENSIVE AND BIGOTED CONTENT. WE DISAVOW ALL THE STUFF IN HERE. HERE BE DRAGONS, RACIST JOKES, AND QUEERBASHING. KEEP OUT PLS, UNLESS YOU ARE A HISTORIAN WHO WANTS TO SEE WHAT SA USED TO BE LIKE would just make it easier for bigots and white nationalists to find and copy all of the stuff.

Like if you put it all in one place with a big sign on the front then you might as well post links to it on 4chan/T_D/etc too, because that’s 100% what would happen anyway.

Let the Wayback Machine serve its purpose as a historical record of internets past and let SA move forward without continuing to chain itself to this boat anchor of poo poo.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
But if we don't leave everything as it is--or better yet, put it all together in a repository with a big angry sign on the front and a URL that every hooting chud can just link to one-another until we're seeing goon-made work from 2005 pop up in boomer Facebook threads about AOC's feet then Our History will be destroyed!!!! :ohdear: :ohdear: :ohdear: is a hell of a multiverse-brain take

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Again, for like the third time, if you lump that stuff together and put a sign on it but keep it accesible, you’ll just make it easier for the wrong kinds of people to find and share it. The confederate flag argument is crap, this isn’t a museum.

Nuke that poo poo, scholars in 50 years aren’t going to be sad that we deleted a picture of “Adolf’s Orange Jews” or whatever. (I just looked again- there’s an entry called “K*ke Krispies” for fucks sake)

And to stay on topic with the thread, somebody please take down the MAKE SOMETHING AWFUL AGAIN ad that links to it. It was clearly done with bigoted intent and every day that it stays up is an embarrassment to this site and its management.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Voting not it on this threads idea to force Lowtax to apologize for and remove Something Awful content.

Grow up, nobody said that. Just take down the poo poo with the obvious slurs and homo/transphobia. Other, way bigger sites have dealt with this problem in the same way.

You don’t have to run a campaign to cleanse the back catalog or whatever either. If somebody finds and reports something, look at it and take it down.

Lord Stimperor posted:

Hoo boy. That is some poo poo. :stonk: Really shows you how that edgy-totally-not-a-nazi-actually-a-nazi culture comes from.

I think deleting the stuff isn't right. That'd be akin to whitewashing, like conglomerates conveniently omitting the deals they made with the original Nazis. Simply putting it out there with a boilerplate doesn't look right either. It'll be a magnet for shitheads.

The only way I could see this treated 'correctly' would be as in a documentary format. A longform article or video showcasing what was posted here, why people like Lowtax thought this was a good use of bandwidth, how it laid the groundwork for the alt-right of the 2010s, how it ties into and ties into modern fascist thinking. The lesson to learn must stand in the foreground.

This is super unnecessary. SA has historical value but this isn’t like IBM working for the Third Reich or anything like that. Just take that poo poo down and be done with it. We don’t need to put the site in a loving hairshirt, just be better (which the site already is) and don’t host bigoted content.

If it would get you permabanned today then it doesn’t belong on the site.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Rectal Death Adept posted:

I don't think this is a very good argument. The bar for permabans was lowered from actual crime/pedophiles/gurf to people who have mild disagreements with an administrator.

Fair enough.

Still gotta get the bigotry stuff off the site. The history argument rings incredibly hollow.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Lowtax posted:

Yeah that PP isn't funny at all and really doesn't have any place here, so I'm deleting it. AND NOTHING OF VALUE WAS LOST

Thank you for cleaning out the bullshit Lowtax

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

JK Fresco posted:

A lot of these are pretty good

jk fresco got banned two months ago for......let’s seeeeeee....racism

huh how bout that

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

imgay posted:

Why shouldn't they? If SA accepts their money for 30 days of advertising, and then pulls the add the next day, why should they have to pay?

Something Awful needs to fix the process for buying ads so that there is a review process, or actually post some kind of actual rules as to what kind of ads you can and cannot buy at the least

It’s been mentioned that SA does chargebacks in that case, but I’m actually pretty ok with people losing their deposit on an ad buy in the same way that nobody gets their membership refunded when they eat a ban, no matter how arbitrary or nebulous that ban might seem.

The ad buy page already says, in two spots, that anything deemed by admins to not be work safe/unacceptable for somebody browsing at their office is subject to removal. Do we really need a list enumerating what that is?

At the end of the day, it’s $8 for a month’s hosting of a nonprofit ad and like less than $30 for-profit. 90% of them are bought as jokes or to promote a thread.

Also, lololol at sticking up so hard for the consumer rights of Kiwifarms trash, but shine on I guess.

They didn’t know that creating links to “n*gg*rforums.trannydeath” was bad! Oh these poor confused adult men! Somebody needs to list the rules about what ads are and aren’t acceptable ahahahahahahaha talk about being terminally white online ahahahahahaha

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Is using the word “gently caress” allowed in a banner ad or is that verboten?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

I wouldn't enjoy seeing it in an ad

:(

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I just purchased an ad (GOONPAC! Go donate money and volunteer before the Iowa Caucus and help us usher in a thousand years of gay space communism so nobody has to bankrupt themselves to get medical care!) but it gets to the end of the gif animation and then doesn't cycle back to the beginning. It goes through the first four frames just fine and then hangs on the last one without going back to 1.

As far as I can tell, I ticked all of the right settings in Photoshop when I made it, and if I open the gif as a file on my desktop it cycles through all of the frames indefinitely as intended. But when I upload it to Imgur it reaches the end and sits there, just as it's doing right now on the Forums.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

SupSuper posted:

Doesn't seem to be set to loop correctly:

Here's a fixed version:

Aw yeah! Thanks so much dude! It's weird because I definitely set it to loop "forever" in Photoshop and my copies here work fine. Maybe it's a MacOS/PC thing?

Can a mod/admin replace the dud one or do I need to do a new ad buy? Should I email about it? Having the current one stick on "goonpac" isn't the worst possible outcome but it'd be nice if it cycled through the little rhyme.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

QCS Floor Manager posted:

I will add this to the daily QCS Roundup so the proper person sees the request.

Thank you!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

so this probably shouldn’t be here...

It goes to a Patreon page that I’m guessing Lowtax would prefer I not link.

Seems to link to a page that was taken down, as all I'm getting is the Patreon homepage.

What was it linking to?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Doesn't, like, a decent divorce where there isn't a bunch of extra fighting or scary poo poo or time-consuming poo poo or extra legal poo poo cost on the order of $20k? Like, maybe the most "no alarms and no surprises" divorce can be done for $10-15k? Imagine being salty enough that Lowtax has "$50k in savings" to buy an ad about it.

Like hoopty-doo he's in his 40s and maybe he can afford to retire for like two years, assuming that those savings don't go literally anywhere else. Guess he's robbing his patreon subscribers blind I tell ya.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

The Bloop posted:

Mine cost about $100

I guess it's more if you're rich and have lots of complicated bullshit assets but in that case cry me a river

Lowtax has kids. Isn't custody the most expensive, time consuming thing?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

QCS Floor Manager posted:

I will add this to the daily QCS Roundup so the proper person sees the request.

Not to be a bother, but did anything end up coming of this? I haven't heard from anybody and the ad is unchanged.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Arrhythmia posted:

It looks like there's three ads in rotation. Two properly loop, one doesn't.

Yep, I just bought two new ones today and used the gif that SupSuper fixed. At this point, I'm happy to just let the oldest, non-looping, one die once its time runs out if that would be less of a headache, but if it's got a week or two left in it I'd appreciate it if it worked like the other two.

Ultimately, it does the job of advertising the thread it's for.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

SupSuper posted:

Doesn't seem to be set to loop correctly:

Here's a fixed version:

Hey- I have another ad gif I need help fixing. Again, it cycles forever on my desktop, etc- but once I send it to imgur it comes out unable to loop properly.

I would've sent you a PM about it, but you can't receive those. I'll buy you an upgrade if you help me out!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

SupSuper posted:

Sure, :justpost: or you can contact me at <username>@gmail.com if you don't wanna derail the thread.

I have zero qualms about thread derailing but a great many qualms about basic interpersonal interaction over email, so here's an imgur link:

Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

This rules. You rule. Is there an upgrade I can buy you?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
gettin goatsed on sa like the good ol days

thanks dad

....lol Alex jones says he was in a hot tub, and that's why he was impaired despite being technically below .08 (which is bullshit because those tests are grossly innacurate and imprecise), motherfucker got caught driving dangerously

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 10, 2020

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

que sera sera posted:

This poster still has no plat :( shameful

I was gonna do it when I bought the new ads. sorry :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Len posted:

This was on the top ad and i feel like it wasn't legit

I legitimately don’t know if this ad is a joke or not