Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
thank you lowtax

I'll try and get more people to sign up

gbs is fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Ey here's some actual thoughts though being serious:

We don't have the popularity we used to, obviously. Now we have competition like Reddit and 4chan and such, too.

What are we doing to get new users? Who knows about SA? Like if you're a teenager right now, the only way you really know about it is if someone tells you about it. Then you get to the website, and the 'Forums' button is all the way in the top left, you can also get there through the directory drop down, and there's the popular threads thing, but it really isn't immediately obvious that there are discussion forums and they are the main part of the site.

Basically almost everyone I talk to says they heard about it from a friend, but as our user base and popularity declines we can rely on that word of mouth less and less. I'm pretty sure at this point the bulk of our new users comes from people in MMOs seeing the goon guilds stomp around.

Also, the front page stuff is great (imo) and I loved it a lot when a goon told me about SA, but I was reading the front page for a year before I even realized there were forums. I mean yeah maybe I'm an idiot but I know I'm not the only one whose done that. Maybe we can take some cues from modern webpage design to make the forums more accessible or readily obvious or something.

I think the format is fine. I love that we don't do the stupid upvote or - + poo poo. I think the forums are still (as forums go) one of the best moderated on the internet. There's legit great info in many of the subforums, and good discussion to be had in many others. We've got the product, it's our delivery/marketing that is lacking.

Granted the content has fallen off and that probably makes it a little more difficult (less photoshop phridays means less photos going around on the internet with the SA logo on em) but idk I feel like there's a lot of underutilized talent that could be given some direction with a free plat or avatar contest for the best shop or something like that.

longform snipe

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Also rewrite all Amazon links in posts to have a referral coming from Lowtax or SomethingAwful or something. Probably wouldn't be that hard code wise and it'd get you a non 0 amount of money.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Luvcow posted:

GBS is an embarrassment and drives people away, people I know that used to post here think there is nothing left here worthwhile and a quick glance at the GBS front page easily confirms that for most people (ie threads about hating retarded people, hating fat people, outright racism, rape jokes etc.) GBS is constantly trying to be fyad and they are predictably terrible at it.

yeah they've kind of taken the relaxed rules and are turning it way too 'ironic' I agree

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

little munchkin posted:

yea I know a lot of people complain about the days when most gbs threads were just copy-pasted news stories, but lots of mentally healthy people like to discuss current events, and only a small handful of mentally broken middle-aged men like to obsess over transexuals, children's cartoons, prostitutes, and video games from 15 years ago

those are all actual examples of things that have multiple threads on the front page of gbs

Yeah idk what people's huge problem with discussing topical things is.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Haifisch posted:

It made people realize the forums were getting full of older people who liked discussing news, instead of college students who liked posting dank memes and "look at this weird poo poo from other sites" threads.

Also something about people posting things in relevant subforums, except we have so many of those that there's not much left to post in GBS.

Ehh idk I always liked discussing topical events even as a 15 year old. The memes are funny but they get old loving quick.

We maybe should have a forum for utter silliness and then GBS where we can talk about stuff more seriously. I know we have FYAD and BYOB but a) those subforums look like poo poo it's like ponies jizzed everywhere, and b) they are clique-y and insular as gently caress and people don't feel comfortable posting in there. D&D is the other extreme.

There definitely could be a cut back on subforums though I agree - especially in regards to GBS. It's like we have to remove any type of discussion and move it to its own subforum because 'GBS has to remain pure' but what are we left with other than stupid racist/tranny/doobie threads?

I like most of the subject specific subforums though, there's good info from people in the field and there's less stupid trolls all over the thread.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Sep 17, 2015

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
aggro-gator is just annoying because there's a bunch of banner ads and none of them deliver what they promise at all.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BattleMaster posted:

But they were all obviously fake; the only one I saw that I was disappointed because I wanted it to be real was the "World of Sloths" ad.

that SJW RPG looking enticing alright

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Libelous Slander posted:

you guys must have a lot of adware and viruses, i never have issues browsing the site or the ads

For real I'm baffled and can only conclude they've got spyware/hijackers/whatever from bad torrents and poo poo.

I've never ever had a spyware/malware issue with SA's ads let alone having SA links open an ad.

Kurtofan posted:

I clicked on an SA link and it opened an ad in another tab.

That's straight your browser has been hijacked.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ArbitraryC posted:

You probably just have a more up to date firewall, there's been some malware cruising around these forums for a bit now that I pick up everytime I forget to turn my firewall back on after playing games with friends. Not hard to get rid of or prevent but it is there if you're careless.

My firewall is turned off entirely sometimes when I'm on SA and I've never got anything from it. I don't click the ads though I guess.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i mean just use the awful app what the gently caress

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Quintilius Lowtax, give me back my ads!

Assfingeringlair posted:

Its painfully obvious rubicon is fobbing you off. As this has been an issue for literally years and those kind of ads are a core business model for them.

Eh they could be a little more on top of poo poo I guess but idk that it's an intentional scam.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lowtax posted:

Plus it is defeating the entire purpose I originally began charging money for people to register (HINT: it wasn't a moneymaking idea, it was a "Jesus Christ get Tastyarmageddon off these loving forums" idea).

imo this is one of the biggest reasons this forum isn't a poo poo show (well, not as much as other forums anyway).

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
it's me I'm hijacking your browsers and stealing your bytes

the matrix is real

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Sent Lowtax an email. What sucks is I dunno really what ads are doing it because they redirect and then if I hit the back button the ad itself is different... does the URL link it takes us to help at all?

My anti-virus is starting to just block the redirects on its own once in a while which means you guys are fairly close to Google bots marking the domain as a malicious site :\

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Oct 18, 2016

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

zen death robot posted:

I have literally no control whatsoever over ads so while I understand the issue there's nothing at all I can do about it.

In that case are these posts even helpful?

'Cuz if it's more of an annoying 'yeah I KNOW dammit!' then I'll just shoot an email to that address you provided directly if I stumble across an ad rather than post it in here. Not trying to be a pain or anything.

e: \/\/\/ didn't think you were, fwiw

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Oct 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
For the rep: in terms of reporting bad ads, what's the most useful thing we can do as average posters? Does it help to post the URL we are being redirected to, or a screenshot or maybe a timestamp of when it happened?

I got a redirect a couple days ago but overall the frequency has been massively reduced so that's good.