Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
make a fund raiser OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
im gonna buy plat so OP can have a spaghetti dinner

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

Moridin920 posted:

Ey here's some actual thoughts though being serious:

We don't have the popularity we used to, obviously. Now we have competition like Reddit and 4chan and such, too.

What are we doing to get new users? Who knows about SA? Like if you're a teenager right now, the only way you really know about it is if someone tells you about it. Then you get to the website, and the 'Forums' button is all the way in the top left, you can also get there through the directory drop down, and there's the popular threads thing, but it really isn't immediately obvious that there are discussion forums and they are the main part of the site.

Basically almost everyone I talk to says they heard about it from a friend, but as our user base and popularity declines we can rely on that word of mouth less and less. I'm pretty sure at this point the bulk of our new users comes from people in MMOs seeing the goon guilds stomp around.

Also, the front page stuff is great (imo) and I loved it a lot when a goon told me about SA, but I was reading the front page for a year before I even realized there were forums. I mean yeah maybe I'm an idiot but I know I'm not the only one whose done that. Maybe we can take some cues from modern webpage design to make the forums more accessible or readily obvious or something.

I think the format is fine. I love that we don't do the stupid upvote or - + poo poo. I think the forums are still (as forums go) one of the best moderated on the internet. There's legit great info in many of the subforums, and good discussion to be had in many others. We've got the product, it's our delivery/marketing that is lacking.

Granted the content has fallen off and that probably makes it a little more difficult (less photoshop phridays means less photos going around on the internet with the SA logo on em) but idk I feel like there's a lot of underutilized talent that could be given some direction with a free plat or avatar contest for the best shop or something like that.

longform snipe

same

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
If OP were posting more I bet more ppl would register.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

Moridin920 posted:

Ehh idk I always liked discussing topical events even as a 15 year old. The memes are funny but they get old loving quick.

We maybe should have a forum for utter silliness and then GBS where we can talk about stuff more seriously. I know we have FYAD and BYOB but a) those subforums look like poo poo it's like ponies jizzed everywhere, and b) they are clique-y and insular as gently caress and people don't feel comfortable posting in there. D&D is the other extreme.

There definitely could be a cut back on subforums though I agree - especially in regards to GBS. It's like we have to remove any type of discussion and move it to its own subforum because 'GBS has to remain pure' but what are we left with other than stupid racist/tranny/doobie threads?

I like most of the subject specific subforums though, there's good info from people in the field and there's less stupid trolls all over the thread.

Same

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
I want more ads.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
I <3 Video TV

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
Bad ad i assume. Getting this in chrome. And when I click the (all black) banner at the top of the page I come to https://hotelscombined.com/ (don't click, probably?)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

KoRMaK posted:

The burdensome haul of enabling your adblock and clicking the ad you wish to block

Make anime ads unblockable tia