Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Moridin920 posted:

Ey here's some actual thoughts though being serious:

We don't have the popularity we used to, obviously. Now we have competition like Reddit and 4chan and such, too.

What are we doing to get new users? Who knows about SA? Like if you're a teenager right now, the only way you really know about it is if someone tells you about it. Then you get to the website, and the 'Forums' button is all the way in the top left, you can also get there through the directory drop down, and there's the popular threads thing, but it really isn't immediately obvious that there are discussion forums and they are the main part of the site.

Basically almost everyone I talk to says they heard about it from a friend, but as our user base and popularity declines we can rely on that word of mouth less and less. I'm pretty sure at this point the bulk of our new users comes from people in MMOs seeing the goon guilds stomp around.

Also, the front page stuff is great (imo) and I loved it a lot when a goon told me about SA, but I was reading the front page for a year before I even realized there were forums. I mean yeah maybe I'm an idiot but I know I'm not the only one whose done that. Maybe we can take some cues from modern webpage design to make the forums more accessible or readily obvious or something.

I think the format is fine. I love that we don't do the stupid upvote or - + poo poo. I think the forums are still (as forums go) one of the best moderated on the internet. There's legit great info in many of the subforums, and good discussion to be had in many others. We've got the product, it's our delivery/marketing that is lacking.

Granted the content has fallen off and that probably makes it a little more difficult (less photoshop phridays means less photos going around on the internet with the SA logo on em) but idk I feel like there's a lot of underutilized talent that could be given some direction with a free plat or avatar contest for the best shop or something like that.

longform snipe

I think making the forums more visible is a good idea, and also making them a little more friendly to people without an account yet. The autoplay video that pops up if you try to access a thread behind the paywall is funny and all, but I bet there is a significant population that hit it and immediately close the tab. It's not really worksafe, either, in the sense that it can be really drat loud.

Maybe something along the lines of what a lot of newspapers are doing, with a limited number of free pageviews and a nag screen would help drive new regs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

That Robot posted:

gbs is fine as it is

i don't know why you're so upset about people making fun of everything on a comedy website

I think that hating on GBS has passed from being a hobby to a vocation for some people.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Ayin posted:

It's talking about this and this, things which are certainly not pseudoscience.

Yes, those are things, and the weird petition alludes to them, but refers to them as PAWS which (while it can result from benzos) is generally something related to substance use disorders, which the author essentially disavows.

I'm not saying the ad should be nuked, but it is pretty clearly an anti-psychiatric medicine stance, which is generally rooted in pseudoscience..

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Facebook Aunt posted:

You can't delete history, maaaan.

There is some truth to this.

I just checked and the Offensive Cereals photoshop thread is easily accessible on the Wayback Machine, for instance.

Rather than deleting content and leaving the door wide-open to "oh yeah, SA used to be horrible and here is proof!" stuff maybe a better approach would be a sort of gas chamber for front page content? Keep the content but put it in a place clearly labeled as being disavowed, regretted, and disowned? Something like that?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Well, it was just a thought. I don't have strong feelings about it.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

tangy yet delightful posted:

I don't think you'd need to include avatars in this pre-approval system. Just make a new rule that say we will ban you for avatars that violate our standards and repeated violations will result in a perma.

Ads are probably less high volume and can be handled on a pre approval basis.

I'm pretty sure that there is no way to tell who bought an avatar, so there is no way to enforce what you suggest. The only thing the mods can do is delete and replace offensive avatars if they go through.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Out of morbid curiosity, since the second ad linked to a less sketchy-looking URL, I went ahead and read through what it contains. And I honestly don't see how it is damning evidence of anything other than the local investigator who wrote most of the entries being an abject embarrassment. Whoever is buying these things seems to be taking a really dumb "CHECKMATE ATHESITS!" approach to it, and it simply doesn't contain anything like what they seem to think it does.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Krankenstyle posted:

i really dont think its a sneaky conspiracy lol

As someone who has followed the bad ad thread for a very long time, I agree. Speculating some sort of ill intent runs entirely counter to the Keystone Cops nature of how ad issues arise and are dealt with historically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

one of these is not like the others

It appears to just link to the forums main page. Maybe somebody is just really nostalgic for the late 90s?