Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
Sorry it took so long to get this done, but the problem with bad ads (pops, malware, etc) should finally be resolved. We were finally accepted back onto the Google AdSense network, which does a much superior job of automatically filtering out the sketchy ads which automatically destroy your computer machine when loaded. Additionally, our Rubicon representative has been helping set up a dynamic blacklist of badvertisers that should keep them at bay, if any Rubicon ads are served.

So I apologize for it taking so long to resolve, but it was difficult joining a respected ad network because everybody everywhere hates us and we're not popular anymore and the forums were better back in 2002 and I remember the old days back when blah blah blah. Oh, and another benefit of having this new ad network is that we'll hopefully pull in more money, because right now AIN'T NOBODY BUYING NOTHING ON THE FORUMS AND WE'RE PULLING IN 90% LESS OF WHAT WE USED TO SO PLEASE GOD BUY SOMETHING, BUY ANYTHING, BUY EVERYTHING, I NEED ALL THE MONEY

Thank you, and please have a pleasant forum experience.

- Rich "Lowtax" Kyanka
Do not sign your own posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Bwee posted:

Thanks. Is the 90% figure real. That's a huge cut
Yes it is!

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

drilldo squirt posted:

So it's safe to turn off addblock?
Yes it is!

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
Okay, getting on top of this poo poo

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Moridin920 posted:

My firewall is turned off entirely sometimes when I'm on SA and I've never got anything from it. I don't click the ads though I guess.
I've also never gotten any sort of malware or viruses or redirects, which makes it difficult for me to track down anything from people who claim they have.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

vug posted:

You hosed up smartphones again
I didn't change or do anything!

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
I have been actively talking to Rubicon about their mobile takeover ads, and will be switching off them if it isn't resolved soon. They are looking into the issue and admit it's been happening on their end and bad ads have been sneaking through their filtering process.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
Just talked to Rubicon; they set up a very conservative whitelist for mobile ads, so things should immediately be fixed. Sorry it took so long!

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
I'm trying to get the BRAND NEW BAD AD issue resolved with Rubicon now. I apologize, I thought they had actually resolved it by whitelisting certain ads, but poo poo is still getting past them. I will keep you all updated.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
Kinda pissed off this is still happening, can't sleep, working on it now.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

CharlesM posted:

Aren't they kinda hoodwinking you?
In their defense, shithead advertising scammers are always coming up with new ways to circumvent their screening.

In their offense, their security site hasn't been updated since 2012:

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

zen death robot posted:

Seriously, please - for now you can go to:

User Control Panel -> Edit Options -> Enable Mobile Layout on Mobile Devices

The annoying thing about it is that it'll do it on desktop browsers still, so you'll have to turn it back off or use uBlock Origin to block mobile.css and the mobile.js (I don't have those on hand to copy/paste or I would) and you'll get ad-free mobile browsing with your phone's web browser and no 3rd party app.

Lowtax is still working on it so it's not 100% complete, but it's still better than trying to hit tiny buttons on your phones screen regardless.

Unless you have really tiny fingers, then maybe it isn't
No dont do that, this is all a ploy to try to make people buy the no-ads upgrade!!!

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

FactsAreUseless posted:

Title of thread is right. Someone should really resolve the bad ad problem.
yeah somebody should be working on this

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Assfingeringlair posted:

Its painfully obvious rubicon is fobbing you off. As this has been an issue for literally years and those kind of ads are a core business model for them.

If ads are making insignificant amounts of cash for you (as you've stated many times), then disable them and either eliminate ads altogether or use google ads like everyone else instead of making users use adblock or pay you no ads to access the site.
Well the problem is now that ads are generating more revenue than forums income, which has fallen 70-80%. So unfortunately I'm not in the financial position to ditch advertising networks at this point, and I need to get these issues resolved with them. I mean, they're a publicly traded company, they should have some way of dealing with this.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Kaizoku posted:

At this point 'not being staffed for the service you offer despite profits' should be viewed just as much as a scam. It's an ad network, not a mom-n-pop drugstore or one of those poor suffering multi-million kickstarter videogame companies.
Yeah exactly, their publisher support is bare-bones and unresponsive at times, and you'd think they'd take stuff like app store redirects / takeovers more seriously and work on their algorithms to weed this poo poo out. They're a big company, I don't know what's going on there.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

epsilon-6 posted:

Has advertising revenue fallen significantly as well? Because it looks like without attracting new users, eventually all your revenue streams will dry up despite whatever fancy "seriously* only good* ads**" network is presently loving you.
Yeah, it's down about 60-70% as well, they both go hand in hand.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Assfingeringlair posted:

Thought about opening registration?
No.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Mrit posted:

Opening registration will maybe bring in a few people, but 99% of the accounts will be spam bots and backup accounts for posters. It also reduces the likelihood people will pay for future accounts as they will expect accounts to become free in the future.
Plus it is defeating the entire purpose I originally began charging money for people to register (HINT: it wasn't a moneymaking idea, it was a "Jesus Christ get Tastyarmageddon off these loving forums" idea).

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Thingyman posted:

Why keep rubicon around at all when you have google ads now?
Because Google has about a 30-40% fill rate. They're our top tier ad network obviously, but like all networks they stop serving ads based on various factors, the biggest of which is the number of pages consumed by a unique IP. Since the average forum user consumes between 19-30 pages, Google traditionally will only fill or serve around 1/3rd of that, so we have to use alternate ad networks to fill remnants, and even then Rubicon leaves another 60% unfilled. So blah blah blah ads basically.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
We can set up an optional recurring billing system easy, but I'd have to figure out something to give to reward people who sign up for it.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

FactsAreUseless posted:

You could change Archives access from a 30 dollar flat fee to like $5 or $10 a month, since archives take up a lot of server space and work.
We're actually doing the opposite and going to hopefully try to merge the archives into the live db so search will work on them and everyone can access them.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Acne Rain posted:

seriously, right now my new latest top of the line iphone is the only machine I have that cannot take me to a page on the forums and STAY there, my ipad is several generations out of date in both hardware and os and it does it fine, my lovely computer does it fine, why can't this super expensive wonder phone perform the simple, basic task of browsing a web forum.
What exactly is occurring and when did it last occur?

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Acne Rain posted:

well I've been consistantly having redirect issues on iphone 6 safari, in which no matter which page of the forum I'm loading I keep getting taken to a series of five or six rapidly changing urls to some scam page.
Later I'll take note of what sites it redirects too, working atm
When was the last time this happened to you?

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Acne Rain posted:

Last night at 9:30.

And just now, attempting to browse the forum on my phone got me to ads.themobilegames.net twice out of three attempts to load a page so far.
history also includes cdn.mobotracking.com, spaces.slimposts.com, adtrack.king,com, tracking.applift.com, play.worldbestgames.com, and on redirect several more urls that include "tapit" and "ads" in the name that go too quickly for me to type.
Strange, nobody else has been reporting this problem within the past few days, and quite a few people use iPhones to browse the forums. If this was an issue on our end, I would think there would be other users complaining about it too.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
What devices are you all using?

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
Also, to anybody experiencing redirects or malicious ads on their mobile phones, feel free to go into your user control panel, the options section, and enable the mobile view.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Durr, forgot that was even a thing. Gonna be weird to get used to.
It's still a work in progress, but I think you will like it.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
For example, currently I haven't put ANY ad code in it so far!

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

net cafe scandal posted:

Please resolve my bad Dad problem :(
I will be your honorary internet dad.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

Mobile view kills the ads but it's big like duplo blocks and I don't like it b/c there's no thread tags and i have to scroll a lot more per page.
:qqsay:
Once I complete mobile functionality, I will be taking feedback / suggestions on things to change or add or remove. I was just trying to give you an option to view the site without having to worry about redirects.

Speaking of, I just got done contacting Rubicon and they are (again) looking into it and will be blacklisting as much as they can.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

zen death robot posted:

I use the app :troll:

I use the website on my tablet though.
I use you to solve an endless list of technical issues :troll:

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
Okay, just added a ton of advertisers to the black list. Please let me know if any bad ad poo poo starts happening again.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Gonz posted:

Got this almost a dozen times throughout the day:

http://mobfree.click/xhm/NTY2YjNhODBiZDQyNzA0NDMxNjc2Mg==

Using Safari on an iPhone 6 Plus with the latest iOS update.
God loving dammit, okay, looking into it now. I'm sorry for all this.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
What the hell

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Bad Munki posted:

Latest iOS on a 6s, just got this instead of the LP I was going for: http://mobfree.click/ena/NTY2YzJhMTk1YTIyZDgxNjYwOTYxNA==
Awesome. This is excellent and makes me happy. I just emailed Rubicon and I'm going to be removing their ads from rotation shortly.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

And this
http://protection.com-system-mobile.com

E: apparently via http://play.worldbesttraffic.com

I get a new one every time I post. Does it help to post these or should I stop?
Yes, please let me know about all of them. What OS / device are you using?

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
Holy poo poo I think I figured a way around this bullshit, I'm excited.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
Okay, in DFP I have set up separate zones for mobile ads and desktop ads. The mobile ads, if cannot be filled by AdX, defaults to Rubicon where I have set up a new ad unit that is 320x100 and is served in a secure iframe. So if I have actually gotten this poo poo working correctly, the dimensions of the top and bottom 728x90 banners should change to 320x100 when they're being filled by Rubicon, and their contents should be contained by the iframe, preventing any takeovers or redirects. It might take a few minutes for the changes to go live, but I'd appreciate it if anybody on a mobile device can tell me if they are seeing a differently sized top and bottom ad now, because if you are, that should mean that you're viewing a Rubicon ad and there should be none of that bullshit going on.

Again, sorry about this crap, I've been trying to get it resolved directly through Rubicon reps because I assumed they could fix it quicker than I could. I'm obviously not 100% sure this is going to work, but hopefully it will.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
Actually I'm changing it from a secure iframe to a secure js ad, since iframes can conceivably cause issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Darth123123 posted:

Sometimes I wonder if charging a sustainable reg fee, versus spending weekends and nights chasing bad ads is worth the .05/page load is worth it.
I seriously do not like the concept of monthly fees.