Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

A storm over Europe unleashed
Dawn of war a trail of destruction
The power of Rome won't prevail
See the Catholics shiver and shake
http://store.steampowered.com/app/376310/

Any Goons going to play this game? It came out of early release on steam today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I was going to give it a shot but apparently it's a traditional questing MMO and I'm burnt out on those pretty much forever. I hope it's successful though, because it looks more in line with what I thought Skyforge was going to be.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
it looks pretty but whats the gimmick

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

A storm over Europe unleashed
Dawn of war a trail of destruction
The power of Rome won't prevail
See the Catholics shiver and shake

Eonwe posted:

it looks pretty but whats the gimmick

From some reviews I seen, there might be a lot of mirco transaction skins. This game is going to be skin based over what your gear looks like. Also the game might have a lot of paid DLC.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
yea but I mean what do you do in game for the endgame and stuff

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Been following this game for quite a while.

Original studio (RealU) no longer exists and is not developing the game. Long and short of it is a serious lack of content and a hackneyed clunky combat system. Still uses Unreal Engine 3! They tried to tart it up to be sort of like tera's action combat but it's not nearly that smooth or fast.

Gimmick is a Cyberpunk aesthetic but actually you get transported to different worlds and turns out most of them are just medieval fantasy.

It was a fairly pretty game back when it originally was being developed in 2009.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
So, read the books in stead then?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
If its free, ill try it out.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Read the books instead.

I follow Tad Williams's wife on Twitter, and the last week's been pretty awkward watching her gush over this thing. I think I even cringed when she posted triumphantly about the server crashing the other day.

Mazreal
Oct 5, 2002

adjusts monocle

Bieeardo posted:

I follow Tad Williams's wife on Twitter,

weird poo poo man

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I love the book series but man, what a weird thing.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Extra posted:

Gimmick is a Cyberpunk aesthetic but actually you get transported to different worlds and turns out most of them are just medieval fantasy.

This must be why I couldn't get a coherent idea of what it's like from the screenshots.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Mazreal posted:

weird poo poo man

She followed me first. It's like tag, but with touchbacks, and infinitely nerdier.

"Just look at this screenshot."

https://twitter.com/MrsTad/status/643441835239604224

I'm looking, but gently caress if I know what it's trying to tell me. This is somehow less coherent than a GW2 battle scene.

Bieeanshee fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Sep 14, 2015

Remb
Feb 2, 2014

It looks nice, but the combat is bad - unplayably bad. Just play Skyforge

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

This post is brought to you by Molten Boron.
Nobody doesn't like Molten Boron!.
Lipstick Apathy
What's fun is the huge lag spikes, which are hard to quantify as the latency widget locks up after about 5 minutes, and stays that way until the server restarts. The Asia server isnt too bad, but apparently it's not getting patched like EU/US...

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Remb posted:

the combat is bad - unplayably bad

We told them this back like... 3 years ago? In one of the first testing phases. Guess it got ignored.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

oTHi posted:

The Asia server isnt too bad, but apparently it's not getting patched like EU/US...

I can't find anything to back this up, and I really hope that's not the case because I'm going to be really stupid with my money and probably buy this regardless :australia:

It's been well over a year since ESO so I need to regret another MMO purchase...

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Every patch notification they literally say "EU Server first, followed by US after verification.". I have not seen any mention of Asia at all, so one can only assume.

e: Also, when EU/US were down for 7 hours for patching, Asia was happily running like normal.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
I'll wishfully think that this is because they aren't patched at the same time, or something.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
I can't believe someone actually made an MMO about that series - Which was really good, actually! Highly suggested as well as agreeing with others about it.

BUT, really what are we looking at? From the screenshots it doesn't seem to have any connection to the series and is just a standard knock-off mmo that will disappear within the year.

And the videos don't seem to give a very good impression of the game either.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
I've spent the last hour watching videos of the game on Youtube and I've been thoroughly put off from buying it at least for now, if not giving up on it altogether.

It just looks so tedious, and the writing ... you'd never suspect it was based on a successful book series.

If the concept and the look of the game weren't so inviting I could easily just walk away, but I'll dutifully leave it in my wishlist and keep an eye on it until it inevitably shuts down or improves, but based on what I can watch now, I can definitely resist my initial plan to pick it up just because it's got a launch discount.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
Edit: wrong thread

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Sep 16, 2015

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.
According to Tad, this was going to be effectively the next book in the story. I don't know if that's still a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
If that's really the case, then holy poo poo, RIP. The main characters stand around being ~mysterious~ (and completely useless, leaving saving everyone up to the level 1 main character). I know that's par for the course in an MMO, but with such a rich tapestry of lore, and character development, it falls a bit flat.

• Locked thread