Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

"ProRugby.org posted:

ABOUT THE LEAGUE

The Professional Rugby Organization (PRO) is a professional sports league comprised of the five rugby union teams located in North America, and is the first competition to be sanctioned by USA Rugby and World Rugby. Our mission is to grow the game and provide opportunities for players to train and compete in a full-time, high-performance environment. We are committed to the unique ethos and core values of the game: integrity, passion, respect and teamwork.

The teams:
    Denver
    Ohio
    Sacramento
    San Diego
    San Francisco

Notable Players:
    Timana Tahu to play for Denver
    Pedrie Wannenburg to Denver
    Jamie Mackintosh to play for Ohio
    Filippo Ferrarini to play for Ohio
    Mirco Bergamasco will be playing for Sacramento
    Josh Inong to play for Sacramento (who? story)
    Phil Mackenzie, proudly signing with San Diego
    Mils Muliaina who will play for San Francisco
    Orene Ai’i, to play for San Francisco

So that's a total of 8 guys that anyone's ever heard of, who's going to fill the rest of 5 teams? Well... They held combines and stole the best players from the club system that would sign. See, PRO Rugby’s contracts are broken into tiers. Tier 1 domestic players make $35,000 a year, and Tier 2 players make $20,000. Tier 3 players are paid only for games in which they appear. The two guys from my club that signed are Tier 2, and tell me that their $20,000 is payable over 12 months. Even Tier 1 players are only making $2,916.66 per month for a full-time training commitment. Obviously not all of the best players in the US were willing. I would imagine that the Notable Players (except Inong) have deals that are not part of the Tier system.

Less-Notable Players:
    Denver: Ben Landry (Seattle Saracens/USA); Zach Fenoglio (Glendale Raptors/USA); Brendan Rams (Austin Blacks); Jake Turnbull (Eastern Suburbs Rugby Club); Hanco Germishuys (Glendale Raptors/USA); Chris Baumann (Austin Blacks/USA); Chad London (Glendale Raptors/USA); Ben Tarr (Souths Rugby Union/USA); Niku Kruger (Glendale Raptors/USA); Gannon Moore (KC Blues); Bobby Impson (Denver Barbarians); Pedrie Wannenburg (Oyonnax/South Africa); Ata Malifa (Denver Barbarians/USA); Michael Garrity (Seattle Saracens/USA); Dustin Croy (Glendale Raptors); Will Magie (Barnes); Soane Leger (Denver Barbarians); Luke White (Glendale Raptors); Casey Rock (Glendale Raptors); Michael Al- Jiboori (Denver Barbarians) ; Zac Pauga (Glendale Raptors); Justin Pauga (Denver Barbarians)

Ohio: Pierce Dargan (Clontarf Rugby Club); Alex Elkins (Columbus/1823); Spike Davis(Columbus/1823); Peter Malcolm (Wheeling Jesuit); Roland Suniula (ASRC Chalon/USA); Dylan Fawsitt (Life University); Ahmad Harajly (Detroit Tradesmen RFC/USA 7s); Matt Hughston (Charlotte); Chris Kunkel; (Richmond FC (UK)); Allan Hanson; (Wheeling Jesuit); Taylor Howden; (Columbus Rugby Club); Cam Falcon; (New Orleans Rugby Club); JP Eloff; (Chicago Lions/USA); Shaun Davies; (Life University/USA); Chris Saint; (Potomac Exiles); Nick Civetta; (I Medicei Rugby Firenze); Justin Allen; (Chinnor RFC) ; Angus MacLellan; (Chicago Lions/USA); Chad Joseph (Dallas RFC); Robbie Shaw; (Hartpury RFC/USA); Zac Mizell; (Austin Rugby Club/USA 7s); Anthony Parry; (Columbus Rugby Club)

Sacramento: Kyle Sumsion (BYU/USA); Lagakali Tavake (Sacramento Blackhawks); Joeli Tikoisuva (Metropolis RFC); Oliver Kilifi (Seattle Saracens/USA); Sione Sina (Cal); Val Lee-Lo (Seattle Saracens); Jope Motokana (Seattle Saracens); Toke Kefu (Sacramento Blackhawks); Joshua Holland (San Francisco Golden Gate); Ryan Koewler (Sacramento Capitals); John Quill (Dolphin RFC/USA); Mirco Bergamasco (Zebre/Italy); Josh Inong (Santa Rosa); Fatai Vailala (EPA Razorbacks); James Reddey (Sacramento Blackhawks); Harry Bennett (Santa Monica); Garrett Brewer (St. Mary’s) ; Robert Meeson (Santa Rosa); Rashad Harbor (Dallas Reds); Ryan Thompson (Tempe Rugby Club); Nemia Qoro (Life West); Alipate Takiveikata (Metropolis RFC)

San Diego: Joe Taufete’e (Belmont Shore/USA); Epeli Kalemani (Santa Monica); Kalei Konrad (OMBAC); Tom Bliss (Wasps/USA); Jabari Zuberi (Santa Monica); Nikola Bursic (Craighouse Old Boys/Chile); Charlie Purdon (Santa Monica); Pono Haitsuka (Mystic River/USA 7s) ; Ryan Matyas (Old Blue/USA); Sam Taungakava (Seattle Saracens); Mikey Te’o (Belmont Shore/USA); Taku Ngwenya (Biarritz Olympique/USA); Tim Stanfill (Seattle Saracens/USA); Michelangelo Sosene-Feagai (Hawkes Bay Magpies/USA); Phil Mackenzie (Sale/Canada); Kurt Morath (Tonga)

San Francisco: Kingsley McGowan (St. Mary’s/USA); Dominic Lolohea (Life West); Devereaux Ferris (Life West); Michael Haley (Olympic Club); Jacob Finau (Life West); Siaosi Mahoni (EPA Bulldogs); John Colvill (Life West); Sam Finau (Auckland University); Martini Talapusi (Belfast Rugby Club (NZ)); John O’Hara (Santa Clara University); Tom Coolican (Sydney Stars/USA); David Tameilau (Life West/USA); Michael Reid (Spotwood United); Jacob Finau (Life West); Orene Ai’I (Life West/NZ 7s); Codi Jones (Cal Maritime); Maka Tameilau (Life West); Patrick Latu (San Francisco Golden Gate)
There are actually more Eagles on these lists than I thought, and Nikola Bursic appeared for Chile against Canada this spring.

More effort posting to come, if there is any indication anyone cares.

Stitecin fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Mar 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

Vaders Jester posted:

The West Coast of the US had a pretty strong rugby culture back in the early 1900s apparently. Before the All Blacks made them all sad. http://en.espn.co.uk/newzealand/rugby/story/204045.html

The west coast still has rugby culture. Go to the USA Rugby club finder and search for the 200 closest clubs to 95403 (the zipcode for Santa Rosa Rugby Club, the club I play for) and you'll see that are a lot of people playing rugby.

I don't know why there haven't been any east coast teams added to the league, because if you go to the search for New York or wherever on that coast you will find clubs there too. If there's a second season I assume they'll be working hard to add a club over there.

edit: From the November 9, 2015 announcement of the leage: "Exclusively sanctioned by USA Rugby and World Rugby, competition will begin in April 2016 with six teams in major metropolitan areas in the Northeast, the Rocky Mountains and California." I guess the Northeast club didn't pan out, leaving 5.

Stitecin fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Mar 31, 2016

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis
I agree, I'd love to see the US start to assert ourselves at the test level. It just seems like we're pushing against so many other sports, and we really don't have the club sports system in place. My club was established in 1971 and we have by far the nicest home pitch in the Northern California Rugby Football Union but no "club" facility. We don't have a shed for our scrum machine, much less a locker room/weight room/bar.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

Stitecin posted:

Pro Rugby USA effort post update

More effort posting to come, if there is any indication anyone cares.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

Vagabundo posted:

Eddie Jones has called up players to a training camp in preparation for the one-off test against Wales and the 3-test tour of Australia. Players from the Saracens, Exeter, Wasps and Leicester were excluded due to their place in the Premiership play-offs.

Props
Joe Marler (Harlequins)

Not sure what Marler is doing there, as he was poo poo at the World Cup and poo poo in the 6 Nations. His discipline has appeared to have collapsed as well.

Well, he's out: Marler withdraws from England squad/

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

Apollodorus posted:

...here is last year's USA Division III championship game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqiGsrhkRHY&t=1138s

(This is the level I myself play at, though these teams represent the best at that division and my own club is mid-tier nationally.)

I think Wisconsin knocked my club out of the Division II championship in 2012. We moved up to Division I, so I'm surprised to see them in D III.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

Apollodorus posted:

There were some former Rugby Super League clubs playing in DIII a few years ago, or even now, so it seems like boom-and-bust cycles are not uncommon for clubs. Especially not in the rugby wasteland that is America.

The Super League clubs often run teams in multiple divisions. We played San Francisco Golden Gate's D II club every year until we both moved up to D I, they're able to field a PRP side, plus a D I A side and most of a B side, plus a D III side at different locations on the same day. (They've always been kind of assholes about bringing tons of guys from their PRP squad on to play for the D I side against us if there wan't a PRP match because our clubs have a fairly intense rivalry.)

I don't think Wisconsin has that kind of depth. Knowing what I know about rugby in the upper midwest, there's a good chance that their roster is largely the same guys and having gotten 5 years older it makes sense that they've moved down given how much families cut into rugby time, and you know getting older.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

HappyCamperGL posted:

Glasgow have apparently signed some yank called Langilangi Haupeakui. Anyone who watched the PRO rugby know if he is any good?

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby-union/glasgow-warriors/glasgow-sign-human-locomotive-langilangi-haupeakui-1-4235641

I played against him when he was with the EPA Razorbacks. He was a standout in Division 1 amateur rugby.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

The Rabbi T. White posted:

Consensus on Coles' non-try? I was at an RSA and the diggers were calling loudly for blood, but I don't know the letter of the law there.

Did Coles face sanction for shoving whichever Wallaby it was that turned over the ball to start that motion's face into the turf?

Edit: It was the Wallaby #6.

I just got around to watching the game and can't find mention of punishment anywhere. I guess a better question is where should I search for Disciplinary Board decisions?

Stitecin fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Oct 27, 2016

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

Mister Chief posted:

First mention of that I've heard.

It's right at the 71 minute mark, so I guess it was the Coles try that was. The commentators laugh about it on replay a few minutes later. I will try to link a video when I'm not phone posting.

Edit: Skip to 1:37:30.

It's kind of a fair non-call after Hooper planted Coles a few minutes earlier after he offloaded during the second Savea try.

My question about where to look up World Rugby Disciplinary Board decisions remains.

Stitecin fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Oct 27, 2016

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis
I also wear Canterbury, but they're midrise and I put all 9 studs in due to being a slow second rower who plays on soft turf.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis
I started a long effort post, but I started it on my phone so it's lost. Click here and scroll down until you can click on the players names for their profiles.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis
Apollodorus and Itoje sittin' in a tree K-I-S-S-I-N-G!

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis
League 9's is a thing?

The first time I lived in Australia a coworker tried to get me into League. I hadn't ever seen Union, AFL, or League (or cricket, or netball, or competetive sheep herding) so I tried to learn them all. I thought then, and still do that League is the worst stuff about NFL mixed with the worst parts of Union. I can't imagine having fewer people makes it any less unwatchable.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

Stitecin posted:

I also wear Canterbury, but they're midrise and I put all 9 studs in due to being a slow second rower who plays on soft turf.

We pushed the scrum machine in deep soft mud today and these new boots kept my feet dry and I had the best traction of the pack. 5/5, would buy again.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis
I have been watching the Eagles in the Americas Rugby Championship. What can I say, it's fun to watch them win?

The best part of watching has to be Chris Baumann's mustache and mullet. There's no way there's a finer Kentucky Waterfall in international rugby than his.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

BabyFur Denny posted:

and that's probably also the entirety of US accomplishments in international rugby.

Yes, well I suppose that's good for everyone else.

There are nearly 320 million of us, and we still have the biggest economy in the world (for now) so if we suddenly started to collectively care I'm fairly certain we'd have a good chance of dominating within a generation. Even if we couldn't we'd just start a pro league and pay all the world's best players to come here like we do in baseball, basketball, and hockey; then we'd declare whichever team wins our championship the World's Champion.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis
Langilangi Haupeakui is back playing in California for Golden Gate I guess. I was clicking through match photos from my club's game against them this weekend and saw this one. I didn't make the trip, but Golden Gate beat us badly (68-7). We'll be dropping back to the second division next season.

edit: The rest of the album can be found here if you want to see what amateur rugby looks like in Northern California.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Stitecin fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Feb 27, 2017

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis
I introduced my Brazilian brother in law to rugby last night. He sat down with me while I watched Canada be upset by Brazil. There couldn't have been a better game to introduce him with, Brazil scored a 79th minute try to win.

The game could catch on down here, but they need some really good commentary and possibly some on screen graphics to explain the rules. I think the reason NFL spreads so easily is it has ages between the action for the commentary to explain what just happened and what may happen next. With rugby if there's a penalty or it goes to touch and they go quick the casual viewer has no idea what made the game stop.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

redknob posted:

If anyone wanted to watch some minnows playing: http://www.rugbyeurope.eu/welcome-rugby-europe-tv

Turned on the Austria vs. Serbia game and was disappointed that Austria wasn't in their lederhosen kit.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

thegasman2000 posted:

Played yesterday and the ref had a shocker. At our level the refs are paid something like £20 a game so we don't expect much but... we had a second row binned for a high tackle on their 9. Size mismatch mainly but fair enough. Then their 15 clotheslined our winger who was on to score and no card as their team hadn't been warned yet in the game. I nearly lost it! As a coach of kids safety is always paramount and the ref has a duty of care for the players and it made my blood boil.

No reason to post other than to rant and get it off my chest.

Does that kind of stuff get sorted out later over there? I mean like does everyone remember to look for that fullback at the back of a ruck and put the boots on him? You have to be a pretty flagrant rear end in a top hat to get walked on here in California, but for a clothesline that isn't called I'd expect someone to pay it back.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis
"Christ, what an rear end in a top hat."

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis
In other third tier nation news, Brazil beat Chile in Chile. A few years ago that would have been a shocking upset, but Brazil has really improved.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis
I was watching highlights of the USA vs Chile match and they were making a big deal about Paul Lasike having been an NFL player. I was stoked, imagining a few NFL caliber athletes on the pitch making us a competitive tier 2 nation. Then since I haven't watched a NFL game in 5 years I looked up Lasike and found he's Auckland born and raised and had played D1 college rugby for BYU. gently caress, no code conversion trend starting after all.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

Stitecin posted:

In other third tier nation news, Brazil beat Chile in Chile. A few years ago that would have been a shocking upset, but Brazil has really improved.

JK, Brazil still sucks at rugby. They got pumped 45-5 by Canada. Chile is 0-3 with a -79 cumulative points differential, and Brazil are second worst at 1-2 with -47 points differential.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

lenoon posted:

Wouldn’t having to play for 80 50 minutes and take hits without a helmet pretty much destroy the remaining brain cells of pro American football players?

I think learning to take hits without a helmet would preserve their remaining brain cells. As for playing 50 minutes, you can say what you want about the game but pro American Football players are amazing athletes and if they trained for rugby they'd be fine. Besides, one of the most fundamental rugby skills is learning when you can rest... like backs during lineouts, mauls, scrums, phases to the opposite side of the formation, rucks that aren't composed of a single wing or the full back, etc..

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

HappyCamperGL posted:

Attn yank rugby likers:

Glasgow have been linked with David Tameilau. He any good?

He has been. I haven't watched a single minute of the Americas Rugby Championship so haven't seen him play in 9 months, but yeah probably still good.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis
After having neither trained or played for about 11 months I joined in an Old Boy's (35+ years old) match last Saturday. The other team was from San Jose, which is a good 2-3 hours drive depending on traffic in Oakland and as such needed a couple of guys from our team and a few of their A-side backups to fill the squad. We won by a converted try, but the most important take away from the whole thing is that there is no better feeling in the sporting world than wrecking a ruck to create a steal. I love props who think that weighing 275 pounds and sort of crouching over the tackled man is enough to secure the ball.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

Soulex posted:

1. How many times does the team get to score a try?
  2. How many times can they go down?
  3. Why do they keep kicking it out of bounds?
  4. What does a scrum do?
  5. Why can't the other team just go grab (the ball)?
  6. I'm curious on how my photos are to people who follow the sport. I am totally unfamiliar with the sport and may get some shots wrong. Can I get some feedback from you?

I am an American who learned the game in my 30s so I will answer too.
  1. A try is when you touch the ball to the ground in the "end zone" (try zone in rugby). Do it as often as you can manage, they're worth 5 points.

If you thought it meant a try at kicking a "field" goal, you are on to something and you can kick at the uprights whenever you want, but you only get to use a tee as one of your options after the other team commits a penalty. Those kicks are worth 3 either way. You can also use a tee after a try to kick a "point after" but those are worth 2.
  2. Covered above.
  3. Covered above, but I'll simplify. In rugby it often makes sense to trade possession for position. They get pinned in their own end and just hoof it further from where the other team needs to be to score points.

Kick-tennis is boring but it does lead to line outs which are how the game gets restarted. You're going to struggle with knowing which team is going to throw it back in, but for a photographer who doesn't care who wins it doesn't matter.
  4. Covered above.
  5. Do you mean when a guy is running with it? Because in that case it's like asking why not strip running backs? Go ahead and try. If you mean after a tackle, it's covered by Aramoro above.
  6. Photos of contact are fun, but they can get boring fast. I like the second one with the Gold 12 off loading, and the third of the black lock(?) being a pain in the rear end in the middle of the maul. Probably check the Sports Photos thread in Dork Room for more constructive criticism.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

Madkal posted:

The springboks Jersey is all kinds of hideous.

That stripe should really accentuate props boring in.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis
Went to a tight five 7s tournament this morning.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis
I can't figure out how to edit the previous post without removing the image, so sorry for double posting. Fatty 7s is so fun to watch, it's 7s so the field is wide open but no one can resist committing two guys minimum to the ruck so there's the tackled man, the "scrum half", and two guys from each team at every breakdown. The three guys not in it form a pod and crash straight into the line. Glorious!

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

tarbrush posted:

Is that sevens for props and second rows or something?

Cause that sounds amazing

Exactly. Minimum weight 225 pounds (102ish kg).

Edit: The guy in the photo below with no jersey is the referee.

Stitecin fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Aug 3, 2019

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis
Athletes.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis
Oh it's 100% amateur. I think it's a fundraiser for a charity founded by a rugby player. I don't know for sure.

There's also a female bracket. I don't know what the minimum weight is for them, but they're super fun to watch. A team put a chick into space with nothing between her an the try line except the ball in her hand an 40 meters of flat green turf. She made it about 30 and passed to her support who was totally covered and then took a knee to catch her breath. The recipient was tackled and turned over the ball and two phases later the other team dotted down under the sticks.

Edit: I found the website: https://www.tight5sevens.com/ and I was wrong about the minimum weight thing. "Everyone is welcome to play at Tight 5 Sevens the tournamnet HOWEVER this tournament is decided by teams Hanicap Score which you calculate with the formula for MEN, (AGE-31) + (WEIGHT-224) = YOUR HANDICAP SCORE and for LADIES (AGE-31)+(WEIGHT-182) = HANDICAP SCORE."

Stitecin fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Aug 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

HappyCamperGL posted:

DTH is a god among men. That's all you need to know about Canada.

Also that photo of a tiny female athletic trainer stretching a prop and the prospective makes her look like a toddler.