Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
There are a bunch of lists online that rate the intelligence of dog breeds based on how quickly they learn new commands. This seems kind of strange in and of itself because how do you know if you have a dumb dog vs a stubborn but smart dog.

Anyways, what is the dumbest dog breed, in the truly stupid sense?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
your mother.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

thats very sexist of you

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
There is no need for hurt feelings. Just because a dog is very, very stupid does not mean that it is a bad dog

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

thats very sexist of you

woah I'm not the one going around assuming everyone's mother is female.

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

oh, have I got some GREAT news for you!

My moms mini dachshund is pretty dumb but I could be wrong about them in general, I dunno

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

probably pugs

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

The Goatfather posted:

probably pugs

Hmm, you may be on to something

http://youtu.be/hGFCg5dFFj8

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

OP is a bitch so, OP.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

OP is a bitch so, OP.

That's not very nice. Please, only civil behavior in the stupid dogs thread

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

that dog doesn't seem very dense.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Having been around one I would say a Miniature Bull Terrier.

Lycaeon
Feb 20, 2013

A closed door is a closed mind.
I think generally the smaller the dog the more stupid it is.

Goddamn inbreeding and artificial selection "because we can and I want a dog that's the size of my purse" has resulted in multiple miniature travesties of nature that are completely helpless without their doting human owner.

This is why I like cats. Most of them are perfectly capable of surviving on their own and we didn't mess with them nearly as much because they're already cute and adorable sized (And can kill rats regardless).

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

Bassets. Basically rocks on legs.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

I have a mini dachshund and she is moderately stupid but very sweet and she loves to play fetch and soccer, and a beagle who is moderately smart but misbehaves and wanders off tracking smells a lot. The beagle can pick up new commands quickly but she is often distracted by the presence of treats when I am trying to teach her something.

Smart dogs I have met include (omg danger dog) pit bulls, GSDs, standard poodles and labs.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

The smartest dog at my house is Cheech, and he is a cat that plays fetch and is mentor to foster kittens. He is really good at teaching foster kittens how to cat.

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008
My dad's labrador went through six lessons of basic obedience training and still does not know the down command. The trainer tried multiple methods, called in his mentor, tried every kind of luring, I worked with trying to catch him laying down and give the command/treat, nothing. He also broke the screen door more than once by running into it full speed. He also doesn't understand the concept of fetch, something I thought was hard wired into their little brains.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Beagles. I have never met an intelligent beagle.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Beagles. I have never met an intelligent beagle.

beagles are really smart just not in any of the ways that you want them to be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ym0rxisOpw

fetch though? i guarantee that this dog will never fetch anything in its life

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

Learning Disabilities: Cat Edition
<===this cat

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
My mom's pomeranian is the goddamn dumbest creature I have ever had the misfortune of being in the same room with so probably that.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

My dog is half lab half golden and she eats bees. She has been stung a few times and even had her nose swell up, but no amount of yelling at her (or stinging apparently) has made her stop. The dumb rear end actually hunts bees. She waits by the flowers and when one flies away, she is on it.

She is also known for sitting 20 feet away from a squirrel without noticing it, and she really loves chasing squirrels.

She knows how to roll over but gets so excited about a possible treat that she forgets to lay down and just spins in circles.

She is simultaneously the dumbest and best dog.

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

HungryMedusa posted:

My dog is half lab half golden and she eats bees. She has been stung a few times and even had her nose swell up, but no amount of yelling at her (or stinging apparently) has made her stop.

Um, obviously she's smarter than you because be venom is very good for you or something!

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
I think my dog may be stupid because he won't stop barking at the toilet

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

The Big Whoop posted:

Um, obviously she's smarter than you because be venom is very good for you or something!

You might be on to something. My husband got himself stung by a bee today and he seems fine. I am eating the next bee I see, for science.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

I think my dog may be stupid because he won't stop barking at the toilet

I would never be able to deal with that :smith:

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Not sure this counts, because the really stupid one is the breeder, but who wants to buy an x-thousand dollar dog who lives for 3 years tops? Stupidity everywhere.

https://www.facebook.com/Toadline

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
The answer is Afghan Hounds, according to that dog scientist guy who measured the dog smartnesses.

Evidently they're the dumbest.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The Goatfather posted:

beagles are really smart just not in any of the ways that you want them to be

Beagles are noses with a vestigial dog on the end, in my experience. I agree with the assessment that they're smart in all the wrong ways.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Aramek posted:

The answer is Afghan Hounds, according to that dog scientist guy who measured the dog smartnesses.

I forgot about these abominations - a guy in my old neighborhood had one. It's tail made me ill.

Erethizon_dorsatum
Nov 14, 2009
I don't have much experience with them, but I've heard anecdotes about cocker spaniels being pretty dumb.

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

Pugs.

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

Aramek posted:

That guy basically measured their intelligence on biddability (it wasn't solving puzzles or anything, it was seeing how fast they learned new tricks). An Afgan is a sighthound, so it doesn't want to listen to whatever those STUPID HUMAN HANDLERS HAVE TO SAY. It just wants to run around and catch some buns, hon.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

HungryMedusa posted:

Not sure this counts, because the really stupid one is the breeder, but who wants to buy an x-thousand dollar dog who lives for 3 years tops? Stupidity everywhere.

What are these things and why does this organization claim it's also a dog rescue?

I'd say that English bulldogs are among the stupidest, but I'm not sure these guys even intake enough oxygen to think about anything.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

The Big Whoop posted:

That guy basically measured their intelligence on biddability (it wasn't solving puzzles or anything, it was seeing how fast they learned new tricks). An Afgan is a sighthound, so it doesn't want to listen to whatever those STUPID HUMAN HANDLERS HAVE TO SAY. It just wants to run around and catch some buns, hon.

If it makes you feel better, they look pretty and like a shampoo commercial. I heard they're very loving and cuddly dogs.

Brick Shipment
Jun 22, 2009

HungryMedusa posted:

Haha their website is a Tapout shirt
http://www.toadline.com/

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

quote:

what is the dumbest dog
Humens

Woah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PartyCrown
Dec 31, 2007

Aramek posted:

If it makes you feel better, they look pretty and like a shampoo commercial. I heard they're very loving and cuddly dogs.

I dogsit one named Luna from time to time. She's absolutely ridiculous and incredibly sweet.
She also looks like a muppet.

• Locked thread