Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008
I'm in the hospital and have been struggling with the fluid restriction of 1.2 liters my doctors have me on. The reason for the restriction is that I have a lot of excess fluid in my body, so they're limiting my intake to make sure I'm putting out more than what I'm putting in. Has anyone else here dealt with this before? I feel constantly thirsty because of this and I usually drink about a gallon of water a day at home. Any tips on coping with the thirst or reducing the level of thirst I feel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Gum? Fresh mint? Jello? Fresh fruit (melon, cantaloupe, etc), veggies (cucumber)?

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
I would say don't eat much sodium, but you're probably doing that already. I've read in westerns about keeping a pebble in your mouth in the desert, but not sure of that actually works.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

swirl some water in your mouth then spit it out?

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Feel thirsty. Don't drink.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

I don't get why they don't put you on a diuretic and let you drink what you want? That sounds horrible. Tell your doctors this isn't feasible for you maybe?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
since you're in the hospital why don't you try asking a medical professional

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DARPA Dad posted:

I'm in the hospital ... my doctors ...
makes a post on the internet

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008
Yeah they've already said they won't lift the fluid restriction or even change it until I have more of the fluid off. I've been in the hospital now for a week, no poo poo I've already asked every doc that comes in how to cope with this. The most specific advice I got from one was "try sucking on some sour candies" which only made it worse

DARPA Dad fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Sep 12, 2015

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008

Hummingbirds posted:

I don't get why they don't put you on a diuretic and let you drink what you want? That sounds horrible. Tell your doctors this isn't feasible for you maybe?

I'm on several IV diuretics, they just aren't constantly running because they don't want to put any unnecessary stress on my kidneys with a drip feed.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Hummingbirds posted:

I don't get why they don't put you on a diuretic and let you drink what you want?

Because the point of it is to get excess fluid out of him and that's defeated entirely by letting him drink a gallon of water at a time?

Mathematics
Jun 22, 2011
Next time don't drink a gallon of water per day unless you're working in the hot sun. It gets your body used to a level that's unreasonable in many situations (such as this one).

Absolute Lithops
Aug 28, 2011

After one long season
of waiting, after one
long season of wanting
Hard candy that isn't sour? Whatever increases salivation and doesn't contain much water.

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012
Ask for ice chips? It'll probably count towards your daily total but it might be helpful

What is wrong with you besides fluid retention anyway? Because my other suggestion is to just stop obsessing about it and find something else to occupy your mind. Put the TV on the Forensic Files marathon that is always on or something

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Orange Sunshine posted:

Feel thirsty. Don't drink.

this

suck it the gently caress up op

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Ithaqua posted:

since you're in the hospital why don't you try asking a medical professional

I second this response.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
Have someone bring you some Lifesafers. I recommend cherry, but you may prefer lime.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
just because they said you can't drink water doesn't mean they said anything about vodka.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
OP the nurse will probably give you a cup of ice chips. You can suck on them one at a time to get some sensation of water in your mouth. If you cheat and drink the water from the ice like a greedy dumb pig then they'll know you're cheating from your urine output and take your ice away. There are a bunch of people who are thirsty in a hospital who aren't allowed to get water so nurses are used to doing this as a way to get them to shut up and as its the one compromise the doctor usually allows them. If they won't allow this for you there's a reason and someone has specifically said "no ice chips for the weird goon guy."

You can also have someone get a pebble from the parking lot or whatever and suck on that to keep your mouth salivating. This is what people in desert countries do when they won't be able to get water for a long time and are tired of feeling thirsty. The nurses will not give you a pebble to suck on because your retard rear end will choke on it and then they'll get blamed, so you'll have to get someone else to fetch you one if you can't go out there and dig through the landscaping on your own. Get one that's about the size of the end of your thumb.

What normal people do in your situation is just HTFU or else they read or play a game on their phone to distract themselves.

Hummingbirds posted:

This is a terrible idea holy lord

Diuretics aren't magic they're (often fairly strong) medicine with a variety of side effects. "I prescribed him lasix so he could drink more" = "please make fun of me and maybe question my right to a medical license." Also if they're trying to blow fluids out of him they probably already have him on diuretics and it's not like you can just give more and more and more of them without causing other huge problems that could maybe even kill the patient.

The doctor comes in and says what's going to work probably. The patient then says "oh noooooo that's way tooo harrrrddd" and the doctor smiles and goes "OK! SURE! I HAVE OTHER OPTIONS!" and then moves to something that basically doesn't work but he can still bill for. << A thing that doesn't always happen and you probably should bring up problems with your treatments to your doctor but you should also tell him that you're interested in getting better so he can tell you no if he has to, because some doctors won't, because holy lord dealing with whiny patients like this.

raton fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Sep 13, 2015

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

photomikey posted:

Gum? Fresh mint? Jello? Fresh fruit (melon, cantaloupe, etc), veggies (cucumber)?

This is possibly not the greatest idea for someone on fluid restriction since the body absorbs a lot of its fluid from food.

Something like Biotene might help, or anything else that makes your mouth/throat not feel so dry.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Suck your own dick OP. It will not count as outside fluids.

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

bunnielab posted:

Suck your own dick OP. It will not count as outside fluids.

:nattyburn:

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
How much molly did you do OP?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Drink your pee. You're not adding anything to the equation this way!

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Why the gently caress were you drinking a gallon of water a day?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Blue Footed Booby posted:

You've obviously never read a self help book or health magazine.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Kimmalah posted:

This is possibly not the greatest idea for someone on fluid restriction since the body absorbs a lot of its fluid from food.

Something like Biotene might help, or anything else that makes your mouth/throat not feel so dry.
He's in a loving hospital, I was assuming he'd run this past the nurse first.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Some people have been turning to water as a soda substitute.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I have end stage renal disease from genetic issues and have been on dialysis for several years (note, not diabetes related, don't start.) As my kidneys are totally non-functioning, I don't pee, and dialysis is the only way fluid comes off. Because of it, I have to severely limit my fluid intake. It's hard as hell. Everyone says try hard candies, but those make you thirstier. I eat small amounts of ice throughout the day as it fools your mouth and throat into feeling more refreshed than you're actually taking in, but it's still fluid. Hell, most fruit is mostly fluid even. You just have to be careful. It's hard as hell, and I'm very bad at it.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Why don't they just pop you like a balloon?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Choco1980 posted:

I have end stage renal disease from genetic issues and have been on dialysis for several years (note, not diabetes related, don't start.) As my kidneys are totally non-functioning, I don't pee, and dialysis is the only way fluid comes off. Because of it, I have to severely limit my fluid intake. It's hard as hell. Everyone says try hard candies, but those make you thirstier. I eat small amounts of ice throughout the day as it fools your mouth and throat into feeling more refreshed than you're actually taking in, but it's still fluid. Hell, most fruit is mostly fluid even. You just have to be careful. It's hard as hell, and I'm very bad at it.

Sucks

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

DARPA Dad posted:

Yeah they've already said they won't lift the fluid restriction or even change it until I have more of the fluid off. I've been in the hospital now for a week, no poo poo I've already asked every doc that comes in how to cope with this. The most specific advice I got from one was "try sucking on some sour candies" which only made it worse

lmao that doctor is an rear end in a top hat

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

So which organ is failing, op?
Wait, saw you post about a vent in another thread. Sounds like some heavy poo poo, goonbatte sempai!

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008

peanut posted:

So which organ is failing, op?
Wait, saw you post about a vent in another thread. Sounds like some heavy poo poo, goonbatte sempai!

I have a paralyzed left diaphragm and very little remaining heart and lung vasculature. I've been trached and on a vent since I was 7. I was born with severe pulmonary hypertension and tetralogy of fallot with massive pulmonary atresia.

I'm out of the hospital now but still on a fluid restriction. They loosened it to about 2.2 liters a day though, which is much more manageable. I still get thirsty like a motherfucker though because I pee out roughly a gallon of fluid a day and I start losing electrolytes and salt and other stuff. Gatorade helps but only until I piss it all out. I've made an appointment to have my diuretics adjusted in the next few days. Hope that helps.

DARPA Dad fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Oct 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Nigga was u flashin

• Locked thread