Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
OP the nurse will probably give you a cup of ice chips. You can suck on them one at a time to get some sensation of water in your mouth. If you cheat and drink the water from the ice like a greedy dumb pig then they'll know you're cheating from your urine output and take your ice away. There are a bunch of people who are thirsty in a hospital who aren't allowed to get water so nurses are used to doing this as a way to get them to shut up and as its the one compromise the doctor usually allows them. If they won't allow this for you there's a reason and someone has specifically said "no ice chips for the weird goon guy."

You can also have someone get a pebble from the parking lot or whatever and suck on that to keep your mouth salivating. This is what people in desert countries do when they won't be able to get water for a long time and are tired of feeling thirsty. The nurses will not give you a pebble to suck on because your retard rear end will choke on it and then they'll get blamed, so you'll have to get someone else to fetch you one if you can't go out there and dig through the landscaping on your own. Get one that's about the size of the end of your thumb.

What normal people do in your situation is just HTFU or else they read or play a game on their phone to distract themselves.

Hummingbirds posted:

I don't get why they don't put you on a diuretic and let you drink what you want? That sounds horrible. Tell your doctors this isn't feasible for you maybe?

This is a terrible idea holy lord

Diuretics aren't magic they're (often fairly strong) medicine with a variety of side effects. "I prescribed him lasix so he could drink more" = "please make fun of me and maybe question my right to a medical license." Also if they're trying to blow fluids out of him they probably already have him on diuretics and it's not like you can just give more and more and more of them without causing other huge problems that could maybe even kill the patient.

The doctor comes in and says what's going to work probably. The patient then says "oh noooooo that's way tooo harrrrddd" and the doctor smiles and goes "OK! SURE! I HAVE OTHER OPTIONS!" and then moves to something that basically doesn't work but he can still bill for. << A thing that doesn't always happen and you probably should bring up problems with your treatments to your doctor but you should also tell him that you're interested in getting better so he can tell you no if he has to, because some doctors won't, because holy lord dealing with whiny patients like this.

raton fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Sep 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Choco1980 posted:

I have end stage renal disease from genetic issues and have been on dialysis for several years (note, not diabetes related, don't start.) As my kidneys are totally non-functioning, I don't pee, and dialysis is the only way fluid comes off. Because of it, I have to severely limit my fluid intake. It's hard as hell. Everyone says try hard candies, but those make you thirstier. I eat small amounts of ice throughout the day as it fools your mouth and throat into feeling more refreshed than you're actually taking in, but it's still fluid. Hell, most fruit is mostly fluid even. You just have to be careful. It's hard as hell, and I'm very bad at it.

Sucks

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Nigga was u flashin

• Locked thread