Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Alaois posted:

that'll happen when the first game is against Youngstown State :v:

Youngstown State put up 38 points on Pitt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

There is a twitter battle going on between Miami(OH) and Cincinnati with their upcoming rivalry game this week

Specifically, between their respective video departments :allears:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Mahoning posted:

Youngstown State put up 38 points on Pitt.

nobody accused Pitt's defense of being good

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

DJExile posted:

There is a twitter battle going on between Miami(OH) and Cincinnati with their upcoming rivalry game this week

Specifically, between their respective video departments :allears:

nerds.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The Notorious ZSB posted:

gently caress if anyone knows why the ACC agreed to let ESPN force a game to Friday nights like half the season. It's loving stupid as hell, and deserving on a not P5 conference at best. VT/NCSU in Oct is a Friday game as well. Friday is for HS football keep your CFB away from it.

I'm really pissed I'll have to watch somewhat meaningful college games on tv instead of a bunch of terrible high school kids on my cable access channel with its retard announcers and terrible cameramen.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
So the Vols defensive leader, LB Curt Maggitt, is out indefinitely for a hip injury. gently caress this whole dumb season already.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Another college football truth: even when things are good, every season is truly the worst season.

Also that Clemson hit looks super nasty, gat dang y'all

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Demon Of The Fall posted:

So the Vols defensive leader, LB Curt Maggitt, is out indefinitely for a hip injury. gently caress this whole dumb season already.

LaDarrell McNeil is cleared to practice today though

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Oklahoma was really lucky in comparison. A few injured refs and they lose that game.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

KKKLIP ART posted:

Also that Clemson hit looks super nasty, gat dang y'all

Little follow-up story on it.

http://www.tigernet.com/update/player/Elliott-Gallmans-comments-bulldozing-defender-20360

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Eastern Michigan sellin' beer, yall!

EMU Athletics posted:

Be sure to get to #TheFactory Saturday, Sept. 19 as EMU Football hosts Ball State at 3 p.m.

BEER will be sold from Ann Arbor Brewing Company on the patio of Rynearson Stadium. 21 and over only, $7 per 16 oz beer, limit two per person. Please have a valid license ready to present upon entry. Beer will not be admitted outside the patio.

Lots and tailgating open at Noon. We celebrate our Hall of Fame inductees at this game, and welcome area High School Bands. TUTG begins at 12:30 p.m. at the Convocation Center.

k3dj
Aug 21, 2015
according to espn we are start the era of the big ten let just hope that never happens

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
espn should stop being biased both for and against the big ten it is very confusing

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

It's the era of Ohio State with special guest: Michigan State. Outside of that it's still laughable.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Iowa will be fine against Pitt. Boyd's a good player but his QB is mediocre and removing Conner is a huge piece of their recipe for success.

If you want a team who might sneak up on someone this year it's NCSU.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Iowa has poo poo itself against far worse teams; I take nothing for granted. When you have been blown out by a Directional Michigan every game is a cause for concern.

k3dj
Aug 21, 2015

MourningView posted:

espn should stop being biased both for and against the big ten it is very confusing

that just the ESPN way next week itll be the big 12 era

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

DJExile posted:

Eastern Michigan sellin' beer, yall!

7 dollars a beer? eh, same as you'd pay in the fancy-rear end Hoboken bar in my town, why the gently caress not

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ann Arbor Brewing Company is supposed to be pretty good stuff too.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

DJExile posted:

It's the era of Ohio State with special guest: Michigan State. Outside of that it's still laughable.

This could be said about most P5 conferences but I'm not even sure if some are that deep this season.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

News: Beathard named Big Ten co-offensive player of the week.

Views: I think he's the real deal. Offensive line did ok against Iowa State but he made a lot of things happen on his own.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Spacebump posted:

This could be said about most P5 conferences but I'm not even sure if some are that deep this season.

Fair point but the gap in the Big Ten between the top team and everyone else may as well be the Grand Canyon. SEC and Big 12 seem to mostly have a collection of good-to-decent teams in comparison to one-another, and the ACC has 3 solid teams in FSU, Clemson and Ga State. The B1G is incredibly lopsided.

E: I would have thought the Big 12 was 2 teams followed by a mess but now Oklahoma's looking a little better than expected.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Sep 14, 2015

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Scrapez posted:

News: Beathard named Big Ten co-offensive player of the week.

Views: I think he's the real deal. Offensive line did ok against Iowa State but he made a lot of things happen on his own.

Additional Views: If you don't pronounce his name like "BEAT HARD" you are lame

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

DJExile posted:

Fair point but the gap in the Big Ten between the top team and everyone else may as well be the Grand Canyon. SEC and Big 12 seem to mostly have a collection of good-to-decent teams in comparison to one-another, and the ACC has 3 solid teams in FSU, Clemson and Ga State. The B1G is incredibly lopsided.

Big Ten does have the two top teams, at least, and one of them is a "name" program. You're right that they have no middle whatsoever. Northwestern? Wisconsin? The rest of the conference is absolute poo poo.

SEC has 1 team that is head and shoulders above the rest this year (remains to be seen if they have a second). They've got a strong middle, and a few dogshit teams.

Big XII has 2 teams that are obviously better than the others, though neither are "name" teams, and one "name" team that could be (Baker Mayfield still sucks). Has 2 dogshit bad teams.

ACC has 3 top teams, though I'd only call one of those a "name" team. Probably has more dogshit teams than SEC does now that Kentucky and Florida are looking middling.

Pac-12 has... 1 top team? I mean, I really don't know what to think about USC and UCLA right now and Oregon was pretty much dominated by MSU. They've got a certain horrid team in Wazzou, and maybe OSU is bad, but 2 dogshit teams in a 12 team conference isn't bad.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah I would have thought the Pac-12 would have been the most stacked conference, top to bottom, but Stanford and Oregon both looked rough out of the gate, then Arizona State seemed to take a step back as well. Balance of power there is still firmly in the P12 South but this is shaking out to be a pretty weird season so far.

Not that I mind weird at all.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Baylor looks like they are worse this season than last and are getting way too much credit. When Lamar stops what used to be one of the best offenses in the country for half a game, you might want to worry a little. The way it's looked so far this season, Baylor is going to have trouble with any competent defense they face. TCU should be considered the best in the Big 12 outright until more games are played.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
People sure seem to be down on Oregon after they lost an away game by 3 to a top 5 team with a quarterback who's been there for a month.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Thermos H Christ posted:

Additional Views: If you don't pronounce his name like "BEAT HARD" you are lame

We frequently have a backfield featuring both Beat Hard and Cox.

I think he's going to be pretty good too though, although we have not exactly faced great defenses yet. His down field accuracy is still a little iffy for my liking but he's a big improvement over what we've had at the position since Stanzi's senior year, and his ceiling is a lot higher than that (particularly if the WRs can ever start getting separation consistently). If nothing else the QB change is definitely looking like the right move so far.

SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery

DJExile posted:

Eastern Michigan winning on the road vs. Wyoming was their first non-conference road win in 27 years. :stare:
Uh, Craig Bohl? You alright there, bud?

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

kayakyakr posted:

Big Ten does have the two top teams, at least, and one of them is a "name" program. You're right that they have no middle whatsoever. Northwestern? Wisconsin? The rest of the conference is absolute poo poo.

SEC has 1 team that is head and shoulders above the rest this year (remains to be seen if they have a second). They've got a strong middle, and a few dogshit teams.

Big XII has 2 teams that are obviously better than the others, though neither are "name" teams, and one "name" team that could be (Baker Mayfield still sucks). Has 2 dogshit bad teams.

ACC has 3 top teams, though I'd only call one of those a "name" team. Probably has more dogshit teams than SEC does now that Kentucky and Florida are looking middling.

Pac-12 has... 1 top team? I mean, I really don't know what to think about USC and UCLA right now and Oregon was pretty much dominated by MSU. They've got a certain horrid team in Wazzou, and maybe OSU is bad, but 2 dogshit teams in a 12 team conference isn't bad.

I think Iowa could be one of those middle of the pack teams in the Big Ten. I know they haven't played tough teams yet but their schedule sets them up pretty well for a decent record. I think they'll be a top 20-25 team throughout the year just like Northwestern and Wisconsin.

But, yeah, it's pretty much Ohio State, Michigan State and then everyone else.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

VDay posted:

People sure seem to be down on Oregon after they lost an away game by 3 to a top 5 team with a quarterback who's been there for a month.

Yeah I might have been a bit harsh. Oregon is still likely going to be a very solid team, but when they give up 42 to an FCS team (a pretty good one, to be fair) and get contained well against Sparty, it's also clear they're not last year's team. They have a pretty manageable schedule from this point on though, and if they win out they're definitely still in playoff contention.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Scrapez posted:

I think Iowa could be one of those middle of the pack teams in the Big Ten. I know they haven't played tough teams yet but their schedule sets them up pretty well for a decent record. I think they'll be a top 20-25 team throughout the year just like Northwestern and Wisconsin.

haha dude they beat Iowa State and a I-AA team, chill out a bit

k3dj
Aug 21, 2015

Scrapez posted:

But, yeah, it's pretty much Ohio State, Michigan State and then everyone else.

unless they beat Wisconsin or northwestern they wont be ranked

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

^^Those will be tough games on the road but even if they lose those two and win the rest after the Northwestern game (Which I think is a possibility), they will be ranked.

MourningView posted:

But I WANT them to be good, OK? :colbert:

If they didn't have the easy schedule, I wouldn't make the prediction that they'd be top 25 but I think that's going to help them a lot. The Big Ten West is god drat terrible.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

MourningView posted:

That's a better schedule so far than multiple teams currently in the top 25.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

k3dj posted:

unless they beat Wisconsin or northwestern they wont be ranked

If the record is gaudy enough they probably will even if in reality it's mostly the product of having a one (or maybe two depending on whether or not you actually think Nortwestern is any good, but, like, dude) game schedule. But that is putting the cart in an entirely different state than the horse. Iowa is still a pretty flawed team that will most likely lose a few they shouldn't and probably win 7ish games again.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Just noticed that ASU had trouble shaking Cal Poly

A&M's season is really gonna follow the exact same arc it did in 2014 huh

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Spacebump posted:

Baylor looks like they are worse this season than last and are getting way too much credit. When Lamar stops what used to be one of the best offenses in the country for half a game, you might want to worry a little. The way it's looked so far this season, Baylor is going to have trouble with any competent defense they face. TCU should be considered the best in the Big 12 outright until more games are played.

TCU's dealing with their own issues, missing a bunch of defensive players to injury so far this year. Big XII could shake out in a bunch of interesting (or uninteresting ways) right now.

VDay posted:

Not really down on Oregon, but they're looking much more mortal than they have in the past few years. That defense is going to let them down in a key moment at some point in their conference schedule.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Spacebump posted:

That's a better schedule so far than multiple teams currently in the top 25.

Sure but it's two games into the season and in most of those cases there are other reasons to suspect those teams are good that do not exist for an Iowa team that won 7 uninspiring games last year and then lost all of their best players on both lines. The rankings this early are literally never based solely on what has happened so far over the course of the season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

DJExile posted:

Yeah I might have been a bit harsh. Oregon is still likely going to be a very solid team, but when they give up 42 to an FCS team (a pretty good one, to be fair) and get contained well against Sparty, it's also clear they're not last year's team. They have a pretty manageable schedule from this point on though, and if they win out they're definitely still in playoff contention.

I watched the game so I agree that Michigan State looked real good, but Oregon put up 30 points and like 430 yards on them and had 26 first downs and people are acting like they lost the game 24-7 and couldn't move the ball or something. It just seems like a weird overreaction considering they had a pretty decent shot at winning the game. Of course they're not the same team as last year, they lost a Heisman winner who threw 4 TD's in his NFL debut. But as a fan of a Pac-12 South team I am still completely terrified of the prospect of having to beat them in the P12CG if we get there.

• Locked thread