Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Let's Beat the Golden Bears

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Well Texas won a game against a bad team and did nothing to convince me they could beat a good team. But I saw a Charlie Strong team play without their foot on the brake in any phase, and it was refreshing as hell. Please Strong, please have the Gary Patterson Defensive Coach Conversion Experience. Rice dominated time of possession and ran it down our throats all game long. We gave up yards and we gave up points and we won anyway because we played aggressive and every unit had game-changing plays. We got a couple explosive plays on offense. Points. We took a punt to the house. Points. We got a couple stops, created some turnovers, and got a defensive TD. Points.

Big 12 football! Texas football!

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Yoshifan823 posted:

There are 127 teams in the NCAA. In terms of offensive yards per game, Texas sits at 126th.

Texas is not going to win another game this year.

The reworked offense with Heard at QB and Norvell calling the plays actually looked halfway decent against Rice (I know, I know). The numbers were kept down because we scored on special teams and defense, which kept our offense off the field, and we also got some killer field position which meant points without a lot of yards. It was 42-14 when we pulled all our starters.

I predict we will beat bad teams and lose to good teams. Which are which is TBD.

Thermos H Christ fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Sep 14, 2015

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

The Human Cow posted:

This was probably my favorite part of the Clemson/App State game Saturday. Wayne Gallman absolutely demolished this dude on his way to the end zone:

The icing on the cake would've been the defender getting ejected for targeting.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Last week I wrote a letter to Texas' President telling him to fire Steve Patterson and now there are reports coming out today that he's looking at doing just that, possibly before the end of the season. If it happens I'm just going to assume it's because I made a very compelling argument.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Scrapez posted:

News: Beathard named Big Ten co-offensive player of the week.

Views: I think he's the real deal. Offensive line did ok against Iowa State but he made a lot of things happen on his own.

Additional Views: If you don't pronounce his name like "BEAT HARD" you are lame

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Short of something like a 2-10 season, there is basically no way Strong gets fired after year two. He may well be going in to a do-or-die third year with his staff still not sorted out, though.

Mack as AD would definitely be an improvement over Patterson, but ideally I would prefer someone who has actually been a college AD before. Still, talk about a night and day difference in terms of understanding how UT politics work and general glad-handing ability. I can't believe we passed on Luck for Patterson against the advice of our search committee. Would've loved to have him here, but that ship has sailed now.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

He had a good OC. Like Watson was incredibly successful at Louisville.

I think the problem for Strong is exactly what I said would doom him when they hired him: he does not have the personality you need to be a coach at Texas. Texas needs basically a guy like Mack who likes to hang out with the boosters and talk tot he media. Strong just wants to coach football and be left alone.

Watson was incredibly successful at eating clock, keeping the defense off the field, not turning the ball over, and scoring enough points to win if the defense played lights-out. He did turn Teddy Bridgewater in to an awesome QB who could run that pro-style/West Coast offense. He gets credit for that. But that philosophy is not going to work in the Big 12. Look at Gary Patterson. There's another defensive-minded coach who had success in a lesser conference before finding himself in the Big 12. He tried to stick to his old ways and led the conference in defense for 2 years while losing a ton of games. Once he abandoned the idea of playing defense on both sides of the ball and started playing Texas-style offense, he suddenly had one of the better teams in the country. The best defense in the Big 12 will never be able to hold the best offenses down, no matter how much you dominate TOP. You must be able to put up a lot of points.

Jerrod Heard is the archetype for the QBs coming out of Texas these days. He will not ever be good at running the WCO. But he can throw quick passes and deep jump balls at WRs in single coverage or pull it down and take off running, and he can do that really, really well. That was our bread and butter back when Texas had an identity on offense and actually had success. That's basically what Vince and Colt were. Ever since Bama broke Mack's brain and we got away from that, it's been bad times. Based on one game against Rice and the scuttlebutt coming out of the program, it sounds like we're looking at getting back to that. If Strong will commit to allowing his offense to play offense instead of being mostly an appendage of the defense, he will do just fine once he gets another class or two in here. But he must decide whether he wants to be Gary Patterson or Will Muschamp.

Thermos H Christ fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Sep 15, 2015

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I am going to give you a spoiler: Charlie Strong won't survive more than more bad season, particularly with a new AD.

I also think your supposition about having to have a "high flying offense" is kind of silly and ignores the success that, you know, Kansas State has had for years and also that, like WVU's offense as ran by Dana "Air Raid" Holgo is basically a clock control offense now.

Kansas State and WVU don't have to pull most of their recruits from Texas

Raku posted:

So the actual next stage of Texas is they get pissed at the Strongs/Muschamps and hire an "offensive guru" as coach, right?

Lanehorns

If it happened today I would be in favor of Morris or Herman with a badass DC

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Strong has said it himself. QBs and skill players from Texas came up playing wide open offense. Recruits here do not want to come play boring cro-magnon ball control offense or memorize 10-lb WCO playbooks when they could go shine at Baylor or TCU or A&M. He cited that as a reason for switching to an alleged uptempo spread offense this year, going so far as to call it a necessity for recruiting. Unfortunately he kept Watson on to install that offense, which worked out about as well as Mack Brown telling Greg Davis to give him Bama's offense.

Thermos H Christ fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Sep 15, 2015

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

You do know that almost every QB that both KState and WVU have recruited came out of Texas? And that, you can have a run-first, ball control offense and still be spread/zone read?

And how many recruiting battles for top Texas QBs are KState and WVU winning against A&M, Baylor, and TCU nowadays? And yes I am aware that Gus Malzahn and Chad Morris exist. What they do is very different from what Watson was doing at Louisville and what he tried to do here last year. I can't even tell what he was trying to do this year.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

vyst posted:

My favorite Patterson is an rear end in a top hat AD move was when he made assistant coaches buy meals in the team cafeteria or some bullshit like that.

Head coaches too, amazingly enough.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Scarf posted:

Texas. Texas never changes.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Supposedly the posters at ShaggyBevo ShaggyTEXAS pulled another plane with a banner stunt at the Rice game saying something about firing Patterson, like they did for Greg Davis several years ago.

There was a banner, but Shaggy was as surprised as everyone else. No idea who was behind it.

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Strong will make a winner out of Texas if they give him time to recover from Mack's awful roster/recruiting management. Or they can hope for the quick fix and sink this ship even further. As though 1 coaching hire will magically fix the void of quality linemen on both sides of the ball.

Yup. Practically everyone making plays on Saturday was a freshman. Get those guys more experience and bring in more like them, things will start looking up. If we have a lovely season (and we will) I think hiring a badass OC is a better move than firing Strong.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Hoo boy

quote:

Fenves met with Patterson Tuesday morning and told him he could accept reassignment within the athletic department, or accept a 1-year buyout of roughly $1.4 million, or possibly face being fired for cause, two sources told HornsDigest.com.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

rebel1608 posted:

I wish I were ever in a position where someone told me "you can leave but we'll give you 1.4 million loving dollars" and I could go "nah thats cool"

Some insane person gave this rear end in a top hat a guaranteed contract for 6 years starting at $1.4m and with annual raises. That was just under 2 years ago. So he's gonna want more like $6m to walk, unless they really do have something they can straight up fire him for. When I think of Steve Patterson I don't think of a guy who passes up an opportunity to get money for the sake of something like dignity.

e: His contract is here (scroll down) and I think they may have a case. He can be fired for cause if he "engages in any fraud or dishonesty while performing [his] duties" (for one thing, he blatantly lied to city officials while addressing them in his official capacity just last week). Also "any conduct... that the President reasonably determines is unbecoming to the Athletics Director, or which reasonably brings in to question the integrity of the athletics director" (I can think of a few things).

Thermos H Christ fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Sep 15, 2015

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

swickles posted:

Texas would be crazy to try and fire for cause, the amount of dirt that would be pulled up during the discovery phase of a wrongful termination lawsuit is more than enough to pay whatever the full amount of his buyout is.

He already tendered his resignation and it was accepted. Former all-conference linebacker and current Houston attorney Mike Perrin has agreed to a serve as the interim AD through August 2016 for $750k. No way does he actually end up serving that long, though. If you'll recall, Dodds said in October 2013 that he was retiring effective August 2014, and he was gone the next month.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
That will never, ever get old. Unlike Jamail.

Thermos H Christ fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Sep 16, 2015

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
God Jamail is just the coolest. I don't even know where to start with quoting amazing poo poo from this article, but this should give you a sense of who we're talking about.

quote:

In depositions, with no judge around, he’s hit attorneys in the face and called countless more witnesses “rear end in a top hat” than just the one who testified against Eubanks. He once took a $675,000 judgment against Sears into the retail chain’s downtown Houston location, commandeered the intercom, and informed employees that he’d just taken over the store.

“The first time I ever laid eyes on Joe Jamail was during a deposition of an eighteen-wheeler driver in Houston,” says Ferguson. “Joe walked in twenty minutes late, sat down between the driver and his own lawyer, and interrupted to ask what kind of truck he’d been driving. It was a Mack truck.Jamail said, ‘Two most overrated things in the world: Mack trucks and teenage pussy.’ ”

:patriot:

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

swickles posted:

I mean, the video is funny, but the more you learn about the guy the more he is just another dick attorney.

Dude. Joe Jamail is not "just another" anything. He is a genius, a virtuoso, a giant, a monster. Unspeakably talented and skilled on a level that could never be taught. Yes, he's also a complete dick, but he is the biggest swinging dick. His dick dragging on the ground carved the Grand Canyon. You might as well say Einstein was just another math nerd.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Raku posted:

Mack Brown apparently not interested in working for Texas again

Mack has never stopped working for Texas. He's getting paid like $500k a year as some kind of donor/alumni relations and fundraising type guy. Office on campus and everything, I'm pretty sure. Wasn't that long ago that Steve Patterson sent him to Dubai as an emissary to promote brand awareness or relationships with rich people or some such.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Has anyone posted this video of Arky fans turning on one another and descending in to violence in the aftermath of the Toledo loss?

https://www.facebook.com/earldeshon.atkins/videos/10154105505963943

Also wow just drop any and all trash on the ground like a animal you pieces of poo poo

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Fun fact: University of Texas Chancellor William McRaven's previous job was as a 4-star Admiral in charge of the US Special Operations Command. He was supposed to do a campus event with the sitting director of the CIA on Tuesday, but he was called away because he needed to review and give final approval to the settlement with Steve Patterson so his "resignation" could be finalized. In other words, the same guy who gave the order to terminate Bin Laden signed the order to terminate Steve Patterson.

Also we have some pretty scary people on campus these days.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
In an article about the fall of Patterson, ESPN wrote that Joe Jamail cut their phone interview short to take a call from Charlie Strong. I do so wonder what that call was about.

Assuming it was real, anyway. Jamail might have just wanted to get off the phone.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Cal's band was pouring out of a bus last night and blocked my entry to a restaurant gently caress Cal go the Texas orange men

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
We lost, we still suck, we are the worst 3rd quarter team ever, but holy poo poo we have a QB.

That was Vince Young poo poo out there tonight.

• Locked thread