Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
google THIS

Manifisto posted:

I've been working on lowering the amount of time my refrigerator door stays open. I've set up a dummy refrigerator, filled with replicas of the items in the real one, so I can plan and practice my movements before taking anything in or out. If I can't shave at least ten percent off my time for the maneuver, I just do without. Occasionally eating cereal without milk is a small price to pay for the kind of energy savings we're talking about here.

pfft, my refrigerator is a glove box with an airlock for exiting food, technically I never open it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Tin Of Beans

you ever use a laptop to cook an egg

beer pal

i set up a little hydroelectric system under my tub faucet. sorry english majors, stem wins again.

https://i.imgur.com/xQxnooW.png

City of Glompton

beer pal posted:

i set up a little hydroelectric system under my tub faucet. sorry english majors, stem wins again.

I don't know what you're talking about, I have a lifetime supply of quality literature with no resale value to burn in my fireplace.

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

weird

by zen death robot
by installing a slide you can save money on running your down escalator

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

City of Glompton

I got my house slide as a refurb unit from the carnival. it only takes three tickets but I bought a wristband because I tend to make a lot of trips between floors.

weird

by zen death robot

City of Glompton posted:

I got my house slide as a refurb unit from the carnival. it only takes three tickets but I bought a wristband because I tend to make a lot of trips between floors.

----------------

beer pal

weird posted:

by installing a slide you can save money on running your down escalator

City of Glompton posted:

lol

https://i.imgur.com/xQxnooW.png

RudeCat

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

I've had really good experiences hanging out around the dumpsters of the power station on garbage days. They'll throw out power that isn't even bad yet and once it's in the trash it's fair game.

cuntman.net

UnwiseTrout posted:

I've had really good experiences hanging out around the dumpsters of the power station on garbage days. They'll throw out power that isn't even bad yet and once it's in the trash it's fair game.

BeanBandit

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!
A lot of times, stores sell power at a discount if it's been dented or damaged. It's still perfectly good power.

City of Glompton

UnwiseTrout posted:

haha

weird

by zen death robot

UnwiseTrout posted:

----------------

ChairmanMeow

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
People are so power hungry, it just drives the prices up

DeepQantas

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...

A Tin Of Beans posted:

you ever use a laptop to cook an egg
only the one between my shoulders

DeepQantas

Technically not a power saving tip, but if you ever need an extension cord just play root, seventh and ninth.

RudeCat

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

This won't help you in your current residence, but when you're getting the power hooked up to a new place, don't use the same name and address for your billing. Instead, the address of the power company for your billing and charge it to HR or something like that.

google THIS

UnwiseTrout posted:

just remember it's good courtesy to let your guests know that their meal was cooked using dumpster power

Stinky_Pete

Stinkier than your average bear
using a thermostat?

For 2 years I lived in an apartment with no air conditioning system, and it would pull in heat like an oven. We were on the roof above a verizon wireless store, and its A/C units were spewing out heat not 6 feet from our balcony, so even keeping the balcony doors open didn't do much for ventilation. The place was an oven and I was always going downstairs to the local flame broiler to get a big cup of ice-tastic diet soda. My roommate had to use his fan AND my fan AND my under-laptop fan (which I didn't need because I had a desktop) just to keep his laptop alive to play a simple RTS. We were very serious about our ice tray cycles--if you take a few ice cubes out, dump the rest of the tray into the ice bin and refill it. We drank a lot of Franzia that way.

In the winter, it would be cold some mornings and we would turn the heat on for maybe half an hour, but not too long because that was weed money.

Ever since then, using the A/C has always been a foreign concept to me. I just keep the windows open and have a fan and a cool drink. When it's cold I keep the windows closed and use a blanket.

You can turn the tables, but your feet will still be under them

Qwerinty

by zen death robot
if you make a solar panel powered thermostat, you can install it in the sunlight and it will power your hvac system for free

----------------

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
the complex power network that covers europe has maintained the balance of power since 1945

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

DeepQantas

To get back to original topic... When watching Baywatch fast forward every scene with chest hair.

School Nickname

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:

Rodatose posted:

I'm in month 4 of total war with the power company. i use a homemade utility lift to hook up abandoned houses to the grid and then run stacks of bulky microwave ovens for hours straight

Day 172:
Dear Diary, I'm still down over the demolition of my "burrito factories" a month ago, but our new recruit for the cause has given me a glimmer of hope. It's been a week since I found him, weak and powerless like I was before I started. He hasn't given me his name yet and seems a bit simple, but I've no doubt he'll contribute to the cause.

Day 194:
Dear Diary, I was spying on electrical workers for the 6th time this fortnight, after chopping down a few electrical poles. In their crude conversations, they haven't yet divulged any info about where their CEO might be hiding. All I hear is mention of "Overtime" and "raking it in boys!", accompanied by chuckles. They're laughing at me. ME! Rodatose! I'll get them back though. It's getting dark, I'll have to look for my companion soon. He's always wandering for some reason.

Day 223:
Diary, a small success today, I've gotten a small burrito factory up and running after the total failure of convincing people around the city to farm bitcoins. People were definitely eager, but they kept getting their houses raided by the police, so participation plummeted. drat that power company! Fingers everywhere! Ugh, I'm so tired, I've forgotten how all this started. I'd probably remember if I hadn't used the first 40 diary entries for toilet paper.

Day 239:
Dear Diary, I'm beginning to suspect my "companion" has turned, if he was ever on my side in the first place. His wanderings have recently increased in frequency which has alarmed me greatly. I have tried to question him but he always gives the same answer of "Umama, UMamamaMA, Uma". Whoever he works for, they won't be able to interfere with my latest plan. I've found their key weakness you see. The pylons. If I can take down a few the pylons using my trusty homemade utility lift(now patented) and some hammers, they'll cave quickly enough. I can also sell the copper wire and scrap to finance my campaign. I'll climb the first one tomorrow. Lift only goes so far.

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Sep 17, 2015

Savage For The Winjun

mods please sticky this thread, it always reminds me to turn off dumb stuff im not using

Rodatose

corn, corn, corn
Day 405: woke up from my coma yesterday

don't understand what went wrong. I was wearing rubber gloves like ash ketchum so I should have been completely unaffected. maybe the pc has been experimenting slipping a dark new form of power into the public's supply? contact the papers. they'll want this scoop

City of Glompton

School Nickname posted:

Day 172:
Dear Diary, I'm still down over the demolition of my "burrito factories" a month ago, but our new recruit for the cause has given me a glimmer of hope. It's been a week since I found him, weak and powerless like I was before I started. He hasn't given me his name yet and seems a bit simple, but I've no doubt he'll contribute to the cause.

Day 194:
Dear Diary, I was spying on electrical workers for the 6th time this fortnight, after chopping down a few electrical poles. In their crude conversations, they haven't yet divulged any info about where their CEO might be hiding. All I hear is mention of "Overtime" and "raking it in boys!", accompanied by chuckles. They're laughing at me. ME! Rodatose! I'll get them back though. It's getting dark, I'll have to look for my companion soon. He's always wandering for some reason.

Day 223:
Diary, a small success today, I've gotten a small burrito factory up and running after the total failure of convincing people around the city to farm bitcoins. People were definitely eager, but they kept getting their houses raided by the police, so participation plummeted. drat that power company! Fingers everywhere! Ugh, I'm so tired, I've forgotten how all this started. I'd probably remember if I hadn't used the first 40 diary entries for toilet paper.

Day 239:
Dear Diary, I'm beginning to suspect my "companion" has turned, if he was ever on my side in the first place. His wanderings have recently increased in frequency which has alarmed me greatly. I have tried to question him but he always gives the same answer of "Umama, UMamamaMA, Uma". Whoever he works for, they won't be able to interfere with my latest plan. I've found their key weakness you see. The pylons. If I can take down a few the pylons using my trusty homemade utility lift(now patented) and some hammers, they'll cave quickly enough. I can also sell the copper wire and scrap to finance my campaign. I'll climb the first one tomorrow. Lift only goes so far.

:ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

City of Glompton

all this talk of war is scary. I'm skipping the violence and the bombing in favor of a direct path to low-cost stone age living-- pouring superglue in my thermostat before someone touches it.

• Locked thread