Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Haven't played E:D since 1.1 or so. Figured I would wait and see if the game introduced better income generation methods over a few patch cycles.

Anybody able to validate the "10 mil / hour" claims in this video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytAk5IWR4Yg It seems like every YouTube video detailing a high-income method is promptly followed by the nerf bat treatment from Frontier in order to return player income generation to previous Korean MMO'esque soul-crushing levels of terrible. If this method is real however, I may be looking at getting back into the space saddle. 8 ~ 10 mil/hour for space combat with added risk of player interaction sounds like my cup of tea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

GaylordButts posted:

That one is very unlikely to change, he's just saying you can get rank 5 in about 10 hours and maintain it in 5 every week and then he's taking the 50million credit weekly paycheck for rank 5 and dividing by the hours required. Several goons have done that painful grind already, not sure how long it actually took them but at least a few sped it up by doing it in a wing. The biggest thing to keep in mind is:
  • You won't get paid until the end of the second week maintenance.
  • If you fail to get your needed 10k merits at the end of the weekly cycle (sometime on Thursdays) you get the rank 4 payout instead, and it's significantly shittier.

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Ignoring the 50 million weekly stipend, with the bounty bonuses it is super easy for you to get 10 mil an hour just bounty hunting with the rank 5 bonus. Or even more. I clocked in 15 million in less than an hour just farting around half-assedly resetting a HiRES.

Cool, thanks for the info. From what I can gather, this method seems to be the highest form of income in the game currently, correct? Or are there still yet better methods that only those who are in with the Mumble Illuminati are privy to?

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I know :frontear: and all but... I gotta say, I'm impressed with the effect Powerplay has had on the game. I felt the game was always lacking some personality, and now that Powerplay is a thing it's at least at a solid start.

Also all the small things that have cumulative side effects. Such as players who support a power and choose to gain merits through undermining end up accumulate massive bounties, which leads to player bounty hunting actually being more of a thing, etc. Good stuff.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

KakerMix posted:

It is dumb as gently caress but the real money is in a good res. 50 million will be but a portion.

Can you or someone explain this in more detail? Haven't played since 1.1. I'm working on my Rank 5 at the moment.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

CountingWizard posted:

Horizons will be the station walking (Eve Online) of Elite. It will be a one room tech demo with absolutely no reason to be there.

The only content they should be adding is more co-op activities.

This is my biggest fear too. :(

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Let's make the choice to be glass-half-full people and dream up some cool ways that Horizons gameplay could be more than a pointless albeit flashy tech demo. Some gameplay ideas that would give weight to the experience:

-Planetary mining. Give us a little land surveying mini game that we play while driving around to find rich ore deposits.

-Tie into current missions. Plenty of opportunity for land-based fetch quests so long as driving around is as much fun as flying around and docking are in this game.

-If there are ground vehicle weapons at play (think the Mako's awesome cannon from Mass Effect) then there's opportunity for NPC and player bounty hunting. I'm envisioning chasing an NPC from space down to the surface, they try to escape you on ground with the goal to rendezvous with another escape ship and you have to kill them in a limited time period before they get away.

-This one is a long shot, but it would be awesome if we could place our own start line and finish line beacons, basically create our own race courses, then race each other. Maybe add in the ability to wager credits to the winner. Emergent gameplay ahoy!

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Sometimes when interdicting, the targeting UI freaks out and stutters between two positions super fast and I end up failing the interdiction shortly thereafter. Is this a bug? Anyone else run into this?

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

frank.club posted:

Seriously dude that happens to me 7/10 times. Sometimes if I hang with the original vector it'll snap back. That being said it's hard to judge because you can't see what you're doing really.

Was really hoping someone would just post to tell me to update my video drivers and all would be well.

Welp. :frontear:

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Honest question: are there any VR technologies out there right now that work well with Elite Dangerous? Or is "wait for the consumer Oculus Rift in Q1 2016" still the suggested course of action?

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
My Saitek X-52 Pro owns. I love it dearly and would not trade it for any other HOTAS setup for this game. When I have the HTC Vive and am looking around my cockpit and can feel the exact same digital joystick represented in-game in my hands, all ya'll non X-52 pro havers are gonna be maximum jelly. :smug:

Also "feels cheap" is a hugely subjective thing for a lot of people. I disagree with that sentiment on this particular HOTAS setup. Many parts of the X-52 Pro are metal, all of the buttons have a solid feel when I use them, and there is spring tension on almost everything. My personal preference is that there would be even more spring tension on the main stick, which thankfully appears to be a simple mod: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TewzmOoysDw Depending on what you play however, spring tension is a "bad" thing. For instance, helicopter sim gamers prefer almost no spring tension, since a vast majority of their flight maneuvers require their stick not to remain centered or want to drift to center due to tension in order to maintain certain vectors in the helicopter. Again, it's all personal preference, and for the X-52 Pro this is something that is easily moddable to fit that preference.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Moacher posted:

I'd kind of prefer they put more work into black hole rendering first, before adding more obscure stellar phenomena. Interstellar raised the bar on bitchin' black hole depictions, and most of the ones in E:D just seem pretty boring by comparison unless you're in a system with a particularly starry skybox. I want to marvel at blinding swirling accretion disks, damnit!

Dude. Yes.

Fuckin' Interstellar man... That movie was amazing. Like I have big TV at home and all that, but nothing will ever ever compare to seeing that movie in IMAX.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
ObsidianAnt's review of playing Elite with the Vive sold me on it. Sounds like it is easily the best VR experience for the game. I'm going to do whatever it takes to preorder a consumer Vive when details of the holiday release become available.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Well if they are near identical then I guess it's either holiday 2015 for Vive or Q1 2016 for Rift because they are fickle bastards that love being late to market.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

frank.club posted:

Is that Google cardboard any different?

I've yet to find any smartphone VNC app that does not run without some kind of obnoxious latency. To be fair, I've only tried Splashtop Streamer on iOS (which was supposed to be rated as one of the best.) Unless anyone has any recommendations in this area, I don't recommend trying to play Elite with any smartphone-based VR solution.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah I was mostly just curious to hear what others were using for VNC and issuing a word of caution if you are an iOS user. Should have worded that better. Really hoping for a good, latency-free iPhone solution, but at this point Vive and Rift aren't terribly far away so meh.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

1.4 posted:

- Updated Pluto and Charon to use rocky template rather than icy

Science is rad. :science:

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I'm experiencing extremely long load times when jumping between systems. Between 4-8x as long as it used to take. Anybody else?

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Welp, PowerPlay is now completely broken as a money-maker and is 5x the painful chore that it used to be. I used to be able to manage around 800 merits per hour, but was only able to pull off 200 merits per hour tonight after several hours of consistent applied effort.

Let's see:
  • First, interdictions are now much harder. You can now actually quite easily fail based on the mechanics alone even without the bug, throwing you out of supercruise, forcing hull damage, and giving you a long wait timer.
  • Second, the lovely spaz-out UI interdiction bug is still there and seems to happen more often than I remember.
  • Third, there's now way more spawns of Federal Navy ships that you don't get any merits for, which compete for your actual merit granting spawns.
  • Fourth, NPCs now interdict each other and quite often interdict the targets you want to fight!
  • Finally, not sure what it is, but NPCs seem to be dealing more damage and are more threatening in general. Several times tonight, I had to run from fights that I used to not have to run from. It feels like damage has been slightly increased from NPCs across the board, but it may have just been me tilting now that I realized I have another 2500 merits to go before tomorrow's reset which is probably not going to happen with these lovely mechanics being the way they are.
Congrats :frontear:, you've made your game actively worse.

At this point, if I fail to get my remaining merits tomorrow, I am planning on cutting my losses and never touching PowerPlay again. What a god awful, grindy, boring experience. I take back all of my previous praise that I posted about it.

edit: Oh and figured I'd mention that someone from IRC said that the A Lavigny bonus to bounties has been tamed down as expected too, so there's that.

Siets fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Oct 7, 2015

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

DarthBlingBling posted:

Please tell me people on the brown sea are getting angry about all this

The one thread I saw about this on the E:D forums last night had been started by a guy with the same complaints I had. Then you had about 5:1 numbers of people responding to him with "you do know this is Elite:Dangerous right!?! :smug:" and "Good! Interdicting should be hard, in fact Frontier should make it harder!" and "Ohhh... Is someone sad they have to actually work for their merits now?? :qq:"

So yeah. A bunch of sad lonely masochists actually praising Frontier for breaking this aspect of their game with the usual fanboy responses we know and love.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

tooterfish posted:

Powerplay is poo poo, and anyone playing it deserves everything they get for encouraging them to iterate on that shitshow instead of ripping it out from the root and starting again.

I'm glad you're having a bad time. Glad, you hear!

I mean... I was already having a bad time before. With this patch, it's more like I got laid off by the man on a Tuesday rather than a Friday just so they can screw me that little bit more on my last paycheck.

At this point I'm ready to retire to the peaceful, pastoral life of being a space rock miner in non-colonized space. :psydwarf:

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Some people from the interdiction complaint thread (https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=188506) are reporting that interdicting gets a bit easier under the new mechanics if you sacrifice some of your higher class slots to accommodate a higher class interdictor. I'm going to try and validate this with my Vulture tonight by dropping my 4A Shield Cell Battery for a 4A Interdictor. While this sucks to do, it is at least the first time that I have felt I have had to make a real "choice" with my ship's build. I guess that could be considered a win with the changes here, even though its a win that comes from such a soul crushing nerf.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Literally Kermit posted:

Get a refinery. The more bins, the better. It is all automatic now as long as there are empty bins

Get a collector control module. Make sure it is size three. 3A is best, drones from it last 12 minutes and you can have two at once. You can have another module and another two drones at once, but launch them from a different fire group (you can't launch two at the same time)

If possible, put on a prospector module. It can be a size 1, they tell you what a rock has and may also boost yield

Get as much cargo space you can. Go to the munitions screen and buy "limpets", enough to fill a little more than half your cargo space.

go to the Frey system, fourth world. It has a pristine metallic ring and is not far from 63 G. Capricorni

Oh wait, did you equip mining lasers? gently caress. Luckily there is a station that sells them 62 ls away. Go there and get some, refuel, etc

Back at Frey 4, head to the inner-most ring. Set up your fire groups so you can launch a prospector, mining lasers, etc. you will need some lasers for killin' unless you got friends at your back. I slap on a KWS so you can scan pirates- yeah, go back to the station. And learn to read all instructions before starting things.

Okay, back at Frey 4, inner ring, here we go: fire a prospector. Ignore any failure messages, surprise, it is bugged. If your cargo scoop is open, it will briefly close it to program and launch the limpet (drone). Switch groups and get your collectors out. Oh boy!

Once launched, the prospector is selectable and if you are smarter than you look, will actually hit the rock. It will tell you what types of elements are in it, how much, and how much left until the rock is depleted. Shop around and look for gold, platinum, palladium, osmium, and jesus christ yes, painite. Plenty of other metals and minerals here to grab but try to make sure you prioritize any of those five.

Get somewhat close. Fire mining lasers into rock. Make sure cargo scoop is open. Now the fun part - watch your refinery and cargo hold slowly fill up! When depleted, move on and go back two steps and repeat.

Hold full? Take dat pure profit to a high tech or a refinery. I suggest Xihe which is a high tech refinery. Now check the bulletin board for mining missions. If you have the minerals take and complete for not only massive increases of money, but reputation and eventually rank missions as well!

When you get tired of gaming the bulletin board (missions reroll regularly) sell your other minerals and metals at the market and head back out! Hi-ho!

Requoting this nugget from our fellow illustrious froglord since it is full of helpful info and what I plan to try tonight. (Goodbye PowerPlay forever. I never loved you anyway... :colbert:)

A few questions:

How do you handle the pirate NPCs that will inevitably harass you?

Do you have to do this in a RES or can you just crash anywhere into a pristine ring and go to work?

Does a higher difficulty RES equate to better yields?

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Aramoro posted:

So is anyone playing this on XBox One, is it worth a shot if you like tedious space games? I'm really tempted in by the exploration stuff if that's something you can legitimately do.

Is it ever! :monocle:

But no seriously, it is a Good Game and if you already have a tolerance for tedium in the genre you are going to fall in love my friend. A lot of people consider the exploration to be the best part of the game as well. Just look at some of the screenshots or spaceblogs that people have posted of their trips to the galactic core and beyond. The views and things you will see along the way are amazing, and the scale of your journey feels truly massive.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Aramoro posted:

I played EvE for 10 years this feels like it could be in a similar vein.

Do any goons play on XBox though?

Imagine the MMO feeling of EVE, with less of the "players make everything" but a much bigger universe with many more star systems to compensate. Oh and also combat in Elite: Dangerous is actually fun unlike EVE's "automatically orbit a thing until it dies" paradigm. :colbert:

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Aramoro posted:

Ah handy, I'm currently really bad at supercruising and coming out of supercruise at my destination, like it flashes up I should slow down but well after I should have started slowing down so I kinda obrit it trying to slow down to some reasonable speed nearby before cruising in.

I'll trying fiddling with the control as well, right now it's a pretty bumpy landing.

It's all about coming in at an angle and knowing your gravity wells.

Planets, suns, and other large space objects have large gravity wells that slow you down massively. Using this knowledge, you can chart your course to go well around them in a wide arc to maintain your speed, or sling around near them to act as an anchor to drag down your speed.

If you are going too fast (the little timer says 0:04 or lower) then when I like to do is pitch down at a 45 degree angle to my target. Then watch your distance in the lower left HUD. Keep your target at 45 degrees (right around the top of your cockpit's canopy) as you spiral into the target. While spiraling inwards towards your target, the gravity well of the nearby planet will work its magic to slow you down to the speed range you need to be in. I've found this to be much faster than the usual newbie "woooooops!" fly wayyy past it, turn around slowly, come back in a straight line, etc.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Adult Sword Owner posted:

So get there, cheese the mission resets to fill up my log and hold, then get back to civilization and drop it all off?

This is correct. I went there last night in an Asp fit posted in the Elite PGS thread. Took me about 3 hours start to finish to get out to Sothis, cheese reloading to pick up missions in the 2-5 million payout range (got about 12 of these), fly back to colonized space, then dock at 12 different outposts/stations to turn in and get paid. All in all this netted me 45 million for the entire thing. I plan to do a similar outing each night until they inevitably nerf this because Frontier hates semi-casual players getting spacerich and want only the grindiest of sperglords to be able to fly Anacondas apparently.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Adult Sword Owner posted:

I do hear the siren call of a FAS with top tier everything and my Cobra is a badass at hauling

Crappy trade rank will probably not make it worth it though

You'd be surprised on the trade rank thing. I did my 45 mil run last night all from missions obtained at trade rank Merchant (achieved when you have around 3-4 million in trade profits to your name.) It took a fair bit of resetting the bulletin board to get the desirable 2-5 mil payout missions though. Usually I'd see one pop up every 3-4 resets. I'd say I spent a good hour just resetting the bulletin board before I found 12 solid payout missions, but it is certainly doable at lower trade ranks.

Hoping that tonight now that I have reached Broker that things will be much more profitable. :getin:

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

:siren: ATTENTION SMUGGLERS :siren:

Here's one crazy trick to prevent your rear end from being scanned by the po-po:

Pop a chaff

You can't be scanned while chaff is active!

Old Johnny Law Hates this trick!

:aaaaa:

Thank you. This will be immensely helpful for tonight's run.

Now if we could just do something about the god awful chain interdictions. :suicide:

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Astroniomix posted:

Also after doing several runs, loading your ship down with enough fuel to make the run without stopping is the way to go. Though running a 6A fuel scoop on an asp is a close second.

:aaaaa:

Somehow all this time I never noticed that you could buy and add additional fuel tanks. Wow. Today I Learned.

Side note: how many extra tanks and what size is needed to get the Asp up to full run distance?

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Well now that I have around 300 mil in the bank, I would assume commodity trading in an Anaconda would be the best income per hour? Anything else in the game that beats that?

vvv Cool. What would a ballpark be for an ideal trading route? 4000 credits per ton per round trip? Haven't traded in a long while so the game may have changed. People still using that one site to find trade routes?

Siets fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Oct 21, 2015

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Does the game remember what you paid for a ship when you decide to sell it? In other words, will the game buy it back at the discount price if you bought it at discount, or will you get full price back for it regardless what you initially paid?

Basically I'm wondering if I can ferry anacondas from those Li Yong Whatever systems to normal prices systems and make a tidy profit while doing so?

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Will another civil war be starting up in 17 Draconis soon and allow the farming to continue? Was thinking of hopping back on Elite as I have a friend just getting into it.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Any chance we see another civil war in 17 Draconis over the weekend, or has the ship sailed at this point?

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I wouldn't even mind if normal-play income was as abysmal as it always has been, as long as every once in awhile the tidal forces of the game's BGS and procedural generation admixture produced anomalies of short-lived high income opportunities that weren't rooted in exploits. It's fun when stuff gets discovered by the community and everyone rushes together to join in the latest California gold rush for awhile. Stuff like that is a good way to keep YouTubers and streamers driving interest in the game and keeps dedicated players changing up their routine.

But nope, :frontear:. Stuff like this is always more of an exploit rather than an intentional design decision.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Are those vampire teeth? :catstare:

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Why am I reinstalling this game?

Perhaps it was the space elf titties.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Imma be a super spaceship hipster and make a special cool kids only Discord that you can only get access to after joining the first aforementioned Discord. :radcat:

Or we could :justpost: this poo poo here instead, a thread in an internet forum that is already both dead and gay and locked behind a paywall.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Morningwoodpecker posted:

According to Inara :

Ross 671
CPD-28 332
LHS 1617
Col 285 Sector YF-M c8-8
Khered
Ngobriglai

Are the only systems that have a station named Lebedev and two federation factions.

Stop, you're ruining their clever recruitment strategy. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Xae posted:

I'm hoping that NPC Crew is more than just a buff to $STATS that you can pick up at a station.

Like what the hell does the second seater on a Cobra do?

Stats are fine, stats feel good to get, but yes it definitely should be at least a little more that just stats.

Would be neat to see a copilot have a random percentage chance to pull a Geordi LaForge "I remodulated the power to boost the shields!" or other surprise bonuses along those lines. Maybe your shields finish recharging suddenly as a result of the engineer copilot having a moment of technobabble enlightenment. Along that line, maybe your life support gets extended or fully stabilizes, or maybe you get a sudden boost to weapon damage for a short duration, etc.

Copilots should also have lives of their own to an extent within the game's mission system. After flying with them for awhile they come to trust you and give you access to special lucrative missions through their own personal networks or something. Some copilots could have special relations with the power play factions and provide a bonus to help reduce the week to week grinding.

As far as the physical aspects of flying a ship in the game though, yeah I'm not sure what all they could bring to the table. As you said, even the largest ships are completely designed around one-man = total control.

• Locked thread