Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Tytan posted:

What are people's thoughts on railgun upgrades, now that the ammo has increased to 80? I thought Short Range Blaster with Super Penetrator could be a good combo, but I've seen people say the damage falloff makes SRB not worth it. Though that seems to have been tweaked in a recent patch too?

Lightweight 5 with super penetrator. Zero downsides other than a more fragile gun which is seriously not something I care about.

Sorry needed an opinion. Yeah, it's good.

Not your question but on the same topic efficient 5 burst lasers with a grade 5 charge enhanced capacitor are wonderful. Only 2 pips to weapons? No worries! :v:

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jan 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

adamantium|wang posted:

This was a bit terrifying to drop out of hyperspace into

:monocle:

Someday I need to get back out and see what systems like this look like now.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
How does ranking up with the Federation (and other factions i assume) actually work?
I have had this game since the vanilla release, only really playing it seriously lately. But i think i have been maxed out at "Recruit" for literal years now and i just read on the wiki that i'm supposed to get a "promotion mission" to advance me to the next rank. Am i bugged or is it dependent on other criteria too? Like my relation with the Federation? I think it's at "Cordial" or something, i'd check, but the game won't loving stop launching in VR mode and my headset is :effort: far away.

edit: Looking at my posting history ITT i see that almost exactly 1 year ago i had "career opportunities" popping up everywhere in stations and i came in here asking what they were. Got told they were the "promotion missions", but stopped playing and never did them. I think i may have hosed myself :tinfoil:

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jan 27, 2017

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
So these passenger missions, am I able to do them in my Asp? When it says requirements like 'first class cabin' is that something I need to get and put in the ship? I wasn't paying attention when they started doing them but holy hell I wanna get in on that dolla.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

It's a internal component that you fit like anything else.

Giovanni0109
Apr 28, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Aphex- posted:

So these passenger missions, am I able to do them in my Asp? When it says requirements like 'first class cabin' is that something I need to get and put in the ship? I wasn't paying attention when they started doing them but holy hell I wanna get in on that dolla.

It's a module that you can use. Note that some might require "Luxury", which I believe can only be installed on the Orca and Beluga ships.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

Aphex- posted:

The Asp works fine for it.
This is what I used: http://www.edshipyard.com/#/L=A0g0,,Cjw0,9p30A5U0AMg0AdsGp50wvM6tky8qpDGxReOgf-AsO0B4S0BNC0Bcg0,,1dc050U07Pc005U02jw02UI00nE0

Keep in mind that mine has an engineered FSD with Increased Range 5.

If you want to do the tourist missions, I would look for the ones like this:

The higher your rank then the better paying missions for that rank show up more often.

I ran about 50 tourist missions between 1/19 and 1/26 and earned about 235 million credits during that time.

Edit: Some people don't like the tourist missions adding to the exploration rank. :)
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/325167-Does-Frontier-intend-players-to-get-Elite-exploration-within-a-week

Turmoil fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jan 27, 2017

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
2.3 beta dropping at the end of February

At least FDEV is dropping radio silence about it.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Commander creator and multi crew are what a huge portion of the community have been waiting for since release...

Please let this be a good update.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

2.3 beta dropping at the end of February

At least FDEV is dropping radio silence about it.

Wait next month already?! Every time I think Frontier's Nazi-like information curfew can't surprise me anymore, hot drat. At least playing Elite for two years mellowed me out enough so I can just point and laugh at how silly this is, instead of doing this IRL: :argh:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

I predict it will be a solid update but not live up to people's imaginations. The usual suspects will poo poo all over it and will continue to post about a thing they hate.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

I predict it will be a solid update but not live up to people's imaginations. The usual suspects will poo poo all over it and will continue to post about a thing they hate.

Well, I'll only be able to try out the new stuff from 2.3 (and the new stuff I've missed from 2.2) when I'm back in the bubble in Summer, so I'll be withholding my judgement until then.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Is there anything in it that is worth making GBS threads all over if you're stuck in a neutron-star field 5kLy from Sgr A* and won't come back to inhabited space before the summer? :D

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

You might want to get your personality disorder checked out

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Zigmidge posted:

You might want to get your personality disorder checked out

:ironicat:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Another quality post :thumbsup:

With no NPC crew for 2.3 I'm skeptical of what is included. Will get to make a commander picture and telepresence into other players ships with fighters? What else

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
I want a proper NPC crew so danged bad :smith:

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

I'm more interested in what they plan on having crew doing.

Most of the ships don't have the right placement for turrets and don't have fighters.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Xae posted:

Most of the ships don't have the right placement for turrets and don't have fighters.

I'd be fine having an NPC crew member manage my power balance according to a robust list of selectable presets. Or just give my ship a bonus to some stat based on their primary "skill."

Or whatever; I don't even care, really. Make them as cosmetic as bobbleheads. Deep down, I just want to look across the cockpit of my big ol' ship and not see a dumb empty chair.

edit: Oh you mean player crew, yeah I couldn't give two shits about that. :P

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jan 27, 2017

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

At the very least have the fighter pilot I hired sitting in the copilot seat.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.
lol, immersion

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Trustworthy posted:

I'd be fine having an NPC crew member manage my power balance according to a robust list of selectable presets. Or just give my ship a bonus to some stat based on their primary "skill."

Or whatever; I don't even care, really. Make them as cosmetic as bobbleheads. Deep down, I just want to look across the cockpit of my big ol' ship and not see a dumb empty chair.

edit: Oh you mean player crew, yeah I couldn't give two shits about that. :P

Well I mean either one.

I'm hoping that NPC Crew is more than just a buff to $STATS that you can pick up at a station.

Just think about the hard point placement on every ship smaller that uses a medium or small pad.

The whole game was designed around one person flying the ships.

Like what the hell does the second seater on a Cobra do?

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

Xae posted:

giving spacehead? :v:

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

coupedeville posted:

giving spacehead? :v:

There are some creepy people on the official forums who have female fighter pilots that they've given backstories to.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Xae posted:

Exactly why I suspect it's going to be underwhelming, the current game basically only supports fighters for additional players.

So it's either going to be a huge patch that changes a huge core of the game with commanders being able to walk around ships, (this list is made up and what I imagine you could do with proper interesting multi crew) repairing real time damage, and managing systems and physically jumping into fighter cockpits, all which would mean reworking ship systems, the cockpit UI, adding in moving about outside your ship etc.

OR you can have one other commander looking out of your cockpit and jumping into the srv/fighter when not in SC and assuming you have the right ship.

Seems like it's probably the latter, but I guess we'll see in the coming weeks. I suppose if it's the former I can understand why they took out NPC crew, getting AI working for that would be a challenge in itself.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Turmoil posted:

There are some creepy people on the official forums who have female fighter pilots that they've given backstories to.

Let me tell you about the space elf guardians,

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Just got the game on Monday, tooled around in my Scooty Puff Jr Sidewinder learning the ropes and making a few bucks until I could buy a Viper MkIII and upgrade it to my liking yesterday, at which point I fully embraced the bounty life.

My question is: how reliable are combat ranks for NPCs as a gauge of their dangerousness? It seems like I've engaged NPCs who are Competent which posed a much greater threat than Dangerous ones, but I didn't know if maybe I just got lucky.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Turmoil posted:

Mines a Bastard With a Heart of Gold who is Tsundere and an Ace Pilot but with a Tragic Childhood :tvtropes:

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Xae posted:

I'm hoping that NPC Crew is more than just a buff to $STATS that you can pick up at a station.

Stats are fine, stats feel good to get, but yes it definitely should be at least a little more that just stats.

Would be neat to see a copilot have a random percentage chance to pull a Geordi LaForge "I remodulated the power to boost the shields!" or other surprise bonuses along those lines. Maybe your shields finish recharging suddenly as a result of the engineer copilot having a moment of technobabble enlightenment. Along that line, maybe your life support gets extended or fully stabilizes, or maybe you get a sudden boost to weapon damage for a short duration, etc.

Copilots should also have lives of their own to an extent within the game's mission system. After flying with them for awhile they come to trust you and give you access to special lucrative missions through their own personal networks or something. Some copilots could have special relations with the power play factions and provide a bonus to help reduce the week to week grinding.

As far as the physical aspects of flying a ship in the game though, yeah I'm not sure what all they could bring to the table. As you said, even the largest ships are completely designed around one-man = total control.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

PantsOptional posted:

My question is: how reliable are combat ranks for NPCs as a gauge of their dangerousness? It seems like I've engaged NPCs who are Competent which posed a much greater threat than Dangerous ones, but I didn't know if maybe I just got lucky.

Some ships are more annoying than others, for sure.

That said, as far as I know, later combat ranks not only have upgraded, but engineered parts and modules, and generally mean they can take more punishment and dish out more damage.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Mr. Crow posted:

So it's either going to be a huge patch that changes a huge core of the game with commanders being able to walk around ships, (this list is made up and what I imagine you could do with proper interesting multi crew) repairing real time damage, and managing systems and physically jumping into fighter cockpits, all which would mean reworking ship systems, the cockpit UI, adding in moving about outside your ship etc.

SpaceLegs are coming, but it has been said that it will not be this season.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

PantsOptional posted:

Just got the game on Monday, tooled around in my Scooty Puff Jr Sidewinder learning the ropes and making a few bucks until I could buy a Viper MkIII and upgrade it to my liking yesterday, at which point I fully embraced the bounty life.

Pretty reliable, thought it also varies greatly based on the type of ship they're flying.

Expect dangerous and deadly military ships to be a pain in the rear end if you're new (but certainly doable).

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Alehkhs posted:

SpaceLegs are coming, but it has been said that it will not be this season.

Did they say that we wouldn't be walking around in the ship? I know they said outside the ship (and I know I said outside ship in the original post, meant cockpit) but I wasn't sure if they clarified ship interiors.

drat that sucks if true.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

Lima posted:

Let me tell you about the space elf guardians,

Saw it. Wish I could un-see it.

Ran across this today: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/325296-High-jump-range-is-ruining-the-game
:rolleyes:

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

Turmoil posted:

I really didn't need to know this but thanks I guess :cripes:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ah, another mentaloid who doesn't understand how time and distances work.

Or a masochist.

NurhacisUrn
Jul 18, 2013

All I can think about is your wife and a horse.
We are working on some SERIOUS SHIT in here.

Turmoil posted:

If by any chance you remember where they are, could you link them for posterity? Broken pubbies writing terrible fanfics about their NPCs is bread and butter.

Thanks for all the good information in here, been lurking it a while. Great thread, great game. Heil Braben!

Vecna
Feb 14, 2007

Libluini posted:

Ah, another mentaloid who doesn't understand how time and distances work.

Or a masochist.

Fun fact: This bozo posting on the brown sea also claimed that in space an object would accelerate to infinite speeds once a force was applied to it. The post was so bad the developers stopped what they were doing to ridicule him.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/158051-Moar-Guns-Needed/page2

Idiot Abroad posted:

if you want to get into logic arguments with balancing. Kinetic weapons gain energy the longer they have time to accelerate (acceleration is constant for ballistic ammo). So further away, kinetic weapons should do more damage and go faster not less damage and constant speed (which is the current setup).

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

That post and following argument is peak brown sea. It doesn't get any better worse than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Vecna posted:

Fun fact: This bozo posting on the brown sea also claimed that in space an object would accelerate to infinite speeds once a force was applied to it. The post was so bad the developers stopped what they were doing to ridicule him.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/158051-Moar-Guns-Needed/page2
Look, when I said I wanted realistic physics I didn't specify realistic in which loving universe okay?

• Locked thread