Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
So as someone who only bounty hunts and has no interest in trading or exploration, is a Cobra the next logical upgrade from the Viper?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Docking computer is awesome. I set auto-dock, then go get a drink and let the dogs out.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Drake_263 posted:

The best poo poo happens when I'm asleep or at work, I swear.

Hey, you mentioned wanting to see some experiments with cheapo annoying ship builds - I think I'm going to take that over when I get back home. Got any specific requests for builds/hulls? Sidey, Eagle, Adder?

Edit: Thought experiment, a Palwinder build. Exactly how nasty can you make a Sidewinder if we assume you start rom zero and some friendly goon tosses you four tons (a full Sidewinder cargo bay) of palladium?

A pretty okay one, turns out.

Assuming the about average marketprice of 13,5K per ton of palladium, you're left with a budget of 54K for upgrades (not counting the 32K for the base hull). Note that this is basically just a little more than the cost of a stock Eagle plus a third gun for that dorsal mount (47K with a third pulse laser).

This particular design doesn't got for anything fancy or complicated, like power stance dancing or the like (though it does take som power priority management); it's basically a stock Sidewinder simply upgraded in most ways.

Upgrading the vast majority of systems into lightweight, low-cost D-grade equipment keeps the final retrofit costs low while (thoretically) vastly inreasing the basic ship's performance - higher agility, better maneuverability, tougher shields. Most vitally the power distributor has been boosted all the way up to B-grade, making the ship much more forgiving in combat - the stock Sidewinder's power generator is actually pretty okay, the problem is getting it where it needs to go.

A hull reinforcement package, shield cell bank and chaff dispenser further increase your longevity - I chose to emphatize durability, seeing the Sidey's tanky role in CQC. I chose a B-grade shield cenn bank in particular because while it's cheaper than the A-grade, it also carries an extra cell for a total of 3. If you can trigger your cells properly when you hit the thirty or so percent mark on your shields, you can actually absorb more damage than a stock Viper before the bubble finally fails. Finally, a pair of burst lasers are a minor upgrade over the stock pulses - being able to put out damage in faster bursts mean you can deal a fair amount of damage between evasive maneuvers. Beam lasers would be beter, but require several seconds of uninterrupted burn for maximum effectiveness and are much, much more expensive.

Now, I'm not going to say that this is a ship that'll make you invincible - at its heart it's still a Sidewinder, afterall. However, the point is that this thing is cheap, easy to fit, and easy to fly - and, with a few basic skills, can (theoretialy) make for a surprisingly difficult target to actually take out. Shield cell banks and chaff dispensers on an agile hull can be pretty nasty - in my experience many players (partiularly those sticking to a gamepad or mouse&keyboard) rely on gimbaled weapons and being able to gently caress with that is invaluable for adding a couple of seconds of confusion. It's also very cheap and easy to upgrade to something more deadly, either with ship upgrades or simply replaxing it with an Eagle own the line (once you can afford a proper fit). Replacing one laser with a gimbaled multicannon would give you moe punch against armor (at the cost of adding another key bind ot keep a track of) and the hull reinforcement package can be switched out for the original cargo bay, fuel scoop, or an auxiliary fuel tank..

There's also the fact that, well.. it's a Sidewinder. The vast majority of players move up from it to more exciting ships the moment they have the chance to - hell, some of the pople who preordered likely never flew thiers any further than claiming their Freagle on launch. NPC sidewinders are weak and braindead, little more than flying target practice - motpilots are going to either think a Sidewinder plyer is n easy newbie or just plain ignore them. having one turn up that actually puts up a decent fight might ad just enough confusion to help.

Did I say one? I mean eight. Afterall, we're goons. One of these thigns might not be much of a threat, bt a whole wing or even two, acting in concert over voice cooms and hopefully lead by a bigger tougher ship? That'll be pretty drat nasty.

We are Goons. Our freewinders will blot out the sun, and they shall fight in the shade.

Does mass/shielding affect damage given dealt ramming a ship?

Like, could I and a few others destroy a much larger, more expensive ship if we rammed it with sidewinders crammed with shields and hull armor and nothing else?

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
What's the preferred faction to join by folks 'round these parts?

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Cactus posted:

And then it occurred to me. If it nearly happened to me, chances are it has happened to someone else at some point, somewhere out there. If you are that person, please accept my deepest, most sincere condolences and sympathies. No-one deserves that. No-one.

Well this dude got griefed by his own squadmate after a 3 month exploration

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01ixglz4AvY

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Picked up ED so I have something to play with my Vive. Will be playing once Frontier Support transfers my console credits over.

Read the OP - What's the best HOTAS to use with a VR headset? (Apparently Saitek is not recommended?)

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Alright, I'll get a T1600.

How hard is ship management with a VR headset on? I don't imagine people are constantly pulling off their headset to find they keyboard. Is there a preferred VR setup?

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Tippis posted:

What parts of ship management are you referring to, specifically?

Module management and targeting mostly, though now that I think about it having a mouse means I'm overcomplicating this. I'm still thinking of navigating those menus with an xbox controller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Anyone know if elite's auth servers run on s3?

I registered my new PC account, but whenever I try to login I just get a gateway timeout

• Locked thread