Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"

Met posted:

Interesting landing pad.

Hey that's me! yeah I went afk for like 5 hours, I don't remember landing there though...

I'm definitely liking fehu runs a lot more, seems like the luxury station spawns way more smuggling missions and it's a bit closer to where it sends you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

nothing here

AndroidHub fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Oct 19, 2015

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

They need to make it so that fines/bounties go major faction-wide once the week is up and tie bounties/fines to the ships themselves. Then they need to put in ways to be a criminal without automatically getting a fine fpr certain actions; signal jammers, shielded cargo holds, etc.

But the fact that players just CAN'T get faction-wide bounties as the game stands right now is mystifying to me.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

You actually get 30 per kill in anywhere but CZs, that's what made avril rank 5 viable until they changed interdiction and pp spawn mechanics in 1.4. So you just gotta kill 25 dudes for rank 3.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

Your best bet is to work from above one of the axises, though even that sometimes doesn't work. I really wish they would add more tools, like a tractor beam or something that could slow down asteroids, or make that something else prospectors do with their thrusters, it could be a reason to run one of the bigger controllers, more prospectors = better slowing speed.

e: Livestream starting soon! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYHJY9JZNBA

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

A month maybe? basing that on nothing else besides the previous one lasting that long (though it was ended by Hengast getting et tu brute'd.)

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

But soon they will increase the level cap to corvette, in the hit expansion The Moonbuggy Crusade

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

The new CG is up:

And they changed the display so you can actually see what each tier needs, I expect this one will actually get a lot of people contributing to it because of that, and because it's cool and has a real effect on the galaxy map.

I'm just bummed it's based on tons instead of value, that 340 I contributed was sothis crystal gold.

e: also there's a station that you can buy copper in that's 2~ly away :v:

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

Welp, they didn't lock the demand for metal at anything reasonable, so two hours in the CG is already a thing you do for essentially no profit aside from the goal reward. Who knows, maybe it will get high enough that that alone is worth the effort.

I doubt it though.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

deadlyrhetoric posted:

So...what's the trick to the 'Steal X of Y' missions? Flew around WSS, Nav Beacons, and Checkpoints scanning cargo holds and came up with nothing?

Unfortunately the trick is not to take them, they are really tedious to complete the way you're intended to, or you can get other players to drop the stuff for you to pick up to make it stolen, both options are dull.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

Sard posted:

Oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy

:siren:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaV3FP5HJ48:siren:

Federal Corvette!

fuckin rad

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I'm bummed it's not in their steam storefront yet, got a bit of wallet I'd really like to put towards it.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

To anyone who was doing Sothis Gold hauling for money, they have noticed that it was bugged and have made it so that it caps at 20 again.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

Right now I think copper is the only thing you trade at a loss, but the prices aren't particularly good for anything else, nothing is in demand, etc. Copper is where it is because there is a nearly endless supply at a station 2ly away in WOLF 318.

These are the metal prices right now.

I will say it's probably worth getting at least one load of metal there, since it's just about to tier 5, and tier 4 gives you 1.5mil for the lowest level of participation. Tier 5 is also halfway to the max at 20million tons.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

Sekenr posted:

Pls post your color settings.

code:
			<MatrixRed> 0.14, 0.59, 0 </MatrixRed>
			<MatrixGreen> 0, 0, 1 </MatrixGreen>
			<MatrixBlue> 1, -0.65, -0.5 </MatrixBlue>
Was actually posted by somebody earlier in the thread, the only major issue is that "Mission Target" still shows as black, and it can be really hard to see the arrows on allied coriolis stations.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

For anyone interested in doing runs for the nebulastation CG: Jarowair Has small supplies of gold, silver, palladium, and cobalt in varying amounts that are replenishing between trips, and you can haul bioreducing lichen from Kaushpoos for a small profit on the return trip. It's 22.44lr away from Kaushpoos and I'm making about 375k per round trip in a 452 ton conda.

Not great, but if you're looking to get in the top 15% or 40% for the CG it's not bad.

e:Also worth noting this is probably really bad if you're in anything but a large pad ship, since there's a ton of extraction systems near kaushpoos with just outposts.

AndroidHub fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Oct 26, 2015

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

Well I hit the 15% contribution mark at the Kaushpoos CG (its at around 4k tons right now) and decided to look around for better routes. I found that doing a round trip to Teng-Hui Dock in WOLF 325 nets me about 1900cr a ton round trip, silver from Teng-Hui for roughly 1150cr a ton, and advanced catalyzers from Neville Horizons for about 750cr a ton. It's 38 lr, which will be about three jumps in any bulk trading vessel, but Teng-hui is only 28ls from the drop-in once you get there, so I think it's well worth it.

AndroidHub fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Oct 26, 2015

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

Sard posted:

I have a Federal Dropship finally and while it is fun to drift around like a hateful space hellbrick, I've run into a dilemma: How the hell do I arm it? I keep going back to four class 2 pulse laser turrets and one gimballed class 3 cannon- because class 2 weapons have a penalty against large ship hulls (right?) so I get the most of the C3 slot- but the cannon feels kinda weak. It broke the hell out of the internals on this Clipper, but otherwise was only hitting for 1% hull damage per shot. Frag cannons are pieces of poo poo so that's not an option. Should I keep it as is and use the cannon to just punch holes through targets, wrecking power plants every now and then, or switch to a class 3 energy weapon and class 2 multicannon turrets? Or two class 2 pulse turrets on the sides, a class 3 pulse turret below, and something else like two railguns on the bottom?

Decisions, decisions. Hopefully I can make enough money before unlocking access to the Federal Assault Ship that I can afford to keep both hulls; the FDS seems like it'd make the perfect battle miner.

Long story short the FDrop simply isn't that much better than the asp for mining, slightly more cargo space, but less collectors in an optimal build. And for somebody starting out, the asp is significantly more affordable.

FDrop

Asp

It is by no real stretch a good "battle miner" (due to the shield strength) but you can use it for regular mining I guess.

The clipper however is an excellent miner, as it is excellent at almost everything.

I personally wouldn't suggest mining in an RES in anything short of a python or anaconda though.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

Sorry that should be Wolf 325, I was going to 315 as well at some point and mixed em up.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

You're welcome to do whatever, but clippers should still be for sale to anyone, and it's just all around better aside from the fact that you need a large pad, and that it's relatively more expensive-

http://coriolis.io/outfit/imperial_clipper/06D6D5A5D6A5D4C1e1e2m2m040000000605451vC0C0C5P4.Iw18aQ==.AwiMIyuo

This one is basically as optimal as you can get, so you can downgrade some stuff to make it cheaper.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

And and distress beacons, and tractor beams, and npc interaction/hailing. Somebody send Braben a copy via e-mail.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

Or there's no penalty at all if you just ignore the fine!

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I'd suggest buying the whole pro, pre-assembled and flashed. I tried to source the parts when I was looking to get one to DIY (board with case) but when you take into account the magnometer it's really difficult to beat the price of the ready to go one. I got a limited run that came with a nice cable (and was slightly dicounted), but it's still very worth it at that price.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

While I did write up a big loving guide for the op about powerplay, my advice is to only dip your feet in for rank 2 bonuses or rank 3 for modules once you've got your 4 weeks pledged. There are supposed to be powerplay missions and potentially other changes to it coming in 1.5 or shortly after, but until then powerplay is simply a bad deal to go deep into ever since the changes to npc spawns in supercruise and the changes to interdictions.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

Is it just me or have the newsletters seemed even more :effort: lately?

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I dunno, I'd love to just hear some general stuff about 1.5, like the mission system changes, naval changes, whether or not fighter launching will be part of 1.5, etc. I mean, it would also be cool to know anything at all about the Imperial Cutter or Keelback (or what ranks the cutter and corvette will take), but it seems like the newsletter is more of a weekly recap than actual news at this point.

Also it's pretty funny that one of the CGs in the newsletter was completed before the newsletter was sent out.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

They probably chose it because afaik all of the CGs for materials that can only be mined haven't even reached tier 1.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

That's the thing, this is still a "it only counts if you mine it" deal.

:frontear:

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

A-rank the FSD and D-rank everything else basically-

http://coriolis.io/outfit/adder/03D3D3A1D2D3D3C-----2t--3u-.Iw1+kA==.Aw1+kA==

If you are gonna be using it as anything but a taxi you won't be getting that kind of range.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

Seriously though, contact support and tell them how it happened because a cop flew in front of you or whatever, by all accounts they are usually pretty accommodating with stuff like this.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

They have said that there are colonies out in the middle of nowhere on earth-likes, we just can't access them until atmospheric landing is a thing. It's pretty reasonable, since stations are huge efforts, extremely expensive, and really only useful if there is a lot of trade/traffic in the area, whereas a one-way colony ship with some prefab buildings and some generators that run on water would be pretty cheap by Elite standards.

Also, as far as more things outside of the bubble goes, the regions that you need permits to get to on the other side of the galaxy will almost certainly be inhabited by alien races, there isn't much else they could be used for. I suspect like many others that when the time comes there will be wormholes or some other plot device that allows quick travel to other spots in the galaxy. I mean, they have at least a five year plan for E:D, we're getting non-atmos landing and multicrew in the next year, then all that really leaves is FPS and atmos landing as major things that are obvious, and we can assume those will each potentially be their own seasons. So in my mind all that leaves is seasons dedicated to new regions of space and alien races that live there.

Sard posted:

Even the faction rank grind is probably not that bad if you keep rerolling the board for donation missions.

Depends on what you consider "that bad" and what rank you're trying to get to, as well as your luck and a bunch of random metrics that are completely invisible to the player. But assuming you just want rank 7 that's still a good 5-8 hours of sitting there refreshing the board and throwing away money. After that it's 5-10 hours of doing that per rank, if you think this is an okay thing in a game then I don't know what to tell you. The trick here is that you simply aren't intended by the devs to be able to get ranks in a reasonable timeframe (which also isn't okay) but they haven't addressed the mission board refreshing yet so :shrug:.

But then there's also the argument that ranks after 7 do essentially nothing right now (permits to worthless systems.)

AndroidHub fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Nov 3, 2015

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

Permits in general are kind of dumb but yeah, it's actually large clusters of stars that are blocked off in a lot of cases way out there, which people are assuming will be "region permits"(which is in the UI, there just aren't any that players can get yet).

You would think some intrepid pilot would jailbreak there ships nav computer or something though, then again this is a setting where it's your own ship that tells the police to come kill you when you don't fully scan the pirate who is scanning your cargo hold before shooting at them.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

Cheapest way to make money with a clipper is hauling or mining, it's slightly less good at hauling than say, the python since it uses large pads, but still good at basically everything. It's not super good for RES or CZ farming due to the shield numbers, but you can make it work if you really want.

Here's a quick and dirty mining clipper http://coriolis.io/outfit/imperial_clipper/06D6D5A5D6A5D4C1e1e2m2m040000000605451vC0C0C5P4.Iw18aQ==.AwiMIyuo
if you're looking to go really cheap you can downgrade the fsd or shield, but 30~mil is pretty barebones as far as the clipper goes.

And here's an economy hauling clipper for good measure http://coriolis.io/outfit/imperial_clipper/04C5D5A5D5D5D4C----040400000605030302400101.Iw18aQ==.Aw18aQ==

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

If you're getting one with a magnometer it has to be on top of the head afaik. I just put mine on a hairband and continued using my speakers.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

Yeah all the content will be there regardless of whether you own the expansion or not, you just won't have access to it if you don't, like most open-world multiplayer stuff.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

Valatar posted:

So is there any kind of information yet on the ships they're bringing in 1.5? Thus far all I've seen are vague 'there's probably a ship named this' and 'we think a ship looking like this is in'.

I've updated the list in the first post pertaining to 1.5, but I can give you a quick rundown here.

Federal Corvette - The big gun of the Federal ships.

Imperial Cutter - The big gun of the Imperial ships.

Imperial Fighter - basically a TIE fighter with nacelles instead of solar panels, the imperial counterpart to the condor short range fighter.

Viper MK4 - A bulkier version of the mk3, same hardpoints, slower, and presumably more/bigger internal space.

Asp Scout - Basically the same relationship with the Asp explorer that the Diamondbacks have, smaller, different hardpoints, less expensive.

Keelback - A Type6 with better armaments.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

Cobra MK4 does, but that's coming with horizons, which I guess isn't going to be the same update as 1.5 like they said? I don't know anymore, I think they just keep changing their minds.

It's is pretty reasonable to be at least a little miffed about the ships since 4 out of the 7 coming are variants basically, whereas two months ago we thought it was going to be one or maybe two variants (including the Cobra MK4).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdP1DmRYco8 Here's the VOD of the livestream earlier.

AndroidHub fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Nov 4, 2015

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

Libluini posted:

No, it was always 1.5 for everyone and Horizons for everyone who has the expansion. So the other new ships are 1.5, but Cobra Mk.4 for example is only Horizons.

No as in, they probably aren't coming at the same time, which they explicitly said they would a month or so ago. I'm not upset by it, more the opposite, but they do keep changing the story.

e: rewatching the livestream just now I don't really know, they are just kinda leaving it up in the air like always.

AndroidHub fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Nov 4, 2015

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

Libluini posted:

On the other hand, they only mentioned "Holiday Season" at first and it's still both coming during that. For me it looks more they gave out real dates now, which is more "narrowing down" and less "changing the story".

I think you're arguing something entirely different from what I'm saying. Initially there was no indication that 1.5 (Ships) and Horizons (which, as of the last livestream, they are referring to as 2.0) would be a tandem update, then a month or so back they said explicitly that 1.5 and Horizons would be sent out as one update, with the Horizons content locked behind owning the expansion/lifetime pass. As of today they are saying that 1.5 and Horizons will have different beta periods, 1.5 starting on Nov 9th and Horizons starting on Nov 26th, which has lead many to believe that 1.5 will release when the beta period for Horizons begins. And it is widely assumed that The actual release for Horizons will be Dec 16th, as that is when the base game was released in 2014.

Now my personal input is why would they test ships separately if they weren't going to launch it before Horizons, and why are they still using two different version numbers.

In any case it's a difference of two weeks so it doesn't really matter, but you wanted to make it a point of contention so here we are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

Libluini posted:

To be honest here, as soon as I read "widely assumed" and "has lead many to believe" I rolled my eyes. Right now it looks like they could easily just extend the beta for 1.5 to match both release-dates.

For me this looks like a non-problem. As in, I can't even understand what the problem here is supposed to be, so Frontier does a thing and people aggressively misunderstand them? Is that it?

More Frontier/Braben says vague/contrary things, doesn't clarify, and people are left trying to make a best guess at the actual non-beta release dates. Most players don't really care that much about the beta since nothing is permenant in terms of progression or the BGS, so the beta will only answer questions to the things left as mysteries up to this point (like everything about the clipper aside from the name), so those people couldn't care less about knowing when the beta starts, only when they will be able to play with new stuff in the live version.

And just to be clear, do you or don't you think they are being released on the same day?

• Locked thread