Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
Yeah, Orrery views are a must if multicrew/wing exploration is a thing they actually want players to do, which I think will be a blast if we can dock ships equipped with FSD drives into larger ships and not just condors and ifighters. That does all hinge on how multicrew works in terms of embarking though. It would also give D-rank FSDs a use since you would only need them for supercruise on the smaller ships (though it might be nice to have bigger ones in-case the mothership gets stuck without fuel somewhere).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

Libluini posted:

I'd probably find it endearing, too -I just played EVE Online for too long. The EVE-devs have a similarly endearing way of gleefully describing what new ships can do months in advance. So Frontier stumps me extra hard since they're the exact opposite. :v:

Something we can agree on! To me it just seems like bad business to be so opaque about upcoming features that aren't some hidden secret thing. Hype is good, hype moves product, I'd wager at least a few people bought the game after seeing what the corvette was like, or after seeing the rover footage.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I'm sorry.

I need to get off my rear end and put a big banner at the top of the first post telling people not to buy the base game, since we're only a month and change away from horizons now.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Horizons will forever carry the base game or will that stop post-release?

Pressuring a friend to get in for that but he's being a dick, but I think a financial motive will work

As far as I know the only thing changing is that you won't get access to the cobra MK4 if you don't preorder or own the base game before buying Horizons. To me it's a bit skeevy that this is a thing you have to find out on your own or be told about buying the base game, since at this point you're paying $30 to play the base game for a month if you buy it (taking into account that you get $15 off horizons by owning the base game).

This situation is also just because of the way they decided to do it as a buy-in instead of making the expansion cheaper but require the base game, seemingly for no other reason than to squeeze the people who already own the base game a little extra, or maybe to justify the ridiculous price tag on the lifetime pass.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

Libluini posted:

Nope, the reason is it makes it easier for new players to play the game, since they can just buy the newest expansion and have access to all the other ones before that, without requiring more money or learning a long list of expansions and how to install them in order.

You realize that the entire reason for me posting about it was because it was costing a newbie more money, in this very thread, not 5 posts up from mine, right?

It would be fine if there wasn't this deadspace before Horizons is released and people just got access to the base game by preordering. It would still be as bad of a deal for the people who already own the base game, but they wouldn't be specifically screwing over new players who weren't fully informed and wanted to play the game in the lead-up to horizons. And in any case everyone is going to be running the same version of the game, there would be no "learning how to install a long list of expansions" because it's all just digital keys to content that will be in everyone's games.

I get the point you are trying to make, but they chose a very inelegant solution, even if they weren't just trying to get more money from the existing playerbase.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

To be fair Braben used the words "week of the 9th", which is hilarious because the question was worded as "if I wanted to take some days off work when should I do that?"

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

But then I couldn't turn off the thrusters on my anaconda mid fight and pop 5 at once refilling my entire shield from nearly-empty!

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

The originally hyped hardpoints for the corvette is what it should have gotten if it's really supposed to be a combat ship, 2 c4, 3 c3, and 2 c2 is what they said first, then they made a correction the following week. It all really hinges on whether there's new C4 weapons coming with it as it is now.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

Well that's pretty fantastic, first confirmation of any sort I've seen, and they've dodged it as a direct question on previous livestreams so I wasn't holding my breath on getting them any time soon. On top of being good for all the big ships that will give the FDL an actual leg up over other comparable ships, or at least bring it in line with them.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

Voting for and posting questions for the upcoming stream here http://streamq.azurewebsites.net/

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

frank.club posted:

Please keep your godawful SC jokes to that hell thread

:agreed:

Rectus posted:

Added a question about tractor beams/harpoons. Vote it up if you like fun. :getin:

This one knows what's up.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYHJY9JZNBA Stream is live, they are showing off the asp scout as I post this so maybe they will be showing the rest as well.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I'm really hoping it will have enough jump range to be competitive with the conda as an exploration vessel. Exploration gets a hell of a lot cooler in horizons.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

Yeah, a player who knows anything about the game will at least just whip their conda around in FA-off and vaporize you in one salvo. And I don't have the exact numbers on hand, but a pvp conda is gonna have in the range of 5k-10kmj worth of shield cells packed, with anywhere from 1300 to 1800 base shields. And even in the off chance you did somehow get them to their last legs (or their shield down), they can just jump away, they don't even need to highwake, because they are in the biggest ship and you are in one of the smallest. Even a fully kitted python or clipper is gonna have a hard time out-attritioning a fully A-ranked pvp conda.

Judging what you can do to players from what is possible with npcs is extremely foolish, because while npcs can pose a threat under extreme circumstances they are still very basic, things like shooting up their powerplant and being dead in the water only happens because npcs don't have any power priority settings, for instance. Don't get me wrong it would be kind of cool if it worked the way you say, but there are so many factors that make it difficult to punch above your weight class.

e: really the way I think FDev considers ships balanced is because anything short of a type_ can just run from a conda or a python (highwaking aside). That's why ships like the clipper are considered so powerful, it's because they are as fast a fighters, but can mass-lock most of the ship s in the game.

AndroidHub fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 11, 2015

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

"- Added 'terrorist' NPC archetype"

e: "- Fix for being allowed to attack ships that have bounty before scanning them enough to see it"

!!!!!

AndroidHub fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 13, 2015

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

timn posted:

So is it just hype right now or does it really seem like the Anaconda will end up being the red-headed step child of the big 3?

It's the explorer, it's got nearly double the max range of the cutter (and still the best in the game), but yeah aside from that :v:

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

The question does still stand as to what happens if your ship meets an unfortunate end while it's still in your instance but you're not inside it.

And yeah, those changes that were posted look really great, I do kinda wish they would give the FDL's FSD an upgrade while they are at it, but then I feel like they could stand to just make all jump ranges higher. At least this upgrade sets a precedent for them to give other existing ships an upgrade.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

Probably worth waiting until they make it so that repair units work on canopies (which they said they want to do, but won't be in for 2.0) but after that, yeah, I'll probably be doing that too.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

Yeah, because FDev hate fun, and love retconning .

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

The pricing and marketing for horizons is probably the strangest thing I've seen out of a videogame ever. Between paying for beta access to an expansion and the way that buying the base game is basically a trap leading up to the horizons release, FDev have made some very strange decisions.

Honestly they should have given people with the base game a larger discount and given beta access to everyone or maybe made it some kind of special edition thing where you pay extra for something that will stay in the game forever (like a paintjob or decals) and get beta access as part of that. And really they should have just taken the base game down from the store when horizons was put up and just made it so preordering got you in, what they did just confused people who were new to the scene.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

Probably because that's where the new station that there have been 10~ CGs about building is going, I'd wager he's not the only person out there.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

No, they have said that will stick around for a while after the actual release, which is at an undisclosed date some time in December, even if they pull off another 5 week long beta period.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

Hey Zaardvark this is the public thread don't post that in here.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

Exploration is gonna get a hell of a lot more interesting/forgiving in horizons as well, with being able to fabricate more repair juice as well as them planning to allow repair units to fix canopies. Then whatever there is to survery on planets, and potentially even some backwater moon bases a few hundred/thousand light years out from the bubble. I also get the impression that it will be worthwhile to have a least a bit of cargo space for souvenirs.

Anyways, I'm going to be giving the OP some love once we get the patchnotes for the beta (since we still don't have even a rough feature list for horizons aside from what we've seen in videos/interviews), and will request a new thread name once that is done. Currently my plan is "Elite Dangerous Horizons: Gonna Die Historic on the Lunar Road" if anyone thinks they have a better title bring it forth.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

Yeah, we still don't know what most of the planet-based activities or missions will be like aside from salvaging/collecting and base assaults and even those we have just a vague impression of. Hireable npc wingmates and crewmembers are definitely on their list somewhere, we just don't have a timescale.

Crafting will be at least weapon sidegrades and customization (they talked about how we will be able to change the color of our lasers), but those are the only things we know of for sure right now. It's entirely possible that through extensive customization you'll be able to squeeze out more permanent jump range or shield capacity, but that's just speculation. I do fear that ship modifications or special weapons won't be replaced by ship insurance, which will make people even more prone to combat logging and the like, but we just don't know till we get there.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

You know, it follows that fighters will probably work the same way as long as it's a launch-capable ship.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

Yeah, this is about the best deal there is if you want to get in, get all the goodies, then preorder horizons with the discount, and by my eye you save a whole 15 cents! (maybe not if you live in Washington?)

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

One more question. What happens after I die?
I've heard there's perma-death in the game but I have no idea how it actually works.

You always have ship insurance, it's not some thing you have to go fiddle with upkeep, you pay 5% of your ship's value and get a nice shiny new one at the last station you were docked at. If you don't have the funds to do so there is a small loan you can take out up to 600k, if that's still not enough you can sell off parts from the ship until it's cheap enough. If all that fails your only option is to take a new starter sidewinder and be back at square one.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

Adult Sword Owner posted:

This should be explained in the OP, by the way

I've had it in the second post that people should post guides for a number of topics and I'll put them there, exploration is one of those things I'm not an expert on. Format it as self-contained guide and I'll quote it there.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

It's also worth noting for veterans that we are using a different irc channel than the old days, since I'm sure some people are coming back for horizons. So just double check the PGS thread.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

If you target somebody and press enter it will default to sending a direct message to them, otherwise you can cycle through people who have sent you a direct message/wing chat/local chat using tab (by default).

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

Just finished updating the op for 1.5/horizons and got a new thread title, check it out. As always suggest things that you see missing or contribute guides or w/e and I'll change/update the op as appropriate.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

My goondolences (I'm starting a new job tomorrow so I wanted to get most of the changes out of the way.)

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

The reason the board doesn't just generate missions specifically for you and your rank is that they have this daft notion that people go and wing up to run missions, and the game allows people to see and take the same missions on the board at any given time. However you still need the required rank, and you have to be pretty quick when taking the missions, because the refresh time on the boards is roughly 5 minutes.

In reality very few people do this (if any, since most don't know it's even a thing that you can do.) So the system really just leads to people being annoyed that there's all these missions the game is showing them that they can't take.

:frontear:

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I'm back from my exile in the elemental plane of mail, so tell me if there is anything that belongs in the OP regarding new stuff in horizons since I only skimmed each of the 40~ pages since I began my seasonal job at the end of November.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

That's true, but it's only like rank 5 that you need for it.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

Pranav and Avril both double fines in all systems controlled or exploited by them, yeah.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I'm officially pumped for 2.1, E:D has been missing good gamefeel for a long time, giving npcs faces and generally expanding the way missions work is just the ticket, filling out the weapons variety a bit is also one of those things that's been missing since before I started playing the game. It strikes me that they probably wanted a lot of these features (like more huge weapons to go with the new ships) in the initial release of horizons, but ran out of time to get it as a tandem release with 1.5 before the year was out.

I mostly think this is the case because Horizons really felt lackluster in terms of non-essential features and extras right at release, but the promised post-release content kept me interested.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

Whether it still works or not, I'm sure there will be bugs & exploits aplenty when 2.1 hits. Also it was back around for a month~ which is a lot longer than anyone should have really been hoping for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

The reason jump ranges seem so binary most of the time is because most of the ships with lovely jump ranges pop up to 40-50 ly range with an A-rank FSD the next class up, this really isn't the case with the corvette though. Fully stripped the corvette would cap out at 31ly range with a 7A fsd, that is with no shield or anything and all standard modules downclassed completely, it would however rest more around 15-20 ly range when actually kitted out. It really seems pretty silly that they ended up giving it a class 6 instead of a 7 FSD when you look at the numbers.

I can't theorycraft the Cutter in the same way since there are no stats for class 8 FSDs, but in any case the corvette needs an upgrade way more.

What they should probably do is increment the classes of FSDs a bit more, then adjust the allowed ship fittings to go along with it, which would allow the FDL for instance to get an upgrade without ending up with 40ly range.

• Locked thread