Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

lewtt posted:

You little bitch, no one trashes my gold painted viper skin. It's beautiful and if I could actually see it when I was flying around, I would jizz on my monitor.

Got the imperial clipper thanks to Lasagna-Duffles generous JUSTICE BOUNTIES, but this feels kinda lame for combat. I'm not sure how to take advantage of the speed other than just staying at max range and piddling away for minutes with pulses; the hull is too big to take advantage of speeding around and being hard to hit like a dedicated combat ship. With the vulture and courier I could just eternally ride the top/bottom of a python via thrusters and laser the power plant. What pro strat am I missing with the clipper?

With a good power distributor and thrusters you should be able to put half pips to eng and boost enough to stay inside a pythons turning circle so long as you stay close to its rear end and pivot at the right moments. And if you end up far off with it lining you up, you can always just joust back in behind it. I find enemy clippers and dropships trickier as they're that much more maneuverable but the same tactic should let you hammer them long enough while out of their CoF that if things change they're half dead already.

Presumably you can pull off some sort of fancy FA off moves to stay behind em all the time but I've never been able to make that work. Blingbling or Texas will know what to do there

Surprise Giraffe fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Oct 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
I got a python but I wish I'd just got clipper A shields because its so slooooow

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
How come people like the fas? It looks terrible on paper with those shields. Can it armor tank or something?

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Is the imperial cutter playable if you get the 1.5 beta? also do they make you grind for credits as usual? If that thing is clipper-fast I'm selling all my ships for one when 1.5 hits live

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
What's the cutter's top speed? is it the same as the clippers? (oh please oh)

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
From what I've read elsewhere the Cutter has a weirdly small power distributor (7). Wonder what the hell the plan is there.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
I take it the Fed. Corvette is definately better than the Imp. Cutter for combat stuff, right? Has anyone tried both

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Can you land on The Moon with the expansion?

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
How does the clipper fare under the new hull tanking regime when it is space murder time? Compared to the FAS or whatever I mean. It never could shield tank that well

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
What does a ship's hull value do? Is that armour on modules? Or some sort of damage resistance across-board?

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

BMan posted:

There is an element of luck in this, yeah. After making a half billion in Robigo, I learned some additional helpful facts about scumming the bulletin board:

- "Sticking" the missions only works for the Open bulletin board.
- When switching between Open and Solo to stick the missions, you don't have to open the bulletin board in Solo.
- Switching between Private Group and Solo repeatedly (NOT Open) generates new random missions. If there are no good missions in Open, do this instead while waiting for the missions to cycle in Open.

Oooh ok. That makes sense of some things I noticed last time. Thanks.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Does anyone know whether firing a laser turret will drain capacitor faster than an equivalent gimbal?

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Urit posted:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=140240

Turrets do use less WEP, but they don't do nearly as much damage. Never use turrets.

Thanks for that. No wonder I was running out of WEP so fast with 4 G large pulses as opposed to 4 T large pulses. I think I'd better switch one to a ballistic weapon. It's a shame burst lases are such garbage.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Urit posted:

Bursts are the middle option, so they're not really good at being forgiving/low WEP usage (pulse win) or high damage (beam win) but they can be fine if you have a lot of spare power.

I mean from the chart there it looks like bursts barely even out-DPS pulses of the equivalent size. Never mind I'm swapping a laser for a huge cannon anyways

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

BMan posted:

So, Robigo bulletin board scumming. You know how you can make missions on the open bulletin board "stick"? When the missions eventually disappear, quitting to desktop and logging back in seems to bring all those missions back. I don't know just how they managed to program this to happen, but there you go.

Also, you can just quit the high-yield instance, open another then immediately quit that and head back to the stuck high-yield one. There's no need to open the bulletin board then quit before the missions list appears.

Surprise Giraffe fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Feb 25, 2016

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Is there any real point to the cutter? other than looking nice and being the tankiest, fastest and heaviest hauler around

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
I guess my problem is that it's a really boring ship in conjunction with what's available to actually do with those features. (except take nice screenshots)

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
If you're trying to boost your rep with an outposts factions, what would be the best commodity to dump there? Would it be the one with the lowest supply?

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Clippers seem to be able to do everything the FAS can except maneuver well and be not a colossal target. I guess those are pretty important things though

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Dante80 posted:

Some videos.

2. A pretty cool canyon run Oculus Rift video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8xskNQKtW4

Thats a dk2 right?

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Europa trip report: Complete failure. Found a bunch of gold, tried to get it on space ship, ended up plummeting through planet and having to self destruct.

Make no landings there.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
As the game stands the Anaconda is apparently better in most ways, including combat (since 2xhuge hardpoints isn't actually that great)

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Tell you what, how about a Cutter with a size 8 power distributor. That would rock.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

I love the clonk as you impact.

What's the cutter like btw?

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
EDIT: never mind

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Wish they could just shove those largehuge weapons into the game already. They can change the stats later I just want that multicannon

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Nice piece of fish posted:

I think it's amazing on paper, it just looks so loving ugly.

I belive the conda and vette are on par in combat as it stands. The conda has a beefy hull tank and better dps, and I don't think it's that much less agile

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Well Brown Sea Wisdom is:

4.) wait for ship launched fighters to track them down. :downs:

So maybe?!

Are these in?

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
I'd really like a continuous boost in this game as an alternative to the f-zero style burst of speed you have to repeatedly fire off. It would be a relief not to have to hammer that button repeatedly when you're trying to speed towards a station or through a canyon etc.

Has anyone tried souping up a cutter with speed buffs? or a clipper for that matter. Imagine a 500m/s clipper...

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
So it looks like you get fines for abandoning missions at robigo now. Is there any way to counteract this so you can board skim? I'm at Elite in trading so I can take the fat missions but the fines seem as big as the profits from selling

Never mind

Surprise Giraffe fucked around with this message at 14:34 on May 8, 2016

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Frontier need to add people with anoraks and notebooks watching the ships go by in stations.

Seriously though would it take much to have dock inspectors checking you out from the landing pad buildings? Or people having picnicks in the parks inside the rich looking stations? Some sense of a populated universe would go a long way

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

so...the anaconda will still be able to out-dps the corvette? :P

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
I didn't realise, apparently you can get a cutter to go 400m/s? And give it over 7000 shield

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Its just unkown artifacts at robigo right? How much damage do they actually do?

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

I love the part at the end where it's just pissing plama into the wreckage for good measure

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
As horrible as they must be to come up against, those bugged weapons look/sound awesome

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Modded clippers look glorious. 500m/s boost, 1.6k shields, 900 armour and big capacitor/pg boosts, that's gotta be a beast. I imagine you can do much the same/better with FAS/FDL

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

King of Cheeses posted:

There's also a new mission mechanic which is paying way too much and could be a result of Ceos and Sothis being close, but also far out in the bubble. Its a cargo mission, usually to transport illicit goods. Its a "we'll tell you where to deliver to when you arrive in system X" type mission, but with no other systems even remotely close to Ceos and Sothis its a no-brainer. It goes like this:

1. take mission in Ceos, travel to Sothis (1 jump)
2. immediately you get instructions to deliver to the local station
3. collect 7 - 8 million!

I've had this mission twice. 7 - 8 million for 10 minutes gameplay.

that's pre-2.1 board skimming money! yaay

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
I actually like the travel aspect of elite in a way, it makes the galaxy seem appropriately huge, but it definately needs to be more profitable in fun/spacebux and/or for there to be a more instant gratification alternative available when you log in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
That isnt a linear throttle though is it?

• Locked thread