Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Main Paineframe posted:

is there any point in playing Open besides "getting blown up by players in addition to NPC pirates"?

The ability to encounter humans and have a good experience? I have not seen one single pirate player since leaving the starting system cluster, they stay where the easy pickings are. In at least a hundred hours played, some of which were power play, I've still not been murdered by a player. It just isn't a real concern outside of community goals, imo. Even then, when interdicted, just put pips to shields and high wake out

I've only run into a small handful of people in ED and it's been a magical unicorn type encounter every time, most of them are still on my friends list. Space is so mind bogglingly big that unless you deliberately stay in populated areas, meeting other players will be rare, even in the bubble. You stand to miss out on some rad times by hiding in solo, and for what? Replacing a blown up ship costs pennies on the space dollar... aside from cargo loss (and the 60% rule applies in solo too), death is pretty meaningless. My advice is to get the gently caress out of the starting area as fast as possible, and at least try Open. The only people I know who play exclusively Solo are the ones who never left it

Edit: riddled with loving errors

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Feb 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

timn posted:

Say that again the next time you're stuck in witchspace for 45 seconds on every single jump because the servers are making GBS threads bricks. Or the next time the servers are down completely during the one evening that week you actually have to play.

Okay. I'm not a manchild pissbaby who throws a tantrum over network issues though.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Okay. I'm not a manchild pissbaby who throws a tantrum over network issues though.

That's true, you only throw a tantrum about PVP.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Astroniomix posted:

That's true, you only throw a tantrum about PVP.

:allears:

Man you are all sorts of mad aren't you?

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Irrationally

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

You are the Smiling Dog Crew of this thread.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

:nallears:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

:yarg:

e: what's a good low-tier ship to mine in?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

SciFiDownBeat posted:

:yarg:

e: what's a good low-tier ship to mine in?

Cobra IV or a Type 6.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

I recommend the cobra 4 as that's literally its highest and best purpose. Someone give the poor thing a spin, I feel bad for it

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

I recommend the cobra 4 as that's literally its highest and best purpose. Someone give the poor thing a spin, I feel bad for it

I tried ages ago and never again.

Sometimes I think "maybe I can just use it as an explorer full of auto repair units or something?". Then I remember the jump range and get sad.

It's not poo poo as such so much as it is a very misleading ship. You think you're getting a cool multipurpose ship like the Mk III but instead you're getting a Keelback.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

tooterfish posted:

Automatic escape pods. They're not implemented yet though, so you'll just have to use your imagination.

There's also supposed to be an ironman (i.e. permadeath) mode. To survive destruction you'd have to activate your escape pod manually. The pod would be like any other fitting on your ship, as in if it gets damaged it can malfunction, so if you leave it too late you die.

Its funny because in the Elite books Escape Pods are stated flat-out to be immune to conventional weapons, requiring some sort of expensive bomb/missile to destroy.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Annath posted:

Its funny because in the Elite books Escape Pods are stated flat-out to be immune to conventional weapons, requiring some sort of expensive bomb/missile to destroy.

Why don't they just make the whole plane out of the black box material

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Bilal posted:

They do but the panels are hammered together with cheap nails rivets by child labor.

Totally rivets. Gutamaya uses only the finest quality bottom dollar space rivets hammered in by only the most starving of child labourers.

Hunger keeps them productive! :byodood:

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Feb 23, 2016

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

DancingShade posted:

I tried ages ago and never again.

Sometimes I think "maybe I can just use it as an explorer full of auto repair units or something?". Then I remember the jump range and get sad.

It's not poo poo as such so much as it is a very misleading ship. You think you're getting a cool multipurpose ship like the Mk III but instead you're getting a Keelback.

It makes a pretty decent ground-attack lander. I mean, pretty much everything else is too, but it's got style? It is garbage in space though, can't maneuver for poo poo.

mpyro
Feb 9, 2003

'Cause I live and breathe this Fillydelphia freedom
Turns out you can land at a angle on planets.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
Then what's the upgrade from the noobship to a general purpose ship? Cobra?

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

RattiRatto posted:

That it is: the Cobra mk.3 is the first multipurpose ship that allows you to do comfortably do whatever you want while still being able to outfit it for specialized roles and do well there as well.

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."
Anyone got any good corvette builds they can share? I lucked out in Robigo and got an couple of 100+ slave missions stuck on a loop in the BB for over an hour last night so I'm now stupidly rich and want to blow it on something big. Just need to go do some donation missions for my last couple of federal ranks then I should be able to afford a decently fit corvette, hopefully from somewhere with a nice discount.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

radintorov posted:

That it is: the Cobra mk.3 is the first multipurpose ship that allows you to do comfortably do whatever you want while still being able to outfit it for specialized roles and do well there as well.

Cobra III is a great multirole ship for doing everything, but not the first after noob sidewinder. Adder will be your first affordable multirole ship. Depending on how you choose to outfit it it makes a more than capable trader, fighter, or explorer. It was my first ship after the sidewinder and I spent a very long time in it enjoying it the whole time. You'll find people complain about it's cockpit view, but that's it charm to me. It's a space RV with a great space RV cockpit.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Natsuumi posted:

Cobra III is a great multirole ship for doing everything, but not the first after noob sidewinder. Adder will be your first affordable multirole ship. Depending on how you choose to outfit it it makes a more than capable trader, fighter, or explorer. It was my first ship after the sidewinder and I spent a very long time in it enjoying it the whole time. You'll find people complain about it's cockpit view, but that's it charm to me. It's a space RV with a great space RV cockpit.
For some reason that I can't quite understand now, I assumed he wasn't still in the Sidewinder. :downs:
But yeah, the Adder (aka the mini-Cobra) is the ship to upgrade to for a general purpose craft.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Anybody have good suggestions for systems with decent RES for bounty hunting? Using a Viper MkIV so ideally nothing too crazy.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Natsuumi posted:

Adder will be your first affordable multirole ship.
Actually, it's the Eagle.

It's faster, more manoeuvrable, carries more weapons than the Sidewinder. Has longer base jump range.

If you stick with the class 3 shields it carries the same amount of cargo. If you downgrade the shields to class 2, it can carry 50% more cargo while still having the same base shields. The Sidewinder has more armour, but you really should be running as soon as your shields look like giving out in either ship anyway.

It's an all around straight upgrade, and it only costs half as much as the Adder, so you can get into it a lot sooner.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Spanish Manlove posted:

Anybody have good suggestions for systems with decent RES for bounty hunting? Using a Viper MkIV so ideally nothing too crazy.

Ix Chakan (Closest) , Xihe (best fitting, RES at a dwarf so its a little hot), and Skinfaxi are all very close to Capricorni and good hunting spots. If you need a bounty buddy just yell in discord.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

RattiRatto posted:

Your first upgrade would be Adder. Still cheap and you just get enough internal slots to do anything but not yet very efficiently. Eagle and ImpEagle are dedicated fast courrier/mission runner/ bounty hunting ships. I would not recommand taking an Adder to combat in a conflict zone or a Ressource Extraction Site (RES) other than a (low) one. Its fine for bounty hunting at Nav beacons with the help of Space Cops but not much more.

Remember to put at least one (ideally more) armor reinforcement internal before heading out to combat. It will double your hull HP and give you the time to GTFO if things turn sour. Also measure the ammount of time you have to travel from your hunting ground to the closest STATION (not an outpost, the one you have to go trough a mailslot to get inside) because if that time is longer than your o2 life support, you need a better life support or another hunting ground.

Its not if your canopy get broken in combat, its when.

aleksendr fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Feb 23, 2016

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Boogalo posted:

Ix Chakan (Closest) , Xihe (best fitting, RES at a dwarf so its a little hot), and Skinfaxi are all very close to Capricorni and good hunting spots. If you need a bounty buddy just yell in discord.

Awesome, thanks. I've been putzing around in Qa'wakana which is pretty much Capricorni's neighbor and I just wanted to try something else.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Bilal posted:

Well, an Adder filled with nothing but Hull Reinforcement package and military grade armor has 6.5 time its base HP. Not black box tough but still a wide improvement.

Apparently filling your ship with empty space for cargo, fuel and fragile electronics make it less sturdy.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Does anyone know whether firing a laser turret will drain capacitor faster than an equivalent gimbal?

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Does anyone know whether firing a laser turret will drain capacitor faster than an equivalent gimbal?

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=140240

Turrets do use less WEP, but they don't do nearly as much damage. Never use turrets.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Urit posted:

Turrets do use less WEP, but they don't do nearly as much damage. Never use turrets.

For pirating purposes I like to use a silent running eagle with a turreted beam laser on top and two missile launchers on the bottom. That way I can put 4 pips in engines and 2 in weapons and never lose any capacitor. It works very well. The highlight so far was blowing up a cobra 3 while a Corvette was throwing pot shots at me.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Urit posted:

Thanks for that. No wonder I was running out of WEP so fast with 4 G large pulses as opposed to 4 T large pulses. I think I'd better switch one to a ballistic weapon. It's a shame burst lases are such garbage.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Are there any trap options for ship weapons a new player should know about? I've just been using beams and multicannons and kinda want to try something else for fun.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
Oh baby, I've been wanting get back into this game pretty drat badly.

Is there a pretty consistent goon squad? I got a clipper but lost interest.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Spanish Manlove posted:

Are there any trap options for ship weapons a new player should know about? I've just been using beams and multicannons and kinda want to try something else for fun.

Missiles are currently kinda poo poo for the cost and how little ammo they hold vs damage dealt, even against unshielded hulls. Plasmas and railguns are actually great weapons but they're fixed only and if you're not hitting, you're wasting a LOT of money for a newbie. Apart from that, every weapon has its quirks and you can sell them for full price so no harm in experimenting.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Spanish Manlove posted:

Missiles and mines are both terrible. Rail guns are insanely fun if you don't need a ton of ammo for what you're doing, plasma accelerators are a good middle ground if you do

Edit: I should disclaimer this that most people prefer PAs. But as someone who mostly uses gimballed weapons I personally found the rail guns way easier to line up shots with. The charge up time is easier for me to amount for than projectile drift, and the zzzzzZTHOOOM that accompanies a huge chunk of their hp being evaporated never gets old.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Feb 23, 2016

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

TorakFade posted:

sell them for full price so no harm in experimenting.

Hell yes that's good news. Thank you.

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

Spanish Manlove posted:

Yes. Time for a :spergin: dump.

Missiles/mines/torpedos are trash outside of very specialized gimmick fits. Cannons are the worst ballistic because travel time is awful with them and the gimbaled ones can't keep on target well. Turrets of any kind do ~50% less damage than fixed, gimbaled do ~25% less (varies based on weapon). Save them for gimmick fits like Mike the TV's Iggle.

Your "safest" (most reliable, most predictable, easiest to use, most forgiving) weapon combo will be pulses (fixed or gimbaled, your choice) with gimbaled multicannons (since you can then keep both sets of weapons firing at once). You may go to sleep using them though. Frag cannons are REALLY good if you like to stay at facefuck ranges and use space shotguns, try them out if you have a maneuverable ship and like to stay close.

Also, more undocumented fun: A weapon does the same damage to the same sized shield (e.g. a small pulse will do the same damage to an Anaconda's shield as a Cobra's, the Anaconda just has more HP. However, this is not the case for guns. A gun has a "size" value and a ship has a "hardness" value (see: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=224474 ) and a small gun will do less damage to a bigger ship based on the "hardness" of the ship. Cannons hit 1 size class "above" their normal size (that is, a small cannon acts as a medium gun). AFAIK, cannons are the only thing that hits 1 size "up".

Railguns penetrate through the entire hull of the target, hitting all modules that they cross along the way. Module damage is subtracted from hull damage. Also railguns only have 31 shots of ammo. Railguns are the only thing that do this.

Shield Cell Banks are crap on small ships and really good on big ships: https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/3vtk7d/14_vs_20_scb_strength_results_chargecell_in_mj/

Bi-weave shields have 20% less HP than a class A normal shield generator of the same size, but recharge 1.5x faster. The other downside is they suck 1.5x as much power from your Power Distributor's SYS capacitor. Shields all recharge at the same rate while up (1.0MJ/s for normal/prismatic, 1.5MJ/s for bi-weave) regardless of how much shield HP total you have. Shield Boosters increase your total but do not increase regen. However, if your shield is down, it takes a certain amount of time to come back up - the time taken is how long it takes to get to 50% capacity. Turn off your boosters if you have them when your shield goes down, it lowers the 50% threshold to an unboosted value, which means they come up sooner, then you can turn on boosters to raise your maximum (though not your current HP) back up.

Weapons do less damage at longer ranges: http://nosuchwebpage.com/index.php?lan=EN&post_id=195

Hull mass (NOT total mass!) in relation to the "Optimal Mass" of a shield generator affects how much shield HP you get. This is why a Cobra Mk 3 (180T hull vs 285T optimal on a 4A shield gen) has worse shields than a Viper mk 3 (85T hull mass vs 165T optimal on a 3A Generator). However, Total Mass (NOT hull mass!) vs the Optimal of thrusters affects your thruster efficiency (turn rate, max speed, etc.) Total Mass also affects jump range.

Use http://coriolis.io/ to play around with fits.

Endbuster posted:

Oh baby, I've been wanting get back into this game pretty drat badly.

Is there a pretty consistent goon squad? I got a clipper but lost interest.

There are lots of goons, check the PGS thread in the OP.

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Thanks for that. No wonder I was running out of WEP so fast with 4 G large pulses as opposed to 4 T large pulses. I think I'd better switch one to a ballistic weapon. It's a shame burst lases are such garbage.

Bursts are the middle option, so they're not really good at being forgiving/low WEP usage (pulse win) or high damage (beam win) but they can be fine if you have a lot of spare power.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Spanish Manlove posted:

Hell yes that's good news. Thank you.

To expand on that, every module you can put in your ship can be sold back for 100% of its price so don't feel bad about buying expensive stuff. Just make sure you have enough cash handy for a couple rebuys, fuel and ammo and you can spend the rest.

The ships itself only fetch 90% of their list price back though, and that applies to every module in it at the time of resale, so if you want to switch ships sell off / downgrade all modules first to save money.

Also remember that some stuff can be scarce and you can't store anything, so don't sell a large gimbaled laser beam if you think you'll want it again soon and are not sure where to find it!

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Feb 23, 2016

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Yeah it is kinda annoying to have to go hopping from station to station to find upgrades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

Spanish Manlove posted:

Yeah it is kinda annoying to have to go hopping from station to station to find upgrades.

https://eddb.io/system to find parts.

Or just go to LHS 20. It has almost everything for modules, and all ships are 1-2 jumps away. Also everything is a 15% discount since it's a Yongmart.

Edit: Oh, I also forgot the most important undocumented fact: putting pips in SYS gives your shields more damage resistance: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=138536

Urit fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 23, 2016

• Locked thread