Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Yes he rules, and his videos rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Is there any way to shut up the cockpit voice over? I toggle Flight Assist on and off all the time in combat (sweet spins) and I don't need the DING FLIGHT ASSIST ON DING FLIGHT ASSIST OFF DING FLIGHT ASSIST ON the entire time. I'm fine with the sound but the voiceover is just unnecessary. Did they not think people would do this in combat?

Yes, you can turn off the specific FA voice over in the audio settings, or be like me and mute the voice entirely. It actually feels way more immersive (more BSG than Star Trek), and the voice is unnecessary after figuring out the game.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

TorakFade posted:

If the Cutter will be the Empire's Python equivalent, :fap:

Get ready to grind rep

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

DarthBlingBling posted:

The people want the Panther Clipper, and it better be able to store ships and not some watered down 1000 cargo juggernaut!

Well a Sidewinder is 25 tons, so you should totally be able to store and move around a bunch of small ships.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
An oblong silicate metal planet one hundredth of an AU from it's star.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

AndroidHub posted:

MULTICREW

MULTICREW

MULTICREW

E:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Em7TLwFifE

E:BOBBLEHEADS

PILOT FACES

FIGHTER LAUNCHING

COMBAT AUTOPILOT

AAAAAAAAAA

(I'll try and put a summary together once the vod is up.)

Holy gently caress

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

LCL-Dead posted:

Nobody?

I mean.. Anyone who back during the Beta is going to be into the larger and more expensive tier of ships by this point in the game unless they never play. So why the hell would you reward a single Viper when the original offer was for 'one of three ships'?

Well, you get one of three ships. They never said that you get an option, or what the three ships were. Working as intended. :colbert:

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

AndroidHub posted:

Well, they didn't mention it specifically, but multicrew basically confirms ship naming. I'm wondering how it will work when one member of a crew is wanted before joing a ship that isn't wanted. And what will happen if you're in an SRV/Fightercraft with no FSD and your mothership gets blown up (or just wanders away/logs off.)

I get the feeling it will end up being a "you teleport onto the ship when joining a crew" sort of deal, because I don't see how they could overcome these sorts of things otherwise.

e: Also there's the question of how rewards and such will be split or if only the ship owner will be rewarded for stuff (which I think is unlikely but we are talking about :frontear: here.)

They've talked before that they want reputation to be more ship-specific so that a bounty would follow a ship and not necessarily a player (at least before a bounty scan, I imagine). Think of buying a really good price anaconda because the seller needed it gone fast, but it means you'll be hunted down for a while.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

FronzelNeekburm posted:

No.

Yes, that's as cheap as you're going to get it. However, they're about to launch their first expansion pack in a few months, to which buying the cheap version of the base game now will not grant you access. Consult their flowchart to decide how you want to proceed:

If someone already had ED and then bought the lifetime expansion pass when it was available, would they have an extra copy of the ED base game to give to a friend?

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
I upgraded to an X52pro and I really like it so far, but it would be sweet as hell if popping the safe switch just auto deployed my hardpoints instead of having to press the red button too. Is there any way for that to happen?

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Lima posted:

The game engine would have to model a lot of physics acurately to be able to generate that procedually, such as magnetic fields and uh, gravity.

It already can generate rings, so there's no reason it can't do it on a larger scale for accretion disks. The only new thing it would have to do is distort local in-system items (such as the accretion disk or other stars). Once that's done it'd look pretty much just like Interstellar.

Beyond that, it'd be cool if they could model plasma flow between two close stars.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
I bought an $11 google cardboard off Amazon Prime just to dick around with it. Anyway, I got it all set up and decided to try it out with Elite, because I've been dying to try VR for a long time and I can't wait to buy a Vive in a few months.

Holy poo poo

Wow.

The resolution is crap so I can't read half the text, but it's otherwise SO. INCREDIBLY. IMMERSIVE. I love it!

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Yes and Elite works with it almost entirely perfectly.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

EdEddnEddy posted:

Wait you lost me, how are you getting elite to play on your phone and offer VR/Tracking/ETC to your phone? Or are you just streaming the video in 3D and viewing it on the Phone?

I'm using an app called Trinus on my pc and phone that send video (from Elite) to my phone while using Cardboard and then translates movement into head tracking for Elite.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

TorakFade posted:

Played a bit of CQC, very nice. I can kill people pretty good, but my k/d ratio is horrible ; once someone starts shooting at me I can't shake them. Any advice besides get good?

If you're in the condor then put full pips in engines at all times unless you're shooting at someone and can spare some speed for firepower. Zoom and strafe and go fast like sonic at all times. Stay close to cover. Never go in the open, that's where sidewinder does best. And use power ups. Like nonstop. Just keep going back for power ups.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

chaosapiant posted:

What's the consensus on reverse throttle controls on a HOTAS? I'm currently using my X52 as a full range forward throttle, with a reverse toggle button for reverse thrusters. Looking at Youtube vids of folks mastering FA mode makes me think that having throttle forward/half reverse might be better, as well as free up the toggle button for something else. I hope these words make sense to space nerds.

I started out with a THRUSTMASTER HOTAS X and upgraded to a 52pro, so it was a no brainer for me set my new throttle up as a forward/reverse because that's how my old one was. It makes CQC a lot easier because you can do reverse barrel rolls with FA off really fast and feel like a badass (especially if you thrust vertically at the same time). The only issue I have is the X52 has no friction in the middle, so I just set up a small dead-zone of about 8% and my brain figured out pretty fast where the throttle equals zero. It's actually kind of cool because the little friction click it does at high speeds (both forward and reverse) are now exactly where the blue ends in my velocity, so I know exactly where my best maneuverability is.

I hope that was enough nerd-talk and helped you out a bit.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

chaosapiant posted:

So I played around last night with this method of control and...I dunno. I don't like it. It might take getting used to because I keep throwing myself into reverse, or lurching forward from the pad when trying to lift off because my throttle is ever so slightly forward. I didn't edit the deadzone though, but it still feels unnatural as a whole.

Well yeah just edit the dead zone. It's super easy to change in the game settings.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Kryopsis posted:

CQC is a blast to play, especially on the asteroid maps where you can shake pursuers off or, appear out of nowhere behind an unshielded craft and unload your guns before the pilot even realizes what's going on. Shame the payout is so meagre. I got a flawless match just now where I ended with 7 kills and 1 assist without dying and... it's just not worth it, financially :(

Supposedly the payout is better if you prestige a few times. That'd take forever of course, but you could just have fun until then I guess. I am curious what the top level payout is though. Like are we talking 100k or more?

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Crimson Harvest posted:

Can't get into the game, trying to start gives me an unable to load commander data error, anyone else see this?

Yes me too. At the exact moment when I was selling a whole bunch of slaves.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Procedural generation means all of the worlds will be generated with the same algorithm though, I can safely judge based on this one because every hilly plains world will look exactly like that, maybe with a cave or two.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
Besides the Bacon City CG there is also a rares smuggling CG in Noti. It's not great pay to actually smuggle the items, but the CG might have decent payout. If you have a high jump range it could be worth it to get it up a few tiers.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Sekenr posted:

CQC players: Whats your opinion on plasma repeaters? Yes or no? I can't make up my mind, damage is great but it doesn't seem to be useful at any kind of distance.

I love them because you only need one pip in weapons to kill a dude with them, freeing your distribution to full engines. Combined with a firepower upgrade they can kill a fully shielded eagle or condor in one pass.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
I smuggled to an outpost and an f61 condor was guarding it. Luckily I was in a DBE which has almost no heat signature so he didn't scan me.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

FronzelNeekburm posted:

It seems like stations that are farther away or less frequented now bump the rewards up to entice people to take them. Sothis is the farthest station, so it can generate some ridiculous payouts, depending on your ranks and local faction standing.

That said, they seem to have loosened the restrictions on missions in general, so you don't have to go there. It's just very efficient for Asps and other long-range pilots.

On a personal note, I've been grinding away for ages to get over 100 million credits. I had been stuck at the 60-70mil range for a very long time. Sothis just netted me ~25mil for two trips. :)

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

84 million credits and an 8 ly jump range.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Voyager I posted:

Without those I'd probably be in a D-fit Vulture at best.

I legit got myself to an a rated viper. If it wasn't for the vulture price drop I'd still be there.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Sard posted:

Once you have an upgraded Type 9, can't you just ship actual poo poo- biowaste- on short trips and still turn out enough to buy a new minor ship per run?

On a good trade route you can make 2mil per trip in a T9. A couple trips and you have an A-class Vulture. It'd take 500 trips to reach a billion.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

I just wish I could have gotten a few runs in, only was able to pull off 2

Stupid real life

Stupid friends

I am in the same boat. If I didn't have friends or family I'd be $100 million credits richer!

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Chrysophylax posted:

Shield cell banks are dumb but they're a symptom of the problem instead of the cause, IMO.

The cause is that multirole ships, especially the larger ones, often have less shielding than ships with 1/10th the volume. The only way to bridge this gulf is by allowing these ships to recharge their shields mid-flight with their bountiful cell banks.

If you limit them to one per ship or remove them entirely, you'll pretty much stop seeing things larger than Vultures or Couriers in PVP.

A real fix would be to just give the larger ships a ton more shields, or rework recharge rates, possibly both.

Yeah, I think the best solution is that larger shield size -> sturdier shields. Also, make it so damage isn't nerfed depending on the size of your opponent. Really, the way they went about it is about as backwards as I can imagine (Shields are all basically the same or worse on big ships, but little weapons do less damage to big ships) :frontear:

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Sard posted:

Got a question here about CZs:

I want to increase my standing with the Federation. I just found a conflict zone featuring two parties both affiliated with the Federation. If I choose to blow up one Federation-affiliated ship on behalf of an opposing Federation-affiliated ship, will my net Federal standings change be negative? Does it affect it at all? Also, if I get a bulletin board mission to kill civilians, can I satisfy that in a conflict zone featuring an independent faction?

Your federation rank never goes down, but your standing can. So you can go from allied to neutral but still get naval progression missions. I'm pretty sure getting involved in a fed vs fed battle will lower your standing. Of course running a few missions would just raise it back up. I don't think independents in CZs count as civilians.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
Just like bounty, factions literally do not matter at all. You can get as emotionally attached as you want and cry on the frontier forums about how you accidentally got a 100 credit bounty in your home system and now the game is ruined, or you can fly to the next system. If your pet faction tanks... Who cares? Once your aggressors back off, feel free to fix that factions influence. If somebody in solo tanks your pet station's economy, why cry about it? It'll bounce back within a few days. One of the major unchanging points of this game is that there will never be played owned stations or territories, which means that we only have a minor influence on what happens. There's an op by the diamond frogs right now to tank someone else's group. It's working and that's cool. But in a few weeks they'll have it back up where they want it and that's cool too.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Thrustmaster HOTAS X is like 40-50 bucks and a very solid product. I recommend that.

I've had both the Thrustmaster HOTAS X and the X52 Pro and I like them both. The X52 is the same as the one in the ship so once I get a Vive or Oculus it'll really help MY IMMERSION. However, the THX is also amazing because despite the low price it's really durable and the throttle clicks in the middle just perfectly (obviously great for Elite). Isinona also uses the THX which sells it for me- watch a video here to see how much a pro this guy is -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLXzEQyacMw

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

So fill me in why I should be impressed

* slams into asteroids
* Says SR should break scan locks (I don't think it does?)
* Not even clear on the entire point of the video.

Oh, it's cool because he does it all with Flight Assist off, which is hard to do. I don't think anyone here could fly as well as him with FA off, but maybe you can. It's assumed that it would take a lot of skill, so it's cool to know what tool he uses to get the results, that are to me, impressive.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
So, stupid question. With trackir you move your head to change perspective, but obviously you still have to look at your screen, so doesn't that feel unnatural? Like you're constantly looking out the corner of your eyes.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Turtle Dad 420 posted:

So... After quite some time away from the game I started playing again.

Today after getting a little too cocky bounty hunting in a HazRes with my Clipper I got my rear end roasted. Had to take out the loan for the insurance since I didn't have that much when I started playing again.

Went to a HiRes to do some more hunting with the hope of having some space police serve as a distraction so my glaring incompetence doesn't get me killed again.

On my first target a security Anaconda flies into my lasers and I get tagged for assaulting, he and his buddies hosed me up royally, I escaped, but my life support is leaking, and of course I only had the lovely five minute one installed. Just as I'm about to make it to the station I get interdicted by some shitlord, and got dragged off course enough that I couldn't make it to the station in time. Cant pay for any of this loan and forced me to take the sidewinder.

So am I now stuck in this little shitbox being a space poor again?

That's a whole lot of bad decisions in a row, bud. Yes you are a space poor now. The good news is that making money is a lot easier these days.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Astroniomix posted:

I'm well aware of how large ED ships are, but that's still not a whole ton of area to cram a space car into, once you consider the fact that you have maybe half that volume to work with.

I was exaggerating with the "not much larger" comment obviously, but that's still a tight squeeze.

I also take all this to mean the SRV will get dumped out of the cargo hatch in a cube and unfold from there, and then the 84er's will complain that we don't have to assemble it ourselves every time we deploy it.

Eh, the Sidewinder can hold a 4 ton storage box, and I imagine the SRV could fit in that. I agree that it'll unfold, which is neat. It's like taking a big camper with a little electric car in tow.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Libluini posted:

Sweet, this means I better make it back before the 24th, so I can use the beta-access I bought when pre-ordering Horizons.

Beta usually uses an old version of the universe, so you might get back only to realize you're still out in the black in beta. Do whatever you want to do for now and when the beta drops just self destruct back to civilization and buy everything for a fraction of what it costs in the main game.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
It'd be cool if you could raise system population by trading food and wine and slaves.

And lower it by causing civil war. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

That base :eek:

• Locked thread