Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Distress call signal sources are cool. Saving NPCs feels good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
I encountered a bug where my stored ships do not appear, so I can't sell my T9 to try out the new big ships. On the official forums there are lots of people with this issue. I hope it gets fixed soon!

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Cutter can hold over 700T of cargo and make ~15LY a jump laden.

So long Anaconda :byewhore:

Holy gently caress

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
I have access to all the betas but I only ever dick around in them for a few hours, then go back to the real game because the betas don't mean dick

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Sekenr posted:

I get that this is all industrial facilities and realistic landscape but give me some space wonders to gawk at instead of shipping containers, Frontier!

The shipping containers are for future FPS cover mechanics. Can't wait until we have characters who can hide behind crates.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

ManicJason posted:

Those Lakon freighters are hilarious. I briefly had a Type-9 before I could afford an Anaconda. That thing started melting itself with alarms blazing for every single jump. If you overshot the station in supercruise, it was almost faster to high wake out and back in than to turn that cow around.

I have a lovely-fitted Type-9 and I almost never get the heat alarms and I boost nonstop. Maybe they changed it since you last flew one or you had an extra small power distributor or something.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
Protip: deploying the cargo scoop makes you slow down faster.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Adult Sword Owner posted:

I know that it's not science and it can be handwaved with "it doesn't follow physics" but usually things don't slow down when going INTO a gravity well

It has to do with the drives, which work by compressing space in front and behind your ship. Gravity makes the drive less efficient so you slow down when in gravity wells.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

LCL-Dead posted:

I really don't want to sound like an elitist or someshit but how do you guys even go about considering AMD cards given the amount of problems they have across dozens of new, shiny games every year?

I was running 2x 560 Ti's in SLI when I bought ED and was seriously considering moving up to like a 290/390 or something until I did some research on how well AMD as a whole performed.

It's cheaper, yeah, but that's just inviting way too many potential issues in.

:agreed: there's a way it's meant to be played. :fistbump: :brofive:

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
64 bit also locks out macs as a platform, so the small percentage of Mac users who play Elite would be poo poo out of luck if the base game upgraded to 64. And the rest of us on PCs would see virtually no discernable difference.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

YellerBill posted:

Steam's downloading the update, apparently. It might just be 1.5 and not Horizons, but we'll see I guess.

It's just 1.5. Also, the season 1 launcher has yellow. The season 2 launcher has blue.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
i keep getting a MSVCR110.dll error when trying to run horizons for the first time :(

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
What's the coolest planet you've found so far?

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
I need help making a custom key binds. I have an x52 Pro that I've been using for a year, but using it to drive on planets is a real chore. I have an xbox controller I want to use for that purpose, but I have some questions. First of all, is there a button to clear a key bind? Second of all, why can't I set up the xbox controller triggers to be accelerate and reverse? I tried out the xbox binding that's available while on the planet, and it works great! But when I tried to copy that over into my x52 settings, the triggers 'stick' to a speed which is a very annoying way to drive instead of 'letting go' and coasting to a stop. Is this a setting outside of the driving section that I'm not seeing?

I love that they put a million settings for you to fiddle with, but man is it a headache.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

DarthBlingBling posted:

Yup. Since release last year the game has been perfect and each point release has just added to this perfection.

I unironically agree.

Angrymog posted:

They really need to start adding tabs to the control configuration page

Dear god yes

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

drat

I am not a fan of the SRV's completely awful radar thing, but maybe I just find really annoying planets

Find the most flat parts of flat planets possible to find materials.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
Pilots federation rules mandate that you shave your head. You gonna sell your spaceship or shave your head? Your choice. If you choose a character with long hair it's a text box and then game over.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Flipswitch posted:

So how is the Asp Scout? It looks cool but is it actually worth it as a babbies first explorer?

It's like a DBE, but with better internals. Honestly it's my new favorite ship.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Probably Hauler/Adder -> Cobra Mk3 -> Lakon Type-6 -> Imperial Cutter (Clipper? I can't even remember now, the smaller one).

I went Type 6 -> Type 7 -> Type 9 -> Killed myself and my parents, but that's just me.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
I'm going to be playing CQC today for a few hours around 2PM EST (7PM GMT) and every time I get killed I'm donating a dollar to SETI. Come kill me if you can.

reddit link

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Mike the TV posted:

I'm going to be playing CQC today for a few hours around 2PM EST (7PM GMT) and every time I get killed I'm donating a dollar to SETI. Come kill me if you can.

reddit link

Update: tried to test out CQC and I couldn't get a single game. Stuck in matchmaking hell. Please join me at 2pm est so I can play a game of CQC.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Mike the TV posted:

reddit link

update: starting up the game again and getting ready for some CQC! Starting at 2pm any kills on me counts towards how much I donate. I'm CMDR Meeklo Braca and I'm bad at this game.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Amethyst posted:

I have a basic discovery scanner and have flown around all of the gas giants, and found nothing. do I just need to upgrade my scanner?

It's possible there's another star and system a few light minutes away that your basic scanner cannot find, as it can only find things within 500 LS

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Angrymog posted:

I'm kind of poo poo, but I couldn't imagine playing this without at least a single joystick and having a full HOTAS is just gravy.

Though I was wondering if someone could give advice - the throttle on my X52-pro is bouncing back from something at full forward. It doesn't do it all the time, but mostly, and it's very annoying. I've tried fiddling with the force dial on the side but it doesn't do anything to adjust whatever its hitting inside. Is it time to take a screwdriver to the throttle and have a look inside?

I would assume the tangled mess of wires inside is catching and creating tension. Please open it up and show me what's inside mine.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
So the Data Scanner is just straight up broken for me. I set a key for it, turned on fire to deploy hardpoints (which I hate), have it set for secondary fire in the fire group panel, and try to use it in turret mode.

Nothing.

Fun.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Xtanstic posted:

Wait what? Thargoid poo poo is actually gonna happen and isn't just a dumb meme?

The Thargoids have been in the Elite games before. Right now it's a little like if there was a new Mario game with no Goombas.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
I bought the FDL and I love it. I'm working my way to GREEN SHIELDS, but I was wondering what pro load outs I could try, besides the obvious huge plasma accelerator and four multicannons.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Shine posted:

Folks in Mumble have been jacking it to four C2 railguns and whatever else in the C4 slot.

Haha, I'll try that and if I like it I'll try to get the Imperial Hammer!

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
It's way cooler to speed past the star than it is to cut your throttle.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Something like this makes me want to ditch the Clipper

I love ramming but sometimes I just want to shred a target with a big laser and space shotguns

Join the Fer De Lance club. Four railguns and a huge plasma accelerator.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
Tell his lazy rear end to get back to work.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
Ever since Horizons I'll occasionally be playing for an hour or so and the textures will get really really bad. It kind of feels like playing TIE Fighter. I've heard that maybe it's because my graphics card 'only' has 2gb memory and Horizons will use over 4 if you let it. It doesn't happen on planets though, so I'm skeptical. I have an R9 270x and I've been able to play on custom ultra settings previously (actually play ultra on all games including Witcher 3 with hairworks off lol). Anyway, here's a funny picture of what I mean:

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
Glad I'm not the only one! Yay for supercruise slowdowns and broken textures! :confuoot:

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
My friend and I both hauled 16 tons of fireworks to Cherets. He did his first, and I followed about 30 minutes later. However, I'm in the tier above him for some reason. I guess Braben likes me more!

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
I tried out a Robigo run and kept getting interdicted the same instant I would drop into the new system. Almost ever jump. I guess I can try again. :smith:

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
Elite is a good game and is fun to play.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

RVProfootballer posted:

I'm not a space game grognard and only just looked at the Star Citizen thread because I bought Elite and have had fun with it so far... Pretty happy with Elite so far, ha. Calling Elite an alpha or even beta is dumb, when it's clearly a complete but shallow game. No one denies that, I don't think. But I'm going to keep playing it til I get bored, stop playing, and probably try it again sometime down the road if/when more stuff gets added and fleshed out.

:agreed:

Also I'm excited for future updates, not upset that they are not out yet.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Shine posted:

You basically nailed it. Powerplay would be good if it wasn't such a massive grind requiring excessive commitment to build and maintain rep. It would improve PP immensely if they slashed the requirements by a large percentage and reduced the decay.

:agreed: and they can nerf the paycheck for all I care. Make the bonuses and special items better and remove most of the decay and I'd be happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

TorakFade posted:

I was shooting up a conda in xihe's hazres and suddenly boom, got a bounty for murder of some random npc. Must have wandered in front of my beams with 1% hull or something and now I'm stuck for 6 days with a bounty in the system where i keep all my ships.

This sucks, can I get rid of it somehow? It used to be that you could pay off bounties but I can't seem to do that now. I should just gently caress off to another system for a week?

Yes, or just don't worry about it. There's no law in hazres anyway and sneaking into the station is easy. Pretend you're a pirate for a little while. It's fun!

• Locked thread