Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I don't know if it affects strength, but it's pretty easy to check out it's effect on recharge rate-- just turn off your shields, drop Sys to 0 pips, turn your shields back on, and watch them drain your "SYS" power bar. As soon as it's empty, your shields will stop regenerating if they're off, and freeze at whatever state if you do the same thing once they're online.

Obviously if you can get away with having a constantly-full power bar with 2 pips there's not a whole lot of reason to drop more than that into them, but I imagine that varies by ship, shield class, and rank.
To expand on this, shield recharge always maxes at 1 MJ/s, so if your distributor charges your SYS power at 1 pop faster than your shield drains, there's no reason to put more pips into SYS for shield recharge since it won't go faster. Like Shine I also read that more pips strengthens your shield and makes it take less damage though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
Do we know what ranks are going to be required for the Cutter and Corvette? Not looking forward to the rep grind. :(

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
Missiles are cool (for the whole five minutes you have ammo for them):

Galaga Galaxian posted:

What does the Keelback look like? I heard it was a highly modified Type-6?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysYDnyr13sA

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

uh guys

help

Terrain settings defaulted to ultra and my computer obviously can't handle it

Mercurius posted:

Incidentally, you know how we joke around that Frontier builds stuff from old code that doesn't include recent fixes? They're getting better, 2.0 seems to have been built on 1.3 instead of 1.1, meaning lots of the Powerplay bonuses aren't doing anything just like when 1.3 went live :v:. Hopefully that also means the interdiction mini game is less broken as a result.
I wonder if this means that repair costs are horribly broken again and it would cost less to sell and rebuy a Viper than it is to repair it.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
I was all excited to drive my buggy but I guess the game doesn't want me to :saddowns:

Anyone know anything about this or am I just poo poo outta luck until a patch?

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
Does scanning stuff with the wave scanner by holding down the button actually do anything?

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Angrymog posted:

The wave scanner is on all the time. The button scanner is for data links.
Yeah that's the thing I meant. It doesn't seem to do anything on random stuff so I assume you just use it for missions (of which I haven't done any yet).

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

KakerMix posted:

Get up close and personal with literal giant capital ships!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Id-nlHjvZI
Back in 1.4 when we had a confirmed capital sighting fighting the Diamond Frogs, I decided I was going to make a run at it in an Imp Eagle and see how far I got.

It was really cool for the minute or so I flew around before panic jumping into another system to avoid dying.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Shine posted:

You can take on Anacondas in a starter Vulture if you are on the ball with chaff and don't venture in front of the C4 gun on its nose, but if you're not confident then just ignore them and fry everything else.
I haven't gone to a RES in a while; did they ever fix the weird AI quirk where the AI won't toggle their turrets on until you get in front of them at least once? Because I got a ton of really easy kills that way: get behind the target in my Vulture and start shooting, and as long as I don't wonder in front of them their turrets wouldn't shoot even if they were pointing at me.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
Several hours and about 7.5 million in bribe money later the Federation has deemed me a big enough patriot to buy their poo poo. The system works!

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Where can I do this for the Empire? gently caress this piddly rep payout for missions.
I've been using this https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/3y2trw/empire_ranking_in_20_donations_shmonations/
It's a bit more work than just grinding donations but
1) It's way more fun imho
2) You're actually making (pretty decent) money while doing it too

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Strategic Tea posted:

Having just lost my ship, I think I've discovered the most valuable thing in the game -

paintjob degradation

seriously a bashed up weathered paintjob is cool as hell, but they take ages to get and if you ever lose your ship, bam! fresh replacement with a pristine coat of paint :(
Also they broke the "repair all" button and it repairs your paintjob too, which it didn't use to before. :mad:

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Libluini posted:

Has anyone tested if this mechanic carries over to Class 4 weapons? Would be hilarious if C4-guns do 33% more damage than listed even against large ships just because there are no "huge" ships. :v:
It doesn't work like that, weapons do reduced damage against bigger hulls but only full (rather than extra) damage on smaller hulls. So a C2 weapon would do 66% against large hulls, 100% against medium hulls, and 100% (not 133%) against small ones.

The Locator posted:

I have to say that I disagree somewhat with the learning curve steepness. It's nothing like as steep as the old-school Eve, I've made a lot more progress in a day than my first several weeks in the old Eve days.
I had a friend who described this game's learning curve as (paraphrased) "a sheer cliff wall, followed by a flat plain". When you first start off the game doesn't explain poo poo to you so you're flying about smashing into stuff and trying to figure out where your docking port is and everything feels impenetrable, but once you get over that hump you sit there wondering how you found it so confusing.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
Welp, my first attempt at exploration just ended in horrible failure when I can across a 2G world, which was the first time I've ever tried to land on a planet higher than 1G, and slammed my Cobra into the ground and exploded. :rip: Didn't even make it half way to the Horsehead Nebula.

IAmTheRad posted:

Prismatic shields aren't nearly as good as bi-weave shields in PvE. Hell, you can have builds that don't even use Shield Cell Banks with bi-weaves. Just relax a bit after a battle with 4 pips on SYS, see your shields recharge, assuming you took some shield damage.
Don't really need to put 4 pips in SYS unless your distributor can't handle your shield's drain. SYS pips don't directly affect regen, only strength.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
I, somewhat ironically, had A-grade thrusters on my Cobra to make landings easier. When I realised I was coming in too hard I nosed up and hit boost a bunch of times which turns out didn't do anything because I absent-mindedly lowered my landing gear a few seconds before. Oops. Probably would have not died like a moron if that boost had gone off.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Did you have no shields and 1% hull? That's a pretty hard landing.
98% hull and full shields. Rate of descent indicator was showing something like 5 to 7 pips before I hit I think.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Mercurius posted:

It's actually the other way round (unless you buy the two even more expensive bulkheads that change the damage values of thermal and kinetic) where reinforced/military grade bulkheads multiply the base hull hp value only and hull reinforcements provide additional protection to modules in addition to the armour they give. That said, I've got milspec on my FDL and it's saved me 5 or 6 times in combat zones where everything started shooting me at once and I've just barely snuck out with sub 20% hull left so while it's not as effective as HRP, more hitpoints = better than.
The amount of HP the bulkheads give you is pretty :geno: for the amount you pay when compared to hull reinforcements, but yeah I'd definitely still throw it on if you can afford it since you never know when you need that extra health.

Gonna laugh at this person on Reddit:

:laffo:

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Am I being crazy here when I say the federal gunship is a trash ship? The Federal Assault Ship is not only cheaper, but seems to be better as a fighter, and a ship in every possible way.
Nah most people seem to hold that opinion, though I personally enjoy the hell out of it. Kinda weird how hugely expensive it is though.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
Yeah if you're running dual C4 cannons definitely go with beams in the rest of the slots. Also use a biweave because you will otherwise hate yourself when you need to charge up your shields.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:getin:

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Strategic Tea posted:

I can see it for the huge weapons - I mean when it's half the size of the ship, its going to be fixed. But large weapons? Big, slow tracking turrets would make for kickass guns as well as fun dodging in your iggle...
Well I mean C4 cannons can already be purchased gimballed so I don't see why C4 multis wouldn't be.

Insert name here fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 17, 2016

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Helter Skelter posted:

The X65 was also from before MadCatz bought them, and in general was a cool as hell stick that was just too weird to live.
If they made a new X65 with a little bit of play/slack in the stick I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Helter Skelter posted:

While I can see why you might want that, that would kind of defeat the point of it.
I'm not asking for a lot of range, just something like the F-16 IRL where they added something like a half inch diameter of play (after originally having the stick not move) to make it more comfortable to use and easier to judge how much pressure you're applying.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Section Z posted:

Has anyone found practical reasons to use the Federal Gunship as, well, your primary ship? Or even any particular niche uses for it other ships can't handle cheaper, better, or both?

Which also reminded me "Oh hey didn't the Federal Dropship used to cost as much as the Gunship?" Which seems pretty high for only two small lasers more than a Dropship and the least internal slots of any "Federal" ship.
I really like the gunship because the large number of hardpoints for weapons lets you do some silly gimmick builds. Flew around in a 4x Plasma Accelerator gunship for a while and it was fun. Also was great to fill every slot with a Multicannon with a large burst laser for stripping shields (well, great for the whole 10 minutes that you have ammo at least :v:).

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Shine posted:

My dream is that Elite Dangerous just starts ripping off everything from Space Rangers 2, which will make it the greatest game ever made.
Would unironically play text adventures all day

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
I need this in my life now

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

So there's a bounty hunting CG in Phiagre, might be worth popping over for a bit because the payouts are ridic:

Did this finish already? Popped over to the system but the only CG was the one to deliver Titanium.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Shine posted:

*If you've never tried a C3 beam and three frags on a FAS, I highly recommend doing so. The burst damage at close range is insane.
:agreed: on frags being hilarious

Shine posted:

I think I'll try missiles next, just for the joy of shooting missiles in space (even if they're hella weak).
They're fun as hell to use even if they're not so good. They look loving awesome too:

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

IAmTheRad posted:

Those are the pack hound missiles, right?

Anyways with 2.1 missiles (and torpedos) should be getting a bit of a buff.
Nah it was just 4 missile launchers on my gunship (my go to ship for silly weapon builds due to the number of weapon slots it has). I can't be assed to pledge for a week then build enough rep to get any of the PP weapons.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Section Z posted:

Still hoping wistfully for a way to consistently get Legal Space Cop type missions, instead of 90% of combat missions available causing a bounty with the Station giving you the mission in the first place.
I'm pretty sure this is almost impossible given that missions outside of CZ missions are almost always in another system barring a few edge cases.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

I want this real bad

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

The Escape Velocity equivalent of that mod did MORE damage :colbert:
Yes well sadly I think we have to accept the fact that not every game can be as good as Escape Velocity

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

slidebite posted:

I think bounties are less. Took out a dangerous Anaconda and it was $110K with a full kill-warrant scan. I would have expected closer to $150 before I think.
Could be worse, just now I jumped into a USS randomly and saw a wanted Anaconda. Blew him up and got... 2,550 credits in bounty.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
Removing Bi-Weave shields is dumb as gently caress and I really hope it's just an oversight and not something deliberate

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

RabidWeasel posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_6HjebZFYs

Some kind of RoF bug + AI having infinite ammo, energy and no heat buildup from shooting = hello plasma accelerator multicannon! This probably explains those "my Python just instantly melted" videos :v:
Found another great video of this bug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dHdsYrmKnM
Watch his loving shields and hull just melt

I uh, think I'm gonna sit this patch out until they fix some things

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
I've been doing basically this since the gunship dropped. Sold it so I could rebuy a Python cause I wanted to fly one again but I imagine it's even more fun now that large MCs and incendiary ammo exists.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
I don't care if it's gonna be sub-optimal or whatever fighter bays look sick as gently caress and I can't wait to fill my Corvette with as many as I possibly can

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Python ship kit looking sick as gently caress

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

DancingShade posted:

Both of those ships look at least twice as good as before.
I'm not entirely sold on the spiky Vulture yet but that F-117-like Python is extremely my poo poo

E: Also I just learned you can get some sick rear end canards for your Eagle with the kit so I'm really tempted to go and buy that and an Eagle even though there's no point with the iEagle existing

Insert name here fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Aug 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
I haven't been paying much attention to the streams and stuff, have they given a rough estimate of when we can expect 2.2 to show up?

• Locked thread