Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

goatsestretchgoals posted:

i have an important question about prefixing my ship name with 420

Exactly what you think will happen, will happen. Except it'll be four-two-zero, not four-twenty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Sekenr posted:

I distinctly remember a "fix" of sorts when after you take 4 missions of the same type, they will no longer spawn on mission board. However this is no longer the case and board-flipping works better than ever.

On other note: whats the deal with outfits? They wear them over the flightsuit which is odd and weird. On other hand now that i've seen the outfits, just the flightsuit looks naked.
There aren't really any other ways to do it if you want the flightsuit to remain sealed?

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Sekenr posted:

I don't know, seems odd to me. If you want to look pretty, IMO it makes more sense to make fancier flightsuits rathar than put a whole set of clothing including boots over the flightsuit.

Way I understand it, the suit is designed to be pretty modular. There's probably a whole bunch of add-ons like that specifically designed to worn over/replace bits of the suit while maintaining seal integrity. Not everybody is going to want to traipse around in a bodyglove.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
The last page or so put to words why I tend prefer medium-weight ships like the Python. It gets more or less the same done as the big ones do, at a fraction of the cost to purchase, upgrade and operate (read, pay the occasional rebuy). Plus I tend to like more maneuverable ships, they're just more fun to fly.

On one hand, it's great that you don't have to have a giant fuckoff endgame ship to have fun and be effective. On the other, it kind of makes me hope the big ones were more... rewarding.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i am glad i will apparently never be able to accrue appreciable money in this game. is it like bitcoin? did i miss the bubble?

i have a viper 3 or whatever and like 100k credits and no idea how to make more.

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Grind out the 250k for a Detailed Surface Scanner, do like 3 planets of a Road to Riches run, go back for an Advanced Discovery Scanner because honking as you spiral out from the star is annoying, go back and do more Road to Riches. You get 500-700k per HMC/TWW/ELW, low to high.

E: Also don't be afraid to skip distant planets. I saw a planet on my list last night at 200k Ls. I could spend 10m flying out to it, or I could skip that system and scan 5 planets in that time.

Do not do this in a Viper-3, that only leads to frustration and heartbreak. Get a Cobra-3, Diamondback Scout, or Diamondback Explorer to do that. Hell, even an Adder that's been stripped down to D-rated equipment and max FSD range will have enough jump range to be decent. Viper-3 is for going fast and punching people in the face.

Speaking of, that's a decent way to make money fast, especially when you're starting out. A decently fit (read, fully armed, maybe some upgrades) Viper-3 will be perfectly capable of dealing with pirates up to, say, things like the Asp Scout. Get a kill-warrant scanner, get your rear end to a high-intensity RES, head for the laser fire in the distance, scan the combatants and shoot down pirates. It's especially lucrative if you get on the goon discord and get a couple of dudes to do it with. If you need a good place to hunt near the starting systems, I recommend LTT 15574 - the primary station, Haxel Port, has a solid selection of ships and equipment for sale and the local gas planets have suitable hunting grounds a couple of minutes of supercruise away from the station.

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Mar 6, 2018

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
You laugh, but this is basically how flying the passenger liner was supposed to be in Star Citizen. With the added bonus of getting to 'interact' with your paying passengers in the form of wonderful minigames like 'reconfigure the comms array so Shithead #7 can watch MLP' and 'mix a margarita for Fuckwit #31'. Have fun with that under fire.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

jubjub64 posted:

Half joking here: What if they implemented a simple payment plan for larger, more expensive ships? Do most people go to a car dealership and say "here is $40,000 for this new car"? No, they don't. They have a monthly payment plan so that they can drive the car now. Figuring out the payments would be the tricky part.
Also, what if you don't make your monthly payment? This could introduce a new bounty hunter mission called "reposession" where you have to track down the offending ship and disable it for repo. Or they could just lock down your ship the next time it docks at any port.

OR what if you could help build your ship buy using mined and salvaged materials to offset the cost of "building" your ship?

In theory it could work sort of like the current 'loan' system where if you get shot down and take a loan to cover your rebuy costs, you end up paying like 10% of your income towards said loan until it's paid off.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Sekenr posted:

No, I think you actually gained a little sirius rep from each transaction because they apprecited your business in the market (selling the slaves you stole from them)

That was before they introduced cancelling/failing a mission giving you a rep hit, harsh enough to more than cancel out selling your stolen slaves back to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

CaptainViolence posted:

:lol: same thing happened to me when i was trying to find the thread a few weeks back, and when i finally did i laughed like an idiot because it's an extremely good title

in other news, i finally realized there's actually stuff on planet surfaces other than just a bunch of sweet jumps to take the scarab over at full speed. i saw something somewhere mention that there will be an update that includes planets with cities and stuff, is that a beyond thing or something further out in the future?

Probably further out in the future. If I remember what they've been talking about correctly, Beyond is going to mostly have enhancements to existing systems (like the recent rebuild of the crime & punishment and the engineering systems), the upcoming social systems, etc. 'Being able to access urbanized planets' and such smells like it'd be out of scope for that.

• Locked thread