Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
Goddamnit! I said I wasn't going to get this, then it ended up on sale on Steam. Guess I have to get something to control this thing, mouse and keyboard isn't cutting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Angrymog posted:

Got a message today that my client is both too old and too new.

:frontear:

(I assume it's just confused because they're in the process of doing a server patch atm)

I got in no problem :frontear:

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

DONT DO IT posted:

Coming back into this from a long absence following a bout of space madness. All this powerplay is new to me. I reached 63. G Capricorni with about 1.3mil in the bank. Total assets of around 2.2mil but I'd rather keep my little explorer ship in the event the madness returns. What's the quickest way to make the credits to buy a decked out Vulture?

Rez hunt for bounties. What sort of v/l do you have?

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

DONT DO IT posted:

Yeah I was thinking this would be the method of choice for me. A Mk III Viper could be tricked out without completely draining me. I don't know about a Mk IV.

I have no idea what this means. Vessel maybe? I have an Adder now. Nothing combat capable.

Yeah, it's shorthand for vessel.

I wouldn't bother with the Mk IV. You can do low rez with a sidewinder, just stay with cops and let them do most of the work before you start shooting.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Diamond Frogs stream with Educating ED: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frontierdevelopments?live

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

wargames posted:

or you could post the video instead of a dead stream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QINeDzF7w9M

It was live when I posted.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Nickiepoo posted:

Is there a practical advantage, beyond 'where I can buy the one I want' to owning multiple ships? Does selling a ship not give back the full value?

Different ships for different roles? Or say you want a ship that has poo poo jump capability in a certain area for reasons, like for farming Res, or mining. I've got a Vulture stashed near where there's a res, a type 6 for mining in an other location, a type 6 for econoexploring, and will just use a hauler taxi to go between them.

edit: beaten like a dead horse.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Panch posted:

Man, I don't know if it's the new AI or what, but there really is no option of running anymore is there? I just got interdicted in an ASP. I submitted, but Frontier happened and I spun out for what seems like an insane amount of time. Started 2 pips shields (4 eng) and lost 50% before I realized how fast they were going down.

Tried 4 pips shields for a second, then just opted for 4 engines because they were down anyway. Boosting and using chaff couldn't buy me distance and I never got another chance to chaff. I have A rated thrusters and an A rated distributor. Would have even combat logged but didn't have enough time. My combat rank is novice. I was dead sub 10 seconds while putting 100% effort into getting away. Yes, I am running smaller class shields but my god.

Do I just have to git gud or am I doomed to meltdown?

Supposedly you have to keep playing the mini
game or you spin out.

Edit: while submitting that is.

SpannerX fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 27, 2016

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Panch posted:

So you submit, which lets you charge FSD faster, but gimps you insanely by having you spin for a ton of time.

Or take your chances with the mini game and if you lose, you're gimped again. What's the purpose of submitting now? Also the mini game is sometimes straight up impossible if your escape vector starts what seems like behind you. I'm guessing there's some underlying mechanic or pattern to it that was never explained because it's Elite:Dangerous.

And then you essentially have to exploit the AI with a niche weapon to maybe get away?

No I mean that while you are submitting, throttle down, and continue to keep trying to keep the cross hairs for interdiction lined up. If you don't, you could end up spinning out. I had it happen to me when the 2.1 patch dropped. So keep playing the mini game even while you a submitting.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Nice meltdown.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Chomp8645 posted:

Technically he said "delivery contracts". It's probably special stuff going to locations that don't get regular delivery service and/or it's straight up drugs.

It's probably not bulk cargo in any way, shape, or form. In fact almost certainly the opposite and he's taking small quantities of things simply because it would be too small a job for a real cargo ship.

I hate to say it, but "delivery contracts" basically means that he delivers a boat/yacht that someone else doesn't want to sail/motor from one place to an other.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

StarkRavingMad posted:

To everyone complaining about NPC interdictions: don't get good. Get mines.

This absolutely this.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Dedicated cargo internals, mmm? I wonder what other boats'll get that?

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

orcane posted:

Haha is the Type-9's jump range a joke or what the hell.

best part is when you can buy one in a system that doesn't sell bigger FSDs and it can't even get out of the system. :D

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

SpannerX posted:

best part is when you can buy one in a system that doesn't sell bigger FSDs and it can't even get out of the system. :D

God drat it I hate my avatar!

Quote is not edit!

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Mouko posted:

Fellow transport pilots, this is a vision of our earthbound past.

Countdown until Frontier sues for copyright infringement? :v:

Like a platform or drill rig would let anything with no one on board anywhere near them. Won't fly.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Truga posted:

Yes, why would an oil rig want something that saves them money in salaries and insurance premiums?

They already run on DP. But when that shits the bed you need a back up, aka a real person. Besides, there is currently a glut of brand new or close enough PSV and ahst boats out there. Also, you think the boat companies are going to charge a lower day rate because they have noone on board? Especially if they just upgraded to a new state of the art boat? They are hurting right now and I can't see them investing in new vessels for at least 20 years. They are currently divesting themselves of everything around 10 years or older, when less than 6 years ago I used to work on boats over 20 years old. Plus for things like anchor handling and hose work, especially in crappy conditions, you need someone there. Also, they'd want someone to blame when shtf.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Is there anywhere besides maia to get felicity farseer's meta-alloys? it's ages away

Consider doing the other on, it points you in the direction of class 5 thrusters, I think?

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Do cg rewards count towards status?

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Supposedly, the training has been updated, if anyone is interested.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Patch rolling out at 3 pm bst.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

General Battuta posted:

You can make like a hundred million hour doing stacked skimmer massacres (I don't even think I'm exaggerating). You'll need to rank the faction up to get the really good payouts but that makes you money too!

And you can do this with a sidewinder.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

orcane posted:

I always wondered, does ejecting the engineering cargo actually help when the NPC goes "give me your stuff or die"? Not like I want to try this out :v:

Are you actually planning on using that soonish? If not sell it and stop the interdiction bs.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I have embraced the zen of parking my mothership in a High RES and helping police murder criminals in a fighter.

Which fighter and set up?

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

LostCosmonaut posted:

Is there a minimum arming distance for mines? Wonder how well that would work for top mounted hardpoints.

Again, we need to be able to stick reloads for weapons in our hold so we can turn the Type 9 into a space B-52.

Well, considering that i've had them take my shields out and do damage to me when i'm dropping out of the wrong hardpoints on a 'conda, i'd say the arming distance is just about 0.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Mailer posted:

Pythons are the best possible ship for doing engineer stuff. You can interdict, do surface scavenging, haul a small amount of cargo, jump a reasonable distance, and if you want to mine it's a minor refit. It's also cool to have all the components engineered to some degree, since you'll do this naturally while leveling engineers. There isn't a better ship for doing everything.

In terms of doing any one specific thing - it's pretty terrible.

Except hauling to out posts.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Apple Craft posted:

So I went to 17 Draconis, but I am a complete noob at this. Where is the conflict zone I am supposed to enter to complete the mission(s)?

You don't go to a CZ. There is a settlement on the first planet that is allied with the opposite group from who you take the missions from at the space station. You then 1)kill the skimmers, 2)log out, and 3)log back in, goto 1) till you've got all your missions of massacring ships filled.

Take only the missions from I think it's the jetway group.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

They have done nothing to indicate this will ever happen.

But like you said: the mechanics are solid! That combined with the best-in-class sound design make this one of the best space-sims ever for me.

Until someone goes all-in CDPR-style on hand-crafting narratives for the missions, they will never be what people want them to be. Bethesda can't even make compelling missions using RNG, I'm not sure why anyone thinks FDev will be able to. The game is what it is, and I don't expect not-Thargoids, atmospheres, or capital ships to change that.

I think the gimmick is to use dumbfire missiles on the skimmers or just drop mines (which are now affected by gravity :science: ) on them then reinstance to respawn them and blow them up all over again. :bsg:

And I think one mine will take out the whole shebang, so you can now do it with a type 6 easily. Type 6 best ship! :D

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

sethimothy posted:

Is this the sort of mission thing I can do in a ship like a Cobra Mk III or is it only for people flying something larger? Because if my current ship can handle it I'm gonna go give it a shot, I don't care how far away from where I'm currently at (Somewhere near Cubio I'm sure).

I did it in an adder. But I suicide back to the station.

SpannerX fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Dec 12, 2016

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Chrysophylax posted:

I come with gifts: click.

If it's tl;dr just click the first spoiler

Is it furries? I bet it's furries.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Xae posted:

Looks like I'll "need" a decked out Anaconda for 2.3. What is the current hotness for making money? Preferably something that doesn't make me want to hurt myself.

I've heard scamming missions in Robigo and selling slaves is good money. But it also sounds boring a gently caress.

Robigo is long dead. The new way, and it is legit, is passenger missions it seems.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
That sort of stuff is still going on? I stand corrected.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
This update is almost making me want to cut my break short and head back to the bubble.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Efexeye posted:

If I'm playing space limo in a Type 6 what's the next logical upgrade for a ship that I can also refit for mining, like I do with this one?

AspX.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
I was thinking just money wise and what he is coming from at the moment. Hell, how is the 7 now?

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Don't discount the Keelback! It has a small but dedicated group of followers.

What is the engineered jump rating on that now?

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Internet Explorer posted:

Definitely do this. Everyone is super helpful.

Speak for yourself. ;-)

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Boogalo posted:

They help entertain everyone with terrible ship fits. We all have a unique part to play.

I was just making a point of being at colonia and being of no use for helping out in game. Plus i make poo poo builds anyway.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
I was going to go Greek, and call the ship
Titan Uranus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Glenn Quebec posted:

Made 14 mill on passenger runs last night with my less than optimized keelback. And I'm slowly liking the flying brick. It's kind of fun if you play it like a support ship. I did some light massacre jobs too. Just hung back and sicced my fighter on proper targets (nothing too large) and if he started getting hosed up I'd have him return to me and the injured enemy ship would invariably follow. Then I'd tear into him with lasers and hit him with a single seeker missile. That would do the job.

Long story short. I'm not gonna resell this brick poo poo ship and just earn another 15 mill to fully kit a vulture.

I've got a lightly engineered t6 back in the bubble that I'll never sell, it's one of my favourite ships.

• Locked thread