Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

xiansi posted:

You can fly an ExplOrca too. Whilst it can't jump for poo poo, it's the stylish way to see the stars! You just need to roleplay that you are chilling with your space concubines in the luxury jacuzzi cabin, rather than getting very smelly & going slowly mad in a cheap & nasty Lakon rustbucket.

I disagree. In fact I think the dot smells quite nice. Everything looks beautiful around the dot. Especially my diamondback, when I'm around the dot. The dot has given me a new sense of pleasure in my surroundings. But you wouldn't know that, would you? Your orca will never jump you far enough to reach the reclusive corners of our material plane where the dot dwells. I hear only the words of one who has never experienced the dot. Such naysayers may be disregarded, for their experiences are shallow and unfulfilled, untouched by the dot, as if they have never lived at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Libluini posted:

Don't forget if you're an explorer, you won't have RES nor trading, since we're out there in the great beyond. Not much to shoot at or trade with here. So we only get money from our exploration alone. But scanning down everything, even everything worthwile, would lead to a fast burnout, so we have to travel at a more leisurely pace, which means even less money.

I have my Asp, an Imperial Courier in storage back in civilization and 33 million credits in the bank. And that's with continuously playing since December last year. Explorers are even more hosed by Elite's income system.

On top of this if you ever want to change roles then you won't be able to get the federal/empire ships since exploring doesn't involve missions (I'm the first federal rank and still have no rank in empire). I got the game 3 months ago and still haven't flown anything more expensive than my diamondback explorer, although that will probably change once this semester gives me enough time to get back from my super long trip. Still way less money for the time than I got when I just flew a viper into a planet ring and shot people.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

You should be able to just blast materials off of the rocks in planet rings and then scoop them up to make more bullets. It's the Space Future, there's technology to do that, because it's the Space Future.

Better, just blast entire bullets and missiles ready to fire out of the rocks. That's how it works in other games.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Holy christ that video is painful to watch.

TorakFade posted:

Oh now I want a multicannon that shoots small asteroid pebbles.

Anyways it's pretty clear that :frontear: has not much interest in letting us have more ammo. People have been whining since forever about the low ammo issue (of course there's people whining that having 30 shots is awesome because it's strategic and not dumbed down and yadda yadda yadda), but no developer has ever commented on it iirc, and it appears the Sacred Ammo Amounts have been written in stone and your space shotgun which fires 3 shots per second will only ever hold 30 rounds, because having to dock and reload every 5 minutes is Very Good and Fun, apparently...

The thing is it's actually a decent balance tradeoff to have energy weapons use all your power while physical weapons have to worry about ammo, the problem is that the moment the fight is over, your balance tradeoff now inconveniences the player and makes them waste time for 5-10 minutes to go resupply. There should be some ammo factory mode where you keep your hardpoints retracted for X seconds but then your ammo comes back. That way the ammo cap for a weapon matters during a single fight because if you run out of shotgun ammo you can't attack for some time if you want to get it back. But then you can just chill for a very short time after the fight to get your gear back instead of having to go all the way back to a station.

In a way physical weapons already have the same limitation as energy weapons using power, because they have to reload, which stops you from attacking just like how running out of laser power stops you from attacking until it recharges. Physical weapons being so much worse than energy weapons almost across the board was a huge turn off of combat for me.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Sep 18, 2015

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

That stuff's really good, the second one is pretty close to what I have now. I'll need to try those out when I have time to play again.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Yeah the online tool is handy to give you an idea of what you're doing when you're making your own color, but the quality of the picture there is a lot lower than what you'll see in the game. Generally if it looks good on the site it will look good ingame but sometimes bad ones on the site look good ingame.

Not liking the swamp green though.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Crab nebula

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Being able to land on that planet will actually be really cool, like imagine if you looked up and the sun was taking up a fifth of the visible sky. (you would also be a liquid at that point but nevermind that)

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

fukcing daniel brabben

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

After the blows of a thousand slaps, I have no face left to be slapped.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Some of the paints should seriously just be buyable with ingame credits, I would seriously be willing to pay a million credits for paint for my diamondback.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Smaller ships are probably going to be more relevant in the future even after you're flying bigger ships, since you'll be able to launch them as AI fighters.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I have no idea what is happening when and how much it will cost to which people anymore

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

SkySteak posted:

Like is the exploration actually engaging?

It's basically a screensaver.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Now that you'll be able to actually launch smaller ships and the orca is supposed to be a passenger ship, it should be the ship that specializes in a huge number of stored ships. It's a big dumb elephant surrounded by angry, tiny bees.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Dante80 posted:

FPS gameplay

quote:

Alien Wars

When did they mention this stuff because at the rate they're finishing features it doesn't seem realistic.

At least these are the only promises we can say that about, and there is an actual game that exists to play right here and now. Unlike, you know. That other game.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Adult Sword Owner posted:

I blew out the thrusters of a dude who was boosting and he went flying off into the distance, but boosting speed didn't drop off and I couldn't catch him

This is bullshit :(

The boosting speed didn't drop because there's no drag in space to slow them down, so without thrusters they were stuck sailing away in one direction forever.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Lol I can't use the mouse at all in E:D now

Like the cursor is glued to the center of the screen and when I move on say the map it appears but only moves a pixel in whatever direction and immediately resets

I have to use it for the drat map because I don't want to spend 3 hours setting up HOTAS to have controls that make any sense yet here we are

This happened to me last weekend, if I alt tabbed a full cycle back to the game it would go away until I opened a menu again. Looking at the forums people say it goes away if you turn hardware cursor to on, which I already had on. Turning it off and on again makes it go away, but only until you open a menu again so it's worthless.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

What on earth is a "pubbie" in elite.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Can't connect to frontier servers

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Drake_263 posted:

loving hell. For some reason, painite plus drones equals instant transaction server failure. I was mining earlier today. FIVE times I found a rock with painite, started mining, and the instant a drone with a painite fragment reached my cargo hatch I'd get booted out of the game.

What in the actual gently caress, :frontear:?

They forgot to remove the block that hard codes mining to be unprofitable and shuts down the game if it detects you making a meaningful amount of money from it

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I'm currently 5,500 light years away from populated space near the crab nebula, anyone wanna wing up and scan some ice rocks

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

They said there won't be caves, which is disappointing but I didn't even think of them before so small loss I guess.

e: "Lighting is definitely dynamic. If you stay on a planet for a long time you will see the starscape change and you will see the star move around"

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 14, 2015

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

LCL-Dead posted:

Try it out, some people like them.

If you don't like it, spend $25-30 bucks on a Logitech 3D Extreme Pro

Or save that money and just use mouse and keyboard because it's perfectly playable with that.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

also make sure you have a detailed surface scanner installed, so that when you do the close-up scan you get more money.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

5,000 light years away from populated space, what's this doing here?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I have 8 space for cargo so I picked it up, IDK what it does.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

code:
<MatrixRed> 0.11, 0.26, 1 </MatrixRed>
<MatrixGreen> 1, 1, -0.45 </MatrixGreen>
<MatrixBlue> 0.18, -0.26, -0.21 </MatrixBlue>

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

SynthOrange posted:

Is there anyway to cancel system map loading? Sometimes it takes as long as witchspace. :smith:

This made me fly into a star today because I accidentally pressed map before killing my speed when I arrived at the system, and it took something like 20 loving seconds to load without any way to stop it or get my controls back.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Has anyone had trouble with gemFX running on windows 7, I put everything in both the base steam folder for elite and the product folder (they both have .exes) but it doesn't do anything.

I tried EDFX which did work but it turned everything into a super bright lens flare, with no way to turn off the effects that were making it so bright, and the game has no way to lower the brightness for no explainable reason. Maybe sweetFX will work and not blind me?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

Does anyone have fun just playing the game, or is making money fast the only thing folks enjoy?

Playing the game is pretty much a screensaver outside of combat.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

orange juche posted:

Love can bloom even when two ships are caught on the edge of the largest gravitational singularity in the galaxy.

Put this in the OP :kimchi:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

When I was in populated space and got sick of dumbasses interdicting me I would just do the trick where you submit to the interdiction and then jump to another system 5 seconds later. It sounds like there's sometimes too many interdictions to be able to do that now though without just getting interdicted again when you come back.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The hell is 'Fuel Ratting'

http://fuelrats.com/

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

More wreckage several thousand light years away from human life, this time by a beautiful water world.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

What do they look like because I just traveled 1,000 ly towards home today (now only 2,000 ly away) and didn't see anything wrong.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I would do them but I haven't been in populated space since july, and I'm sure most other explorers are in similar situations with community goals.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

LCL-Dead posted:

Gonna confirm Libluini on this one.

I was running 2x 560 Ti's in SLI and getting the cube rendering error a lot.
I've since switched/upgraded to a 980 and have not seen a single issue like this, though nebulae will still appear as dark spots against the glow of the galaxy from time to time.

I just have 1 560 ti and have never seen this happen in 90 hours.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ok I'm finally less than 1,000 light years away from populated space. I left on this journey in july and got a ton of data to sell. Is there anywhere where I'll get more money for it than usual or do you always get the same amount of money for exploration data everywhere?

Definitely getting a different ship and doing something completely different when I'm back. Might try out that asp or vulture. Of course I've been gone for so long that I no longer have any idea what's going on in the game or what any of the numbers mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

KoldPT posted:

You could sell it at 63. G Capricorni's skvortsov orbital and make goons richer, but I have no idea how that would affect the BGS.

I'm willing to do this if it will help the goon faction but I'd rather not spend any longer in populated space with ~20,000 light years of travel data onboard than I need to, since I read interdictions are a lot more obnoxious right now. How will selling it there help the diamond frogs?

• Locked thread