Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!
hey goons new elite player here

I picked up the elite complete pack during the winter sale to play spacemans with a few of my GTA goonbros and I thought I would post in the thread for a little guidance. once i did the training missions enough to get some idea of what to do I used the sidewinder to get myself a hauler, then I used that to grind out my first million spacebuxx. once I had the cash i got myself into a type-6 transporter and now I'm grinding up cash to put together a cheap fighter build but I'm not sure what the next step will be after that? One friend put together a cheap eagle build to wing up and do some police ship kill scumming? but I was also looking at the viper mk4? and I'm not sure which one to go with. I know that I'll need to learn how to shoot at other ships but what should be my next few steps to get up to the next class of ships? I am slowly raising my rank in the federation? and have started working out of the Ix system to try to get better paying missions but this game really doesn't hold your hand and I'm not sure of the best way to proceed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

Krycek posted:

Well, I read his post as if he was asking for a longer term goal. Python doesn't seem that far off if he's already in a type 6. Iirc, it took me ~2 weeks to go from type 6 to python.

yeah the eagle vs viper 4 thing is just to get a cheap fighter so I can start becoming proficient in space combat, but for the longer term I need to do some more reading and learning about this game to see what the next big step is. I enjoyed playing ETS2 so I'm totally cool with being a space trucker for a while if that's what it takes to get to the next level but I'm not sure what I should be aiming for next or even what the next level of ships/money grind looks like?

I also know nothing about the end game but the orca beluga ship looks sexy as gently caress and isn't the endstage of any multiplayer game supposed to be flying around in a space yacht thumbing your nose at all the poors? I'm still ignorant about a vast majority of this game so I wanted to post and see what the goon hivemind had to say about it.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

Turmoil posted:

I just finished my first long distance expedition passenger mission and it wasn't too bad.

Gende to Csi+47-21046. A bit over 6000 light years away and probably about 170 jumps there and 190 back.
Payout was 18 million for the mission and it bumped my explorer rank from Pathfinder(52%) to Ranger(25%).

5 million in exploration data and tons of first discovered by credits.
Most of the was honking and scanning the primary star and then leaving.

I started Sunday night and ended it this morning. Probably about 9 hours or so of playing.

If I had it to do over again, I would have thought to turn my exploration data in before I cashed in on the mission to see if it boosted my rank higher.

if I may ask a few questions:

what ship?
what size fuel scoop?
what passenger modules did you equip?
jump range?

I was looking into doing the passenger vessel stuff while I am still saving up spacebuxx. I'm getting close to my first 10mil from doing spacetrucking and have a pimped out eagle for when the next exploit comes out but I'm thinking about what to do until then other than just trucking around in my type-6

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

Turmoil posted:

Asp Explorer
3A Fuel Scoop
5C First Class
Jump range at the time was an average of 36-40.

I lightened the load with this: http://www.edshipyard.com/#/L=A0g0,,Cjw0,9p30A720AMg0AdsGp50wvM6tky8qpDGxReOgf-AsO0B4S0BNC0Bcg0,,BeE01c207Pc04zM02jw02UI00nE0
And my range now is 39.58LY (49.30LY). I like the 96 fuel capacity since I can go at least 15 jumps before I even start to think about refueling in the next few jumps after that.
It does take about 7-8 minutes when I finally do decide to refuel.

thanks for the answers goonbro I assume you got an A-rated FSD to get those kinds of jump ranges, correct? (edit: just peeked at the build log you posted and I take it the heat sink launcher is to help with fuel scooping without overheating/damaging components?) sry for all the newbie questions

i have enough for an aspEx but not enough for upgrades and all that so I'll have to do some more spacetrucking before i start booking flights

coupedeville fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 19, 2017

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

so if I want to start doing the FSD engineer grind which one do I start on? I saw the lady in the menu who unlocks when you go 300ly from your starting point but then there's the other FSD lady which is like farseer something? does it matter which one I focus on first?

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

Turmoil posted:

This. I dropped a bunch of exploration data on her and got multiple invites from people including Marco Qwent.

Heading out to VY Canis Majoris from home and the first leg of my trip to Synuefe EN-Q d6-38.
This is from a full tank(96t) at the start and using about ~40t for 15 jumps.

And then this is my jump range when boosted by a neutron star.

man I'm still such a beginner I thought I was hot poo poo getting almost 20ly in my type 6 :(

so what's the lowdown on jumping off neutron stars? do you have to have engineered parts or is there a special technique?

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

yeah bro can't forget about opsec :roflolmao:

turbonerds

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

Xae posted:

Like what the hell does the second seater on a Cobra do?

giving spacehead? :v:

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

Turmoil posted:

There are some creepy people on the official forums who have female fighter pilots that they've given backstories to.

I really didn't need to know this but thanks I guess :cripes:

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

The hardest thing to explain about cosmetics in this game is why anyone would purchase them.

because I want my spaceship to be the prettiest of them all

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

Sard posted:

Too late,

There's always second place though! :shobon:

fite me irl :argh:

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

Efexeye posted:

Now give us a huge multicrew mining barge so we can strip mine asteroid belts

omg this

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

DancingShade posted:

As expected the OP of that thread has an anime avatar.

I miss :facepalm:

you mean :cripes: ?

it's 'cripes' now

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

dumb and kinda scared posted:

Heh, mission rewards won't be shared with the crew

hosed up if true

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

dumb and kinda scared posted:

They said everyone gets full bounties and bonds but only the captain can take a mission and get the reward.

I mean I can understand their reluctance to change the code for mission payouts but that seems like a straightforward way to get players engaged in actually doing multi crew and feeling like a team in accomplishing objectives

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

Internet Explorer posted:

I was on my way to Quience and realized I was about to stand myself without fuel because there was a bunch of stars in a row with no stations. Backtracked and picked up a fuel scoop and a bigger fuel tank. Plotted a new course and even figured out how to limit the course to only stars that I can scoop. Onwards!

you seem to be picking up some of this quicker than I did so congrats

I am on my way to Quince as well with a cheap hauler to try out stacking these scan missions so I hope you do well :D

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

for any new elite goons thinking about going to Quince just do it

i've made 13mil spacebuxx in a few short sessions today with a basic bitch hauler and have already gotten all the necessary factions up to cordial/friendly

coupedeville fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Mar 26, 2017

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

Was the hauler helpful to do random missions unlock the local reps? I'm not sure what to bring out there initially, was thinking cobra

I managed to get really lucky with RNG and got several "donate to the cause" missions from the local factions to quickly raise my relationship with them

I had already made my first 100mil before heading out to Quince so I had money to burn getting them to like me for the more valuable missions

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

apropos man posted:

Once you're out there you can dock at Millerport and just buy a Sidewinder and SRV hangar, as they are both on sale there.

I think the Hauler is also on sale at Millerport but can't be sure as I've always used a Sidewinder.

the sidewinder and hauler are both currently for sale in the shipyard at millerport in quince :eng101:

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

Dromio posted:

I picked up a Boom delivery with my Adder just to try and dig out of the hole a little bit. Hmm. 150k for a delivery that's just a few jumps away. Seems great! Should have known there are no such slick deals in space. I just have to drop this stuff off at Wiley Vision in Ekonir. When I get to Ekonir, there's a Morey Vision, but no Wiley! I flew around forever, discovering more planets in Ekonir, but I still haven't found one with Wiley Vision on it. I did some internet search and see that it's way, way out from the second star, but I'd probably need an advanced discovery scanner to find it. A scanner I cannot afford.

So here I am, drifting around in Ekonir desperately looking for a planet I know exists but cannot see.

if you get to a system for a mission and have incomplete information in your nav panel you should look for a nav beacon around the star you jump in next to, drop out of supercruise next to the nav beacon and target and scan it to fill in blanks in your navigation info and it should give you what you need

e:f,b

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

i've made over 140mil spacebuxx in quince this weekend :homebrew:

it took me over 100 hours to make my first 100mil but I more than doubled that in a weekend doing scan missions :downs:

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

Mu77ley posted:

What is it with you guys constantly whining when access to zero-effort money is removed? Why not ask for a button that adds a billion credits every time you hit it?

can I haz billion spacebuxx pls?

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

Sard posted:

The Beluga, since it can do something the Anaconda can't and also looks amazing, fight me concept art nerds
I'm going to probably replace my Asp Explorer with an Orca after 2.3 hits, I wish I could get similar results out of the Beluga. :sigh:

when the new update comes out pls post your orca build - I heard about the hull reduction in the beta and the crazy jump ranges that will be possible and I am very interested in what you discover :)

an explorer spaceyacht sounds like something that I would like to blow all my spacebuxx on I too like the looks of the orca/beluga :hfive:

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

those are some great screenshots :cheers:

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

Internet Explorer posted:

After raising my Explorer rank a bit the planetary scan missions I am getting from Quince are paying a lot more. If anyone else is new and has a low Explorer rank, it's worth it to get a few levels quickly before doing too much grinding.

yeah your explorer rank helps with those scan missions as well as getting your reputation with the local factions up to allied helps as well getting the more lucrative scan missions to drop

i've already made over 250mil doing scan missions out at Quince - it's great and I hope to pad my bank account quite a bit before the update patches out this exploit :homebrew:

speaking of which, after over 150 hours of playing elite I finally got my anaconda!!!!! if it weren't for grinding out at Quince it would have taken me even longer than that :(

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

I parked in Quince and summoned an iggle before passing out last night. How much does explorer rank help the payouts? I have 87% Ranger, should I run back out into space to get that last 5.3 million for Pioneer? Or would I be better off spending that time grinding now that we have a looming deadline?

my explorer rank is still at ranger and once I got up to allied w/local factions I regularly get pioneer and even elite scan missions when board scumming

ninja edit: yeah just get on ur grind and the spacebuxx will follow

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

Sweet, thanks. Do the scan missions give any rank progress, or are they just gated by it?

This brave new world of talking control towers and functional mission boards is baffling and utterly alien to me. :ohdear:

I think it may be a tiny tiny progress on your explorer rank but it's p worthless even compared to selling your nav data at stations

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

You phrased that like there's a better way to use nav data, did I make a mistake dumping mine at Colonia?

some of the engineers will take your nav data for unlocking higher gates on upgrades and also I think you can earn some system permits by selling nav data to certain people?? i'm still a megascrub compared to some of the goons in this thread and that question would be better answered by someone else

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Hey, what's the gimmick with Quince? I dumped a bunch of explodata for rep, and took a full load of planet scan missions and went down to the planet and found some base.

Do I just scan the data point in my SRV? Wash rinse repeat?

yeah you go into turret mode in your SRV, target the public data point then scan it until it beeps and all your missions update

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

yeah i've had missions not update after scanning the data point but I didn't try to clear em all before flying back to millerport; I just left em in my mission tray and scummed a bunch more missions and haven't had problems yet :shrug:

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

How do I cash in all of this sicknasty Imperial rep from Quince into sweet Ranks? Do I need to be allied with a faction before they spawn the rank missions?

you need to mission scum until you get an imperial navy mission come up on the board :eng101:

fake edit: you'll have to do a mission for each rank you go up - it won't let you skip the actual moving up in rank even tho the Quince missions do stack on your empire rank

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

wargames posted:

because i am lazy and you are also lazy here is a dirty tea drinker going over what's new in the patch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcEOgF2Ve-Q

it dropped today?

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

apropos man posted:

Is anyone else partaking in "the final Quince-down?"

https://youtu.be/yhjKGDVWzSA

^ sorry about the quality. I only posted it for the last minute, containing a (accidentally) glorious docking procedure.

yeah my aspx and my new anaconda are both at Quince right now and I was gonna try to get one more run in if I can

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

has anyone else had issues with their controllers not working? none of the controls are saved and I have to put them all in manually? I just want to drink and fly spaceships wtf :(

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

Fojar38 posted:

It doesn't matter, the dudes mission disappeared :(

Got some other ones and lmao hauling tourists around is insanely lucrative

yeah sightseeing missions are an easy way to get some spacebuxx together

when I get my game pad issue squared away i'm totally going to work on my orca explorer

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

Akion posted:

So the last two times I've started Elite, it's lost my keybindings. I use a gamepad, and it works fine in the menus but does fuckall in game now.

I'm getting tired of redoing all my controls. Anyone know what's happening here?

EDIT: Even changing it to a new gamepad setup doesn't work. It just shows keyboard buttons.

Using a DS4 with InputMapper.

this same poo poo is happening to me

I use a dual shock 4 controller with DS4windows and I don't know why this game hates me now after this update when it was flawless before :shrug:

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

his upgraded FSD is being amplified by charging in the coronal ejection of a neutron star - neutron star superboosted jumps are a thing in this game

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

Breetai posted:

Secondly, I learned that spiking up 60-odd degrees with each salvo is a good way to get real toasty, real quick. :gonk:

:eyepop:

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

Glenn Quebec posted:

So, I , had no idea how ranks work until I googled it. I did three imperial Navy jobs last night - got master rank and still am 100% for the next one. Let's see how far I can take this.

yeah I still haven't finished upgrading my imperial ranks from Quince grinding yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

Colonia and back in a 25ly Corvette

jfc why did you do this to yourself?

• Locked thread