Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

BitBasher posted:

I see multiple cobras. I see a Cobra MK III and a Cobra MK IV but both of them say they are slower than my current ship when I look at them in the shipyard. My current ship is an Imperial Eagle. Which kind of Cobra am I looking to buy?

I also apparently have an Eagle that I don;t know how I got, docked somewhere and I can sell it for 40k and some change. It appears to be inferior in every way to my current ship. is there any reason not to sell it?

Short of being able to earn 40K in less time than it'll take you to fly there, no.

If you want a Cobra (and you should), then the Mk III is the one to get. It might be very slightly slower than an Imperial Eagle, but they are the two fastest ships in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Clapping Larry

Astroniomix posted:

maximum agility/speed is at or below half of your thruster's optimal mass, anything over that will start to slow you down

I have heard this, and can believe that :frontear: don't understand what 'optimal' means, but it's a pretty tight constraint.

How much of a boost is it compared to the extra shields/(fire)power you get from just staying under optimal?

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Best ship/paint combo:

That's a contender for sure.

This, sadly, was a glitch, but it was fun while it lasted:

(it is full of storm-troopers, obviously)

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

Literally Kermit posted:

You will want to hear it first-hand, too!

Remember one of the few good bits in the worst of the bad Star Wars films?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33SrgAn7hao

Elite capital ships zoning in sound a bit like that, but better.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

Astroniomix posted:

One thing I've only just noticed is that the computer's voice echos on the anaconda. Has it always been like that or is that a recent change?

It has always been like that.

Echoing maybe makes sense, 'cause you're in a much bigger area?

When I first flew an Anaconda it freaked me out - sounded like ship voice had become much more stern & disapproving.

Anything starting with 'warning' was like, poo poo, my expensive new ship is going to blow up!

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

Yeah, I convinced myself in the course of writing that post. I think I can see why they haven't bothered, though. Most people would want separate player groups like Diablo has, to prevent normal players from doing stuff like suicide ramming ironman players (that clipper fit from a couple pages back comes to mind :v:). Adding another layer of division on top of a community already divided between Open, Private, and Solo seems unhealthy.

Unless you have just one the one chance for an ironman run per account, I can see people making cheap disposable CMDRs to do the ramming thing anyway.

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

I'm just pontificating here so stop me if they have said otherwise, but I think as far as Frontier's thinking when they said that stuff early on, Solo is Offline. They seem to consider the BGS and all of the galactic shifting an integral part of the game, not something that's disposable. So if it's going to be part of the game no matter what, does it really matter if the fluctuations are generated by a computer or by people you never see? The end result is the exact same. I don't buy internet connection being a real problem (edit: Australia and air travel excluded :ohdear:) in this day and age, so the whole true offline thing seems like hypersemantic whining to me.

As a die-hard carebear, having to being online doesn't bother me too much, although anything that is slower than it would otherwise be due to network issues at the server end does.

Nor do I much care about the BGS, and I'd happily give up the ability to affect it (and Powerplay) whilst in solo if only I could cheat/mod the fucker. An actual usable 3rd person camera, recharging ammo, not having to spend ages flying around to switch ships, etc.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

Astroniomix posted:

Frag cannons are legitimately good, load up 4 of them on a type-7 and go to town.

Better still, load up 4 large on an Anaconda. Even more better, get "The Pacifier" variant from pledging to Hudson in Powerplay, because they rock, and this is the most fun I have had killing things quickly in Elite so far.

Can't wait for the new 'huge' weapons.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

Dabir posted:

Is there a planet in 63 G with at least three moons? We name that one Goat.

I'm sure that somewhere amongst the 400 billion systems there's a black hole orbited by ten planets. One will have a ring.

And it shall be named goatse.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

Wozbo posted:

As far as I can tell cobra is one of those ships that you never get rid of. Same as Python and asp explorer.

I actually got rid of my Cobra way back when 'cause I needed the cash, but I'm going to get a new one just for nostalgia, and also to try out the Onionhead paintjob which is on a 40% off sale right now (along with tonnes of other paint jobs).

As a bonus, this comes with the bombed-out smiley decals which can be used on any of your ships :getin:

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

Turmoil posted:

I like how it costs $4.20.

As a :britain: citizen who once lived in California, I actually get that!

Blazin' £3 doesn't quite work though...

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry
Here's a neat ship comparison tool:

http://www.alpha-orbital.com/elite-sct/

Click the pics for more detail. Much prettier than the wiki anyway.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

IAmTheRad posted:

Is there a good entry-level not insanely expensive FAS build out there? Doesn't need to be A ranked, but I would like something with power that's not the Vulture to fly for a bit.

By crazy expensive I mean when you get into the 90mil range.

There are so many ways to make an awesome FAS. This is just north of ~30M depending on what discounts you can get access to, so not too crazy (that comes from the military armour and A-grade power mostly), and will still wreck things:

http://coriolis.io/outfit/federal_assault_ship/06D6C5A5D6A4D4C1e1e1s1s00040404B22d2b---.AwRj4yqA.AwiMIyso

If that's still too rich, the FSD could be downgraded, that's non-essential for fighter-ing.

The weapons are flexible as long as you're not looking at plasma/rails. Priority to upgrade would probably be the thrusters.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

Inverness posted:

Feel the burn.

Cooking lasers!

Gotta say I am loving the fact they seem to have finally designed something like an actual outfitting UI, and not just endless lists.

I might even be motivated enough to do something with 4+ weeks of Li Yong allegiance, and grab those pack-hound missiles as an option in the vague hope they become good.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

legooolas posted:

What does that give over the £35 I paid for the Lifetime Expansion Pass? I seem to get betas and all the seasons, and I only bought it because I felt bad about playing, er, "evaluation versions" of Elite: Frontier and possibly First Encounters.

Haha, I "evaluated" Elite too. Evaluated it off a mate with a tape-to-tape deck back in the '80s! Also why I coughed up for premium beta.

Aside from all the expansions for free (looking like a very good deal) , the main benefit I can think of was getting access to Founders world without being Elite in something. I think that was only meant to be a £300 alpha thing, but I ended up with it anyway.

The 10% discount isn't as good a bonus as it was now Li Yong space is a thing, but knowing you can buy *anything* from one place, including all the Imp/Fed ships is super useful.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry
Well, this is a thing:

https://www.elitedangerous.com/en/prefs/special-day

Which month to pick...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

Boogalo posted:

They dumped 32bit sometime this year. It was not insignificant savings, 10-15gb. Check your frontier folder, mine is only 15GB. I think its also harder to do beta stuff through steam.

Just updated ED for something to try out new Rift with whilst not having to stand up!

My folder was much more than double 15Gb.

Then I found all sorts of things in products folder that weren't "elite-dangerous-64" (started playing in original beta, never used Steam), deleted them, and it still all works with Horizons stuff - game is very SSD friendly compared to most:

Now I have forgotten everything, have ships scattered everywhere, and no idea what I'm doing. And in VR. This should be fun again for a while.

• Locked thread