Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Fojar38 posted:

Oracle Station was an inside job

Hydrogen Fuel can't melt spacestation hab rings!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Ive succumbed to space madness again, I'm already 5k ly away from the bubble and rapidly moving away :D

https://imgur.com/a/P0uSr

This album will continue to grow as I move further outwards, the eventual goal is to join the 65,000 LY club by reaching Beagle Point. I'm already 6500 LY from 63 G. Capricorni. as of the time of finishing this post. I moved 1500 light years while setting up the album link.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Dec 19, 2017

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Anime Store Adventure posted:

The thing that honestly blows my god damned mind about Elite is that it is 100% set up for some kind of GTAV Shark card system where Frontier sells the cash, because there is absolutely no reason for them to gate poo poo so incredibly painfully behind the credit and/or rank grind unless they intended to milk you for cash to do it.

Maybe I’m missing something here but they have absolutely no incentive for me to play 2 hours a day versus 1 hour every two months so long as I buy the next thing they sell. MMO mechanics, while some are still fun, embody the desire to keep you playing, because that’s $15 every 30 days, or more, in today’s market.

You know what makes me sometimes spend money on this game? Getting a new ship and wanting to throw on a skip kit, a skin, a name, etc. If we progressed fast enough to own more god drat ships Frontier wouldn’t have such a poo poo reputation and would also be making more loving money.

Also, gently caress the argument that I should “enjoy the game and not chase exploits for the most money.” You’re allowed to have fun in your 5mil, fully kitted and engineered Vulture. That’s been my favorite ship so far! But if I want to headcanon that I’m some crazy deep space explorer who needs a highly customized Anaconda to fit all the modules you might need out in the black, I shouldn’t have to play 400 hours of tedious garbage to do it. Anyone making that argument is either being disingenuous or is dodging the issue. I enjoy missions, I enjoy trading. I don’t enjoy missions or trading the 200th time in the same ship and I have to do both at least 100 times each to be close to the money required for my new ship.

Imagine any other game where people would defend playing only in the worse versions of things. “You can experience all of the different gameplay mechanics in this mmo at level 30, so there’s no point to get to 50.” “The combat of this RPG doesn’t change dramatically past the tutorial, so you should only play that.” I could go on. No other game in the world has ever defended this point, I don’t know why the hell people come out of the woodwork to make it for Elite. I love the mid-level ships and progression - that doesn’t mean there isn’t a reason to want the better ones. (Which, sorry “Cobra does everything” crowd, the more expensive ships are almost 100% straight upgrades to most gameplay in every way for everything other than agility and even that can be marginal.)

I hate that I only ever write a thousand word essay on the pitfalls of this game - I really do enjoy the base level poo poo. I just wish it were a little more friendly to casual progression. I don’t get any satisfaction from their grind.

I’ll have the large Frontier Fries, extra salt please.

Do like me, kit out a DBX, fly out to Beagle Point, and back. By the time you get back, you should have plenty of dosh from scanning and will be able to slap down cold hard credits for your shiny anaconda.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I mean, I get that, but that’s kinda not the point for me. I know I can jump out of the bubble at any time, but part of the fun for me is doing it in a perfect kit. I want repair limpets, I want a buggy, I want two AFMUs. I could pop out without that, but that detracts from the experience. I’ve been to Colonia and back and not needed a single AFMU or used a buggy more than as a time killer. I’ve never needed a repair limpet. But that’s the fun of outfitting your ship!

We’re both out there staring at autogenerated planets and it bugs me when people (not you, for clarity) say that I’m being unreasonable because I don’t want to spend hundreds of hours to get my (admittedly, expensive) flavor of that. The same goes for any role, too.

I'd bet you don't go camping unless you have a 750,000 dollar Class A RV as well.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

ickna posted:

I thought I was being clever and plotted a course below the galactic plane towards a nebula 10k ly northwest of the bubble in my 50ly DBX. About 50% of the scoopable star systems had already been fully scanned. As I got closer to the nebula, more and more of the planets further out from the stars had been scanned and named. Like hundreds of thousands of ls from the entry point icy bodies. CMDR Pete had a lot of free time or some completionist fetish, drat.

Speaking of broke brains boredom, I had a 10 hour flight from Atlanta to Honolulu this week and chose to spend half of it getting drunk and playing this game with my xbox controller on my laptop, jumping out to Pete’s nebula over the satellite internet connection with >1 sec pings. I legitimately dozed off a couple of times during witch space jumps that were anywhere from 30s to 2 mins. Props to whoever mentioned a few pages ago about setting your throttle to minimum before jumping out.

Days later and fully sober, I plotted a new course due east into a sea of black holes another 10k away. My money is on only making it 40 jumps before I get the itch to cash out what I’ve got and head back to the Capricorni. Gotta put that sweet golden paint on my DBX before I hit the abyss again anyways.

Most of the systems I've hit in between nebulas have been completely unscanned, but then again I'm very coreward in between two nebulae. Last I checked, I was over 11k from Sol, and 13k from Colonia.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Blind Rasputin posted:

So what’s the easiest way to get vr for this game. Do Xbox and PC accounts crossover or is everything you own on one not there on the other?

PC. There is no Xbox support for VR, nor does Playstation VR work for this. Your only choice is whether to go for Vive, Oculus Rift, or one of the many budget sets built on Microsoft's VR/AR API. Microsoft's gig is supported by Steam VR, and the sets all use inside-out tracking, so it should work the same as if you were using a Vive, but you're going to have to contend with budget parts problems if you buy a budget headset. The samsung set really isn't budget, it's basically the best poo poo you can get that supports Microsoft's API, and the halo headband is a million times better than anything on a Rift or Vive.

Also, regarding PC/Xbox/PS4 crossover of data, search your heart and you will find the answer.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Dec 20, 2017

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

limaCAT posted:

I too wish X3 didn't suck donkey balls for UI, graphics and gameplay.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/392160/X4_Foundations/

Got a game for you!

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

iospace posted:

I got my Diamondback Explorer! :woop: And I made enough from my Star of India trip to buy it with class A AMFUs and class A fuel scoop.

:shobon:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Krycek posted:

It takes a lot of data. I think it's easier to do rolls unless you already have the data.

10 million exploration data isn't hard to come by.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Merry Christmas to me, I sold my Python finally and upgraded to the DFS Majestic Spaceduck.

This thing is remarkably agile for a ship that needs to land on a large pad. I was pretty impressed with how nimble it feels for its size. I haven't gotten around to engineering it up yet, as I just bought it yesterday and haven't had too much time to mess with it.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Robert Red Rocket posted:

So I got this game during the sales and am thinking of buying a logitech extreme 3D Pro joystick to use with my G27 set, essentially using the pedals for rudders and throttling. Is this sufficient enough or do I still need a keyboard by my side if I use the buttons provided with the G27, or is this just a really terrible idea in general.

It's pretty unconventional, that and aviation rudder pedals are not like car gas/brake, they're more on a "slide" so to speak, and pushing in the right rudder pedal will push the left one out, and vice versa. I'd recommend at a minimum invest in a HOTAS if you're going for immersion, instead of using kb/m. Game is perfectly serviceable with keyboard and mouse, or gamepad, or single joystick or whatever, I just personally find it easier to control with a separate throttle unit with its additional buttons.

For the price of a Logitech 3d Pro, you can buy a Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X, which will run you about 40 bucks before shipping. It's not excellent, but it gives you better control than what a Logitech 3d pro will give, due to the separate throttle and the ability to control your directional thrusters on the throttle using rocker switches.

Also, on any joystick, there will be a twist to yaw built in usually, this is accurate enough for Elite just fine, using rudder pedals is something I've never needed to do, mainly because you won't find yourself yawing much in this game in a combat situation, mostly you roll and then pull or push on the stick because the ships are faster through the vertical axis than the horizontal one.

Other comedy options for joysticks if you have a little bit more money (in order of price)

Thrustmaster T16000M FCS (This one requires two USB ports, as they were designed as separate units!)

Logitech X52 Flight Control System

Logitech x52 Pro FCS

Logitech Pro Flight X56 RHINO HOTAS

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Flight Stick

Personally I've put a shitload of hours on a 12 year old X52, and other than having to break it apart and put new grease on the internal plastic bits, never had a problem with the physical hardware. Saitek got bought out by Mad Catz a couple years back, their QC went to absolute poo poo, and then they got sold off to Logitech for loving pennies compared to their original value. Who knows if the "new" Logitech X52 stick has improved QC from the Mad Catz days, but I've never had real problems with Logitech's PC stuff, unlike Mad Catz which was unrepentant garbage every time I bought a peripheral from them.

What I can say is the Logitech driver package for the X52 is much loving improved from the Mad Catz days, which bodes well for overall quality. There used to be a persistent bug, that they knew about and left in for years with the Mad Catz software that would cause your system to lock up within 10-15s after unplugging the HOTAS from your computer, the only way to prevent this was to force exit the HOTAS software from your task manager, and then force stop the Saitek services in your services tab. The Logitech software has shown no evidence of this bug, and it looks like they completely rewrote the entire driver package from the old Saitek/Mad Catz kit.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jan 1, 2018

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

osirisisdead posted:

lol, look at this theory-crafter (that or troll trying to trick noobs into following them into hell) over here. Big ships don't work the same way as little ships.

if I only need to roll my ship to hit the little bastards nipping at my heels, I'm going to have so much more reliable time on target that the extra DPS is at least a wash, not to mention forcing chaff earlier and more often. You aren't going to ever outmaneuver a fighter in a gunship.

Man don't gently caress with Kurr, he will show you some poo poo you just wouldn't believe.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

because there are literally no consequences for ganking people in this game and when rebuys start getting into the millions, that a not insignificant time spent recouping your costs so some manchild can get their rocks off

In the era of lucrative passenger runs, a single good run is what, 6-7 rebuys? Oh dearie me, how will I ever make the money from getting nailed in open back?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Oh come on how many times did you have to look at that before you got it?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Blind Rasputin posted:

The highlights aren’t mine I was just cross posting a funny picture.

Wasn't trying to come across as an rear end, sorry bout that, but yeah I noticed that the first time I saw the faction name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Blind Rasputin posted:

While the sound effects individuals in this game are already very good it is missing one key thing. When I come out of 40 minutes of supercruise the hull of my ship should be literally smoking from space friction.

:catstare:

Frame shift is closer to an Alcubierre drive than anything, you're stationary in a bubble of space and bending it around you. So, when you arrive at a destination, you should blast everything in front of you with a lethal cone of gamma rays and alpha/beta particles that have been caught up in the folded space. Basically dropping out of supercruise should sterilize whatever you're dropping out near.

• Locked thread