Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Paramemetic posted:

I mean, they literally already did this. It's going into effect with the first wave of them with 1.4 and should be lookable in open beta.

Is our name really Diamond Frogs or was that a joke in the other thread? Last time I checked, that name hadn't appeared yet in the list of approved player faction names on the Frontier-forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Dusty Lens posted:

It'll still be relevant in 800 years when teenagers use it to practice parking.

This is true, especially since in 800 years Earth is probably so overpopulated, you'll really do get killed for parking wrong.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Cactus posted:

No neither do I but I might if I purchased it again is all I'm saying, especially at full price. I'll probably either wait for a sale, or No Man's Sky might turn out to be really good, or make a drunken impulse-buy and convince myself I don't regret it the next day.

probably the latter

Eh, I'm paying half the full price of Elite every month for my two EVE-accounts, paying Frontier for a much better game the equivalent of a two-month subscription once a year is one of my better financial decisions. So I decided to pre-order every Elite-expansion as soon as possible.

I hope No Man's Sky turns out good, too. The more space games, the merrier.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

DarthBlingBling posted:

Which list is this?

If you're referring to the old rear end one they posted a while back then no, of course our new name won't be on that list.

Could be, it was apparently updated end of August. Some guys posted about another update a couple days ago, but it's the :frontear:-forum so who knows if that's true? :shrug:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

frank.club posted:

No see the orca is a luxury cruise ship that serves a niche that is not now nor will ever be implemented.

Or November 2015, when 1.5 drops. Whatever comes first.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

frank.club posted:

Did they mention that in the patch notes for 1.5?

It was mentioned by some dev on the forums. Patch notes for 1.5 are a bit far away right now, considering we're still in the beta for 1.4. But even though I'm too lazy to search around the Frontier-forums for the concrete post, I remember the dev mentioning passenger missions coming, which is what passenger ships like the Orca were made for.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

So as someone who only bounty hunts and has no interest in trading or exploration, is a Cobra the next logical upgrade from the Viper?

Wouldn't the Imperial Courier make more sense? The Cobra is more for people who want to do a little bit of trading or exploring on the side. It's not a bad ship, but if you only want to fight, the Viper or the Imperial Eagle followed by the Imperial Courier and then by the Vulture is the logical progression.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

GaylordButts posted:

Had the pricing been announced that far in advance? I don't recall anything until it showed up in the store with their stellar "limited time loyalty discount" to save tenbux. I'm fine with them selling expansions, but usually those aren't the same price as the base game and when I buy an expansion I know at least an idea of the full content of it and not this "It's a year of updates *wink*" crap.

As someone who is also trying to avoid KS/Early Access stuff the longer you can hold off on buying this game the better. It needed WAY more time to bake when I bought "version 1.0" back in January and should still have an Early Access banner slathered across it's steam page.

On the other hand, if you like flying spaceships and aren't really interested in any of that superfluos other crap, preordering the game and every expansion as soon as it is possible isn't a bad decision either.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

FuzzySlippers posted:

Maneuvering is fun but outside of combat there doesn't seem to be much you do. Taking off and landing is really cool and are still the most impressive moments I've had in the game. So far everything else is just point at star, space warp key, point at nav target, slow down, space warp key. Are there tasks out there that are more interactive?

Yes, you could try to reach the galactic edge, for example. Or try to make your own private map of human space. Or make up any other tasks you prefer. Some people even do some mining.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

GaylordButts posted:

There are many people who would say preordering everything the moment you can is maybe not a great plan and can encourage shady development practices.

And they are 100% right. Which is why I was talking about Elite specifically. Most games interest me just enough I decide to maybe buy them on a Steam sale five years after they came out. I'm not in danger of encouraging shady development practices. :v:

FuzzySlippers posted:

Yeah that's the meta but the actual steps to doing it are still what I listed right? Are there hazards associated with fringe space? Popping out in front of suns is really cool, but so far I just have to not fly into them. Is mining just tedium?

What I mean is that if you are playing it as a space truck sim currently I'm pretty much only parking. In between I don't have to stay in my lane, avoid other cars, adjust for road hazards, or even really navigate. I just point in a vague direction, hit a key a few times, and wait.

Not that I'm saying all those kinda tasks make sense in a space environment (space is super big and all) but just to indicate how it feels like I'm not interacting much in even the casual way of a truck sim except with my big galaxy map. Which is a shame because like I said actually just moving the ship around is kinda fun.

I can speak only for exploration and keep in mind Horizons will add in planetary landings for rocky/icy planets without atmospheres (and there are tons of those), I obviously can't talk about that either since it hasn't come out yet.

Apart from that, just not flying into suns isn't enough to save you, it just seems that way because the galaxy is loving huge and a lot of star systems are quite harmless as long as you aren't moving from your drop-in point.

Hazards in space I know about are:

- Star systems with multiple suns sometimes drop you close enough to one or more suns you have to do more then just parking.
- Special stars like White Dwarfs, Neutron Stars, Black Holes and even T-Tauri Stars and other assorted crap can gently caress you over if underestimate them. It's easy to misjudge distance and get burned.
- Black Holes are a special case because if you get too close to them, you can't get away. Space suddenly curves around you, like it would in RL. You can jump out of course, if your remember no to panic.

Aside from that, if you feel you need to navigate more, just visit one of the many, many ring systems and asteroid belts. In my earlier exploration-adventures I visited an icy ring just to boost through it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTGO-szs1z8

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tom Guycot posted:

Yeah this is a really fair point and I'll be honest, when I was testing out the new ships I wasn't paying attention to the costs at all. I guess my problem is more the anaconda is already pretty useless for combat really, but at least it can haul your whole stamp collection and the kitchen sink, the gunship has a terrible amount of cargo capacity.

I guess the comparison I should have made was with the assault ship which is way zippier,faster, cheaper and has one more large hardpoint on it (though missing the small and 2 medium hard points).

It just feels like a ship without any reason to buy it. If you have 50 million to spend, whether you want to trade or fight theres a better ship in that price range you could be getting.

You know, this is kind of interesting. This observation makes it look like Frontier can only lose here: If they make more ships, people will complain about many of them not being the absolute best in whatever category. If they don't make more ships, people will complain about having not enough choice.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

FronzelNeekburm posted:

The trouble with ships is the time-to-upgrade gaps between Cobra-and-below and everything above it. Maybe making the Anaconda half-price isn't the right move, but it'd be nice to have some sort of ship to jump to after an Asp that isn't 50 hours of grinding trading (or an accomplice thereof). Even in a T7, "you have 50 million credits lying around" isn't a given.

Of course, this is the old "Can't buy ships" vs. "Make your own fun instead of chasing the biggest ships" argument again, but until CQC launches, it's what we're left with these days.

Yeah, I feel that huge money gap makes people more frustrated then they would be normally. For an explorer, going Adder -> DBS -> DBE -> Asp -> ? -> Anaconda, you could possibly change to a more expensive ship purely on doing exploration right up to the Asp. Then you'll be hosed or forced into gameplay you don't like. (I'm playing since December 2014 and did rare trading to outfit my first Asp, since the DBS and the DBE didn't exist back then and exploration had even less payout then today. gently caress going back to trading again.)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

TorakFade posted:

It is, simply because your income is kind of capped right now. The best you can get is around what, 10 mil / hour in a lucky RES? And I think that's pretty min-maxed, I am not affiliated with any power and don't reset RES all the time, and my usual income is around 2-3 mil / hour. Let's not even mention that you might also want to do stuff that doesn't make you big bucks like exploring, moving around, interdicting people or whatever.

If you only play 4-5 hours a week like I guess most normal people do, getting the hundreds of millions required to purchase, outfit and operate the big ships is a pain in the rear end. I have a Python, I'm working on upgrading it but it takes a loooong time...

Don't forget if you're an explorer, you won't have RES nor trading, since we're out there in the great beyond. Not much to shoot at or trade with here. So we only get money from our exploration alone. But scanning down everything, even everything worthwile, would lead to a fast burnout, so we have to travel at a more leisurely pace, which means even less money.

I have my Asp, an Imperial Courier in storage back in civilization and 33 million credits in the bank. And that's with continuously playing since December last year. Explorers are even more hosed by Elite's income system.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
(Crosspost just in case someone misses the other thread)

Just a head's up: Frontier is giving away codes for free paintjobs over the next few days, so even if it pains you, you should probably log into the forum at least occasionally in that time period.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

timn posted:

Calling bullshit on the bounty vouchers. I turned in tens of millions of credits worth in bounty vouchers and never saw a single rank ascension mission until I tried my hand at grinding charity missions.

I have to call bullshit, too. The Feds threw several rank missions at me for doing literally nothing for them. And my advance through empire-ranks was by using solely non-combat missions. Sure, it was a bit wonky sometimes -either I got nothing for days or got flooded with rank missions, but it was still rather fast overall.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

frank.club posted:

We don't have quasars

Come on, procedural generation is good and all, but before we can have multiple galaxies Frontier needs more servers and time. A shitload of time, since we at least know something about our galaxy, but quasars are weird enough Frontier would be hard pressed to make a quasar-map make sense.

On the other hand, if Frontier runs out of ideas for expansions in a decade, I could see them going through our galactic neighbourhood for some more galaxies. I don't think we'd get quasars even then, though: Galaxies with active cores are all too far away as far as I know.

Our descendents will probably finally get them in Elite: Marvelous: Quasars, when it comes out in 2077.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

frank.club posted:

Dang dude I was just saying. I mixed up the two

OK, that does happen occasionally. Some people get hang up on the radio-thing and confuse the two, or just confuse the two names because they both end with -sar. Or they only know about one of the two things and think both names refer to that one. It's like the guys in bad 80s SciFi using "galaxy" and "solar system" like synonymes, just translated through better knowledge of astronomy.

Pulsars and quasars are like a normal sun to a normal galaxy, just with active radio emissions thrown in. A pulsar is a neutron star which rotates so fast they generate strong radio impulses: They "pulse". A quasar is a radio galaxy with an active core throwing gigantic radio emissions our way. Essentially a galaxy with a giant black hole working like a giant Pulsar.

Most of the pulsars in the Milkyway aren't reachable by players, by the way. That's because many pulsars sit in globular star clusters orbiting the galactic core from so far out, you'd need to cross many thousands of light years through the almost-empty galactic halo to reach them.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
For those doubting Frontier: It's confirmed, 1.4, CQC and X-Box launch is coming tomorrow morning.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Emnity posted:

I've seen and heard of exploration setups in Asps, Haulers, Cobras and Condas..

Anyone have any views or load-outs for an exploration Python, or a bad idea?

Not much on any web-searches for them either. This may be a hint it is a bad idea, but I fancy a change!

There isn't anything against a Python as an explorer. As long as you stay away from the galactic edges. But if you want to go corewards, where stars are close together, you'll probably not have any problems reaching everything.

Also don't use coriolis, it's displaying jump range wrong. Practical experience has shown EDshipyard to be more accurate, so I'm using that instead. Since the Python is a multirole-fit, having 25 ly/jump range and some weapons and an empty slot for Horizon is more than enough. Just put whatever else you want in that free slot until Horizons comes out.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Shine posted:

It kept crapping out on me last night, too, including when I found a 50% platinum rock :argh:

Everything seemed fine yesterday. Then today I log in again and find out the server seriously hosed itself. First, it erased all scans I made inside the solar system I was in last yesterday. Second, one of the gas giants was just a giant unscannable void now.

I'm seriously hoping it's really only the last that is bugged and not all 27 systems I explored yesterday.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Sekenr posted:

Whoever missed the notice in laucher:

:siren: STOP EXPLORING :siren:

gently caress. I made 47 jumps yesterday!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

chaosapiant posted:

Play CQC until poo poo's patched, shouldn't be too long.

They don't even know yet what the issue is, so I remain sceptic. :colbert:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

RubberJohnny posted:

Procedural generation means all of the worlds will be generated with the same algorithm though, I can safely judge based on this one because every rocky vacuum world will look exactly like that, maybe with faint atmospheric haze.

I think there should be at least some interesting terrain to look at rather than just Perlin noise - it doesn't need to be quite Minecraft Amplified levels of interesting rock formations, but something, and literally a single texture for something the size of ten Earths is kind of ridiculous.

You make a lot of assumptions based on a 20-second video of some prototype.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Shine posted:

If you want to lazily out-turn with enemies, then get an Eagle. If you want something better suited to tackle larger ships (better firepower and survivability), then get the Viper. It's not as nimble as the Eagle, so you'll be more reliant on speed and positioning and less on simply turning inside people.

I haven't used the Adder, but I'd skip it; the Cobra is a much better multirole ship and won't take long to afford if you're decent at bounty hunting.

Don't forget the Imperial Eagle: It's basically a better armed Eagle. So if you don't like the Viper for some reason you can upgrade your Eagle to an Imperial Eagle instead.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

timn posted:

7x railguns. :colbert:

I love railguns, but thanks to being really bad at aiming I never had any success with them.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

KakerMix posted:

The Federal Assault ship is a very good low-number-of-targets ship, it's maneuverability is insane and the speed at which it can change direction with just maneuvering thrusters is quite incredible. You can engage a target and blast the poo poo out of it before it even has time to react. If it does react just twirl around it as it fruitlessly tries to get a bead on you.
Incidentally it also makes a very good civilian killer :v:

Wow, I may try this ship for combat then when I come back from the Outer Arm. I thought about refitting my Asp before, but I didn't know the FA is actually more maneuverable. My lovable little blimp can stay the explorer and get stored, it seems.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

slidebite posted:

What's the best way to find a high-tech world if nothing shows up when you try to filter by economies in galaxy view? I'm in the middle of nowhere but I want to load up on gold, etc and bring back other good stuff. Also want to more properly outfit my python.

Try to zoom out a bit, sometimes the world you want is just around the corner. It's annoying, but it happens regardless. Also try to switch everything else off to reduce clutter.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
gently caress, for a moment today I thought the dense mass of brown dwarfs and growing voids of emptiness between the stars would stop me, but I got lucky and crossed the worst.

Now I'm closing in on the Outer Arm and from there to the edge of the galaxy. If I keep this speed up, I should be back home in December. :v:

Fake Edit:

I found, among other things, another Earth-like and my first 100% pure metal world. Didn't even know those existed, but welp! Here we are.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

imperialparadox posted:

This...I want a Vulture now.

Is the Vulture the next step up for a combat-focused ship for a guy in a Cobra, or is there anything in-between?

If you don't want to side-step into a Viper, take an Imperial Courier. Sweet ship and easily affordable.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Shine posted:

See my edit. Add people to friends and it's completely painless. He's probably doing it the hard way.

This is maybe a dumb question, but is there some kind of friends list somewhere? I added some friends but I never used that part of the UI before and have no idea how to do things like looking up friends and sending direct messages.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Shine posted:

You can see/chat/invite online friends in the Comms panel (the little person tab), and you can see all friends in the main menu's Friends and Private Groups screen.

So that's what the little men are for, thanks. Of course the guys who invited me aren't on there, maybe because I'm 10k light years away from them or something. Have to see if they show up in the main menu when I'm stopping for tonight.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Insert name here posted:

Yeah I'm pretty :geno: on the whole "weak shields but heavy armour" thing. How does armour work anyway? Coriolis has an armour number but I have no clue how that interacts with damage taken.

That's quite easy. First off, more armor means damage takes longer to chew through your ship. Second, normal armor takes more damage from kinetic hits than from laser and heat weapons. Some of the upgrade options for armor play around with this, like mirror armor reducing damage by lasers.

Then there is penetration. Now that Frontier actually assigned a value to each ship, certain weapons like rail guns still can shoot through your ship to hit modules on your back, but other weapons are thankfully resigned to shoot whatever they actually can aim at. Also larger ships are harder to penetrate, so the Assault Ship should be quite resistant to module damage in a fight.

The one drawback of armor is repair costs. Shields recharge automatically, armor has to be repaired. Still, if you're fighting mainly lasers, armor can be superior to shields. Until you see the repair bill, that is. :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Just shooting around in CQC is fun. A nice little diversion from my mad adventures at the edge of the galaxy. But some guys really take this too seriously. After finishing my last match, I read some of the in-game communication afterwards. Apparently someone had told me "Don't Solo" for some reason during the match.

Welp, sorry buddy but when I'm fighting I'm too busy to read your messages. Also my headset is burried under some stuff I'm too lazy to put away. Sorry! (:v:)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mike the TV posted:

84 million credits and an 8 ly jump range.

That's because he forgot to upgrade his FSD. It's still a D. 15 ly/jump with a proper A-class.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Drake_263 posted:

The combat benefit of chaff really depends on the ship you're flying. Chaff is best for small, nimble ships like Sideys, Eagles, Vipers, Diamondbacks - I'd say the biggest ships that really benefit from chaff are things like Cobras and Vultures. Any bigger ships than that (I'm looking at you Asp) tend to be so big that even if their gimbals are going nuts, chances are they're going to hit SOMETHING on you.

It does, however, keep people in PVP from punking your subsystems regardless of ship size (assuming they're not using fixed guns).

Don't forget chaff won't help if your enemies are good at aiming. Because you can just de-select your target und still shoot your gimbals like fixed weapons. A very good pilot won't be affected by chaff that much.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
All this Sothis-talk really makes me wish we could have multiple commander slots. I really do love being 10k light years from civilization, but having to travel back several weeks of gaming time if I want to try new ships is getting old.

At least CQC lets me shoot ships if I want, so I'm not totally demoralized but still. Two commanders and the ability to transfer funds between them. Do that and I'm happy, Frontier. :colbert:

On the other hand, being forced to continue exploring due to not being able to do anything else means I can drop more data on our new home, which means more influence for the Diamond Frogs.

Edit:

Oh I almost forgot, I found some kind of data recorder in a debris cloud, 9k light years from civilization. Sadly, I later jettisoned it because I thought getting 0,2 ly more range would allow me to get to the Outer Arm faster. But most of the problem stars in my way are so far apart from each other (like 40+ light years apart), having a single data cache in my cargo hold would have been completely irrelevant.

Welp, I still have a screenshot as proof. :v:

Libluini fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Oct 16, 2015

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Alehkhs posted:

I don't see anything wrong with just calling them "ice toads" in the story. :confused:

Yeah, explaining the joke is always fun let's do that

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

SynthOrange posted:

Jesus how did anyone even find that? Sothis at least has a trail of breadcrumbs.

Since the deal with Sothis (and Fehu, I assume) is the distance to civilized space, you can easily find more systems like them on your own: Just play around with your map filters to find the few systems far away from the rest of the bubble.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Shine posted:

You can't sell them through the Munitions menu, or jettison them from your cargo bay?

You can sell limpets at some stations. At some of course you're hosed and can only buy them. Or don't have them available at all. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

LCL-Dead posted:

All :frontear: needs to do is get the location of the star and have it mapped into the system properly.

http://www.iflscience.com/have-we-really-discovered-huge-alien-megastructure-around-star

Would be an interesting way to introduce the Thargoids or any other sentient race, especially if the star falls into one of those areas that's blocked off by a pass requirement.

Would be funny if it indeed is a giant alien megastructure and those guys turn up next year or something to visit us. (Remember, that star is 1400+ light years away, so that structure, if it exists, was already there 1400+ years ago.)

• Locked thread