Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Some of the posts were poo poo like "Smuggling is so unfair I've been playing since December and only have 11 million"

That's indeed bullshit, yeah. First off, I'm like the most casual player ever and made most of my money through exploration and still got three times as much by slowly playing since December. Second, what the hell is this whiny jealousy crappost nothing prevented you from doing smuggling you retard that's not what unfair means

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Wait but how

I'm trying to spec one out and I can't figure out how to get 500 ly range

http://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/05D5D5A4D4D5D5C----------050402f3f300f2.Iw18WQ==.Aw18WQ==

Do I have too many cargo racks?

Scooping is what I hate most about the run

Seriously, don't be greedy. 80t cargo and a 5B fuel scoop will be the far better choice for your peace of mind. What if you find a way to stretch your range to 500 ly but accidentally jump to a brown dwarf at the very end? Wouldn't you feel silly?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Wait but how

I'm trying to spec one out and I can't figure out how to get 500 ly range

http://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/05D5D5A4D4D5D5C----------050402f3f300f2.Iw18WQ==.Aw18WQ==

Do I have too many cargo racks?

Scooping is what I hate most about the run

e: It's kit this up or go straight for a FAS I can afford and go pew pew haz

http://coriolis.io/outfit/federal_assault_ship/25A5A5A5D5A4D4C27271b1b0j00--4a0335295327.Iw18cQ==.Aw18cQ==

e2: vvvv rad thanks dude

http://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/04A5D5A4D4D5D5C------02---05380202432f2i.Iw18WQ==.Aw18WQ==

This is far better for a relaxed smuggling run. At least in my opinion. Since you're not using much energy, you can easily squeeze out even more range by downgrading to a lower class A power plant. (I suggest letting it be a A-class for the better heat management. The one time you go sun diving against your will you will thank me for that.)

The FAS-option is also good, though.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

3 posted:

I'd probably lose the Surface Scanner too, since if you're kitting out something for smuggling, you're probably going to want to just jump in, honk, scoop, and leave ASAP.

Eh, I keep forgetting not everyone is an explorer, all my ships have scanners. Because sometimes you just find something interesting and fitting scanners into the two smallest slots isn't really degrading your ship performance. On average, you'll probably make more money by occasionally scanning something than by cramming some more tons of cargo inside. But I guess it's up to personal taste. I just don't like having no scanners. :shrug:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Shine posted:

I don't see how that would happen unless you're manually setting waypoints instead of just letting your space computer handle it. I did all my Sothis runs in this Asp and never came close to getting into trouble. The unladen range is more than enough to get to Sothis, and the laden range is more than enough to get to whichever delivery system is closest to Sothis. On a few occasions I traded the smaller fuel tanks for cargo holds to squeeze in another mission or two.

Man, I keep forgetting how small the bubble is. You're right, you probably could make a route between two settled systems with stations and therefore never run into trouble as long as you're 100% sure your fuel tank can stretch that far.

On the other hand, I prefer sometimes to just go into a sight-seeing tour a couple jumps sideways, even in the bubble. Not having a scoop and being forced to go to stations for refuels would just suck for me. In a ship without them I feel like travelling blind and with a silent death counter counting down.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Oct 20, 2015

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

SynthOrange posted:

I wouldnt be so negative if this game did anything right. I enjoyed playing it but after while the half assed... everything just gets hard to ignore.

At least I had a pretty spaceship for a little while. :unsmith:

Maybe I should start posting over and over again how I enjoy everything you find boring and claim it is because Frontier made the game perfect.

Would that annoy you? If yes, maybe pull back on the negative lane before you crash, Nancy.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
To honor finally reaching the edge of the Milkyway, I present to you this shot:

http://inara.cz/gallery/0/1589

I call it "Elite: Horizons Arrives Early". :v:

This planet is actually an Earth-like with a giant glacier on it, I just made the screenshot look like I was passing some mountaing range while landing. If sapient life ever developes on that rock, they'll have a lot of real-estate available in-system: That same system has multiple terraforming-candidates and high-metal planets to exploit. Too bad it's about 9k light years from the bubble, it would be perfect for colonization!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

orange juche posted:

Libluini next time you come home from the black, here's a neat game to try with random exploration if you ever get bored of just jumping system to system.

E: I'm probably gonna try this when I reach the core, and do that for about a week or 2 before heading back home to sell data. I'll obviously forego the lives portion because I'll be ~26000 LY from home, but it should generate a decent amount of "First Discovered" systems for me.

Huh. That's an interesting idea. I would have to use one of my 1D4 out here, though. Not enough targets for normal dice. :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

orange juche posted:

Because frontier just grabbed all the levers and yanked them backwards. What's lovely is the people on the forums crowing about how happy that they are that the missions got nerfed because how dare you expect to make credits in a somewhat reasonable amount of time because the old elite games you had to work so much harder for everything.

Frontier should do the same thing the company I'm sometimes filling out polls for does: If someone gives clearly insane opinions, the poll closes itself and deletes the mad and clearly wrong answers.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

LCL-Dead posted:

The following bit. My Asp didn't have any guns on it and so when I jumped into a system where the intended stations was 10kLS out and 3 NPCs immediately appeared behind me, I knew I was in for a bad night. Three separate times the same NPC in the same Adder interdicted me. 3 separate times I failed to evade and was pulled out of SC. All without even going 600ls towards my 10k target. I finally got pissed and 4 pipped system so I could ram the fucker to death and then continued on.

All together.. the paltry 12 million scored from the Fehu missions wasn't worth the amount of time and frustration spent dealing with the broken interdiction mechanic.

You know, for reasons like this I like to arm my little Rogue Traders. Because what the gently caress man, you got waylaid by a loving Adder? I could sometimes punt Adders away even with a T6 and two class 1 pulse lasers.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
As nice as it is to hear all this stuff about Horizons, I really wish Frontier would consider telling us stuff about new ships earlier. Waiting to almost until the beta drops to get something concrete is getting old.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dante80 posted:

Well, we know what ships are coming, what type they are etc etc. I agree that a couple of sneak peeks would be dandy at this point, on the other hand though the ships are a free update (1.5) so it makes sense for FDEV to spend more time on talking about Horizons..

The fed corvette and imp cutter will be end game anaconda sized ships (it would be nice if we knew the ranks for them in advance), the imp fighter will be the condors' counterpart in CQC, and the Viper mkIV / Cobra mkIV will be larger (better?) versions of their mkIII counterparts.

On the other hand, we have no idea what the deal with the Asp Scout is and the new Lakon-ship is another mystery (another cargo-ship, another explorer, a military ship?).

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Slashrat posted:

I thought they nerfed module selling to only give 90% as well a while back. Did they change their mind?

Yes, they did.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

frank.club posted:

For sure wait until they do their Black Friday sale. Last year they hosed up and gave a bunch a skins away for free.

I still have a bunch of Eagle and Cobra skins I got this way. :haw:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

orange juche posted:

It takes ~12-18 hours of flight time at a steady pace, 9 hours if you're moving at a breakneck speed. Of course that's only counting time you're not faffing about doing other poo poo, it took me 5 days 3 hours 44 mins 40 seconds to complete the trip, due to work and other poo poo.

:psyduck: I always feel so lazy when people do this poo poo in a couple days. It took me 7 weeks to cross half the distance when I travelled to the galactic edge. And this is counting only the time I was actually playing steadily.

Even if I could force myself to stop everything except jumping, it still would take me at least 30 hours, 60 is more likely. That's still about two weeks to the center of the galaxy if you have other stuff besides Elite to do.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Slashrat posted:

Don't. I started my trip out into the void back in the start of August, and I only reached Sag A* a couple of days ago. The biggest commitment to make is accepting that the next 20-30 hours you spend playing Elite, ignoring CQC, will consist entirely of jumping from system to system, punctuated by refueling and maybe taking pretty screenshots.

Also, always buy A-rated scoops. Even if you figure you'll just go a few thousand lightyears out from Sol to test the waters.

This reminds me, I had some big fight long ago on the official forums because I was of the opinion A-scoops are a waste of money if your B-scoop is already large enough. I don't want another fight so I won't recount all my arguments here, but I personally disagree. Sometimes B is enough.

And yeah, I learned the hard way I'm not of the right temperament for fast travel like Orange Juche does it. Back when I travelled to the Taurus Pulsar, I thought when coming back "6k light years? I should be able to do this in 7 hours, two days tops!". Nearly burned me out and it still took me 9 hours for 5k light years. :shepface:

I prefer the slower way, on some days I even only play CQC!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

But seriously, Frontier better come out with a real high-end explorer soon. Taking the most expensive multi-role ship and ripping everything out to boost it's jump range is one of the sillier things in Elite.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Kesper North posted:

I tried out CQC last night and found it to be pretty fun, with the caveat that the matchmaker is perfectly willing to put Rank 1 and Rank 40 players in the the same match :negative:

Yeah, the ensuing slaughterfest is always hilarious.

On the other hand, I reached rank 12 yesterday, got multicannons for the Sidewinder and went to town. I also finally understood how the targetting for slower-than-light guns work and started hitting things with my plasma repeaters (Condor) and multicannons (Sidewinder). (:v:)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Met posted:

You're taking their targets. They're willing to suffer merit loss to dissuade you from playing.

Powerplay is ill conceived.

One would think if they're that fanatical with getting targets they would just drop into private/solo.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Solo and private play should never be able to impact influence. It should be a safe space to grind merits, credits, or rep, but the actions of a player in solo or private should have no impact on anyone else.

That would hurt us too, though. Think about those explorers coming back after months in the void to drop their exploration data to help us. They would still get their credits and rep, but Diamond Frogs would get no influence from all that exploration data.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

tooterfish posted:

If you're in an iClip, you can run from anything you can't kill anyway.

I play almost exclusively in open, the stories of frequent and random murder are wildly exaggerated.

Yeah, even I play in open mostly and I'm rather skittish normally. I just use solo/privat groups strategically for stuff like avoiding congested stations and not risking months of effort.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Natsuumi posted:

Oh there's a button alright, and it's labeled "self destruct"…

There was also a bug which would teleport you back to the last station you had visited. That bug would be handy right now. Sadly, Frontier actually fixed it pretty drat fast.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

The extra 1,990 lbs of weight comes from a backlog of 1,000 years worth of Windows/Macintosh/Linux installation CDs, since obviously every station might be running a different version, and it'd be just dumb to think that your computer can interface with everyone else's computer out of the box :v:

I like to imagine the 1ton-computers are actually just the stupid and inevitable result of modular engineering after a thousand years of progress: If you want a computer, it has to fit in at least a CLASS 1 slot, because of regulations and poo poo. So if you go and actually take a look at the computer sitting in your module slot, you see it's just a giant, 0.9999 ton cage holding the computer like a craddle. The cage is the perfect size to fit in a class 1 slot and because of it's perfect rectangular form can easily fit into every other modular slot, too.

If you try to take the computer out of the module, you are fined for breaking the law. If you interface a non-compliant computer with a station, the station will shoot you dead.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

radintorov posted:

Oh I know that, but how does adding an empty fuel tank reduce the amount it costs me to jump? I mean, if I have an empty Class 5 Cargo Rack and 32T of fuel and it costs me x to jump, why switching that Cargo Rack for an empty Class 5 Fuel Tank makes the same jump cost y? It should still cost x since the mass should be unaffected. :v:

At least I believe that that's what Kaker meant when he mentioned this.

It doesn't seem to work like that reliably. I know because my Asp works like it should do when fitted with fuel tanks (full tanks and range goes down, empty tank and jump range stays the same as with empty racks). When testing in E:D Shipyard, it does seem to be bugged on the first ship I tested this on (Imperial Courier) but not the second (Asp again), so who knows? I can't test real fits out here in the darkness, after all.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
My reaction to the newsletter:

"Ugh, we get it Frontier yes planetary landings look nifty, please say something about the ships you want to add, too!"

On the other hand, I may be just a bit spoiled by EVE Online, where the devs start talking about new ships months before release.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Trustworthy posted:

http://imgur.com/a/2dkcd

It's my understanding that it has to do with how real life astronomical data is stitched together inside the game. Which is understandable and all; I just can't recall seeing anywhere near as many cubes in civilized space as have been jumping out at me over the last couple weeks.

OK, that's clearly a bunch of rendering errors. I'd recommend a new graphics card.

Seriously, I've travelled about 30k light years across the galaxy and never seen this.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Eh, if you're doing exploration for money, you're doing it wrong. The money is just a nice bonus so you don't feel like you've done nothing in those months.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Sometimes I just like flying to some forelorn ice planet with rings and boost through them.

And Elite always tries to troll explorers: I had systems with dozens of planets looking like possible good worlds (terraforming candicates, waterworlds etc.) but turning out to be just weird looking rocky/high metal worlds and I had the complete opposite: Systems with dozens of what looked like common metal planets turning out to be dozens of terraforming candidates.

Generally speaking, how a planet looks is just a suggestion, in truth everything not looking plain white (or pink if you're in a brown dwarf system) could hide a gem. If you never scan, you'll never find out.

Because of this, I'm always trying to look at what could be interesting and scan that, regardless of what it is.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Gestalt Intellect posted:

They better make exploration a lot more profitable and cool with horizons but frontier hates fun so realistically carrying the rover will probably cripple your jump range and/or planetary landings on worlds without bases will be extremely boring with almost nothing to do but drive at HUD markers once you've played with the physics for a bit.

They already said it's possible to find at least some stuff outside the bubble, so don't worry. Mineral deposits and crashed spaceships are two things they mentioned for stuff which can be found far away too.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Valatar posted:

The problem is that the only ship that can actually do anything like that is the Asp. The Diamondback doesn't have sufficient internals to support a buggy and a cargo bay in addition to the scoop and scanners without stripping shields, and even then it's only got a 16 ton hold. Hopefully they either jigger things around to make planetary exploration require fewer internals like integrate the planetary scanner with the buggy or the system scanner, or they release a bunch of new ships with good jump ranges and more internal space.

They do that, too. Welp, at least "Asp Scout" sounds promising. Then there's this other Lakon ship, which is a total unknown. And the Federal Corvette will probably (thanks to heavy parts) be another option after heavy downgrading. Like the Anaconda. :v:

Seriously though, the joke options for the super-rich aside, I'm hoping either the Asp Scout or one of the unknown ships will be a good explorer. The Asp is nice and all, but I'm flying my Asp for almost ten months now and I would really like to have another explorer. (I tried the Diamondback, but it felt too much like a step backward to me. A shame. )

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Astroniomix posted:

While we're speculating, I'd guess the "buggy module" will be a class 4, seeing as we've seen the cobra deploy it, so theoretically any ship with at least a C4 hardpoint could carry one, but this is me trying to apply logic to :frontear:

During one of the recent streams they said there are actually both smaller and larger classes of the module, with the large one being able to carry multiple buggies. So it's actually made in a way to allow even the Sidewinder to carry a buggy.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

FronzelNeekburm posted:

And don't forget that they've said it gets harder to land on a planet the bigger your ship is, so it's definitely aimed at smaller craft. Not that that'll stop people from trying to park a T-9.

You mean trying to crash a T-9? :v:

People should be glad I'm not the ideas-guy for Elite, one of the first things I would implement after Horizons is the possibility to attempt a landing on gas giants. Of course the rate of failure would be 100% and the attempt always ends in crushing death, but I would make it possible, just for fun. For the Steam-version, there would be an achievement for dying like this and an additional achievement to unlock all the different ways you can die horribly when trying to "land" on a gas giant.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

LCL-Dead posted:

Having recently become somewhat obsessed with the Imp ships after buying a Clipper I can't help but feel a little off about the impending debut of the Cutter.

It's the imperial offering to the Anaconda size class, right? The anaconda already takes up like 2/3rds of the mail slot on the way into a station. The size of the slot is not doing great things for my imagination when trying to imagine the cutter with it's nacelles out there on those wings fitting up into the slot and still being close to the size of an anaconda.

Someone asked that same question about the Panther some time ago. I guess the answer will be the same: The ship will be longer to still get through the slot.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Helter Skelter posted:

They don't exist. Official word is that ships that are too large to fit through the slot use smaller ships to shuttle supplies to/from stations.

E: Also today's stream confirmed 1.5 beta (not Horizons) is on the 9th, Horizons first stage beta on the 24th.

Sweet, this means I better make it back before the 24th, so I can use the beta-access I bought when pre-ordering Horizons.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

AndroidHub posted:

Cobra MK4 does, but that's coming with horizons, which I guess isn't going to be the same update as 1.5 like they said? I don't know anymore, I think they just keep changing their minds.

It's is pretty reasonable to be at least a little miffed about the ships since 4 out of the 7 coming are variants basically, whereas two months ago we thought it was going to be one or maybe two variants (including the Cobra MK4).

No, it was always 1.5 for everyone and Horizons for everyone who has the expansion. So the other new ships are 1.5, but Cobra Mk.4 for example is only Horizons.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

AndroidHub posted:

No as in, they probably aren't coming at the same time, which they explicitly said they would a month or so ago. I'm not upset by it, more the opposite, but they do keep changing the story.

On the other hand, they only mentioned "Holiday Season" at first and it's still both coming during that. For me it looks more they gave out real dates now, which is more "narrowing down" and less "changing the story".

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

AndroidHub posted:

I think you're arguing something entirely different from what I'm saying. Initially there was no indication that 1.5 (Ships) and Horizons (which, as of the last livestream, they are referring to as 2.0) would be a tandem update, then a month or so back they said explicitly that 1.5 and Horizons would be sent out as one update, with the Horizons content locked behind owning the expansion/lifetime pass. As of today they are saying that 1.5 and Horizons will have different beta periods, 1.5 starting on Nov 9th and Horizons starting on Nov 26th, which has lead many to believe that 1.5 will release when the beta period for Horizons begins. And it is widely assumed that The actual release for Horizons will be Dec 16th, as that is when the base game was released in 2014.

Now my personal input is why would they test ships separately if they weren't going to launch it before Horizons, and why are they still using two different version numbers.

In any case it's a difference of two weeks so it doesn't really matter, but you wanted to make it a point of contention so here we are.

To be honest here, as soon as I read "widely assumed" and "has lead many to believe" I rolled my eyes. Right now it looks like they could easily just extend the beta for 1.5 to match both release-dates.

For me this looks like a non-problem. As in, I can't even understand what the problem here is supposed to be, so Frontier does a thing and people aggressively misunderstand them? Is that it?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Now that's interesting! Not that inane argument about release dates (and I really don't care if they're on the same day as long as they aren't months or years apart), but real fun stuff!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
They did it again: Instead of just saying what the new ships can do, we have to wait until the beta starts and players find out the hard way. This secrecy bullshit is one of the few really irritating things about :frontear:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Literally Kermit posted:

Believe it or not, I find it endearing. I wanna know what a Cobra Mk IV does in the worst loving way, because I would sell everything and just poo poo around and have adventures on all the worlds, forever.

I'd probably find it endearing, too -I just played EVE Online for too long. The EVE-devs have a similarly endearing way of gleefully describing what new ships can do months in advance. So Frontier stumps me extra hard since they're the exact opposite. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

You can get interdicted by people in unpopulated space. It's pretty great when cops pull you over to make sure you're in compliance with the laws of the local, nonexistent population.

Not far outside the bubble though. As soon as you jump a couple hundred light years away from the borders of human space, a serene silence decends on you and your ship.

• Locked thread