Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Found an extremely fast spinning B star near MOTHER BASE GOAT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLpsmfciTak

Lima fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Sep 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

axelsoar posted:

Speaking of weird space objects, has anyone found a magnetar yet? do they look cool, or just look like any other neutron star?

They haven't implemented the more exotic anomalies or star variants yet, sadly.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Going near a magnetar sounds like a really bad idea anyway. Seriously this is some baaad poo poo.

Yep. The starquake which was detected in 2004 compressed Earth's magnetic field and ionised the atmosphere - the magnatar it came from is 55000 LY away :frogbon:

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Moacher posted:

That's what I'm talkin about! Not getting my hopes up though...

The game engine would have to model a lot of physics acurately to be able to generate that procedually, such as magnetic fields and uh, gravity.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Adult Sword Owner posted:

I mean that makes total sense but that rear end in a top hat got away and that makes me VERY UPSET

I should at least be able to keep that boosted speed after a boost in FA off

You can eventually catch up with them but it'll take a while for their velocity to bleed off. Also if it's a military ship in a combat zone you will probably fly outside of the engagement area so you'll get a bounty on you for killing them!

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

There's a FDev livestream online now - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYHJY9JZNBA

e. It goes up and down like the servers!

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Romes128 posted:

Are solo and online mods linked? If I get a new ship in solo mode, does it carry over to online?

Yep. Everything carries over between all modes, which makes a lot of people really mad (still).

Also, one of the winners from the paintjob competition:

The viper is nice deep red/black combination but the last three were pretty tepid.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

The server status says 'issues detected' - hope that means they're working on fixing the load issues.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Derakarsis posted:

Does anyone have any tips for working up ranks on the Federal side of things? I'd like to work towards putting myself into a Federal Corvette when they get put in the game, but most of the "Guides" I've seen around are dated or heavy mic breathing you tube videos about people guessing at mechanics.

I sided with Hudson for the cash from bounties for now so as not to put my Fed rank in the toilet until I get the ship, then its defection time so I can actually play with human beings.

Semi-related: I've been trying to get in a wing with a friend of mine and we simply cannot meet up in space. Everytime either of us drops on the other's wing beacon it just dumps us into empty space. We've tried logging out, refreshing the instances, etc. What's the deal with this janky poo poo? We're on literally opposite sides of the earth, is that going to be a problem?

I've been raising my fed rank by mining and then reloading the BB for mining missions. Went from recruit to petty officer tonight.
Some systems only have donation missions on their BBs - if you can find one of those then you can just pay to increase your rank.

Multiplayer is peer-to-peer, so there's probably a latency cutoff which prevents you from meeting up.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

A tip for when you want to empty your cargo for junk metals but don't want to wait for your limpets to expire: Disable your collector controller(s) in the power management tab - that'll instantly destroy the drones.

Chalks posted:

I'll give this a go, thanks. On the "dumping unwanted stuff" front, I found this really irritating until I hit my "dump all cargo" button instead of the open cargo scoop button and my little limpet buddies saved my rear end (over an excruciating length of time, admittedly).

Unbind that key right now mister! It'll only ever cause you grief.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

"Where are the authorities :smith:"

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

You're gonna feel really dumb when you run into a thargoid.

Pssh thargoids will be fought by hauling things from A to B.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

chrisoya posted:

Brave explorers will suicide-ram Thargoids to death.

What are some interesting close exploration sites? I just put some fancy scanners in a Hauler and want to poke around for a week, was thinking of heading to the Pleiades first.

The nebula at NGC 7822 sector is the Pleiades' bigger brother and is about 3k LY away. Lots of O stars and some black holes inside a nebula.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Strategic Tea posted:

I actually came across this by accident. Noticed the nebula from a long way off - looked like a red dot inside a small orange cloud. I thought maybe it was a protostar or remnant or something, and couldn't be more than a hundred or two ly away.

2K lightyears later and :holymoley:

Yeah it's really spectacular when approaching it.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

The more internal slots the better. You could probably fit a T7 miner for less than 25M.

e: 26M appearently :v:

Lima fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 11, 2015

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

timn posted:

I'd not done much interdiction since the update, but it doth appear to be hosed now. On both sides of the equation playing the game almost perfectly against NPCs does nothing but keep me at parity with the largest A-rated FSD I can fit in my Python. It's a game of seeing how long I can hold out before slowly and inevitably losing.

Yeah I couldn't interdict a T6 in my vulture and it took what felt like a minute to pull a T7 out of cruise.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Chrysophylax posted:

:frontear: likes to make it confusing like that. Guns come in only one rating for fixed, one for gimballed and one for turreted.

Although I hear there used to be variants that they removed.

Yep there used to be variants in the beta. The coming crafting system seems to be a good opportunity to reintroduce them.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Someone did some comparative testing between the Ferdie and the FAS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0j7YcXng6lg

wildfire1 posted:

So this game looks pretty interesting. Should I buy in now, or wait for the expansion?

The game is in a pretty good state right now and there's a lot you can do especially if you want to hang out with us (of course you do!).

Lima fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Oct 15, 2015

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

H13 posted:

Weird. The launcher says the servers are okay, but when I launch it says that I can't connect to a server?

The servers are down for the powerplay tick. They'll be up in ~15-20 mins

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Sard posted:

Urgh dammit I guess I'm going to do it and preorder Horizons when I get home today. This is a good idea, right? I'm wary of any game going on about planetary landings after a past era of bad games touting that feature but this promise of combat between air and ground sounds fun. That is to say, queuing up Vietnam references while skimming over the surface in a turreted Federal Dropship sounds fun.

Actually, poo poo, has Frontier hinted at anything like "passenger" ships having a role regarding the battles for surface installations?

They have mentioned that they want to add ship boarding and some sort of first person gameplay but that's far off.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

ChickenWyngz posted:

Oh god its pretty

also I'm terrible at the tutorials :(

Don't worry about the combat tutorials. Just do the travel and docking ones.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Slashrat posted:

iirc silent running immediately reduces your heat signature to zero and makes you invisible to sensors, so that your only worry while it is active is having your ship overheat and getting within hugging distance of other ships. That hasn't changed, right?

AI ships doesn't play by the same rules as player ships - they have unlimited ammo, ignored chaff until recently (iirc?) ignore the heat mechanic, ignore stars/planets effect on their speed in SC and appearently doesn't care about silent running.

If you don't want to get fined when docking then just line up with the mailslot 6-7km out and fly toward it at ~200km/h.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

WTF is the "brown sea?"

The official forum.

Siets posted:

:aaaaa:

Somehow all this time I never noticed that you could buy and add additional fuel tanks. Wow. Today I Learned.

Side note: how many extra tanks and what size is needed to get the Asp up to full run distance?

That was added recently. A lot of people have probably missed it :v:
I think Shine made an Asp with a C6 cargo rack, D3 shield and rest fuel tanks.

slidebite posted:

So I went back a couple pages and still not sure I understand, what is this Sothis smuggling thing?

It sound like a station where if you start in open play you get big bux smuggling missions and then just switch to solo for safety of the trip?

The latest patch introduced long distance missions with the payment scaling up with the distance travelled. Apart from two other systems nearby, Sothis is about 350LY away from the nearest station so a lot of the missions from there pay very well. You can reset the BB by switching between solo/group/open and pick up 10+ each worth several million.

Lima fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Oct 16, 2015

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

SplitSoul posted:

So if my trade rank is non-existent, I should just give up on the Sothis thing? drat. :(

Nope, your mission selection and profit will just be smaller. The penniless missions pays about 1-1.5mill each - filling your hold with a bunch of those should get you in a T6 fast and bump your rank up.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

OldManMarsh posted:

Oh good, there goes my smuggling missions. Who was the genius who decided to put the jettison cargo button next to the silent running when using default key bindings?

You can still complete the missions by buying the commodities, preferably close to the target systems :v:

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Aramoro posted:

So I've just discovered doing Smuggling Missions does not count as smuggling on your stats, where do you get the things to smuggle though? I've only been able to find illegal cargo's floating in space so far and that doesn't seem to be right.

I think only goods sold on the black markets counts towards the smuggling stats.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Sard posted:

Well, I looked at my assets and realized that I could actually trade in my lovely Type 6 Gimmick Miner and trusty Diamondback Scout Gunship and finally get an Asp, the first ship on my list of goals. I have enough leftover to give it some really basic upgrades and pay for insurance a few times, time to map a route out to Sothi-

gently caress!

gently caress!

Is there anything even close in value out there?

The legal haul missions and crystalline gold should still make Sothis reasonable profitable but not 80mill a trip profitable :v:

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Aramoro posted:

The Powerplay stuff sounds quite interesting, is it interesting in practice?

Nope, it's extremely grindy and most of the faction modules and bonuses are bad/bugged/nonsensical.

Aramoro posted:

Why do people sabotage your own factions effort?

Because PP is pretty obtuse and you can actively hurt your own faction very easily by doing the wrong things. Doing the easiest thing to grind merits will hurt your own faction 9 times out of 10 so all factions have problems with unorganized merit grinders preparing/expanding bad systems.

e:
The good modules are Aisling's shields, Avril's railcannon, Denton's plasmacannon and possibly Hudson's fragcannon.
The good bonuses are Avril's and Hudson's bounty bonuses.

Lima fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Oct 21, 2015

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

They also fixed mining. Of course, by fixing they reverted the refinery back to requirering manual control and now sometimes ores won't go into bins even though they're empty :frogbon:

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

LCL-Dead posted:

I think the FDL is ugly anyway.

The non-symmetric window strut-things made my head hurt :(

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Sard posted:

I hope we see a similar event for Fed ships soon. I don't want a mary-sue Space Learjet, but a morally sound brick of guns would be nice. The FAS had a good reception, how's the FGS?

It's bad but it looks like it has a fighter bay hatch, so it might be better in the future.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

15mill iClips can be bought and mostly A fitted in Arjung. 9 jumps in a hauler from Goat :v:

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Sard posted:

Is it a bad opinion to think that shield cell banks as implemented are dumb and should be limited to one per ship, or is this a defensible thing to want?

Potionspam is bad in any game.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Chrysophylax posted:

Shield cell banks are dumb but they're a symptom of the problem instead of the cause, IMO.

The cause is that multirole ships, especially the larger ones, often have less shielding than ships with 1/10th the volume. The only way to bridge this gulf is by allowing these ships to recharge their shields mid-flight with their bountiful cell banks.

If you limit them to one per ship or remove them entirely, you'll pretty much stop seeing things larger than Vultures or Couriers in PVP.

A real fix would be to just give the larger ships a ton more shields, or rework recharge rates, possibly both.

The 1MJ/sec hardcap needs to be changed to a percentage. It takes max shielded condas 25 minutes to fully charge their shield currently :frogbon:

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

So for us who have never done this before, is there a breakdown of what the hell?

Go to the system and sign up to the event on the bulletin board. Then just haul stuff over they want and sell it on the commodity market.

Your reward will depend on which percentile of contribution you end up in (eg. top 40%, top 5% etc) and on how succesful the event is when it ends.

Lima fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Oct 22, 2015

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Doctor Soup posted:

Wait you can name your ship?

Only on Inara so far. It should come to the game at some point.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Friend's trying to convince me that you get a bounty bonus from Avril without pledging to her

I'm trying to convince him he's been lied to

WHO IS RIGHT

Everyone gets the 20% mentioned on the Stats page under Exploitation Impact.
Only pledgers gets the additional rank 2 and 5 bonuses (and only if they have the correct rank obviously).

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Alright that makes sense, so we were both semi correct

I planned to get to rank 5 hauling poo poo but the cooldown or 100k credits thing is lovely as hell. Maybe I can ruin some hostiles.

Beware the rank 5 grind. We have lost many a goon to it.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

How much is the discount?

You can buy it for 15.1mill so it's about 7mill off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Sard posted:

I mean, stations could just be designed such that there is one port for entry and another port for leaving.

That would make sense in a logical universe, but we seem to be stuck in something called a Brabenverse.

• Locked thread