Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Joystick/HOTAS talk: Should I take the short route with the X52 pro? Or save up for the Thrustmaster Warthog? And any pedal recommendations? I'm looking at my desk trying to figure out where I'll put a hotas set up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Hopper posted:

I bought a Thrustmaster X for 44€. It is a very serviceable beginners HOTAS and perfect to judge whether it is worth investing more later on. Maybe try that first? Also no need for pedals with it, it has a seesaw lever on the thrust that can replace pedals.

(I also read not to buy Saitek products due to shoddy quality)

Sweet, thanks. Going shopping now.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Aight, I can add trackIR to the list too. Been wanting one anyway. VR headsets make me motion sick, which is odd because it takes a lot of riding in a back seat to get motion sickness. I might still get pedals later for ya control to make landing easier, as I'll still need binds/axis/whatever for ascent/descent thrust

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Romes128 posted:

Or maybe even CH products. They're not fancy but everyone who owns one swears by them.

CH products? For head tracker stuff? Never heard of them. I have heard horror stories about trying to work trackIR to be just how you like.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

TheresaJayne posted:

I was doing Rare runs solo, i then thought this is not right and switched to open,

Undocked, Flew through the letterbox,
"Critical Eject eject eject" Kaboom.......

"you were killed by Cmdr XXXXX" (I can't remember his name)

WTF!!!! Back to Solo..

(the annoying thing is there was no "you are under attack" or anything like that, he literally one shotted me about 10 seconds after leaving the station. This is why you can never have nice things.. So now out of my hauler and back in a sidewinder as he took a full cargo of rares with him worth about 3 mill

Loot doesn't blow up when you nuke a player?

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Kinda stuck. I have a decent fit Eagle in 63G., but every time I try to go out solo I go splat. Should I avoid HazRes and Hires for now?

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Pre-ordered Horizons. Already logged more hours in Elite than ever in Star Citizen, so my refund money from that poo poo heap is going to good use.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
You're way the gently caress out there? Doing exploring I assume? I'm kinda planning on exploring when I get bored of shootymans and am space Romney.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Oh right, I'm dumb

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Literally Kermit posted:

Actually, it's the former, and just coincidence that there'll be a new station there.

I met a player out there who was also in a DBE, except he was rated for distance, and I was A-ranked and sporting lasers and a shield :getin: but I hadn't the heart to end him. He was on the tail end of his trip, so we just posed for photo ops:

"sup?"

When suddenly:

"S-sempai?! :anime:"

Maia is one of the closer black holes to civ-space, and an all around neat system with lots of stars orbiting around, most can be scanned from where you jump in! The black hole is a haul from there, tho.

2 Questions, how do I enable the screen shot camera (what keybind do i need to set) and 2, was your DBE yellow from paint/sun/or is that how it comes? I want skins for DBS :(

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Parkingtigers posted:

Elite Dangerous Horizons: This Game Just Got Buggier.

That's pretty good.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Finally I can make my DBS super bright! And a gold FDL skin for 2.0 live. And I got the Asp Synth pack because techno angel wings.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
DBE or DBS are both good candidates for your cheap do it all ship now it seems.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Why is the mission target text always black in a space game?!

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Groggy nard posted:

:frogsiren: NEW PLAYERS WHO WANT TO HAVE LODSA EMONE :frogsiren:

If you get enough money to get into this Cobra(you can downgrade the Fuel Scoop to a B or C if you are low on cash) and go to a System called "Robigo" you can find special long distance bonus paying Haul missions, which will give you literally millions of credits to haul two tons of biowaste, and even more millions to sneak in illegal and immoral "goods" on the low. You can get a few of them at Trade Rank Penniless(which is the default new CMDR rank you start with) but you will get more even better paying ones the higher that rank goes.

You can stack these.

This is currently the most broken "working as intended" way to make cash and raise your Trade rank. It also gives you a good boost to your Federation Ranking. I once made 50million in one hour of the "smuggle struggle" with dat ASP

If you get Interdicted on the way, just submit, hit the boost button a lot, target the next system in your jump route, wait out the minimal FSD cooldown, and :frogout:

There are a few good effortposts around this very thread explaining the how and why in more detail, they are worth a look if you want more information.

Went to Robigo, couldn't get anything but some donation missions. So, no, you can't always get missions there at penniless. I asked in mumble and was told a few trade ranks are recommended before running Robigo.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Capn Beeb posted:

Haha poo poo, I can't do any work with the Feds out in Arexe because I'm not even Allied with them yet. Guess I just need to be careful when I go bounty busting.

Also do rings get random haz RES added to them?

That's the problem I'm running into as well. I'm friendly with them, but still no ranks. Run what missions I can for the subfactions in system but it doesn't seem to boost my faction rank enough. I'm allied to both the Fed players in Arexe now.

Edit: Right after I posted this, I got my promotion mission. Aaaaand it's an assassination. :negative:

Thronde fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Nov 30, 2015

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Humboldt Squid posted:

I wish this game explained its mechanics better, I wanted to be a bounty hunter so I was going around in supercruse looking for people to interdict and maybe making 25k - 50k a session. Then I learned about RES areas from this thread (I thought they were for mining so I avoided them) and in less than an hour today

:getin:

Goddamn, can't say I ever made that much an hour in a RES.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

LCL-Dead posted:

Hunting a High-Res in a vulture is an easy thing as well.

Prior to some patch changes it was very easy to hit 1-2 million in an hour, still beyond easy to hit 1.5m in an hour, even more if you get a good roll.

Guess I just get poo poo instances then, I rarely see Condas/Pythons/FDLs in Hi or Haz RES

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
For the Goons doing rare trade runs, how much cargo are you usually fitting for? Would 20 tons be enough?

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

WebDog posted:

You don't get much more than about 16T per station so it usually tops out at around 50T or so of cargo.

What I thought. You don't sell at each stop what you picked up at the one before? Like Altair > Rakuju I would sell the Altair stuff, pick up Rakuju stuff, go to HIP ad repeat

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

TheresaJayne posted:

exactly 16t per stop max, you need to carry about 50t for the full run

Because I'm dumb and tired and confused.

If I go to Altair, buy 16T, jump to Rakuju, sell 16t and buy 16t there, so on and so forth, why would I need more than 16t for a run? Or should I be holding on to stuff.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Ah, I knew they were worth more, but they don't make much in gains past 160ly. I didn't know about the route sell patterns. Makes more sense. Thanks Goons!

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm going to come back and start playing again. Been forever, but I just burned out before, mostly due to time constraints. Is there a good primer to read for Engineers stuff?

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the info on rebuilding my Python today. It is fun and good, and dumping missiles up some bounty's tailpipe will never get old. I'll probably start grinding out the frog trading route soon, how big a cargo stash should my python be running?

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Goddamn the engineers stuff is confusing as gently caress. Like I guess you have to unlock an engy then take missions from them to find poo poo to turn in?

Also what's boom time?

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Fdl is great for blowing up poo poo. Not so much for grinding space engies. What ship should I build for that sort of thing?

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Tippis posted:

Asp or Python, depending on how much you want to do things in bulk.

There's a lot of stuff you can only get through missions, and a fair amount you can only get through planet exploration. You will need that FdL (or some other murderboat… you could do that too in the Asp/Python) to collect tons of base materials, but with the new triple collection rate, that part is pretty quick and painless. You might even need to do some mining, if you pick the “wrong” upgrades to go for, which both ships will let you do with little modification. The rest you can just get off the market.

The reason I say Asp or Python is because, for the actual level grind part, you'll probably want to do a fair amount of travelling to good spots, to the engineers to unload your cargo hold on a new tier of upgrades, or to just do the whole unlock collection for a few of them. So fast travel and plentiful internal compartments will save you a lot of work.

Thanks, I got rid of my python for the fdl. May switch back, but with the new ai the python suuuuuucks in combat. I was getting my rear end handed to me nonstop trying to get parts at a simple checkpoint.

Also gently caress having to manually scoop this poo poo. Give me a loving tractor beam module.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah I may downgrade the fdl to a Vulture again for combat. But Goddamn those fdl shields.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm a fan of fins and ship spikes. Plus that python is loving beautiful.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Anyone have a great general purpose ship? I loved the Python for this but Jesus that thing is a loving pig in combat now.

Alternatively, how do you keep other pythons from simple butt hugging you? Or any other ships for that matter.

Also thanks for the sothis info, been looking for a way to make decent bucks. Should have abused Robigo slave trade more.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Wait what's up with ceos?

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Huh, I wonder if ship transfers could be abused? Load up the cargo on one ship then the other , fly out to (place), transfer second ship there, sell from both (or more) cargos?

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Right, the FDL doesn't have the cargo needed for cargo drones (because fuuuck manual pickup)

Someone build me a decent non-pimped python I can use to grind up engineers please.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Ah thanks. I guess I worried too much about making it tanks enough/have enough fuel. Since its range is poo poo. Well that and trying to find a balance of weapons I like. The 2m mc/2m burst and huge ac build is pretty nice though.

Edit, it's been forever since I hosed with limpets , what's the trick to keep them picking up poo poo and not instantly expiring once they deliver 1 item?

Thronde fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Aug 24, 2016

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
How the gently caress did you fit it with 4 beams and still have power for poo poo else, also I really need to grind up healing beams it seems because that sounds awesome. They rep shields I assume?

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Yolomon Wayne posted:

http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Engineer%27s_weapon_special_effects
http://inara.cz/galaxy-engineers

Im running A5 prismatics and 3 A0 shield boosters (2x +100% and one +thermal for 100% bonus). Having an A-class power core is mandatory of course.
Also Rank 1 power core upgrade is up to 11% more power. Going for T5 next.
Key is, almost all modifications can roll pretty random secondary effects, like -power draw. Get lucky on some and youre set. My fsd has it, my shield mod has it, i think even my distributor rolled it or something. Im at 99% usage with hardpoints deployed and jus tthe cargorack on prio 2.

My beams all have T1 Lightweight just for fitting the exp.mod which i bought 3 times and rolled 1 time.

Theres 2 kinds of heal-beams, one that directly "heals" the shield of a wingman (dont try to heal the cops), and one that buffs the shields regenerating abilities. Again, wingman.
I think direct heal is better though.
If you just want the experimental mods, drop 15 T1 recipes to get to rank 3 and the roll lightweight and buy the experiment of choice for -2 rank.
Do this 4 times and youre set. Bring 60 iron nickel to drop on useless recipes you will simply dismiss and reroll and some phosphor for the lightweights.

Honestly, most of this was way over my head at the moment, but now I have a direction to go. Sadly I've only unlocked T1 stuff with the Multicannon engineer, so I have :work: ahead of me.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Dude that's a kickass explanation and I'm sure it's in Kerr's guide which I have bookmarked but haven't read through (on my phone) but still super useful.

Not to haul ads to the power core engy and knock that out.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
If I've traveled out to Sothis but already sold that data info do I have to do another exploration run for the engineer? I want to upgrade my FSD for sothis runs in a python so I can bank up big bucks.

Also, what's everyone's sothis python build?

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Welp, that's dumb. I follow the game but hardly ever play because of the grind. So great idea making the loving grind worse.

Go gently caress yourselves with razors, :reddit: loving subhumans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Autism and disability checks.

• Locked thread