Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Libluini posted:

Don't forget if you're an explorer, you won't have RES nor trading, since we're out there in the great beyond. Not much to shoot at or trade with here. So we only get money from our exploration alone. But scanning down everything, even everything worthwile, would lead to a fast burnout, so we have to travel at a more leisurely pace, which means even less money.

I have my Asp, an Imperial Courier in storage back in civilization and 33 million credits in the bank. And that's with continuously playing since December last year. Explorers are even more hosed by Elite's income system.

Well, I also play since december but somehow explored my way into an Asp + Vulture + Courier + Clipper + 50 mil, I HAVE done some trading and RES hunting but no more than just a faw evenings. Clipper is a LONG way from being fitted properly. I think this money might be due to CG abuse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

FronzelNeekburm posted:

You definitely didn't explore yourself into the right rank for a Clipper.

Imperial ranks only took me 2 days from Serf

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

chaosapiant posted:

What's the consensus on reverse throttle controls on a HOTAS? I'm currently using my X52 as a full range forward throttle, with a reverse toggle button for reverse thrusters. Looking at Youtube vids of folks mastering FA mode makes me think that having throttle forward/half reverse might be better, as well as free up the toggle button for something else. I hope these words make sense to space nerds.

This little slider on throttle stick is perfect for forward/bakwards switching IMO.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

chaosapiant posted:

So I played around last night with this method of control and...I dunno. I don't like it. It might take getting used to because I keep throwing myself into reverse, or lurching forward from the pad when trying to lift off because my throttle is ever so slightly forward. I didn't edit the deadzone though, but it still feels unnatural as a whole.

Try setting it for the slider, feel very intiutive for me. Slider forward is forward, slider back is reverse.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

radintorov posted:

It's relaxing and it pays well, now.
Mining is actually worth doing.

For me it was very frustrating
me: Oh, painite, great!
Frontier: Haha no. <Transaction server error>
me: <relogs tries to mine>
Frontier: You forgot to open cargo scoop
me:<opens scoop>
Frontier: Haha got you agan! <Transaction server error>

5 or 6 times in one session

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Oct 8, 2015

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Whoever missed the notice in laucher:

:siren: STOP EXPLORING :siren:

quote:

Hey guys,

Some of you may know that recently we upgraded the servers that host the exploration data.

Unfortunately we've identified some issues as part of this upgrade and we are advising that everyone stop exploring until we confirm it's safe to continue doing so.

We will be keeping players informed on this thread as we get more news.

I'm very sorry for the confusion caused.

Thanks,

Zac

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Is it just me or ships and ship effects like thrusters look significantly worse in CQC than in normal game? It is very noticeable when they show you your killer

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

double riveting posted:

I read between the lines of a Frontier dev somewhere that CQC uses different graphics code than the main game. Reason appears to be that the main game makes only 30fps on XBone; this way they get CQC to do 60.

In other words, thanks consoles.

Edit: I haven't played CQC, yet, so it might still be just you.
Edit2: The main game makes only 30fps on my PC as well, ofc, so I should not complain. Maybe it's even dynamic - do you have a "good rig" (as in, actually good)?

Yes I do, gtx 980 and everything else on pretty much same level.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

CQC players: Whats your opinion on plasma repeaters? Yes or no? I can't make up my mind, damage is great but it doesn't seem to be useful at any kind of distance.

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Oct 10, 2015

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

When NPCs ask you to drop our of supercruize with them is it always a trap or do they buy your stuff?

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Starkk posted:

The before/after my latest trip smuggling drugs/slaves/weapons from Sothis. Started playing E:D 5 days ago.

Yeah, its kind of ridiculous. Every single player will be flying an anaconda in a couple days

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

So - I have about a 100 mil in free assets, the question is trade Python or T9? 250 cargo space isn't a very big improvement over ~200 that my Clipper can carry. So - is outpost landing preferable over 500 loving tons, opinions goons?

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Well, that was interesting. Did I get it right that they are not planning several different models of land cars?

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Adult Sword Owner posted:

I don't regret my iClip purchase, I just need to sort out the weapons because all beam is just too energy intensive, and it's not quick enough to Cannons Up rear end like a Vulture

Clipper is significantly faster than Vulture. Top speed 341 m/s vs Vultures 215.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

AndroidHub posted:

Right now I think copper is the only thing you trade at a loss, but the prices aren't particularly good for anything else, nothing is in demand, etc. Copper is where it is because there is a nearly endless supply at a station 2ly away in WOLF 318.

These are the metal prices right now.

I will say it's probably worth getting at least one load of metal there, since it's just about to tier 5, and tier 4 gives you 1.5mil for the lowest level of participation. Tier 5 is also halfway to the max at 20million tons.

Pls post your color settings.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Groggy nard posted:

Plasma just wants to be free!

Also if you want some serious cash bring a Hauling ASP to Robigo, I just made 41 million spacebux in an hour and a half.

What exactly are you supposed to do in there?

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Haha its a whale. IMO it doesn't look good, it's a fat cargo clipper

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

SharkTattoos posted:

So I started a couple days ago. Got a couple million and a well fitted Cobra. Is this Robigo thing just go to robigo, take missions, profit or is there some catch I can't find anywhere?

Just tired of shooting in belts for the time being so don't really even care if it's going to take forever to make a bunch of cash or w/e.

Edit: yeah I guess the big thing is there a minimum cargo size or standing or something I need?

Keep logging out and in into different game modes to refresh mission board until you get lucky and see 4-5 mil mission and take it. Keep doing until you see another or a mission that needs you to go the same station as previously taken mission or 2 missions that go to the same station or another 4-5 mil mission. Keep doing until your hold is full than go deliver everything. You can also sell all the materials they gave you and take even more missions but I will not even go there.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I have made some effortposts about Robigo* in the other thread if you want to get crazy.

*which were written while dealing with Robigo dropoffs

Yes, I wanted to link to your much better explanation but couldn't find it.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I get that this is all industrial facilities and realistic landscape but give me some space wonders to gawk at instead of shipping containers, Frontier!

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Is CQC wonky for anyone else or was I shadowbanned for rubigo runs?

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Mercurius posted:

We have our own little NPC faction which was added last patch called the Diamond Frogs which we're trying to expand around to other systems using the in-game NPC faction influence system (which you might've seen referred to as the BGS or background simulation) and so lots of people are involved with that and doing all sorts of stuff with them because it gives us a common goal. At the end of the day though they're just an NPC faction full of bloodthirsty assholes who will sit there and not really interact with anything if we don't do things for them so because this is a sandbox we're kind of having to make our own game content.

Why exactly did goons adopt Diamond Frogs again? i kind of missed the transition and never moved my stuff from Beta-1

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Danknificent posted:

Gross. I'll optimistically choose to believe that someday they'll see the light and get some paint in game.

Until then, because I don't have a good feel for the value of the credits or how easy they are to get, I see that some of these ships cost like 200,000,000 or something - it seems like a lot. So is getting those big ships a really big accomplishment, or does everyone who's had the game for a few weeks have them?

Up until Asp (8 million) is pretty easy and then it gets grindy. I've been playing since launch, so nearly a year and only just bought a Python (50 milllion or so) last week. Although it's definitely possible to get it sooner depending on your playstyle and whether you sell your old ships (I didn't, kept the ones that I liked).

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Oh yeah! Black clipper! I hope there is a midnight skin for the clipper

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

SpannerX posted:

Goddamnit! I said I wasn't going to get this, then it ended up on sale on Steam. Guess I have to get something to control this thing, mouse and keyboard isn't cutting it.

E: Nevermind, buy both!

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Nov 28, 2015

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

tooterfish posted:

You get a loyalty discount for Horizons if you already have the base game, so with the current sale it works out costing exactly the same as just buying Horizons and waiting.

Heh, I didn't realize that. Than I guess people actually should buy both it and get a Cobra IV.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Dante80 posted:

Here is how to do a better video showcasing a skin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vF0P4cpqSB8

Ok, whats the trick here? How did he disable the crazy aliasing I get in my game despite having all graphics options on max?

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Well, my battle with game's aliasing ended with great success. After trying various options and failing to produce satisfactory result I decided to let Nvidia do the work and used recommended settings from Geforce Experience which decided to ignore ingame scaling in favour of it's own DSR and the result was stunning. It's amazing how much better the stations and cockpit looks without jagged lines everywhere. Just had to force vsync in control panel because ingame option was killing framerate for some reason and everything's perfect.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Ugh, after some heavy poop-touching I think I'm done with FD forums for awhile. Pls people don't stop, keep posting good and correct opinions - if these ridiculous sperglords manage to push such blatantly bad and unfun elements into the game, we can definitely get FD to make something good with some effort.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Sultan Tarquin posted:

It's so beautiful :swoon:

I was always kinda interested in FDL but was put off by tiny fuel tank and why did it make it like it was designed in the 60s?

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I think I chose a perfect time for my vacation to Tenerife. I am coming home tomorrow and everything is ready! Tenerife was boring as gently caress right now

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Goliath drones are more powerful than I expected. I barely escaped with my life in A graded Viper Mk 4

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Hah! This achenar planet is the next Hudson Orbital except kind of more evil. Although a saw a video by a dude who landed a Cutter there, but had to boost upwards several times

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Just my opinion here. We need to man up and post these opinions in the brown see if we want next year to be better.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Literally have spent less than an hour in an SRV since Horizons dropped.

Never don't blow up rocks.

SRV fuel is a tedious mechanic but finding the materials for it also isn't the insurmountable challenge some folks are making it out to be.

Its not just the fuel thing, its that the devs often have no idea what an MMO is and they blindly follow what the forums tell them to do. The present state of the game is in a significant part due to what was posted there and they suck so much that we never take part, thus idiots run the show.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Libluini posted:

If you use a joystick, I'd test if some of your thruster-buttons are broken. Or if you need more deadzone for your axes.

Nope, same thing with me. As soon as I detached from the platform I got kicked to the right by unknown force.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

Managed to get myself into a Cobra Mk3 last night before going to bed. Wake up this morning and realize I only have 20k in funds left, so I'm not fitting much :v:

Wonder what to do besides "sell it again and get your Eagle back, you dingus."

E: oops, I'm bad at reading, yeah only buy a new ship when you can afford at the very least an A FSD and insurance.

You know what, there was post a year ago that got me started I will do the same. Sell the cobra, buy an adder with A FSD and haul some rares. You will afford a proper cobra in 1 evening.

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Dec 19, 2015

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

I will do this!!!

In the meantime, I've got a bunch of surface missions to do. Do I just want to fly in normal space at above 2km to find the hotspots, or go into orbital cruise first, or what?

As I see it, drop in normal space at random location and look for blue spots on your radar above 2.5 km.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Stelarch posted:

This seems relevant to the discussion:

Speaking of Chris Roberts, my first ever death in this game was fighting an anaconda (piloted by Croberts) that was already in combat with cop conda and getting so excited that I boosted right into it. That was my first venture into RES too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I just had a jaw-dropping near death experience for it's sheer stupidity. I decided it's time to finally A-grade my old clipper that was sitting somewhere for some months. I grab it, go to Lembava, buy most of my stuff including an enormous 50 mil shield and continue on to Diaguandri to buy the rest - among other things the loving power plant! Get interdicted, submit, deploy hardpoints and haha shields offline, thrusters offline and to add insult to injury even the goddamned life support. I felt so extremely stupid I just set there for a couple of seconds unable to believe that it really happened. Can't move, no shield, no air, I just retracted hardpoints and GTFO of there.

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jan 16, 2016

• Locked thread