Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I got this game for Christmas. I was a big fan of No Man's Sky (even when it first came out) and I know this is a very different game, but that's how I had first heard of it.

I popped it in last night and tried the training missions, and was absolute complete loving garbage at almost all of them.

Do I need to get good at flying/docking/navigating, or can I jump in the game and do things while slowly getting better at that? I haven't played the game proper yet. I got frustrated with the first Horizons training mission (the guy says there are waypoints but there totally aren't waypoints, I found and destroyed the sentry guns but could not find the generator) and turned it off.

edit: PS4 btw. Any suggestions for a newb to this game, what I should do, what I shouldn't do as I learn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

limaCAT posted:

1. Never fly without a rebuy.
2. See rule one.
3. Start small and just do the take off, travel, docking, targeting and maybe the basic combat training. You can just wait to tackle the srv and horizon stuff later.

Perhaps a stupid question but what is a rebuy?

Colonial Air Force posted:

Or, join the Frogs and get on Discord.

I am on PS4, is there a PS4 group?

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 27, 2017

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Played the actual game (not training) for a couple of hours last night. Did a couple of courier missions, retrieved a couple of black boxes, bought a goddamn docking computer and am loving it. Really enjoying this game so far. So much to learn, though. I think I have 36k credits now and I'm looking forward to upgrading my ship to something that doesn't look loving stupid (no offense to any Sidewinder lovers).

A couple of questions though:

Is there any kind of third person mode for the spaceship? The camera mode seems kind of difficult to use.

Can I not land on planets? I have the Horizons season pass but I don't have a rover or anything like that yet.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

lemonadesweetheart posted:

You can land on any planet with a blue ring on the system map but you cant leave your ship without an srv. Always check the plsnets gravity before trying to land there.

Ah, I did not know this. Cool. Once I land, if I don't have an SRV yet, what can I do? Scan it?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Oh yeah, babby bought his first ship!

...a hauler, so I can make cargo runs and hopefully earn moneys.

How are other people able to make so much money so quickly? The only missions I have even been able to do so far are data courier missions and one where I collected black boxes.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Money makes money; take your hauler to the next trade CG and you should crack a couple mil - enough for a Type 6 for further trading, ~or~

There's also the 'Road to riches', which is a list of jumpable systems with Earthlike and Water worlds you can scan and then sell the explorer data for mad cash - you'll need a detailed surface scanner, an advanced discovery scanner and a 3A fuel scoop to make the most of this, and an A ranked FSD - three mil will outfit this on your hauler.

https://pastebin.com/hCf3iwe6

Starting at HIP 14976, scanning planets A7, A5 and A6, then jumping to HIP 16709 - you get the idea, do as many as you can stand, then head to a station and sell the data at the Cartographic office. Do all this in solo, if you get smeared by an rear end in a top hat in open you will hate your life.

Ratjaculation posted:

Get an Asp Explorer asap, fit it with a fuel scoop, advanced disco scanner and a posh passenger bay and take gangsters on tours around space

Between 2-6mil for the tour mission, plus scan data profits

Oh man thanks for this, this is good stuff

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Still a newb here, bought an Eagle and upgraded some of the systems and now I can go bounty hunting!

Some of the missions I'm taking on are like, "find four pirates in such and such system." When I scan the nav beacon, it says it can't tell me where they are. What's the best method of finding them in a big system? Seems like it would take forever just flying around scanning every ship I see.

Also, what weapon is the preferred weapon of combat? I think I have three beam lasers but they overheat real quick when I'm using them all at once.

edit: how are people making millions only nine hours in? I'm maybe double that and most of my missions are 80k if I'm lucky.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jan 2, 2018

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Is there a compendium for all of the reference guides people have put together?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Gort posted:

Think it's called "Discord"

I play on PS4 though.

There are a number of really useful infographics and I was just hoping there was a collection of them. Some are in the first few posts but I have seen others floating around reddit and the E:D Facebook page.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

boar guy posted:

Discord has a phone app that works as well as the desktop/web app

If Discord is all there is, that's all I really need to know I guess.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Well, just to cross it off the list, I'm heading to Hutton at the moment.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

I mean, I was doing laundry during the trip, so it wasn't like I was just sitting there staring at it.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I upgraded my ship. I said 'gently caress you' to the ugly type 6 and bought a Dolphin instead. Strictly worse perhaps, but it looks so good.

I've been doing mainly passenger missions with it. Ship is outfitted with a surface scanner and an advanced discovery scanner so I can make a little side money on the way. I did a single passenger mission for 5.5mil and got to see some cool stuff along the way.

I'm working my way up to the big money jobs.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Passenger ships are very pretty. I wish they had better jump range similar to exploration ships.

I can do about 20LY right now. How far can fully-outfitted exploration ships get to?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Bought a type 7 last night, currently hauling slaves indentured servants around the empire and getting paid. 256T of them.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
What the hell are the 'clean out the skimmer' missions about? I haven't done one yet but they seem enticing.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

You kill x floaty robots.

With an SRV?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Made some progress this weekend and started engineering things. Went to Maia (awesome black hole btw) as well (to get meta-alloys for Ms Farseer), did some exploring, did some trading...

I think I'm gonna start doing combat things and it looks like a Fer de Lance is the way to go. So that will be my next purchase.

Some pretties:

That last one is Obsidian Orbital, recently attacked by the Thargoids.

Here is a video of the Maia black hole. I kind of crashed into it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8lDE92jZ7E&t=263s

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Rynoto posted:

If you're just starting to get into combat the Vulture is by far the best one to learn in. Give its power plant a small overcharge and some dirty drives and it becomes massively fun.

I have an Eagle that I have fun in so I'm only mostly-harmless. I just want something capable that I don't need a lot of skill to combat NPCs and collect bounties.

e: ooh the Vulture has two LARGES?

...I might try a Vulture. I mean, it's cheap enough that I wouldn't really miss the money. Best weapon loadout?

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 22, 2018

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Rynoto posted:

If you're going for low effort npc killing then a simple Conda turret boat will do wonders. Vulture is basically the babby version of the FDL and both require at least a bit more concentration to effectively fly.

Suggesting vulture just because it's small, incredibly agile and very hard hitting. Can learn everything you need about using fixed weapons in it and the fun of flying without flight assist.

E: Weapons are whatever you fancy. I'm a stickler for matching weapons personally but mixing and matching is perfectly fine. Your biggest worry with the vulture will always be its small power plant though. Is why the suggestion to stick a G1-3 overcharge on.

Yeah I don't have the money for a Conda yet. I do have the money for a Python or an FDL though. Plus insurance, plus not much upgrades for now.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Rynoto posted:

The bigger ships will easily set you back double to triple their cost when fully rigged out for anything more than trading or data running.

So I guess what would be better: an A-rated Vulture or a B- or C-rated FDL or Python? Assuming no engineering.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I officially bought an FDL last night. Might still buy a Vulture for reasons. Haven't taken it out yet though, don't have the money to outfit it the way I want to yet. Just need to find time to do some of the better passenger missions I've been seeing.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Trustworthy posted:

My (admittedly well-outfitted and well-engineered) FDL unexpectedly turned out to be my favorite ship for combat zones. It's really good at racking up kills without drawing the massive amounts of fire that my larger combat ships tend to.

I'm not sure yet how much of the engineering I'm going to feel like grinding through. I slightly modified the FSD and shield boosters on my Dolphin and am pretty happy with it but I don't want to spend hours looking for resources if I can avoid it. I just want a ship I can go blast some NPCs with easily because I don't have good flying skills.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Kind of thinking for my FDL, this is what I want to shoot for:

https://eddp.co/u/PizzamlC

no engineering, mind you. It seems that would blow up a lot of ships quite efficiently.

And no I am not removing my docking computer, I am a true believer in them. I can get by without them, but boy loving howdy I like the luxury.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Helianthus Annuus posted:

Consider putting a fixed beam on the c4 slot? The gimballed c4 beam on the FdL has a deceptively small cone of fire. And the effective range is seriously hampered by the gimbal jitter. Obviously, you can try it and see if you can make it work, but I didn't have much luck with it. The c4 plasma is another great option.

D rated life support is lighter, which lets you go faster and jump further. The extra O2 isn't that important, you can always synthesize more air if you have the right materials handy. 2 iron + 1 nickel, I think.

Other than that, I would fit a larger fuel scoop and a smaller interdictor. I think you get much more value out of the larger fuel scoop vs a larger interdictor.

Docking computer is great, I take the opportunity to fire up the external camera while docking.

Good info, I will keep it in mind.

Also, turns out you can make a literal battleship:

https://eddp.co/u/msjZhs9K

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
My FDL is mostly outfitted the way I want it. Still need hull reinforcement and a better FSD and a few other things, and I have no engineering but boy is it fun. 5A shields with 4 0A boosters seem pretty impenetrable and a 4A beam laser + four 2F multicannons melt shields and then shred hulls. At least against the NPCs I have been collecting bounties from.

If I want to gain merits with my faction using this, where do I go and how do I do that? I read somewhere about getting ~30 merits per kill but I don't remember where I saw that.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I play predominantly in solo and I really appreciate whatever algorithm they use to name NPCs.

Also, I saw this place and I did not go there. Heard they were prone to outbreaks.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I've been enjoying my FDL a lot lately but accidentally got a bounty in the system Im kind of based out of. So I did what any sane person would do, I bought a Vulture so when I rebuy, it's much less.

Turns out, the Vulture is more fun to fly. Doesn't have the staying power though, and doesn't make as good of a sound. But for a ship to take out when I'm wanted, knowing that when I get scanned I'll have three elite police Anacondas on me, it's great.

relevent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWb4GDGN5b4

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I like this game about flying in space and doing make believe space things in a believable fashion.

I also don't have an Anaconda and I can still have fun.

:shrug:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I realized the Diamondback Explorer has crazy good jump range so I bought one. ~42LY max with grade 1 FSD engineering and a couple of lovely cabins on board. Beats the hell out of my 27LY max Dolphin which I had been using.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Katsuma posted:

Incorrect! This is exploring with style!

Edit: I'm sorry, that was really rude. I just really love my Explorca and got overexcited. Your python is rad.

I've been using a Dolphin until recently. Just love the way it looks.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Best sound is clearly the FDL decelerating. BWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOwowowowowowowow.

Also I am compensating with mine.

Seriously though, what would be better, one huge beam with 4 medium MCs or one huge MC with four medium beams?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

iospace posted:

Have VY Canis Majoris, biggest in the game:

I noticed this wasn't too far outside the bubble so I checked it out

It really fucks with your sense of scale. Here I am shortly after jumping in, and everything looks normal until you check the speed. I was about 10k LS away.

Once you get ~4000 LS away, it's really weird because you can't go around it. You're supercruising tangent to it but there's just no movement and it appears as though you're stopped.

Your sense of scale just gets totally hosed.

Any other cool sights to see that aren't too far outside the bubble? I think Sirius might be next on my list.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Feb 15, 2018

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
You guys having connection issues? I keep getting a message saying it can't connect to the Frontier servers every few minutes, then I'm able to reconnect. But it keeps kicking me out of the game. Making it drat near unplayable.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
edit: doublepost, somehow.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Man, all the 'boom time shipment' missions at the station where I'm basically allied with everybody are all now 'wing recommended' and instead of being ~100-200 tons they're 1000-4000 tons, for the same reward amount. Bummer.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I was bounty hunting and nicked the wrong ship and got a bounty. I waited two hours for my notoriety to go to zero, went to a station that had an international factions guy, but he won't clear my bounty because he seems to think I still have a notoriety level (it says I'm too high-profile right now and I have to wait until my notoriety goes down). I checked and it still says 0.

What do I do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
If anybody wants to quickly gain Fed rank, the Ceos-Sothis thing is legit. Went up four ranks in one hour. Got my Sol permit, which is all I really wanted but I may as well keep going.

Just pick the reputation+++ reward every time. Usually get over 100k per mission anyway just because of time bonuses.

• Locked thread