Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Gestalt Intellect posted:

What on earth is a "pubbie" in elite.

The same thing a pubbie is everywhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Any tips on optimising my Vulture?
http://coriolis.io/outfit/vulture/14A5B4A3E5B4C3C1e1e0m0505-4b6o2o00-.Iw19kA==.MwBhCYEYx6dMQ===

I'm debating tossing Military Composite on it, it'll only drop my jump range by 0.60LY to 13.58.

Also, should I just go ahead and get rid of my gimballed pulses and stick fixed on for the damage boost/reduced power draw?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Any suggestions to make this Vulture more fighty?
http://coriolis.io/outfit/vulture/14A5B4A3E5B4C3C1e1e0m0505-4b6o2o00-.Iw19kA==.MwBhCYEYx6dMQ===

Also, what's a good loadout for the iClip, I just grabbed one at Tabaldak.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Met posted:

PvE fighty? You shouldn't really use B or C unless you're trying to be really economical at the expense of weight and power.

NEVER use E. D is lighter.

The Vulture doesn't need all the extra shield stuff, but I did upgrade your shield from a B to an A. The Vulture's defense is it's mobility. Lateral thrust around your targets while you laser them apart. Feel free to use whatever bulkheads you want. Lighter has more mobility.

Added Chaff.

Added a Advanced Discovery Scanner to your empty internal. If I'm doing missions I like to see the entire system that I'm in. It's not necessary though. Add more Cargo or something if you prefer.

Gave you a size 4 cargo container and put your interdictor in the size 1.

Toss a heat sink or two in one of those empty utilities if you want to smuggle or confuse missiles. Might have to turn off the cargo hatch module though.

This build is mainly for mission running. If that's not what you're looking for we can figure something else for you.

http://coriolis.io/outfit/vulture/14A5A4A3D5A4D3C1e1e0m00--4a032o662f.Iw19kA==.MwBhCYylgRigLEkQ

That's a nice build, and it definitely gives the Vulture a bit more versatility. I was speccing my Vulture pretty much exclusively for wrecking poo poo, hence the lack of a discovery scanner. The chaff is a good touch. I haven't really used them yet but given I'm mostly tanking heavy ships that're likely using turrets, it's a great add and I'll fold that into my combat spec. I'm not sure about the cargo space though, what I did have was a cursory qualifier for courier and advancement missions.

The lower-spec shield was mostly because I haven't found a 5A yet. I'm in Tabaldak for the community shootmans goal and 5b is the highest I've seen.

I decided to keep the cargo space. Here's what it looks like now.
http://coriolis.io/outfit/vulture/14A5B4A3D5A4B3C1e1e0m000b-4e032o-66.Iw19kA==.Aw19kA==?bn=DFS%20I%20Blame%20Your%20Mother

And here's my incomplete Clipper
http://coriolis.io/outfit/imperial_...l%20End%20Badly

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 24, 2015

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

This makes me want lighting customisation so you can do stuff like colour shifts, pulses and other patterns with your ship's lights.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Fast regen in supercruise would be an option.

Easily explained with technobabble too.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

tooterfish posted:

Kidnapping and assassination.

Hosting player weddings. Three cheers for the happy coup--:fuckoff: this is going to be a funeral barge very soon.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

The Locator posted:

Ok, thanks. If you are caught smuggling, do they blow you up, or just fail your mission and take your stuff?

You get slapped with an instant fine equal to the normal sale value of all illicit goods in your hold. This cost me several hundred thousand credits back during one of the original palladium cloud events because someone either forgot to abandon their cargo, or more likely deliberately seeded unabandoned cargo to gently caress us over. I say that because there were asshat pubbies showing up just because goons r bad. But basically, smuggling is called high risk for a reason.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Helter Skelter posted:

Being wanted does not inherently prevent you from docking somewhere, however. If you're scanned by the cops on the way in, then sure, they'll revoke docking access and start shooting at you, but not getting scanned isn't exactly difficult most of the time.

Yeah, it isn't difficult (at least in the small/medium sub-Python-sized ships) to barrel full-bore towards the station when you arrive, drift-turn to align with the mailslot and hurtle in at 100% throttle before dropping your landing gear to reduce your speed. Once you get the hang of docking at speed and start throwing things like silent running into the mix too, being scanned by the po-po becomes a non-issue.

Also I really need a keyboard macro that loads VLC media player in the background to blast the extended mix of Rules of Nature when I deploy hardpoints.

Even better, when I play in open, I really need a keyboard macro to blast it over comms when I deploy hardpoints.

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jan 5, 2016

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Zaardvark posted:

Coincidentally, I was in a doctor's office today, with nothing to read but Hello! magazines and Reader's Digest 'sample copies', which are like condensed (!) versions of Reader's Digest. It occurs to me that the only time I even remember Reader's Digest exists is when I'm seeing a doctor, which is, like, once every couple of years. How do they stay in business?

By paying teenagers peanuts per copy to deliver them. I know, I was one such teenager looking for extra cash.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

LCL-Dead posted:

To each their own, of course, but some of those control schemes made me hurt.

Where are you guys who are M&KB binding things like boost, chaff, heat sync or SCBs?

Where are your binds for Next closest hostile, target front or next target?

Where's your contextual FSD button, or are you using separate SC and Hyper buttons?

Where's your bind to switch weapon groups?

I run a cheap Logitech joystick so all movement (pitch/roll/yaw + all strafing up/down/left/right) are bound to the stick, along with boost and targeting controls. Everything else is grouped up towards the left side of my keyboard.

Boost: Capslock
Chaff: C
Heatsink: V
FSD: H/J
Switch Weapon Groups: Mouse5
Flight Assist Off: Mouse4 (Hold, not Toggle)
Target Front: T
Next Target: Y
Previous Subsystem: [ (Usually six presses to powerplant :v: )
Next Subsystem: ]

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

RabidWeasel posted:

Viper IV is an acceptable rare trader and much better than an Adder.

Why they made the new model of a fighter ship into a worse fighter with tons of extra cargo space :iiam:

Yeah, the Viper of all things. That's like turning a Dodge Charger into a minivan.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

slidebite posted:

Jesus, I just got my rear end kicked by an NPC. Went to a hazardous RES to try to do some hunting and spotted a Federal Gunship in a wing with 2 explorer Asps. Figure, hey, I'll take out that Gunship quickly and then kill the asps. Well, the Gunship took about 3x as long to kill as it should have and the asps just kept pounding on me. Finally turned on the Asps and realized they were almost through my shields again so popped another cell and they collapsed them just as it got online. Well poo poo, started taking a bit of damage but just thought I'd jump to the close by star base to repair up. Spooled up frame shift and just as it was about to jump, mass lock. I was going towards the belt (couldn't see it, it was in a system with a ring gap and it was dark). I start to hear the windscreen cracking and notice I'm down to 50%. poo poo, I'd better jump to a system. Panic, pic any system and JUST as the frame shift gets to the last bar to jump, killed.

$3,000,000 rebuy for my Python :(

Oh well, that's my story.

Hey, what's the trading route tool to use nowdays? Need to do some trucking.

I had a similar HazRES experience a few days ago in my Vulture. I put everything in ENG, boosted away at a consistently >350m/s speed while my hull got peeled down to about 15% and managed to save myself 1.6 mil. Those hazardous RESes are not loving around.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Shine posted:

You don't need an interdicter for assassination missions, incidentally. If you just tail the target in supercruise long enough, they'll eventually drop out on their own, leaving a wake you can target and drop to. Also, those missions are dumb, don't take them.

This, definitely. gently caress assassinations. RESing is better money.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

H13 posted:

So I picked up 9.5 Million bucks worth of smuggling missions from Robigo.

I set out with a huge grin on my face...

...and got scanned after making 1 drop-off. I deployed chaff and was going as fast as I could, but I still got nabbed.

What do I do to not get buggered like this? I made 3 million so not all was lost but was still a bit poo poo.

If you're getting interdicted repeatedly, log out to the main menu and log back in and it will clear all the NPCs from the system you're in.

Always make sure you're approaching the station (why are you docking at a station and not an outpost with your illegal goods? Outposts have no cops.) from planetside, not outside its orbit.

The other option, especially if you don't have guns, is to use task manager to kill elitedangerous.exe before it completes.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Eldragon posted:

Holy poo poo that works? I'm writing a program to kill it by pressing a keyboard button.

Yes it does, I've saved myself from overextending my under-specced Python several times in RESes doing the same thing.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

UCS Hellmaker posted:

So hoping they don't nerf robigo and the rest giving so much money in the beta. It will make the late game grind disappear and bring alot of people back. Make it so the missions scale with rank but keep the 10 to 40 mill payout. But the loving brown sea will scream for a nerf ugh

Yeah, I completely agree with this. The cash grind is loving ridiculous. By comparison, back when Frontier: First Encounters came out, I was able to get myself in a Panther Clipper, the largest ship available in that game, for 2.7 million. That will barely get you a large beam laser in ED.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

What exactly are the changes to combat that have people lamenting the end of RES/bounty hunting in anything but the fastest ships?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Tips and optimisation advice welcome.

Imperial Clipper
1 C3 gimballed beam
1 C3 fixed beam
2 C2 gimballed cannons

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 10:27 on May 18, 2016

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

DancingShade posted:

Unless engineers allow you to beef up your distributor a lot you're going to run out of power & generate too much heat.

Simple solution is to swap to two medium beams & 2 large cannons :v:

(or 2 large frag cannons :black101:)

I may just give that a shot :D, several stations near where I am have 3c gimballed frags.

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 10:37 on May 18, 2016

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I ran a similar setup for months and months. My advice is to swap out the beams for pulses -- it'll save you headaches.

Yeah, I might try switching back to those too while I'm experimenting.

quote:

The good news is that when 2.1 drops c2 beams c3 multis are extremely viable.

This is excellent news. I can't wait to strap those giant rotary mofos on my ships.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

hobbesmaster posted:

I kinda wish this was a single player/private server game so you could just create a mod that adjusts the value of npc bounties and other profits on a per server basis. Like, just a few changes would make this game a blast.

Yeah, one of my main gripes with this game is the sheer bloody ridiculousness of item/ship pricing compared to earning potential. I've mentioned it before, but for comparison the biggest ship in Frontier: First Encounters - the Panther Clipper - cost 2,000,000. Now, that'll barely buy you a large beam laser.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

You guys weren't kidding about the AI difficulty bump. While pootling back into the bubble I was repeatedly interdicted in my Python by a single Deadly-rated Cobra IV.
This is my Python
http://coriolis.io/outfit/python/06...o%20Communicate

The Cobra IV proceeded to shred my shields in under 2 seconds and managed during our first tangle to stay entirely out of my forward hemisphere. I got away, only for him to interdict me .5ls from the station I was heading for. This time I managed to actually shoot him up somewhat but in dealing a paltry 14% damage to him, he once more stripped my shields and did 26% hull damage before I jumped to cruise again. THEN he appears right behind me as I'm within 7km of the station and proceeds to try finishing the job. I chanced the no-fire-zone violation fine to put a stop to it though it was the station and its interceptors that really did the job.

Holy. poo poo.

So basically I just hosed off my bottom-tier powerplay alignment because dealing with that poo poo every 2 minutes and risking a 3.5mil rebuy because of bullshit reasons is not on my list of cool and fun things to do.

P.S. Any build tips for that Python would be appreciated. It was previously used mostly for supplementing my income with Robigo shuffling hence its slight underspeccing.

Same goes for my Clipper

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 05:34 on May 28, 2016

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

hobbesmaster posted:

I can kill Pythons pretty fast, in my vulture, if they don't have shields its goodbye fast. You need military hull or one of the enhanced hulls for the Python.
look at the video again.

I've got 16 mil credits and Robigo is a nobigo right now so scrimping together the 43 mil for military composites will take a while now. I had planned on Robishuffling to deal with the retarded economy in the weeks prior to 2.1 but real life had other ideas.

Also, I read somewhere there's an issue with meta-alloys right now so they're temporarily available for purchase. Any idea where?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

DancingShade posted:

Python can still HazRez farm ok, you just need to work a lot harder for it. I feel it still needs tuning.

Basically if you're in a sluggish ship be wary as gently caress engaging agile ones. My first fight post engineers was an NPC Dangerous FAS flying my Python and that fucker would not get off my 6 until I pulled out every trick in the book. The only way I could even shoot back was alternating between reverse shooting and flight assist off.

Good fight.

I refused to engage a wing of 2 Diamondback Scouts and an iCourier though. Previously I'd have jumped in but with this AI? gently caress that noise.

Yeah I'm headed back to where my Vulture and Clipper are docked so I can try them instead until I can afford to make my Python viable per the new patch.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Are there any pages that list the recipes for each engineer so I don't have to keep exhaustive notepad details of what I should be looking for when I want to upgrade my FSD/Power plant, or trekking out to the engineer's workshop every time?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

MisterZimbu posted:

I'm an idiot who accepted a trading mission instead of blowing stuff up (though to be fair it sounds like you really can't blow stuff up right now).

I can tell what systems export an item I need, but is there a way in game to easily tell which stations actually sell the commodity, besides checking each one individually on the system map (which in peak :frontear: requires 5 clicks per station plus loading times if it's on a surface)?

Also I got interdicted by a loving NPC anaconda that immediately opened fire on me. gently caress this piece of poo poo game

Inara.cz's market tool is really useful for this kind of thing.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

MisterZimbu posted:

Thanks for this.

Pretty dumb that there doesn't seem to be any way ingame to do this short of literally visiting every station in a system, but that's E:D for you I guess.

Yeah, I agree. I pretend it does by using the steam overlay

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

The game is broken in many ways right now. I played all the previous games in my youth and I agree it is ridiculous atm sp it's not really a case of oldschoolers, more a vocal group of fuckwits

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

:laffo: ok, how was that a meltdown? Fly away troll

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Knifegrab posted:

Your best bet is to ignore every single one of his posts, almost all of them devolve to:

-:allears:
-Nice meltdown
-A meltdown

I believe he thinks he is being "meta" or something.

Yeah I got that sense too.

Anyway, other than some of the materials for the engineers, the super AI, the sudden prevalence of interdictions by elites and the generally wonky prices on everything I do still think the game has potential. I just don't know what the he'll they're thinking with some of these design and balance decisions. The pictures and fluff for mission givers is nice though, makes things seem a little less (pardon the pun) faceless.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Literally Kermit posted:

PS I have gotten into my gold asp and am devising plans to get everyone in this here outfit into an iggle with advanced thrusters, or die in the attempt. Pray for me, folks.

icouriers with pulses and a frag cannon are fun too, even has room for a scarab for planet shenanigans

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

ShadowMoo posted:

Seems like it might no longer be necessary to google where to pick up mats.

That's a nice change. I approve.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Blind Rasputin posted:

I don't understand conflict zones. I go to a low intensity one, side with a faction, about two seconds later a hundred NPCs are on me and blow me up. Like, what in hell kind of mechanic is that.

I've even tried to stay with the green pack and not shoot until they do, but that doesn't work either.

Yeah that's been my experience with CZs since the Engineers patch dropped too. You don't want to try CZs without a wing.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Yeah, mass reduction is a must for exploring, and with less mass comes increased range.

I also got a decent heat efficiency boost on my low emissions power plant.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Luneshot posted:

What attracts me to exploring in Elite is the accuracy of it, and modeling our actual galaxy- that I can go fly around real objects that I can go look at through a telescope. Objects have realistic physical properties, are classified using real systems and are named according to real catalogues. E:D is the most complete and thorough model of our galaxy in any video game, excepting possibly Space Engine. As an astronomer, it means a lot to me to see my field being represented fairly accurately.

No Man's Sky has none of that, and that doesn't hold nearly the same appeal to me. I realize that 99.9% of players don't give a poo poo about that- but the ability to explore our own galaxy is what drew me to Elite in the first place, and NMS probably won't scratch that itch.

I think the original Elite was one of the reasons I developed a fascination with space as a kid that has lasted well into my adult life. I agree that there's something special about the verisimilitude at play here that NMS won't have.

Of course, being able to visit Poopdickballs II and see the glorious speckled Mangina discovered by A7X~GoKuSePhIrOtH420~A7X still holds its own special appeal.

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jul 29, 2016

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

DancingShade posted:

Rocky airless planets aren't terribly flat and if they're low gravity you're going to go flying whenever you hit anything uneven at speed.

This. Even hitting a wanky little pebble will throw your SRV around. Also, turning while you're also giving it throttle.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Einbauschrank posted:

I am perhaps doing it wrong, but how do I find these pirates I am supposed to hunt? I got 15/16 but now I can't find "mission targets". Neither in free space, nor at nav beacons nor at RES.

Also, are there BGS factors that determime whether a faction offers pirate hunting missions? It's not like war/civil war afaik.

Any ship belonging to a pirate faction should be fair game. You may just be falling foul of the RNG. Have you tried quitting to the main menu and re-entering the game? Failing that, try dropping into a different game mode (private/solo) and just give it a bit of time for the system to populate.

Not sure about your second question.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Einbauschrank posted:

Ah, I have to hunt the "pirates of the xyz faction". So not any purate will do. Or is pirate simply another word for "our opponents"?

Ahh, yeah then the first part of my statement was erroneous.

Morter posted:

I find 95% of those interdicting or being interdicted by them, rather than at zones where pirates spawn

In cases where you have to target a specific faction, Morter has the right idea here. Interdict. If you're still not seeing members of that faction, try relogging or leaving the system then re-entering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Pilchenstein posted:

Not getting full cost back on modules probably wouldn't be an issue if they'd make any effort at all to balance the price of stuff versus (non-exploit) earnings. Also, I don't think the sky is falling, it's just another reminder that they still haven't worked out which bits of the game are fun yet.

This is the big sticking point I have, and I've brought it up before. A single module in this game can cost many times more than the most expensive ship (the Panther Clipper, at 2.7mil, and I think the Griffin was in that price range too) you could buy in Frontier: First Encounters. It's ridiculous.

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Dec 9, 2016

• Locked thread