Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

I just want a swarm of NPC fighters fighting for me lesser targets while I focus larger ones. Cannon fodder, basically.

And this interests me:

quote:

Launched vessels can be either NPC or CMDR piloted, and will be used to fight off enemy craft, or act as scouting vessels on planets.

Also shaved spacewaifu.

EDIT: I only now received Digital Art Book? Huh? I forgot I should have one. Ok.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Aug 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Truga posted:

Yeah, but there's about 7 billion systems just in the bubble :shrug:
Is it? I always thought only several thousand systems are populated.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Interview was added as a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQaK-j1n8co

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

El Grillo posted:

So from these videos, looks like you can't leave AI in control of your ship/give your ship commands if you hop in the fighter? Or did they just not show that bit. Weird to see the Type 9 just sit stationary with its arse hanging open, while it's being shot at.
I am pretty sure someone said that your ship should be able to defend itself while you fly around in a fighter. That video seems like a demonstration (no way python would be that squishy).

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Disable modules to reduce heat and fit in smallest power plant you can to increase jump range.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Funny that people complain about unrealistic and immersion breaking additions to game with FTL travel. If you can tunnel through witchspace or travel at superluminal speeds in supercruise an still see something, you can also instantly appear at the station after your death, who cares. I can do tedious tasks, but then I want a salary.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

I am a returning player, I haven't played much since Engineers update arrived and I am piloting python for some RES bounty hunting and stuff (basically multipurpose). I read that pythons were nerfed (or AI was buffed) in 2.1, should I switch to some other ship (although there is probably no other similar multipurpose ship?), are pythons doing better in beta or should I just do the engineers stuff to get my hands on some useful upgrades and everything will be wonderful again?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

TorakFade posted:

So, where are the promised aliens / thargoids?

They said they're coming, dropping hints and unknown barnacles but still nothing

I want to believe
I think there was some kind of surprise promised near the end of Horizons updates... aliens, I guess.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

How grindy is engineering currently? Sometimes I think of returning to the game, because I like the setting and with upcoming update, I more inclined to play again. But doing same stuff over and over again for weeks (or longer?) to be where I was before the engineers update doesn't sound like a fun to me.

Although maybe I could try to find some fun in trucking, at least I won't have to improve my (forgotten) piloting skill too...

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Thank you very much, I just returned to Elite and this helps me a lot :kiddo:

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

So... should I put hull reinforcemenent or module reinforcement packages inside Anaconda? It seems I cannot engineer module packages anywhere for now? Why is that? Why does fuel scoop have only shielded mod? Where is the logic? Eh.

Asproigerosis posted:

Max out my python or buy n fly a barebones anaconda?
Probably Python, but I think you can have semi-decent cheap Anaconda build for around 200-250 with sales from Sirius Corp. (or go grind Quince to get decent Conda)

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Mar 12, 2017

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Fojar38 posted:

The only thing that's giving me pause is that there seems to be a lot of emphasis on EVE online-esque fuckery like ganking which I'm concerned about. Is it really that bad?
There is even large PVE group (Mobius) if you want some players in your galaxy, but don't want to be attacked by them. But the game's PvP is completely optional anyway.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Was approximate release date of Commanders mentioned anywhere?

apropos man posted:

Do the Quince missions seem to be getting fewer and lower paid for you? It's been happening both for myself and my buddy for the last three days.
Sort of. Then I log in later and I just suddenly pick all the 800k to 1.5 million missions, it seems to vary a LOT. Maybe it's related to faction states, current population of players or something :iiam:

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

apropos man posted:

Interesting that you are getting on average 300k more for your missions. I am [Competent, Entrepreneur, Pathfinder], so maybe your game ranking is boosting the mission payouts a bit.
But those are rare, I don't think game ranking matters, because with allied status, you will get missions meant for Elite rank anyway.

sethimothy posted:

Found a system called LHS 2921 which says I need a permit, but as far as I can tell, there's nothing or no one that can give me said permit, is that correct? What's the trick to going there?
Contact thargoid technical support.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

To whom it may concern: Quince factions are in civil war again (or it's because of the boom, who knows), therefore profitable missions returned (it seems).

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Mar 20, 2017

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Drake_263 posted:

Is Quince just money, or couldn't you use it to grind Imperial reputation, too? Need to work on muh iCutter authorization.
Both, it's imperial system.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

DrDork posted:

I recommend you always go to the planet to scan in Open Play mode, because if you're in the vague vicinity of the scan point and someone else scans it, it (for some reason) counts for you, too! I've had missions completed this way before I even landed my ship, which cuts off a good chunk of time.
I finished those runs maybe 99% thanks to someone else doing those scans.

Also, if you don't mind suiciding, you can just crash into planet or self-destruct after your missions are updated. That way you don't have to fly back to station and you won't lose rewards.

Edit: yes, you can fit SRV into a sidewinder.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Mar 24, 2017

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Phuzun posted:

So I found that ship builder, coriolois. Is the edcd domain the current one? And is there a way to know which stations I need to visit to find the specific parts I want?

Looking to build a good space truck, don't have lots of cash or horizons (yet), so I was going to go with upgrading the Hauler a bit more. Certainly take suggestions, though I'm not sure there is much available for under 1mil. Right now my hauler can do 16T and 14ly jumps. Looks like I could kick it up to 30ly with some better items. Been hanging close to diamond frogs station for missions, if those parts are nearby.
You should (almost) always buy ships and outfit them at stations in Li Yong (or whatever his name is) space, there is 15% discount. You can try searching for specific modules here https://eddb.io/station

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Einbauschrank posted:

My long range Cutter is the "Lady in the Black"
The Combat Cutter is the "Self-Injury"
I'll try to name my 'Vette "Eat Biowaste&Die" once I can get to it.
My Python is "Frameshift is Magic"
The Asps are "Space Crêpe" and "Burger".
The Beluga is called "Star Citizen"
You should've named your panther clipper "Star Citizen".

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

TomR posted:

Anaconda is still King.

what

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

One thing that always bothered me in python was cockpit view with some ugly panel in upper left corner. But melting enemies with three large conviently placed beam lasers compensated for that.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Blind Rasputin posted:

The sense of size felt a bit off.
Yeah, because your cockpit is in front, unlike Anaconda in which you are looking at majority of your ship from the cockpit.

Overwined posted:

The Hauler has the crown for 80's (or more like 90's) econo-people mover interior.
Indeed. You can really see how cockpits become plusher with increase in price. Sidewinder even has some bits in the cockpit duct taped, ew.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

So, someone's Mary Sue died, if I understand correctly.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

I thought that shouldn't be possible :confused:

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

I am sure some people asked like 10 times since the update... but how is Quince compared to pre-Commanders state?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

How much in assets and balance is enough?

Am I just too greedy when I feel the urge to do Quince missions one more time... every time?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Opal posted:

Speaking of Quince, has anyone else noticed a difference in the last couple of days or have I just been really unlucky?

My SOP is take two high-paying missions from Solo, jump to Open and grab the rest of the board but the last six or seven runs I did I started getting really low cash missions. Like I might have one for 1m and one for 250k in Solo and then maybe three missions in Open totaling less than 1m together. Also, every single site I've gone to since then has been guarded which in itself is not a problem, just something I noticed.

Anyone else seeing this?
Sounds like a bad luck? I am still getting mission rewards in millions.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Are collector drones also collecting components for engineers?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

I recently started doing passanger missions (because why not) and I found this guy...

I think I need his shirt (jacket?) for my cmdr

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Terraformable water worlds paying more than earth-likes? What kind of logic is that?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Trustworthy posted:

You stay more sane if you do it right; scan planets until you find one that's rich with the element you need, then get your rear end down to the surface and follow your SRV sensors to outcrops, mesometeorites, etc.
Or take a look at eddb, it has compositions of planets too.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Ak Gara posted:

I'm pretty sure that's out of the confines of the observable universe, dude.
pretty sure that no one is really sure where the boundaries of the universe lie or whether it has any boundaries :goonsay:

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

lemonadesweetheart posted:

The thing I don't really get is if you can FSD to one star in a system why the gently caress can't you do it to others in the same system? Is there some bullshit that explains this? If you could just pick the star you wanted to FSD too it would cut down on all the messing.
Bullshit explanation: you are FSDing to a gravitational center of the system.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Khablam posted:

SC is the thing that wears it most, though people suggest without shielding increases it.

Brand new:

Landed at hutton 90mins later:

I am going to visit Sedna and Persephone now (whatever it is), gods help me.

Edit: Ah, it is much closer then Hutton, nevermind then.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Aug 31, 2017

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Hutton is 6.7 million Ls from the star? LOL!!!! how long does that actually take to fly? Why the gently caress would I ever want to waste that time?
About one and a half to two episodes of some series, so you don't waste your time.

Fun fact: the distance is actually shown in LY and not in LS.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Honky Dong Country posted:

I'll never earn an honest spacebuck ever again
you know, selling slaves/drugs/weapons is probably much worse than bountyhunting in terms of earning honest spacebucks. bountyhunting is basically doing cops' job. anyway, I share your sentiment.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

one of the asteroid bases.
Eh, I always forget these things were added. And megaships and geysers and so on. Thank you for reminding me, I have to take a look at them too.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Where can I find these things? I haven't seen any either...
Locations of megaships and asteroid bases can be found at eddb in stations section, you can filter them by station type.
You can also filter bodies at eddb by type of volcanism, but so far, I stil haven't done some sightseeing, so I don't know. But many passenger missions want you to visit some geysers.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Wait why are we shooting at thargoids canonically? :confused:
Because there is no other available interaction with stuff in the game. Shoot it or scoop it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

So, what's the next credit-making glitch?

Anyway, I am sure there will be one.

• Locked thread