Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
I'm doing my first community event hauling junk out to Carthage. One of the items they want is Thermal Cooling Units. I looked on https://eddb.io/ and found a nearby outpost with 12,500 of them. Flew there, didn't see any. However, my E:D Market Updater updated and when I refresh the eddb page, it shows they have them still and the last update was a a few seconds ago. Strange, I thought, so I flew to another outpost that had 4,200 of them. When I get there, they don't show up either and the eddb page says it was just updated seconds ago as well. I've also tried logging out then back in, switching to solo and back, and still nothing.

Do I have to have some sort of faction to buy thermal cooling units or need the horizons expansion to see them? I only have the base client.

EDIT: I am looking in the Commodities Market under Machinery, but have looked through the whole list and do not see them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Libluini posted:

Everything related to Engineers is Horizons only, sorry. Including commodities needed for engineering upgrades.
Thanks, that makes sense! It would be nice if they listed that somehow. I didn't realize that they were engineering upgrade materials, seems odd that you can't even haul worthless commodities without paying for Horizons. I hope in future expansions they make Low-Temperature Diamonds a usable item so that they won't show up in the market for poor people, and then I can use them the bling the ever loving poo poo out of my ship. I want it to look like a disco ball when you shoot it with a laser.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

MoraleHazard posted:

However, I was grinding Fed rep and credits in Sothis / Ceos yesterday and got ganked for the first time by another player. Got jumped by a FDL in my lightly-shielded Asp-E and he just vaporized me. I forgot to FA off though; I wonder if that would've done anything. I have mines for PVE interdiction, but I figured they would've been worthless against another player so I just kept my hardpoints retracted in the hope to jump out.
That's funny, I was doing the same (fed missions to get to petty officer) in my Asp Explorer at Ceos and got blasted for the first time by a player (150 hours of gameplay) as well. Was it CMDR N1nja(something)? I came out of supercruise and boosted 375m/s toward the mailslot and 10 seconds later "under attack, shield breach attack, thrusters offline" wait what is happening? I was dead in 5 seconds. It made me thing, "drat I need to get on those engineer upgraded weapons on my Vulture!"

Which brings me here. When doing an overcharged multi-cannon, the bonuses are "rate of fire", "damage", and "damage per second". If the third is literally defined by multiplying the first two... how can it be upgraded independently? Is it trying to say "reload speed"? That's the only value that would change the damage per second independent of the ROF and damage.

EDIT: I'm going to boil you up!

CapnBry fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Aug 9, 2016

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
Haha what is the deal with the wanted implementation in this game (code-quality-wise)? I had a little misunderstanding with some random non-wanted jerk who yanked me out of supercruise. I thought he must have been the pirate I had been warned about a few moments earlier so I sent The Welcome Party (about 30 mines) to greet him. By the time I realized he was clean it was too late, he was already dead and I was now a wanted man. When I logged out last night at the neighboring system, I had an active bounty.

This morning I decide to go convert that to a dormant bounty by buying a cheap ship and going to get myself killed there. I fly on over and guess what? I'm no longer flagged as wanted there. I check my transactions and sure enough, no active bounties. I'm also missing one of my two prexisting dormant bounties. That's great because I had a couple of missions to turn in so I go drop those off at the various stations, including one owned by the faction who had a bounty out on me, no problem. Log back in this afternoon at the same station, WANTED. The active bounty is back. What the hell?

I've also seen times when I got an active bounty, jumped to the next system, and checked immediately and "hey, no bounty?" so I jump back. No wanted, nice. Then someone scans me and bam wanted pops up and they deploy weapons upon me. Is my character just in denial about his fugitive status all the time?

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Main Paineframe posted:

After the CG ends it will remain in your Transactions tab with completion details until the reward is collected. However, the reward will automatically be collected and delivered to you after two weeks, so now you don't need to do anything but it's too late to see what you earned.
Oh man that is a super helpful thing to know. I took off after the last CG and forgot I had to go collect my 2 million space bucks. I'm over 10,000ly away now and I figured I'd have to make the trek back before then current CG ends because that seemed fair in my my by how the rules of this game could work. I'm pleased to hear they will just fax me my money.

- changing topics -
Marco Qwent, nobody likes you. All I want is some level 5 thruster mods. Did I mind picking up 3x Soontill Relics to please Elvira Martuuk and engineer up to rank 3 to get your name? Not at all. Did I enjoy doing 500 goddamn missions for Sirius Corp, where one of out every five salvage missions you sent me on the mission objective never spawned after 20 minutes of circling the planet at various altitudes from 1Mm to 4ls, only to get the permit which then required me to do a delivery which revealed your location and that I didn't have 25 Modular Terminals because I didn't think that far ahead so I spent a whole day going station to station looking for them in mission rewards, then flew back to your stupid base that is aggravatingly far from the jump point and turned them in and ranked you up to 3.35 and left.

You'll never see me again Marco Qwent. All your upgrades are garbage. You took me nearly 20 hours of playtime to unlock. The only reason anyone ever comes to see you is to use you to get to Professor Palin and you should feel bad about yourself.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

radintorov posted:

The worstbest part is the 25 Modular Terminals specifically: missions give you 4 commodities so by being 25 instead of 24 you need to do one mission more after the previous rigamarole because :frontear: hatesloves us. :allears:
haha Yes, also that they go for like 140 credits each if you sell them at the market.

Incoming mission critical update: "Hi, we gave you 2 days to do that mission and you're back at the station in under an hour but we're getting pretty impatient and will throw in an extra 75,000 credits if you can land and manage to get the mission screen to load in under 30 seconds". How about you just give me 750 credits worth of Modular Terminals instead and I will smash this Asp directly into your office window with the trade data in under 20 seconds? You can even keep the 400k base reward and just give me 4k worth of commodities! for I know you have tons of them I see them stacked behind your desk!

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

OH! I did find a bunch of chemical manipulators (grade 5 fsd) and conductive ceramics (grade 5 lightweight multi-cannon and grade 5 clean thrusters) from interdicting type-6/7/9s and blowing them up in an anarchy system if anyone needs those. :pirate:
I got my fill on chemical manips (and distillerys to get through rank 4) by doing something similar. Set the galaxy map status to "outbreak", then looked around for one that was anarchy. I was looking for a "Collecting medicine" in the system, which has plenty of large ships just hangin' out, but I ran into a "Convoy Beacon" instead (not a USS "Convoy Dispersal Pattern"). In it there were 2-3 Type-9 and a 3-4 Type-6/7 along with some sidewinders. You could just just open up on a Type 9 and the whole convoy wouldn't mind. After I killed all the transport ships I just logged out and back in twice and ended up with like 40 of everything, which is when I realized that they now get picked up in 3's!

I also used the opportunity to learn how to fight sidewinders in my new Anaconda. I saved my money and went from Asp Explorer all the way to Anaconda so I never got the pleasure of experiencing a large ship that can't turn for poo poo. I'd plink one of the sidewinders so he'd aggro and let him get around behind me, then figured out how to pilot this space cow over the course of a couple hours of flailing around.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
I hope some of the VIP missions are just as terribly coded as the "We need that delivery NOW! You have 20 seconds for every light second away you are." bonuses. If I just jumped into the system I have an hour to get it to the station, if I dropped out at the station I have about 20 seconds land. "I say old chap," you hear from your luxury cargo hold. "The governess would so appreciate if you could swing by the Quickie USS and collect a canister of Occupied Escape Pod (Unique). One would be such a conversation piece in our 3rd floor guest bathroom." But in the seconds you took to look at the message you already flew by the USS and it is gone forever.

I also already run a space bus, except the passengers don't need fancy space cabins and a second mission board. I can pack them in much more tightly, they don't care where their destination is, I can get them in bulk, and they don't seem to mind if when I get to the destination I had a fuel scooping incident that caused a malfunction of the cargo hatch and a few tons of them fell out. They're called imperial slaves. Considering you can make about 4k per unit, they're probably more profitable to carry too.

That route planning filter is pretty great though. I'll never get to play the nervous fuel game I like to play where I don't look at the system map and just hope harder and harder that the NEXT jump will have a scoopable star.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Dante80 posted:

Holy shitballs, that is amazing! O_O

Instant transfer (and with these prices) is a little cheesy..but I'll take it!
For reals! I expected that they'd do this eventually except it would take a long time to transfer the ship. The even better news is that this also gives us "equipment storage lockers" that can instantly be beckoned to where ever we are. I've yet to find a convenient one-stop-shop that has every piece of equipment I could possibly want to fit on any one of my ships, and ed-td's Find Outfitting is often incorrect so I am always going around looking for a 6A Fuel Scoop or a place that sells the right size prospector limpets AND collector limpets that I want, and where did I get those gimbled large multicannons that one time? I can just put those items on a spare ship and swap them in using a sell/buyback swap. I can do that now, but I have to actually go to where my storage ship is, which makes it not even worth doing.

Also for doing CG events with my 15LY-jumpin' Vulture without having to do a 38 jump trip, stopping every 2-3 stars to scoop. I'd much rather travel in comfort on the 49LY-jumping Asp that can also fuel scoop without all the electronics catching fire every 10 seconds.

CapnBry fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 21, 2016

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
You want to talk immersion, my character sat in the cockpit of a sidewinder for DAYS without getting out. Even when I went to starports and docked in the hanger, I would appear to remain in the cockpit. Clearly the pilot's seat is a toilet. Also, why didn't I have to realistically go through rehab when I got my asp? My legs muscles should have atrophied to the point the muscles were unusable and I never would have been able to get up and walk. Why didn't I have to fly to rehab planet and spend 3 days learning to walk again so I could make the journey from the cockpit cabin door to my new toilet chair? And where is my head for that matter?

Last night I played my Anaconda for the first time on the Vive. I love that you sit high enough that you feel really close to the ceiling and can see it in your vision. It makes you feel like you're actually looking out a window rather than space just filling your view and forgetting I am in a spaceship. I hate that the Huge gun mount is on the bottom of the ship though. I have a cannon down there, but the only way I can hit people with it is if they're like 400m away and I can't even see them because they're underneath the giant bow of the ship! You'd think the people at Faulcon DeLacy would have considered putting a webcam on the bottom of the ship and a little screen on the captain's chair so you can see where your gun is aiming and if the target is in the middle of changing directions so wait a sec before firing the cannon.

Any tips on hitting people with a huge cannon if I can't see the target?

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Oh my god stop messaging me it's not that critical.

haha yes. Even more critical is the critical blow to my self esteem when I fail to land within 18 seconds of getting to the space station and I get 20 messages about it.

"We're very disappointed you weren't able..."
"We expected better of you..."
"I thought you'd rise to the occasion..."
"We're not mad, just disappointed..."
"If you're OK being just an OK courier then that's fine for some people..."
"We didn't expect we hired the best pilot and there were no surprises..."
:(

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Hey you! Yeah, you! Are you coming back after months of inactivity? Are you a complete newbie? Do you want to learn how to do engineer stuff? Then boy do I have the thing for you! I present "The Tadpole's Uplifting Engineering Primer" -- this will tell you what you need to know, what you need to do, and all that great stuff. Check it out here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/14F5pbks7dpEOGaVlhE8b-i2hJg2ufj31wuaMq8Ro-iw/edit?usp=sharing
This is great and I actually just learned I could buy armor mods for my Lightweight Armor. I just assumed that because it weighed nothing, that it must not be able to have any effects! Also it is a lot clearer who does what and how to do unlocking progression. Where were you two weeks ago when I decided to get Horizons and was all WTF HALP!

We all know it, and it is mentioned at the end of the paragraph, but where you say "Every time you roll an upgrade like this, you improve your rep with the Engineer." you might want to immediately follow that with 3x per rank upgrade text because that's good to know and not immediately obvious because you can't see engineer rank from the actual upgrade screen to see it moving.

quote:

Every time you roll an upgrade like this, you improve your rep with the Engineer. Three upgrades of the same rank as your engineer rep rank will progress your reputation to the next rank (e.g 3x of a type 4 mod will advance the engineer from rank 4 to 5). However, you can keep rolling the same rank 1 upgrade over and over again, and you’ll keep making rank progress even if you don’t ever intend to keep the upgrades and discard them all. Max rank is 5. ...

I'm with you though, I find that it is easier to just use rank 1 mats to get to 3 or 4, then do a "cheap" mod to get up to 5 and then burn my rep to get a weapon mod applied. There's no use using stuff you might need later if you have a goddamn 150 sulfur because Bronzite Chondrite is apparently just a barrel of sulphur.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Do you still have to sell every module of your ship individually before the hull? or do they take it into account now?
I just checked this and holy cow what a dick move. You lose 10% of the cost of the modules if you just sell the ship with everything on it. I thought for sure you'd get full price for the modules, 10% off the ship. Numbers:
Sidewinder: cost 32,000
Sell: offered 28,800
Added reactive surface composite armor (139,424): offered (forgot to write this down but it was ~154k) not 28,800 + 139,424 = 167,424.

So yeah that sucks. I guess I lose money every time I buy a Hauler to be a taxi and fit it with an A class FSD and fuel scoopie and sell it outright when I get where I am going.

Regarding using the galaxy map in VR, I was doing a twitch stream yesterday and I was going from Lave to Delkar and I thought, "I have a pretty good idea of where that is and what is around it so let's just find it using the HOTAS." Nope, a minute later I take the hat off and go walk to the other room, type it in, hit enter, waggle the rotation left and right a bit so I can select it and tromp back to the VR room grumbling. Relying heavily on "open galaxy map" from the mission list, or having a handful of bookmarks really helps but space is so big, I don't want to go to just the same places over and over again!

Anyone with a GTX 1070 have a good configuration that isn't all alias-artifacted to hell and doesn't drop too many frames? Funny I can run this game at 100+ FPS on Ultra with 2.0x SuperSampling with the GPU at 100% usage, but in VR even "VR HIgh" reprojects like a mo-fo in the station. All that news from gamescom and not one question was if they're looking at doing FOVeated rendering, lens-matched shading, or implementing simultaneous stereo rendering using the new Nvidia stuff. I want my VR to be as beautiful as my desktop!

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Main Paineframe posted:

There's some amount of scaling based on ship (spawns got noticeably nastier once I upgraded from Asp to Anaconda), but mostly in terms of what ships you come up against. If you downgrade to an Eagle, you'll probably be coming up against engineer-boosted Eagles and Vipers instead of engineer-boosted Anacondas.
I wish there was some way to set what you wanted, either by going to certain places which are of a certain type (larger ships vs smaller ships, or engineer ships vs stock) or just being able to set it directly. I was in my Vulture and was in a high res blasting away on Anacondas and FDLs for an hour and having a great time, getting like 2M in bounties in an hour, and I said "Let's go get the Anaconda!" Flew back and switched ships and went back to the exact same place and it was all Cobra, Cobra, Cobra, Cobra, Cobra, Eagle, Cobra, Cobra, Imperial Eagle, Cobra. I tried logging out and back in, same ship assortment. I switched to solo play, same ships. I wouldn't mind as much but they only spawn so fast and killing a dude for 10-30k bounty every 4-5 minutes is balls. Especially if the space cops come and destroy the poor fellow before I can get my 800 ton rear end over to him.

It's like playing a fantasy MMOG where all the dungeons are filled with random level dudes, that spawn one at a time, on the other side of the dungeon.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Bumbler posted:

Just focus on high profit trading missions, I aim for anything above 100k per ton.
While I was in Sothis I considered how the payouts work there and immediately it was quite obvious that the smaller the mission overall tonnage, the greater the payout per ton. So a mission to move 8 tons is worth 3.3M (415k/ton), but a mission to move 84 tons is only worth 6.8M (81k/ton). So ideally you want to take 20x 8 ton missions which would be 66.4M credits and require 160T of cargo space. That's your theoretical max efficiency. However, missions spawn from 8 tons to 144 tons so you gotta do a LOT of mission refreshing to get 20x. Here's a graph I made with the reward per ton versus mission tonnage size.

In my Asp, I could make a round trip to the delivery general area and back in 20 minutes, PLUS 5.5 minutes per stop (so one mission would be 25.5 minutes, two missions 31 minutes etc). I tried to determine if flipping the mission board 10 times (~25-30 minutes) to get better missions was better than actually just grabbing whatever they had on one set of flips, then going and doing those and coming back to new missions. I eventually decided it "felt best" to come in, do one flip and take missions, go AFK and pee, get another beer, flip the missions again and go do a run. If you don't mind sitting around all day refreshing missions though, it could be a lot more profitable that I was getting, which was about 12-15M a run (112 cargo space).

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Mine launchers are the answer to the problem. Pirates hate this one crazy trick!
I nearly rage quit this game two weeks after buying ED when I was getting interdicted and losing a fight once every 2 hours, and ALWAYS with a full load of slaves on board. I spent a whole day getting money back up and losing it over and over, then I bought mines mines mines mines mines mines mines mines and started destroying everything that comes for me. When I saw the interdiction text come in, I'd laugh and submit immediately and laugh and laugh as I'd "boil up" everything from Eagles to Pythons. Don't even bother trying to boost away any more in that ship because space pirates don't know what the gently caress is happening to them.

Also thanks again for the engineer guide, I finally did my first SRV data scanning run thanks to you!

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

LostCosmonaut posted:

Are there any consequences for not completing a mission you've accepted? I accepted a mission to take some info to a station 12 ly away, not realizing that with the starter ship's lovely jump range I'd have to go through about 20 systems, and gently caress that. :downs:
You'll take a reputation hit I think equal to the rep gain you were going to get from completing the mission. Also, if they gave you goods to transport then you'll usually get a fine on the order of the value of the goods and you get to keep the cargo, except now they are stolen so can only be sold on the black market.

A corollary to the mines mines mines mines mines pirate defense, I ran got interdicted by a Python last night who had a point defense module which would pew pew all the mines. I only have 2 launchers now because that seems to do the job just fine usually, but I ran out of mines with him at 36% hull. Luckily, in a rare instance where the NPC gets the shorter end of the stick for once, the Python had no hardpoints. Just point defense! So I let the pirate talk smack a while about all the nasty things he was going to do to me while I tried to ram away his last 36%. When it became obvious it wasn't going to happen quickly, I just closed up shop and headed on to the station. He followed me to the station to trash talk a little more before turning tail and running away and I haven't seen him since.

Anyway, the point is that if the interdictor has point defense, mines mines mines could possibly not result in a win, or at least in this case a non-victory.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Yolomon Wayne posted:

gently caress Deep Space clan and their "oh wait, actually we dont want these slaves in Ceos, bring them 420ly into the bubble instead" missions.
Yeah I love that too. Hey smuggle these cigars from Tampa to Miami for $10,000 (gets to Miami) Oh I'm sorry, we meant to say Luxembourg. The first time they said this I immediately role-played and said out loud "Oh I'm sorry I didn't say I'd deliver them to Sothis, I said I'd take them to Sothis (vents them into Sothis by the star while closing with) mothah fuckaaaaaaaa!" They have to realize that I'm not the kind of space taxicab can be bossed around because I have moral reservations about dumping 12 tons of people into the sun.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Yolomon Wayne posted:

How great is great, regarding jumprange?
Fully stripped for exploration, the Anaconda can do a little over 39ly with 32T of fuel. With rank 5 FSD engineer upgrade, that's ~58.5ly per jump, with a 4 jump max fastest range (234ly). My Asp Explorer can do 49ly per jump 7x = 346ly with no stops. So sure, the anaconda can jump further per hop, but has to stop for gas almost twice as often so ends up with a 50% overall deficiency in range.

I have an Anaconda and I thought it was going to be me showing up for battle and just blowing up space mens mercilessly with all my giant guns as I laughed and drank scotch on the bridge and then set course to return home 300ly in 5 jumps. I haven't found a good use for it though. You won't want to do Sothis runs back to the bubble because it can take so long to fill your cargo hold flipping the mission board over and over, usually making it not as profitable per ton than with a smaller hold (and only about 30ly of max range at that load). I also feel like my Vulture is more nimble in combat and can take people out just as fast, although that may be because I haven't fully committed to making my Anaconda a slow lumbering warbeast. I only use it for mining now and I don't do much mining.

It does give you the ability to accurately judge mailslot sizes though. Is this slot regulation-sized? Because it felt a bit small coming in!

CapnBry fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Aug 28, 2016

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Mike the TV posted:

That's at 5000 units delivered.
Too bad I can't buy any Zirconium with all my millions of space bucks! I delivered 1800T over the weekend and got into the top 25% and said that was enough. 370 units per run, 5 runs, 6 interdictions, about an hour and a half total time. The best part about this CG was the number of ships trying to get in and out of the spaceport at once. A line of anacondas and clippers fighting to see who can miss the mailslot the hardest first. Watching people try to dock is my favorite thing in the game.

I heard the LOCAL chatter that there was some sort of something going on, but nothing in-game appeared to back that up. Checked reddit and a bunch of people there were being trolled by other players in game offering obviously fake clues about a mysterious something going on. I didn't look into it any further. If they want to engage players by having special events happening, they really should do a better job of letting people know about it.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
Wtf happened? How did someone deliver like a million tons overnight?! I also just checked and I got pushed down to 50% :sadtrombone: Only 138M for an hour an a half work? I am going to go post on the forums about how I only want to play in solo because money isn't worth anything any more and I am starting my own space economy using space bitcoin.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

VR is why I keep playing this game. It feels like I'm literally sitting in the cockpit of my spaceship. Which has been a dream of mine since I was like 6 years old.
Completely agree with this. I have had a Vive from week 2 and E:D is almost the only thing I use it for. I've used TrackIR for playing FSX and how that feels revolutionary the first time you do it, VR is that feeling again except turned from 1 to 11. Headtracking seems like a good idea but you're turning your head but still have to keep your eyes on your monitor, which is helpful but does not at all feel like you're looking where your head is pointed. Coming in to land and I can look through my legs and see the landing pad lining up below my ship. Being in a dogfight and looking over and actually leaning forward to get a better view of the guy coming in over your shoulder. Ducking as you're going through the mailslot because it feels like you're going to scrape it. Coming out of supercruise and nearly splattering yourself across the side of a space station while spitting up your beer that you're drinking through a straw. That's simply amazing. I fire up another VR game about once every couple of weeks and those experiences can be cool too, but current titles have content an inch deep and an inch wide so they're not really calling me back the way seeing the scale of things in E:D feels. Now if we could just get the performance up so we don't have to play on low settings to keep 90fps!

This is probably a dumb question, but if I pick a side in the power struggle, does that make me show up as wanted to anyone else who has picked a side? Will NPCs in RES just open up on me like I have a single reinforced mounting plate in my inventory?

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Mouko posted:

There are also federation battlecruisers hovering around two of the sites... :tinfoil:
Wait a second. Are you telling me there are stellar bodies in this galaxy that aren't just "Annoyingly Overbumpy Sand Dune ft. random small rocks"? What is that thing you're on!

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

It takes ~7.5M in exploration data to go from no rank to rank 4, and another 7.5M to get from rank 4 to rank 5.
I was going to post this same thing. If you're just heading out honking and jumping and maybe scanning any "worlds" you come across, you're going to be disappointed to know you'll come back from a 5000ly journey with not even enough exploration data to get to rank 4. I did a honk and jump fastest run to 5000ly, then did about a 400ly economical lateral move, and sort of meandered back toward home until I started hitting systems where everything was explored by someone already. Checked out any interesting planets, gas giants with life, water worlds, earthlike worlds, might metal content worlds I couldn't properly identify from their sound. About 12-14 hours of playtime maybe? Expected to have data to spare, didn't even max out the engineer. Don't think I even made it to rank 4.

I think if you're planning to max out a few factions and engineers, you'll have plenty of time to think about that over the next month while you get that much data!

EDIT: The easy way to max out an engineer is to take any ship and put 2x class 2 mining lasers, 1x prospector, and enough to get 2 active collector limpets at once. Go to virtually any hazardous RES with nothing in your hold, mine the rocks. Your dudes will collect nothing but micromaterials and in an hour you've got enough to just press spacebar 3x 200 times to rank up from 0 to 5.
Rank 1-2: 3 builds
Rank 2-3: 12 builds
Rank 3-4: 50 builds
Rank 4-5: ~150 builds?

CapnBry fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Sep 1, 2016

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Jack the Lad posted:

A) What do I need to get 2 collector limpets active at once? Just 2 collector controllers?

B) Does it matter what I'm mining?

C) Is it being in a hazardous RES that means you get micromaterials rather than regular ore?

D) How likely am I to get blown up while doing this?
A) Any of the "3" sized collector limpet controllers will let you have two collectors out at once. You can also use 2x size "1" collector limpet controllers. Heck you can also use 1x size 1 controller but maybe a third to half of the asteroids there will me multiple micromaterials floating out at once and 2x limpets seems to be a good balance between waiting for collection and having one be idle too long. Why they hell do you go like a kilometer away when retrieving something, limpet?

B) Not at all. Fire a prospector into any asteroid, don't care about what it says the composition is, mine it dry. Prospector limpets increase the number of fragments you can mine by around 3x. Tons of mining ore fragments will come out, but your limpets will only pick up micromaterials for engineers if you don't have a refinery on board. Note: having a refinery but deactivating it does not work. Some asteroids have more micromaterial count in them than others, they say "Material count: high" but you'll spend all night looking if you just try to find those. The micromaterial loot is random with a high chance of common materials like carbon, nickel, sulphur, and down to a low chance of getting zirconium, cadmium, and tin. I think the type of ring matters (metallic, icy) but metallic rings seem to give me all the low level mats I need to power through all the engineer stuff.

C) I believe Hazardous RESes just means there are more "hits" per asteroid. More hits is higher chance of there being a micromaterial.

D) 0 chance. Make sure there is nothing in inventory other than limpets. Space pirates will kill you over a 100 credit reinforced mount, but don't give a fuuuuuck about you if you have limpets and nothing else. They'll scan you and move on. Because your limpets never pick up any inventory items, just micromaterials, they'll never even deploy hardpoints.

And yes it is pretty chill. If you have VR it is beautiful because you can just hold down the mining laser trigger and stare off at the wonders of space around you. I guess with just mouselook too, but monitor space looks like looking through a window at a picture of space, so I can see why people watch Netflix 90% of the time if they play on a monitor. Also thanks to whoever posted the link to Emancipator (band) I didn't realize how well trance (or is this trip hop? or ambient?) worked with space. Anyone got any good downtempo music for space? I am old so all my frames of reference involve Portishead.

CapnBry fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Sep 2, 2016

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

frank.club posted:

Totally. Also, how does a docking computer take up a ton of cargo space
Professor Frink was right. "I predict that within 100 years, docking computers will be twice as powerful, ten thousand times larger, and so expensive that only the 5 richest kings of Europe will own them."

Now that I have so much money (compared to the cost of most of the ships) and magic ship teleport is coming soon, I really do need to get one of every ship to see what they look like inside. I wished the Hauler's A/C vents worked in real life, it is hot in my house :( Or maybe it is so hot because they do work, but people only have heaters in space. Space heaters. ... Space space heaters?

Also, why am I so special that I get a free sidewinder whenever I want, which I can use to pick up a TON of human slaves for 16,000 credits? I mean given the average person weighs about 80 kilos, being a slave is worth about 1,280 credits per person. Yet I can fly my spaceship into the sun, eject, a rescue team will come and save me and give me a free new space ship. In my cannon, slave is their hobby, they love it. They have to love it because anyone can make 1,280 credits and buy their freedom in like 2 minutes work.

CapnBry fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Sep 2, 2016

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Mailer posted:

I'm sure someone here can come up with the handwave reason but mechanically it just takes more fuel to travel while jumping. It's a video game tradeoff thing between worrying about scooping stars and taking forever to get where you're going. As long as you keep an eye on the star types and have a scoop then you'll always be good with the fastest route.
The FSD takes an exponential amount of fuel based on the distance you're jumping:
fuel = efficiency * (distance * mass/optimal_mass) ^ drive_class_exponent

Efficiency is the A, B, C, D, E rating and drive class is 1 2 3 4 etc. The exponents start at 2 for a size-1 FSD, and go up to 2.9 for a size-8 FSD (linearly). So going half your max range doesn't take half the fuel, it takes around 1/5th of the fuel. Fastest draws a straight line between your start and destination and then finds the longest jump in side your range at each point between the two, with the exception of the last two jumps (which it tries to split evenly). Economical takes the closest next jump that decreases the amount of distance you have remaining. Obviously the economical route is like 10 times longer than the fastest.

In between the two, you can select fastest, then set the "Cargo Mass" slider. This reduces your max jump distance based on the amount of cargo you select. For me, my jump range is 49ly but if I set my cargo to 108T, it drops to 38ly so every jump will be less than 38ly, despite the fat I can do 49ly. Reducing my jump range like this means I'll travel 75% of the distance per jump but consume 50% of the fuel, effectively doubling my jump range at the cost of it taking 1/3rd longer. I used to do this but now I just have a giant fuel scoop so I can stay topped off just by skimming the star while my FSD is recharging.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

MadJackMcJack posted:

Since I'm now Space Nouveau Riche, I figure I should indulge in some space madness, plus I want to unlock some engineers. Which is the better explorer, the Asp or the Diamondback? And any recommendations for outfitting beyond the usual "get best power/FSD/scanners and don't strip out the shields"?
I think they're both close enough that it doesn't make much difference. This is My Exploration Asp. I don't have a vehicle hanger because I've never seen a space rock worth landing on just to get a screenshot. Also fitting a better class fuel scoop is great if you can afford it, because when you get back you can always just sell it back. Note you can drop to a 3A power plant and 2A power distributor (at which point it will do 50.57ly/jump with a rank 5 engineer upgrade, or over 55ly on an empty tank), but I swap this ship out to do missions and cargo stuff so I keep what I normally use (which are engineered).

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

The reason you bring an SRV along is so you can get more AFMU ammo. You can restock with basic materials found on just about any planet.
Ah well that makes a lot more sense to me. Despite weighing nothing, I never take an AMFU with me on my short (10h) exploration trips because I can't be assed to go find the size I want. Where is my magic teleporting module storage bin? This game is hard, guys :effort:

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Schindler's Fist posted:

https://eddb.io mang. Do a station search. Put the system you are in into 'Reference System'. Put the module(s) you are looking for into 'Station Sells Modules', and click Find Stations.
You get a list of stations with the goods, in order of distance from your position. It's not 100% that it'll be in stock, but one of the first few will probably have it.
I'll give it a try. I had been using http://ed-td.space/en/30/Find+Outfitting but it seemed like 75% of the time, the module wouldn't be there when I flew to the station so I just gave up on it. Started using the "Find a high tech system with a largeish population" method and that was pretty hit or miss. They'd have tons of modules but often lacked what I specifically wanted

"Warning: The module presence is not guaranteed." says eddb. That's a great way to build a game. Yeah I know it takes 5 minutes to go to another station, land, go into the hangar, look for the module, see it isn't there and then pick another station and launch, but isn't it IMMERSIVE you can't just ask the wrench jockey working in the outfitting station "Hey do you know where I could find a 4D distributor nearby? Or do you sometimes carry them?".

It is fun to try to look up the information you need to play this game because you can see how it has massively changed in the past year and a half. Can you imagine just doing Federation/Imperial missions without having any idea if there's any sort of rank progression (there was no progress bar)?" What a great UI it was to have every module in one giant long list at the outfitter at one point! What was this game like before you could take a module out of your ship and store it somewhere? Oh we don't have that yet. 200 billion star systems with a trillion planets we can land on, but not one has a shed I can put a gun in. If I could build a self storage facility on a barren atmosphere-less planet, I would be a space billionaire!

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Dabir posted:

Besides, getting hit stops shield regen, so bi-weaves are just class C shields while you're being shot at.
I don't think that's true at all (EDIT: Unless you're talking about broken shield?). Shields that are up do regenerate while being shot, shields regenerate continuously. A regular shield regenerates at 1.2/sec versus a bi-weave regenerates at 1.8/sec.

So given the same amount of incoming damage the bi-weaves last longer, because they are adding back more every second than regular shields do. Granted, if you're taking like 30 damage a second it doesn't mean poo poo because it isn't even going to get you an extra second with a 500 point shield (17.36 vs 17.73s). But if you're taking like 5 damage a second (say 2x 30 damage hits every 12 seconds) there is a significant difference in effective shield strength (131.58s vs 156.25s).

Comparing Vulture shields: 5A Shield Generator = 387, 5C Bi-Weave Shields Generator = 315.
2 DPS = 5A lasts 483.8s, bi-weave lasts 1575s
4 DPS = 5A lasts 138.2s, bi-weave 143.2s
5 DPS = 5A lasts 101.8s, bi-weave lasts 98.4s
30 DPS = 5A lasts 13.4s, bi-weave lasts 11.2s

So if you can manage to take 4 damage per second or less on this ship, bi-weaves are stronger. If you're getting hammered at 30 DPS continuously you're going to lose shields a full 2.2s (20%) earlier with bi-weave.

CapnBry fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Sep 6, 2016

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

They also want a RNG your ship was damaged/destroyed in transit.
The joke is on the NPC delivering my ship, because when I see him come out of supercruise in sight of the station, I am going to send him a message letting him know I will free his Imperial Slave family and give him 100,000 credits if he can just land in (red)0h 00m(/red). Except good luck landing at this outpost in time because I am sitting on the only Medium landing pad. That's what you get for running ship delivery on OPEN PLAY, rear end in a top hat.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

timn posted:

When my ship gets blown up I wish I would have to actually submit an insurance claim to the Pilot's Federation and roleplay explaining the incident to an insurance agent over the phone with one of Frontier's community managers.
"You know how on some of the outposts there are like 4 fuel balls rafted together? Well it seemed big enough for me to fit through and I was right about that much, the cockpit seemed to have no problems fitting between them. Turns out the rest of my ship that I forget about because I never really get to see it is MUCH larger than I remember and I got myself wedged in there pretty good. I was getting not a speck of movement with any direction of thrusters, boost or flight assist, so as a last ditch effort I deployed my landing gear. The extra dimension seemed to have caused some sort of "anomaly field" in which I started to vibrate at a high frequency which drained my shields and destroyed my ship before I could get the gear back in. It was the other driver's fault though so my rates should not increase."*

*true story

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Mouko posted:

Can you post the scripting sequence for this? It would be seriously useful.
I use autohotkey. Run this script and hit F1 while the mission screen is open to switch to the next mode. The amount of time it takes to load into the game is ~*~WILDLY RANDOM~*~ so I've got a 15 second delay, which gets me there 90%+ of the time. Press F2 will open the mission board if you're just sitting at the Station Services / Return to Surface / Launch nothing position. This assumes your UI navigation is WASD with SPACE as the select key. Not sure if this is the standard mapping? F3 to stop the script (and reload it) if it is going haywire on you.
code:
#NoEnv
#Persistent
#UseHook
#Warn  ; Enable warnings to assist with detecting common errors.
#SingleInstance force
SetKeyDelay, 50, 40
#IfWinActive, Elite - Dangerous (CLIENT)
key = 0 ; Set Key to 0 for initial run

F2::
    GoSub, OpenMissionBoard
Return

F3::
    Reload
Return

F1::
    GoSub, ExitToMainMenu
    key++ ; Add 1 to value "key" each cycle
    if key = 1
    {
        GoSub, OpenPlayMode 
    }
    else if key = 2
    { 
        GoSub, GroupPlayMode 
    } 
    else if key = 3
    {
        GoSub, SoloPlayMode
    }
    Sleep, 15000
    GoSub, OpenMissionBoard
return

ExitToMainMenu:
    Send, {Escape}
    Sleep, 1000
    Send, ww{Space}
    Sleep, 800
    Send, d{Space}
    Sleep, 4000
return

OpenMissionBoard:
    Send, {Space}
    Sleep, 5000
    Send, sss
    Send, {Space}
return

OpenPlayMode:
    Send, s{Space}
    Sleep, 1000
    Send, {Space}
return

GroupPlayMode:
    Send, s{Space}
    Sleep, 1000
    Send, s{Space}
    Sleep, 1000
    Send, {Space}
return

SoloPlayMode:
    Send, s{Space}
    Sleep, 1000
    Send, ss{Space}
    key = 0
return
On another front, I got 4x Modular Terminals for a mission reward and I don't need them because I've already unlocked Marco Uslesso. I think I can just discard (Abandon) them in an instance with another player and they can scoop them up right? Does anyone want them? I am in Wyrd but I can fly 100ly to somewheres if you need.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
So what ever happened with the "Give me drugs for the secret" guy and the "Give me brandy for the secret" guy? Where did they reveal their secret? Do they post on the forums? Is it sent in game somewhere? Was it sent only to a single person in a direct message? Am I supposed to find it on page 53 line 7 word 3 of my game manual? Why do they make a community event "Hey we're all on this awesome fun search for clues and we need the community to all pitch in to progress the story!" and then when the goal is reached there is just silence. It is like getting a quest in a traditional RPG and when you come back with 20x kobold ears off of 97x kobolds, the quest-giver takes your items and then just stands there with as blank a stare as if nothing preceded this moment.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

LCL-Dead posted:

They never revealed the secret, actually, because the "secret" was the crashed alien space ship and once it was found :frontear: basically shrugged and said "gently caress it" and let the players run with it, forgetting to actually deliver the CG secrets. There was a thread on it in the brown sea where a guy was basically complaining that they should have followed through regardless, despite the fact that players figured out the area and found the ship via zerg rush before the final coordinates were released via CG.
Yeah that doesn't make any sense. Maybe they forget that some people mainly just play the game and don't spend all their time hovering around the 30 official subforums. I have been to the official forums like 3 times and every time I am overwhelmed by the millions of threads about people happy about something or unhappy about something with no actual organization despite all the attempted over-compartmentalization they try to set up.

I just figure if there's something important you guys will tell me.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Chrysophylax posted:

After you get tired of that, have your combat anaconda delivered to you in seconds (even though it took 12 hours of play time to get there with 50 LY jump range). Murder all of the explorers in your insta-delivered death machine.
Wait... people play in Open Play? why? Do they like sitting outside the outpost Medium docking pad for 45 minutes while some guy AFKs in the hangar? Is it exciting to be blown to smithereens trying to come into station after a 20kly trip? Are RES boring unless you have to beat 5 other players to getting a hit in on the only spawned ship? Playing in Open Play brings annoyances, griefers, and spawn competition but on the plus side, sometimes the filled squares you see on the scanner are not filled! I play in open as often as I can because watching people try to dock is hilarious, but if I am doing anything productive it is on Solo Play because I don't want to wait for landing pads or get killed in 3 seconds with 2 hour's worth of cargo I spent mission board scumming to get.

In other news, hey guys, No Man's Sky is already 75% off! :v:

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
Does the rank of missions affect how much it counts toward the naval rank? It appears it does not and that doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Get a Harmless mission to kill one Harmless dude, get 1/500th of a naval rank. Get an Elite mission to kill 60 Elite naval dudes, get 1/500th of a rank. Same think with your reputation with the subfaction, what is the motivation get any rep with any local factions? So they'll give you harder missions to get the same naval rank advancement? Oh because they give me 90k credits for doing them instead of 20k? What a joke!

(Long rang trading missions aside of course)

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Morter posted:

I read something about downloading a custom profile for the HOTAS to make it really good with E:D. How does that work? I've never messed with anything besides a plug-n-play gamepad so please explain it to me like i'm a dumb babby thanks :kiddo:
You download a zip with the profile in a .binds file in it and then you put that .binds file in C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Local\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Bindings\ like magic next time you log into the game there will be a preset in the Options -> Controls and you select it and it changes all your keys to match the binds file.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Sky Shadowing posted:

HOTAS X is great, I don't know why I would need a more advanced HOTAS. With using a button as a shift button I have more than enough buttons to do everything I want.
The HOTAS X is a supreme bargain. I got one from Amazon Warehouse Deals for $30 delivered same day. It does the job without having to spend too much. I have two shift buttons, the stripey button on the stick and the low thumb button on the throttle. Everyone VRs with PVC right?

And because I have to complain about something every time I post. I went to Sol to see what our solar system looks like and was pretty disappointed to see that Moon looked WAY too small from Earth. Moon 2,159 miles across, and it is 238,900 miles away from Earf (roughly). That means it should be 0.516 degrees wide but it is a speck the size of Polaris when viewed from Earth. That makes me think that everything I see in this simulation is not at all like it would look in real life and if this owning-a-spaceship simulator doesn't even simulate what things would look like correctly, what is the point!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

orcane posted:

So I'm sitting on 16 modular terminals and I know I can't store them, but I'm sure as hell not gonna carry them around and I obviously can't use them. Is there a way to trade them to someone who can use them? Also, who wants 16 modular terminals before I vendor them for the sweet price of 160 credits each?
I also have 4 I have been carrying around all morning if someone is looking for more.

• Locked thread