Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Finally, a word that rhymes with orange! :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
So I'm sitting on 16 modular terminals and I know I can't store them, but I'm sure as hell not gonna carry them around and I obviously can't use them. Is there a way to trade them to someone who can use them? Also, who wants 16 modular terminals before I vendor them for the sweet price of 160 credits each?

orcane fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Sep 17, 2016

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

orcane posted:

So I'm sitting on 16 modular terminals and I know I can't store them, but I'm sure as hell not gonna carry them around and I obviously can't use them. Is there a way to trade them to someone who can use them? Also, who wants 16 modular terminals before I vendor them for the sweet price of 160 credits each?
I also have 4 I have been carrying around all morning if someone is looking for more.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Morter posted:

Finally, a word that rhymes with orange! :woop:

There's two! (second one is a proper noun though)

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Anyone have any experience with mulricannon turrets on fat ships?

My cutter runs 2xmedium and 2xlarge beamturrets which makes quick work of any shield but obviously lacks punch against hull.
Ive little to no chance to get them noseways, so im playing with the idea of changing the 2xmedium on the engines for 2x med multi overcharge corrosive.

Will they actually hit anything, or will i just be wasting time and resources?

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

Yolomon Wayne posted:

(Edit: removed unrelated jabbering about gimbals)

Edit: MC turrets were OK on a Python when I tried them a while ago. Are they exponentially slower as they are on larger hardpoints, e.g Huge?

legooolas fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Sep 18, 2016

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Yolomon Wayne posted:

My cutter runs 2xmedium and 2xlarge beamturrets which makes quick work of any shield but obviously lacks punch against hull.
Ive little to no chance to get them noseways, so im playing with the idea of changing the 2xmedium on the engines for 2x med multi overcharge corrosive.

I've run turreted cannons and MCs on a cutter and its' been totally fine.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Yolomon Wayne posted:

2x med multi overcharge corrosive.
Last I heard corrosive doesn't stack so you only want one weapon with it. It applies the 25% damage buff and the others just reap the benefit. I have an anaconda with 2x Large Thermal Muticannons and 2x Medium Multicannons, one thermal one corrosive, all of them gambled. NPCs get pretty wrecked by them but I can't say how they'd be against players.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

quote:

I would like to see [rotational correction] removed and have it enabled as a software upgrade for pilots who cant dock.
Just looking up things, finding broken players of spaceship games in threads about even the smallest QoL feature :stare:

orcane fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Sep 18, 2016

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

So I put a beam + multicannon on my Vulture but I am finding that with the new ship ai and my rustiness, enemies are pretty good at staying out of my line of fire.

Since the multicannon spins up pretty slow that means I often manage to get only a few shots on target unless it's against slow big ships where a cannon or frag would be better anyway due to enormous damage ; the only advantage I can see to the multicannon is its giant ammo capacity

How do I deal with the spin up time besides getting good? Just renounce the multi and go with a frag or cannon?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

CapnBry posted:

Last I heard corrosive doesn't stack so you only want one weapon with it. It applies the 25% damage buff and the others just reap the benefit. I have an anaconda with 2x Large Thermal Muticannons and 2x Medium Multicannons, one thermal one corrosive, all of them gambled. NPCs get pretty wrecked by them but I can't say how they'd be against players.

Sounds good to me, thanks. Ill give it a try.
2med and 2 large beams suck my capacitor dry too fast, and i guess 2 large beams will do for shields and small crafts.

As long as theyre wrecking faces in high res im ok, wouldnt go up against players in the current silent ramming meta, especially not with 30millions rebuy.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

TorakFade posted:

So I put a beam + multicannon on my Vulture but I am finding that with the new ship ai and my rustiness, enemies are pretty good at staying out of my line of fire.

Since the multicannon spins up pretty slow that means I often manage to get only a few shots on target unless it's against slow big ships where a cannon or frag would be better anyway due to enormous damage ; the only advantage I can see to the multicannon is its giant ammo capacity

How do I deal with the spin up time besides getting good? Just renounce the multi and go with a frag or cannon?

You need to spin up in anticipation, get a feel for it.
Also you can fire the multi from more than point blank distance.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
So I thought to myself "How can I waste the precious moments of my life this weekend?" and came up with

Loadout here if anyone wants to call me a big dummy. Now I just need to spend forever upgrading it.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

TorakFade posted:

Yeah you can't wait until you have the bad guy in your sights then pull the trigger. When he onto your screen you should pull the trigger, then if it is going to take an extra second to get him lined up you can feather the trigger so the guns stay in an intermediate state. It doesn't seem you can keep them right on the edge of firing like you can in FPS games, but you can drastically reduce the spinup time this way. Also, anticipation is key. What really really helps is to play in VR because you track the guy coming into view with your head and somehow that makes it easier for my brain to know when to pull the trigger so the guns will start going off right as they line up (and fire the 2 remaining rounds before reloading and the guy is gone of course!). When playing on the monitor I always feel surprised when the guy shows up on the screen and it takes an extra second before my brain can lock on and predict his motion. If you're playing Mouse+Keyboard maybe this sort of thing can be done with mouselook.

Mailer posted:

So I thought to myself "How can I waste the precious moments of my life this weekend?" and came up with

Argh. I spent 6 hours yesterday going from Outsider to Baron. Want to crush my soul by telling me you spent all day yesterday going from Marquis to Duke?

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

When are the atmospheric landings coming again?

That planet must be hell.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Mailer posted:

Loadout here if anyone wants to call me a big dummy. Now I just need to spend forever upgrading it.

You did buy it with discount, right?
Stations with ship discount also give discount to modules iirc, and both lower your insurance cost.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

CapnBry posted:

Argh. I spent 6 hours yesterday going from Outsider to Baron. Want to crush my soul by telling me you spent all day yesterday going from Marquis to Duke?

I had Knight from farming cash early on, so Saturday was getting about 80% into Earl and playing on/off on Sunday was the rest. Highlights include 40 minutes flipping for the final faction change quest and the PTSD I now have from sitting through 30 seconds of loading when accepting each mission.

Yolomon Wayne posted:

You did buy it with discount, right?

Absolutely. Never buy in non-LYR systems. In the end it was the only way I could have afforded the ship with all the bri... er, "donations" to the loving Ahaut Front.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Mailer posted:

I had Knight from farming cash early on, so Saturday was getting about 80% into Earl and playing on/off on Sunday was the rest. Highlights include 40 minutes flipping for the final faction change quest and the PTSD I now have from sitting through 30 seconds of loading when accepting each mission.

Wanna talk about mission flipping?
Im 5 hours in trying to get embedded modified firmware (1 single piece) while watching tv.
Yes i know theres buggy missions but i wouldnt care if the guy who invented them would die in a fire.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I simply can't get good cargo missions in Sothis/Ceos tonight, every refresh is like 6 mining missions, 2 data deliveries and one awful eg. 88 tons for 8 million delivery or a bunch of war support smuggling or "kill enemy ships" missions :argh:

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

orcane posted:

I simply can't get good cargo missions in Sothis/Ceos tonight, every refresh is like 6 mining missions, 2 data deliveries and one awful eg. 88 tons for 8 million delivery or a bunch of war support smuggling or "kill enemy ships" missions :argh:

I had that on Friday there too. Is it because they are at war and so the missions are skewed to that rather than shipping turds for them?

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Entering the bubble after a month away and I'm suddenly reminded of a nightmare I had a week ago where I was doing this and got interdicted and killed before I sold my data

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

frank.club posted:

Entering the bubble after a month away and I'm suddenly reminded of a nightmare I had a week ago where I was doing this and got interdicted and killed before I sold my data

I never play without an open task manager.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I never play without an open task manager.

Windows ten decided to tell me elite.exe was taking up too much memory or whatever right as I was flying into Farseer lmao

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I don't get how dormant bounties work. I've been living out of Bhutas for a while, doing Kebes sentry skimmer missions. Today I got greedy because that sweet sweet 8A power plant for my Anaconda was just a few attacks against Bhutas Group away, so I did the missions. Logically I now have a 16k bounty in Bhutas for attacking a base. I fly a poo poo ship back towards Bhutas, cops scan me outside of Feynman station, kill me. Now I have a dormant bounty. Okay, The Internet™ says I can now pay off that bounty. But I go back in my poo poo ship, get shot again and the dormant bounty is reset for 7 days.

Is there any way to clear it at all? Do I just have to avoid Bhutas for a week? I dropped from Allied to 20% Cordial with Bhutas Group after the attack missions I did if that makes any difference. Kebes skimmer missions are my cash cow. I'd like to be back there sooner than later.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

If you're killed with an unclaimed bounty it goes dormant. Dormant bounties are invisible except to authority ships of that faction. If they scan you it reactivates the bounty. Or if you commit a crime against that faction again. If you want it to go away it needs to get claimed (usually by a player with a KWS) or let it tick down until it goes away.

You can pay off fines, but not bounties (active or dormant). Unpaid fines will turn into bounties.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Natsuumi posted:

If you're killed with an unclaimed bounty it goes dormant. Dormant bounties are invisible except to authority ships of that faction. If they scan you it reactivates the bounty. Or if you commit a crime against that faction again. If you want it to go away it needs to get claimed (usually by a player with a KWS) or let it tick down until it goes away.

You can pay off fines, but not bounties (active or dormant). Unpaid fines will turn into bounties.

So if I run into an extraction site and get killed it will clear?

Edit: killed by an NPC

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
You cannot pay off or claim a bounty on yourself. The only way to avoid getting shot at by the space cops is to not be scanned while you have a dormant bounty. Otherwise you need to avoid that section of space for 7 days so that dormant bounty becomes a fine.

People used to avoid bounties by buying a sidewinder and getting themselves blown up by spacecops. It was heavily abused. It's why you can't have it happen. Get the hell out of the system as fast as possible. Even by going in silent running just so you can jump out of it.

The only way to pay it off might be when 2.2 launches and having the shady contact. I guess the shady contact will instead let you claim bounties from anywhere in the galaxy instead of just paying your way out of crime like Space Billionaires would.

IAmTheRad fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Sep 19, 2016

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Ferg posted:

So if I run into an extraction site and get killed it will clear?

Edit: killed by an NPC

RES pirates are scanning for cargo, not bounties. You'd want to go to a nav beacon. NPC bounty hunters scanning and destroying you may remove the bounty completely. Get into a poo poo sidewinder and try it.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I cannot loving believe there isn't a sell all button

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

RabidWeasel posted:

There's two! (second one is a proper noun though)

Door hinge?

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Natsuumi posted:

RES pirates are scanning for cargo, not bounties. You'd want to go to a nav beacon. NPC bounty hunters scanning and destroying you may remove the bounty completely. Get into a poo poo sidewinder and try it.

Boom. Coincidentally I actually ran into a friend in that nav beacon. He got a 13k bounty on me, now I'm sitting in Feynman. Thanks!

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

frank.club posted:

Windows ten decided to tell me elite.exe was taking up too much memory or whatever right as I was flying into Farseer lmao

We've detected you just jumped into a system and are heading straight into a sun. Microsoft felt that this was the best time to tell you that Skype, an application not even running, has auto updated and launched itself and would you like to read about new features?

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
A friend of mine got killed after his first bounty hunting run thanks to that. He was still in his little dinky sidewinder, we'd made about half a mil worth of money, he was coming in to dock.. and just as he was trying to settle to the pad, Windows Update popped up that hey, it needs to restart his computer.

He clicks 'later'.
Turns out he had left-click as his fire button.
Turns out that he also had 'firing deploys hardpoints' on.
When he clicked the Windows Update button, switching back to Elite made Windows think he was still holding the button down.

His Sidey's dinky little pulse lasers popped up and opened fire while he was trying to stop it. A moment later, the station naturally returned fire and reduced him to space dust.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

quote:

The Transactions display tab (left HUD) will display a list of all active bounties incurred across all jurisdictions. Since the Powerplay update, commanders can no longer pay off their bounties but instead must wait for them to expire. Once the bounty has expired it will become dormant. A dormant bounty will not be displayed to other players or jurisdictions.[1] A dormant bounty can be reactivated if the player is scanned by an NPC from the jurisdiction that issued the dormant bounty, or if the player commits a further crime in the jurisdiction that issued the dormant bounty. If the dormant bounty is detected in either of these ways within seven days it will become an active bounty again with a new seven day timer. If a dormant bounty is not detected within seven days then it is removed and becomes a legacy fine.

If, however, your ship is destroyed before the bounty becomes dormant then the following happens: If another ship detects the bounty and destroys you then the bounty is claimed and removed. If your ship is destroyed but the bounty is not detected, then the bounty becomes dormant (as above) immediately and can only be detected by authority scans by agents of the jurisdiction in which the bounty was gained.

Since dying is effectively an instant way to remove a bounty, in a lot of situations it becomes more efficient to just buy a cheap Sidewinder and get killed to remove the bounty. To do this:

Buy a new Sidewinder (storing your current ship at the station you're at).
Let another Player or NPC kill you (you don't have to be killed by another CMDR to get your bounty removed, if an NPC scans and kills you the bounty will be removed too).
Respawn in the insured Sidewinder at the station you were at (with bounty now removed), NOT the starting location free sidewinder.
Retrieve your old ship.
Sell the Sidewinder.

For removing high bounties this method is actually more cost efficient than the now non-functional repaying of whole bounty sum (since it just sets you back the re-sale loss of a Sidewinder), and it's much faster than waiting for 7 days.

tldr: hop in a sidewinder, get scanned by the man, endure absolution by fire to become law abiding citizen again.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Cutter build is slowly comming together.

Weapons setup is now
2x Lightweight large Beam turrets with Thermal Vent (in fire group 1, back mounts)
2x Overcharged medium multicannon turrets with Corrosive (fire group 2, wing mounts)
2x Longrange medium beam turrets with Healing (fire groups 1 + 3, chin mount)
1x Overcharged huge gimballed multicannon with Corrosive (fire groups 2,3)

Turret mode is "Target only" since i found out that turrets stop shooting when you switch into a fire group theyre not in. This helps not-melting my ship down when the beams get chaffed and produce extra heat from the vent-experimental.
Usual approach is 1-1-4 for maximum damage until he turns. The 2x class 3 beams usually gently caress every shield thats not an Elite NPC, in which case i might add the heal-beams to get them down although i try to avoid the extra heat.

As soon as shields are down i switch to cannon turrets and pip to 4-1-1 which is enough for cannons to fire until reload. If i manage to get him in front (usually have to 1-4-1 for that, sometimes 2-2-2 is enough) i add fire with the class 4 which basically drops everything thats not a federal line brick.

When flying with friends the heal-turrets come in handy as i had severe problems lining up with a vulture for heals with gimballs.
The corrosive on all multicannons further supports damage done by wingmen.

Next order of business is pimping the distributor to rank 5 recharge.
I still dont know if i really want to get heavy hull stuff since its supposed to be a shield tank. A-shields are still a fuckton cheaper than military grade alloys and the size 8 shield cell is practically a 75% heal to my current bi-weaves. I will most likely not be arsed to do Aisling again for prismatics though. gently caress a 3-week real time gate, thats seriously one of the most retarded concepts ever.

My biggest "wtf" moment was dirty drives 5.
Its mindblowingly amazing on every single ship ive put it on so far.
Seriously, get DD5.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Did the whole thing with Marco "gently caress Marco Qwent" Qwent. I had some modular terminals left over so I figured screw it, I'll blow them on some L2 dirty drives for the conda before it gets shelved. Get the thruster bug, self destruct to the tune of 7.5m. I'm now temporarily flying without insurance. How does that bug even still exist. Definitely making sure I've got a few rounds of insurance in the bank before modding the Cutter.

Edit: Happened again too. Thrusters fine in the hangar, disabled at launch. Turns out you need to hold down your upward vertical thrusters for like ten seconds or something and poo poo magically comes back to life.

Edit2: Holy dickcocks they nerfed Ceos into the ground. Should have checked that before I bought a shiny new iShip. :/

Mailer fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Sep 19, 2016

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Mailer posted:

Did the whole thing with Marco "gently caress Marco Qwent" Qwent. I had some modular terminals left over so I figured screw it, I'll blow them on some L2 dirty drives for the conda before it gets shelved. Get the thruster bug, self destruct to the tune of 7.5m. I'm now temporarily flying without insurance. How does that bug even still exist. Definitely making sure I've got a few rounds of insurance in the bank before modding the Cutter.

Ive had that a few times, but it went away by flipping instance.

e: Also never shelve the conda. Vast portions of my garage has been engineered by anaconda-ing the parts to engineers and back due to 49.5ly jumprange (want to beak 50 goddammit). The only things i couldnt conda were the size 8 parts on my cutter and ill wait for ship transfer to do those lvl 3 drives.

Yolomon Wayne fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Sep 19, 2016

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Mailer posted:

Edit: Happened again too. Thrusters fine in the hangar, disabled at launch. Turns out you need to hold down your upward vertical thrusters for like ten seconds or something and poo poo magically comes back to life.

Edit2: Holy dickcocks they nerfed Ceos into the ground. Should have checked that before I bought a shiny new iShip. :/

That's weird, isn't it normal to have your thrusters shut down when landing on a planet? I never had that not happen, they're always down and start up if you hold down your vertical thruster button.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Reading that thread, the issue seems to be that they shut off and can't be brought back online by normal means. Instead, people have to jump instances/self destruct/restart the game in vanilla mode then logging back into Horizons, and it's related to engineering bases, so I'm assuming landing pads only.

Mailer posted:

[...]

What's wrong with Ceos?

E: Considering the "issues" I wrote about yesterday, I generally had better missions from the Sothis station than Ceos the last few days, I think it's just mission board RNG and possibly the BGS (I think some factions are out of boom cycles atm? and some are perpetually at war with each other). Still managed to get 250k/ton (average) hauls in the end last night, after trying for a while and only getting about 150k/ton together first.

orcane fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Sep 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Libluini posted:

That's weird, isn't it normal to have your thrusters shut down when landing on a planet? I never had that not happen, they're always down and start up if you hold down your vertical thruster button.

Until I suicided thrusters didn't work. I mean I always start with vertical thrusters when taking off anyway but usually I move when I hit them. I'd just come back from another planet and in all the engie/farming planets I've been to it's never happened. Kinda sucks that I lost a hold full of some nice stored engineer mats.

orcane posted:

What's wrong with Ceos?

It (and Sothis, just checked) currently have a massively reduced (like reset three times just to see one) number of long haul delivery missions. I'm cycling mission boards like mad and altering my macro to do it better, but yeah... ain't great.

• Locked thread