Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Dr. Tough posted:

So I got this game on Steam sale. Right now I'm just sort of wandering around to random star systems around the starting point. I did the space trucker thing and sold some water purifiers to an agricultural station. Is there somewhere I should be heading? Or should I be hanging out around the starting area?

Basically I just started taking the bulletin board missions I could. One threw me out 10 or so jumps from my starting point and I forgot where I started from, and so we work from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

super fart shooter posted:

What do the import/export commodities listed on the system map station info panel mean? Do those just have particularly high/low prices? Like more than the usual price disparities for the different economy types?

In addition can anyone explain what buying trade data from a system for 100cr means? It's just the colored arrow lines that show up on the map, right? I've been trying to make cash by picking up a commodity in high supply that's exported to a nearby system when I can't find a bulletin board mission but the profit margin is usually disgustingly low.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

tooterfish posted:

Yeah, it fills in your map. Unless you've recently visited a system or bought trade data, the coloured lines won't be even remotely accurate.

Also in a surprisingly well hidden feature, you can check import/export prices of goods in the systems you have trade data on from the commodities market screen. Try clicking the "galactic average" tab.

See, I actually knew this, but it shows up regardless of whether or not I buy trade data, so I was really confused.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I am disappointed that I miraculously scored a single hit on an npc with like a 25k bounty being killed by police plus 20k in vouchers immediately letting me leapfrog from my sidewinder to a viper only to find the stock viper comes with the same two flashlights equipped as my sidewinder did anyway.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

CQC looks fun. Can you make money doing it?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

What's a Robigo

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

So I was trying to build up this viper loadout: http://coriolis.io/outfit/viper/03D3D3D2D3D3D2C1b1b24240m0042592o-.AwRj4yyA.AwhMIyQRnI== but the power numbers don't match up with the in game power numbers. I don't even have the fuel scoop equipped and I'm at 7.99MW retracted and 10.33 deployed where the shipbuilder says I should be lower than that. I can't see what I'm doing wrong. Are the ship builder numbers out of date?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Cathair posted:

E: Just registered that you said you didn't have the fuel scoop installed; looking at the build again, with the fuel scoop off and the cargo hatch turned on it puts you at exactly 7.99/10.33, so that's definitely your issue.

You know, I actually did remember to turn off the cargo hatch, but since you can't open the modules panel from the outfitting screen it wasn't until after I wrote down the numbers. I'm dumb.

Another thing is the shield bank unpowers when I deploy hardpoints even with the priorities set, am I supposed to undeploy in emergencies when I need to recover shields?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

So here's the Cobra III I've found myself in: http://coriolis.io/outfit/cobra_mk_iii/04D4D4D3D3D3D4C1b1b2424000m485e2f2o2i01.AwRj4yKA.AwhMIyIRnYg=?bn=My%20Cobra

I put it together with the idea that some soothing exploration while I watch TV would be the ticket to a relaxing time but as it turns out the profit from exploration is digustingly small compared to the way I made money to put the ship together in the first place: hanging out in high intensity resource extraction places and waiting for some stupid wanted sidewinder to pay out a 200k bounty. How should I start upgrading the various pieces to be more effective at doing that?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Cool, cool. Apparently plasma accelerators fit in medium slots, are those worth it for PvE? Or are beams better?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

KakerMix posted:

PACs are strictly for taking on bigger targets. They can do some extreme damage if you can hit the right things but I'd say beams and pacs are for different purposes. Beams are for melting, pacs are for smashing. You'd be pressed for power on most ships if you try to run both beams and pacs at the same time although it can be done.

Cool. The PGS thread makes it sound like railguns and plasma accelerators are the cream of the crop when it comes to weaponry, just that the ammo count on the former makes it lousy for PvE hunting. It doesn't really mention anything about the latter besides "it's awesome, but has punishing heat levels" but it looks like from the video the travel time is slow as hell and not great for hunting.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Drake_263 posted:

TLDR:

Cookie Cutter Bounty Hunter: I'd recommend two C2 multicannons and a pair of C1 gimbaled burst or beam lasers, depending on your funding and power systems.
gently caress Your Clipper, Man: Same as above, but switch the multis for C2 cannons. Yes, they're difficult to aim with at any further than spitting range, but whatever gets a lovetap from dual C2s is going to feel it.
Screw Aiming Ahead With Multicannons: C2 burst or beam lasers (fixed), C1 gimbaled multicannons. Easier to aim with and less reliant on ammunition, though less effective against heavy armor.
I Could Aim, But With This Thing I Don't Have To: C2 gimbaled burst/beam lasers, C1 seeker missile launchers. You know how Eagles and other fast-moving ships are a pain in the rear end to pin down? Not anymore.

Also note that though your ammo counts can be limited on weapons that aren't multicannons, 1.5 adds the ability to synthetize ammunition on-site from recovered resources, thus making you less reliant on returning to base for a rearming.

This post is informative and useful, thanks!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Drake_263 posted:

I aim to please and entertain!

Also, if you're mainly interested in the mercenary life, I'd consider switching from the Cobra to a Diamondback Scout. The Cobra's a perfectly functional fighter ship, but it's really more of a multipurpose ship - the secondary weapons are positioned kind of awkwardly for a fighter and the wide flat pancake silhouette makes you an easy target from above/below.

Meanwhile, the DB-S has a neat tight convergence on its weapons (making it more flexible on the weapon loadouts you can handle) and turns a lot better than the Cobra while retaining most of the extensive frameshift range, and it has two more utility mounts to boot. The only thing the Cobra is superior on, really, is straightline-speed with the huge-rear end afterburner and cargo capacity. (The DB-S is also slightly cheaper to outfit in the long run, with a smaller set of life support and sensor modules).

Edit: actually looking at the stats, the DB-S has an identical fuel tank and frameshift drive to the Cobra while being a little bit lighter, with lower-class (And thus smaller, lighter) modules. It's not much of a difference but a combat-fit DBS can have a pretty impressive frameshift jump range for a fighter.

I was doing bounty hunting for now because it seems like the highest source of income available to me for the time investment, but at any concievable moment for no reason I might want to suddenly build a capitalist empire of hauling biowaste or give exploration another shot, so sticking with the Cobra sounds like a good plan for me. So long as I don't just spend the next 10 years playing CQC mode I'll probably end up hopping into a Vulture next.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Shine posted:

I'm digging the new black skin.

#AllShipsMatter

xiansi posted:

Got a pimped out trading Clipper (if I can ever be bothered trading again), but the upgraded Fer de Lance has become my new favourite ship.

I don't even mind it's still ugly from the outside, and the black paintjob helps with that.

Buffs are real - it has all the powah now, and handles like a Vulture.

A class 3 beam in the huge slot is enough to see off anything's shields, and you can burn it non-stop with an A-grade distributor. Still want a huge beam though.

4 x medium frag cannons with 100 ammo is hilarious, though you have to be right next to target to make them work. But anything kinetic x 4 is mad damage.

Now, where do I go to land the SRV to find some materials to increase the (still terrible) jump range?
Actually on this subject while I don't see myself ever playing this game enough to afford an anaconda, it may be possible at some point in the far off future I could afford a Python or a Fer De Lance. Which is considered the better ship?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Also the link to claim a steam key from the store just worked for me so anyone waiting on that still might want to give it a shot.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I'm keeping both installed just in case uninstalling one eats my saves

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Saves aren't stored locally, buddy.

I uninstalled the base game then installed Horizons. Even kept my keybindings!

Sorry what I meant to say was I am deleting Elite: Dangerous because now it is a waste of hard drive space, you must've misunderstood.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Speaking of all this planet landing stuff does it provide any new decent sorts of income or is the majority of my game going to still be flying around going pew pew in space?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

HiroProtagonist posted:

Same :hfive:

I also like the look of the Viper MkIV a lot, enough so that I dropped 30 mil on an absurd A-class combat-explorer build for it. It flies like a dream, better than the Vulture and deceptively less undergunned than a Vulture than it might seem on paper. I was still killing things just as fast with this build.

Probably can't solo a Conda wing or a pair of Pythons in it like I could with the Vulture, but hell, it's fun to fly. Nice jump range and generous fuel tank, AND it can run beams and not have to undeploy hardpoints to use shield cells! Downside: no KWS. I'm not missing it much.

Minus the stupidly expensive interdictor I guess I've found the next step up from my Cobra III

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Does doing the community event stuff have a good rate of return? Wondering if hauling snowballs 4 units at a time between stations will be faster than cashing in 200k bounties from space pirates.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Shine posted:

Add me in-game and let's go bounty hunting.

I work weird hours so I'm usually only around 10AM to 1ish EST, except on Mondays and Tuesdays which are my weekend. If that works out though I'll try to catch up with you in game.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Can you mess with HUD colors from in game or does it require .ini tweaking?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Can anyone tell me how dangerous it is logging out in the middle of space? Because horizons has been crashing a hell of a lot on me and I've scanned my drives, updated my graphics drivers, and checked all the necessaries to determine that elite: horizons hates my computer and I like to crash when I'm flying around in space a lot.

For the record I haven't crashed when playing this game once before the update so either something changed on my end or the game's end I can't tell which. Also the game likes to gift me 100% system ratings after a crash even after I rammed a Federation Clipper head on to take down its shields, leaving me at 21% hull, so silver linings I guess?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I'm running two C2 cannons and two C1 beams on my Cobra. It sounds like space shotguns are good now though, would I get more damage with them in place of the cannons?

Followup: how the heck do the damage numbers work in the coriolis ship builder? Is it Hull Damage (Shield Damage)?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I guess it's kind of a moot point because Elite has become dangerously unstable on my system. The latest crash I got left my system with a scrambled screen that persisted through several reboots leaving me terrified I fried my graphics card and/or computer as a whole. I'll probably be playing something else for a while.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Wow, I'm really bad at CQC

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Holy poo poo no guys, I am really, really bad at CQC.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Thanks for this. I really feel like I've dumped a ton of money into the ship for no tangible gain in effectiveness, which I'm guessing is probably true because I have really no idea what equipment is actually effective. As far as I can tell my 500,000 credit beam lasers are no better than the 100,000 pulse laser. I spent a million on a shield and I'm guessing I got the wrong size because it somehow seems worse than my old default one...

I've got this post bookmarked: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3740324#post449842383

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

What's the profit per hour on running that rares trading loop documented in a picture I can't currently find in a cobra 3 loaded up with cargo bays? I've found a high security system with a high intensity resource site (in addition to a hazardous resource site) located something like twelve lightseconds away from an outpost capable of both repair and rearm (it's so close you start to overshoot it at max throttle immediately after spooling up your FSD). It's basically the bounty hunter's holy grail.

However bringing all the downtimes to the bare minimum has led to me burning out pretty quick on the grind, especially considering if this is one of the highest profit to time ratios in the game I'm looking at a million spaceyears of time before I get that solid gold anaconda. Would running a rare trade loop, no matter how mind numbing, at least make me money obscenely fast?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Hellburger99 posted:

I was hoping to wait until I got a few more combat encounters under my belt before I struck out for DF territory, but I'm having trouble even finding jobs that I'm qualified for. I did manage to finally finish one that involved me running between three different stations to talk to people for ~92k, which seemed respectable. I'm slowing figuring out how to avoid being interdicted, but where do I get pirate/criminal bounties? The only one I've managed to complete was an NPC who I stumbled into. Is there any certain sector or station I can go to to find newbie pirates/bounties?

Oh, to clarify: While it's frustrating blowing up all the time and getting insta-fragged in combat, I'm slowing learning through trial and error. It's really nice that the starter ship is free.
If you pull a mission along the lines of "kill 3 pirates" the way you're supposed to go about it is to wander around in the listed system in supercruise. Regardless of the speed you're puttering around at, you'll occasionally pull up "unidentified signal"s in your targeting window. These are basically random encounters from a jrpg in your space sim game, where you might find pirates, or goodies, or police, or johnny fiveaces next to some balls on the edge of a cliff.

Now if you pull an assassination mission, especially one that says "wait for this time to find your target", you need a FSD interdictor, which is basically a big lasso you tie around your target in supercruise so you can duke it out. This is more complicated but I cannot fit the proof of how to accomplish it in the margin of this post.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I have a vulture now, with two bread-and-butter C3 gimbaled pulses. If I want to swap it to the much praised beam/frag loadout, I'm assuming gimbaled beam, fixed frag?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Zigmidge posted:

Speaking of this, what's the best way to earn cash once you're at the 50 million mark? I've got a 40 million dollar vulture kitted out for combat.

Please don't tell me it's more RES farming...

Jesus I've probably never had more than ~5million in my wallet at any one time and I'm already pretty burnt out.

My plan was now that I've actually gotten a ship I'm happy with to start actually doing bulletin board missions again just to see all the aspects of the game I haven't yet (Smuggling/Assassinations/Multistage missions).

Except my Vulture doesn't have a cargo bay.

I might just end up playing CQC deathmatch until my butt falls out.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I'll fart around and try a couple of surface missions (just to see how they work) and then take the thread's advice and sell that stuff and move on. Some NPC interdicted me (or whatever) and I somehow accidentally escaped him without even knowing how. What's the best course of action when that happens again?

Apparently the best method when being interdicted is to immediately throttle to zero. Upon submitting to the interdiction, you get a really short cooldown on pulling up your FSD compared to losing the interdiction minigame (something like 60 seconds versus 10 seconds I think?). After you let the enemy eagle or whatever chew on your butt for ten seconds, start up your FSD and then continue on with your life.

Now, if you want to play the minigame, you need to find the point where it says "interdiction escape vector" and do your hardest to try and stay with it. If you win: you don't even drop out of FSD and your opponent gets to eat poo poo. If you lose: locked out of FSD for whatever I said above while the guy pulls the paint off your plane.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Dabir posted:

[C]haff, [V]iew. This person is proposing vertical thrust on your THUMB BUTTONS.

Why... why is that weird? Right now I have one thumb button bound to 75% throttle for dropping out of supercruise and one bound to target next subsystem. That seems more weird.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

CountingWizard posted:

Option B is that no one should respond to my post and simply digest it for what its worth. I wasn't looking for a response.

I don't think you get how internet forums work.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

The Locator posted:

I've only been playing for a week or so and I know to keep enough for a few re-buys. Hell, I have 10x more money in the bank than that guy did.

Thing is, the ship he lost sans any equipment whatsoever costs something like one hundred eighty million dollars. He probably wiped his bank account to buy it and expected to use it to recoup his investment, which is a shockingly bad idea.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Shine posted:

Price-wise, an A-class/milbulk FAS runs about 85,000,000. An FdL runs ~130M. As with every ship in the game, you can capably fit each of them for much less than it costs to A-class and get along just fine.

Performance-wise, they are both very good. FAS is basically a bigger, meaner Vulture that turns way better than you'd expect from a ship that bulky. FdL isn't quite as nimble, but it has the big fuckoff C4 weapon slot and is faster. FAS has excellent armor, FdL has excellent shields.

As far as I can tell the make or break point is you need to grind reputation to get the FAS. For the FdL you just need the $$$$. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I can't really invest some heavy time into Elite until tomorrow or the day after but I thought I might get some quick rounds of CQC in as if it were rocket league or something similar but nope. Even when I manage to find a game after 10 minutes of searching the game mode itself feels exceedingly poorly thought out, and even if I manage to slog through the exceedingly poorly thought out game mode the credits I get are a pittance and the experience towards my next rank disgustingly tiny.

Has anyone actually managed to attain an Elite ranking in CQC? If so that person's probably terrifying.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Jack the Lad posted:

I tried out CQC a while ago with a few other goons semi-recently. The gameplay is decent because flying is fun in Elite but the instancing/networking issues turn it into complete and utter poo poo.

We had several matches where only one of us could even see certain people on the other team. My teammates would be flying around shooting at (on my screen) nothing - it was ridiculous.

We also had a couple of matches where it quickly became apparent that the entire enemy team could only see one person on our team, who then died over and over.

I'm honestly just really out of love with Elite at the moment.

I played hardcore for about two weeks when I got the game and ground up 800m credits, rank 14 Imperial and rank 12 Federation, but weirdly I don't even feel burnt out; it's just kind of a 'bleh' feeling.

Just flying around is fun, but not enough to carry it for me. I think if there were a way to reliably PvP people that would increase my enjoyment enormously.
Can I have your money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

So I want to upgrade my vulture to a federal assault ship, which means I need to earn some ranks with the Federation. I'm currently unaligned in powerplay, is it worth it to pledge to one of the federation supporters for the boost I'll get to reputation gains? I was planning on pledging for Lavigny-Duval for the 20% bounty bonus, but doing so would decrease my reputation gains while I'm grinding federation bulletin boards, right?

• Locked thread